Start by marking “The One” as Want to Read:
The One

The One (Chloe Gamble #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Chloe Gamble knows three things: she's better than the tiny Texas town she grew up in; there's just one person she can trust; and she wants to be famous.

And what Chloe wants...Chloe gets.
Published March 10th 2009 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

You will either hate Chloe Gamble or you will love her. I came away from reading THE ONE absolutely spellbound by Chloe and eager for more in the follow-up, VIP LOUNGE.

When Chloe's mom catches her dad with another woman, it's all the ammunition Chloe needs to finally convince her mom to get out of the situation, get in the car with her twin brother, and drive all the way to L.A. Chloe grew up in the world of beauty pageants. She knows how to win and give th
whaddya mean I have to wait until DECEMBER to read the next book in the series? I cannot wait! I don't DO waiting! I will make it happen. YES I WILL!

and that is how Chloe Gamble would react to someone telling her she had to wait to read the next chapter of her life.

A suck you in murder mystery that takes place behind the shining lights of Hollywood, where the real heartache, drama, and murder happen.
Diane Ferbrache
I absolutely LOVE Chloe Gamble! A teen beauty queen from the small, middle of nowhere town of Spurlock, TX, she is determined to make it big. When her father cheats (again!) on her mother, and her mother actually sees the couple together, Chloe grabs Mom and twin brother, Travis, and heads to Hollywood with her $10,000 check from the last beauty contest. She’s smart enough to know that won’t last long, but she has a plan! After some missteps (including barging into a network audition), she mana ...more
Lauren
Going into this I wasn't expecting a whole lot. Possibly a page turner, but mostly another small town girl gets famous kind of novel. Though, it was a decent book that shows promise in being a great new trilogy.

First off, I loved the beginning it was mysterious and fully captured my attention, holding it for the first hundred or so pages, but soon after everything just kind of went off pace. It got boring and went too in deep describing the whole Hollywood world, making it hard to get through.
Stephanie
I was reading through some reviews about this book and wasn't expect much because everyone was talking about how it was just an okay book. However, I actually enjoyed The One...a lot.

I loved how the different perspectives - Nika's documentary, Travis' emails to his best friend and Chloe's own point of view - made up this book. It provided diverse angles that allowed the readers to get a sense of the people that revolved around The One.

I loved the characters especially Chloe and Travis because th
Kristin
The One is the first in Ed Decter's Chloe Gambel series. The One follows Chloe along with her brother, Travis, and mother as they escape her father and their tiny town in Texas. Although Chloe is new to the California scene, she has fame on her mind and uses her naivety to her advantage, even using a disaster moment to get her name out. While learning the ways of Hollywood and fame, Chloe faces challenges with her mother regarding paying the rent, as well as the difficulty of finding an educatio ...more
Yan
Summary: Chloe Gamble always has an aura of charisma and gets what she wants. But can she work her magic in Hollywood?

She’s been winning beauty pageants and providing for her family all these years. But after catching her father in the act, flirting with a girl about a year or two older than she, Chloe decides it’s time the small town to move to LA to leave with her mother and twin brother, Travis, in tow. Who else was going to decide, her mother?

And so the adventures begin. From finding the pr
Sabrina *The REAL Princess*
You either got it ... or you don't. And Chloe Gamble definetly has it.

If you don't know who Cloe Gamble is you might as well be living under a rock. She's the A-list actress up there with Miley Cyrus and Angelina Jolie. She stars in the hit show 'Cover Band'. Doesn't ring a bell? Well this should, she was THE Cloe Gamble to break in a NBC pilot audition. With no agent. Money. Experience. Sure, she got kicked out but within months she was the biggest actress known. Those big security guards that
T.V and Book Addict
The One is the story (1st in a series) about Chole Gamble. Chloe Gamble will stop at nothing to be famous. She knows she can do it, she was born for it.
She hates her small Spurlock, Texas home (YAY she's from Texas too!!..wants to leave but w/e haha) there's nothing for her there and why should she stick around anyway when her good for nothing father is out being a man-whore with girls about three years older than her?
Chloe decides she's had enough of her small town so she gets her mom and twin
Kimberly
Interesting presentation- the book is in a few formats- Nika May's manuscript notes, Travis' emails, and it's also told from Chloe's point of view.
Chloe is more than a beauty queen, she's a woman on a mission. She's fierce, ballsy, and a force to be reckoned with. And along the way in pursuit of fame mistakes are made, friends are found, and support comes from sometimes surprising places. It was a very solid first book that has me waiting to see what happens in the next book.
Erica
This was a pretty good book. I found it really interesting, and it totally kept me hooked. I'm definately excited for the sequel coming this December. The plot really keeps you hooked as well, though I felt it had its downsides just to the extremes it seemed to go to. The whole story is upon the basis of Chloe wanting to escape her home town of Spurlock, Texas. The fact that they just get in the car, and drive to Hollywood, and with all the stuff she does seemed to set back the book a bit in my ...more
Garrett
I had to read this for work...
Kelsey
I loved this book!
It wasn't one of those normal girlie books. Chloe Gamble actually had a real goal and worked very hard to get there. She didn't wait for people to do it for her, she didn't expect people to do anything for her.
I would recommend this book to almost anyone.
Olivia
It was okay. The first half was a little boring but it got better as it progressed. I'll be reading the next one, but not any time soon. The ending leaves you curious. I have a feeling that this series gets better as it continues cause the next one seems pretty good.
Veronica
Well this book for sure made me learn about hollywood. However I think the events that happened were just simply so unrealistic. It was a little boring, but over all it was an okay book.
Gab Rose
2 1/2 stars. From the review I thought that it was going to have a more mysterious, almost supernatural, quality to the story. I was disappointed.
Zoey
a bit cheesy. but good. just like pizza.=D
FantasyAngel
FantasyAngel marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sarah Cranston
Sarah Cranston marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Rianne
Rianne added it
Nov 16, 2014
Toni Koster
Toni Koster is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2014
Fairyt
Fairyt marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Mandi
Mandi added it
Jun 26, 2014
Good book, but... 1 2 Sep 16, 2011 11:08AM
  • Mary Jane 2 (Spider-Man) (Bk. 2)
  • Swan Fake (Cinderella Cleaners, #6)
  • Seeing the Elephant
  • Prophecy-The Fulfillment
  • Solace of the Road
  • GoldenGirl (Bradford, #1)
  • Shelter Me
  • The Comeback
  • Anarchy: A Novel (Advent Trilogy #2)
  • Grey Matters
  • Waiting for You
  • Hottie (Hottie, #1)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Ten Rules for Living with My Sister
VIP Lounge (Chloe Gamble, #2) Hot Mess (Chloe Gamble, #3) Expedition to Blue Cave Expedition to Willow Key (Outriders) Expedition to Pine Hollow