Start by marking “Another Way the River Has: Taut True Tales from the Northwest” as Want to Read:
Another Way the River Has: Taut True Tales from the Northwest

Another Way the River Has: Taut True Tales from the Northwest

Another Way the River Has collects Robin Cody's finest nonfiction writings, many appearing for the first time in print. Cody's prose rings with a sense of place. He is a native speaker who probes the streams and woods and salmon that run to the heart of what it means to live and love, to work and play, in Oregon. His characters--from loggers to fishers to cowboys to the ki ...more
Published March 15th 2010 by Oregon State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Another Way the River Has, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Way the River Has

jeremy
Jun 15, 2010 jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: oregon-pnw, essays
in one of the two dozen nonfiction pieces that comprise another way the river has: taut true tales from the northwest, robin cody evokes the essence of ken kesey’s magnum opus, sometimes a great notion, in a manner befitting a theme in his own work: "to the extent that nobility is achieved and heartbreak rendered, it happens in relation to the big-woods country and wild rivers and raw landscape that used to - and in some places still does - set the pacific northwest apart." cody, best known for ...more
Tom
Oct 29, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it
I saw this little beauty sitting on display in my neighborhood library. There was something friendly and familiar about it. I was delighted to find out that that feeling was founded in something real, as this book contains a story with the Clackamas River in the story.

Robin Cody is one of the few writers I've found who connect to the Oregon I grew up in, treating the Clackamas and Columbia rivers the way Twain treated the Mississippi and missouri rivers in his novels.

I admit that I read *in* thi
C.J. Prince
May 27, 2011 C.J. Prince rated it liked it
sometimes i want to rate this a 5 star but really i can only go for 3. if you like the northwest, want to read well described tidbits from boat building to river travel, bus driving, special needs children and indian busts, you will probably like this book. i never thought you could use too many similes or metaphors but the first half is so loaded with them i couldn't concentrate on the actual image.

most of these stories are previously published in newspapers or magazines. i see how cody tries
Jim
Nov 09, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
This book, for the most part a collection of essays written from (if I have it correct) from the 1990s through about 2007, is a fabulous read.

Most of the book covers Robin Cody's travels on a boat, which was given to him after he sort of helped build it, along the Willamette and Columbia rivers and their many tributaries. But more importantly, the many tales open up a lot of stories on the rich culture of the Pacific Northwest, covering early pioneers, including references to changes since Lewis
Stevan Allred
Oct 03, 2013 Stevan Allred rated it really liked it
Cody has a mind full of curiosity, and an umpire's even-handed way of looking at the world. It's a winning combination, and for anyone with an interest in odd and fascinating little corners of Pacific Northwest life, this is a real treasure of a book.

The book is loosely structured around the tale of a flat-bottomed plywood boat that Cody helps build, and is then given by its owner. The boat is christened The Turtle, and in it Cody explores the Columbia River from Portland to the ocean, with sid
Bill Brewer
Aug 25, 2013 Bill Brewer rated it it was amazing
I was given this book as a gift and was surprised I had not found it on my own. I would have bought it in a New York minute showing that the person knew my interest well. This is a great collection of stories by an author who does not write enough. I read both Voyage of the Summer Sun and Ricochet River and enjoyed them both immensely. This collection of writings is something you do not want to end. He is so human in his interviewing and relaying his feelings as he prowls through the Northwest ...more
Abigail
Oct 29, 2010 Abigail rated it really liked it
This was a fun and informative read. Cody brings the reader along for the ride on his adventures on the Columbia River and it's tributaries, interspersed with vignettes about his various jobs as well as the jobs of other northwesterners. I've always been connected to the are he writes about, having spent a good chunk of my childhood in the Willamette Valley and having returned to the lower Columbia (SW WA this time) just recently, and this book deepened my love for my home here. This read was a ...more
Wes
Jan 11, 2012 Wes rated it liked it
A very nice collection of essays, most of which feature either the Clackamas or Columbia rivers. Even the longer pieces have good stopping (pausing) points, making this a great book to read intermittently as I wait for the next book to show up from the Library hold list.

After the mountains, I miss the forests and the creeks dearly since we moved from the Northwest. Cody manages to capture "home" both literally, (the subject matter,) and figuratively, (in his pacing and style.)

Really a 3.5 that I
Marybeth
Mar 21, 2011 Marybeth rated it it was amazing
The Columbia River again is the focus of Robin Cody's book. The last I read was about his canoeing the length of the river. Fascinating facts I have encountered so far: the river "heaves more water into the Pacific than any other river in North or South America. The river carries ten times more water than the Colorado sends through the Grand Canyon, twice the flow of the fabled Nile." Really enjoying the book.
FrankO
Jul 15, 2011 FrankO rated it really liked it
Wonderful collection of non-fiction stories about living and water in the Northwest. It was particularly interesting since I'm familiar with many of the places/people about whom he writes. I particularly liked the story Miss Ivory Broom, about driving the short bus in Portland. Also liked his stories about his boat The Turtle that he took out on the Columbia.
Pat Kennedy
Dec 10, 2013 Pat Kennedy rated it liked it
He is a very good writer and the first few essays were wonderful to read but then they got repetitive and a bit monotonous. If you are someone who lives on the west side of OR it might hold more fascination for you but I got tired of the boating stories.
bookinglibrarian
Jun 18, 2015 bookinglibrarian rated it really liked it
After reading Cody's excellent "Voyage of the Summer Sun", I sought out other books of his (he doesn't have many, unfortunately)--but this colelction of wonderful stories covering pertinent topics in the Pacific Northwest is a good one.
Janis
Sep 13, 2011 Janis rated it really liked it
Reading Cody was like wrapping myself in a cozy blanket - it just feels good. Love reading about my spot on the planet.
John
Dec 02, 2010 John rated it liked it
This collection of short stories was well written and a pleasure to read. Cody truly captured the essence of the Pacific Northwest, its people and landscape.
Joel
Feb 26, 2011 Joel rated it really liked it
Wonderful book, great stories about boating the Columbia, interesting people in the NW
Casey W Glick
Casey W Glick rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Osu Press
Osu Press rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
Fd
Fd rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Thoreau
Thoreau rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Pete
Pete rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2017
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Sami
Sami rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2012
Bill
Oct 22, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it
Flows as easily as a day on the river.
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Brian K Friesen
Brian K Friesen rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2017
Sheesley
Sheesley rated it it was ok
May 13, 2014
Laura Jones
Laura Jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Skye
Skye rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
An Oregon native, Robin Cody is the author of Ricochet River and Voyage of a Summer Sun, both of which appear on the Oregon State Library's "150 Oregon Books for the Oregon Sesquicentennial" list. Voyage of a Summer Sun won the Oregon Book Award for literary nonfiction. Cody has worked as an English teacher, a dean of college admissions, a baseball umpire, and a school bus driver. He lives in Port ...more
More about Robin Cody...