Start by marking “Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  677 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A classic for thirty years, Intended for Pleasure is an easy-to-read reference book that combines biblical teaching on love and marriage with the latest medical information on sex and sexuality. This popular resource gently encourages married couples to make their sexual relationship the fulfilling experience it was meant to be. This is a complete sex manual, with basic fa ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 281 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published November 30th 1976)

Douglas Wilson
Jul 19, 2015 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago, and have been giving it away in my pre-marital counseling, also for many years. I recently decided I ought to read it again, and was pleased to see that the book had weathered the years well. There are parts that are a bit too "medically sounding," but there is a lot of good info here for young couples. I guess I will continue giving it away.
Mary_Ann
Feb 26, 2008 Mary_Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Written from a man's perspective, I felt like I4P was insensitive to women. The tone of the book was cold and matter-of-fact. Funny line, "if you do this...I guarantee..." There are no such guarantees because all bodies are different. The first edition was published ages ago -- and though it has been updated, it certainly feels out of date.

Books I'd recommend instead:
A Celebration of Sex (by Roseneau): For the couple, comprehensive, written by a licensed psychologist, Christian sex therapist.

S
Alexis Neal
May 26, 2011 Alexis Neal rated it really liked it
Extremely helpful. I liked this book more than Sheet Music, but I suspect that my preference is just a matter of personal taste. Wheat is a physician, so he includes a lot of medical information that Leman, as a psychologist, is simply not qualified to give. Parts of this book read like a textbook, which I liked--the matter-of-fact tone made the whole thing less awkward. More like hearing a doctor or science teacher talk about sex (as opposed to hearing your pastor or psychologist talk about it) ...more
Ricki
Jun 16, 2011 Ricki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book should stay in the 50's, when the idea of the wife as second-class citizen was normal. This book should either be massively updated, or discontinued. It should absolutely not be recommended to young couples nowadays without huge caveats about its insulting ideas about women.

I haven't read all of this book, and I am sure the sex tips and the trouble-shooting are very useful to married couples experiencing problems. However, the chapter on "How to be a Perfect Wife" portrayed a very unre
Tiffany Thomas
Aug 06, 2013 Tiffany Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for couples experiencing sexual dysfunction who want quick, accurate medical answers for their symptoms and challenges. It is not flowery. It gets directly to the point. Couples need not read the whole book. Just read through the table of contents and try chapters til you find your issue. Then head to the doctor's office with a possible diagnosis in hand so that you can be treated (if necessary). Most if the issues in this book require simple changes or manipulation a t ...more
Sandra
Dec 08, 2008 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any virgin having a hard time have sex with husband for the first time
Recommended to Sandra by: A friend gave it to me long before I got married
When I got married in 1999, I was a virgin and found out that I was to tight for sex. I was married a whole week before I read this book and the small section in there for virgins helped me and my husband so. My mother had the same problem and she wen to the doctor for them to open her up and she said it hurt really bad. The technique given saved me that trip and caused my husband and I to bond in an even more intimate way.
Mary Anne
Sep 29, 2013 Mary Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of my premarital counseling. I found it Biblically based and encouraging, casting marriage in a very positive light. It is extremely detailed in regard to the physical act of lovemaking in a Christian marriage and I would recommend it be approached carefully and with consideration of timing in a persons life. I would recommend this book for married couples and couples preparing for marriage.
Elisa Garza
Jul 02, 2008 Elisa Garza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, as a socially-conservative woman, I'm somewhat embarrassed to include this book on my list. To be honest, I haven't read it in years, but the book is very tastefully written (almost textbook-like), and it has a lot of great information - what you would get (or should get) from an ob/gyn or sex therapist.
Sarah Elizabeth
Oct 05, 2015 Sarah Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book on God's design for marriage and sex.
Sex was created for pleasure, but only within the boundaries of marriage, and again, ONLY between a MAN and a WOMAN. In this way does it serve to glorify God.
Sex can be a beautiful blessing, a treasured gift.

Due to a few descriptions and details explained in the pages of this book, I would only recommend to persons ages [AT LEAST] 18 and up. Especially if said persons are engaged, soon-to-be engaged, married, or soon-to-be married. Howev
Nathan
During my engagement, I was advice-overloaded. I received all sorts of books on marriage, many of which started saying the same things. If I had to narrow the field for future newlyweds, this book is in my top three.

With a spectrum of knowledge from newlyweds to couples in their 70's, not everything in the book directly applied to my wife and me. But it was helpful to see Wheat's scope (and tuck some information away for future reference).

Wheat takes a holistic approach to good sex. He writes, "
Amber
Jun 04, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is good for young couples and/or anyone who may not have taken an extensive course in human sexuality. I will probably revert to this book from time to time for reference, but most of what I read in this book I learned in college or psych books on marriage. It is important to get the latest edition of this book for the most up to date statistics and references/facts. This is a Christian book so anyone expecting it to not include what's considered Christian values would be naive - even ...more
Steven
May 25, 2015 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read for couples who are getting married. I would recommend this book to those conducting premarital counseling sessions.
Justin Tapp
Recommend Lehman's Sheet Music over this one.
Alyssa
Sep 23, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough and informed guide to sex within a marriage relationship. From healing emotional and relational dysfunction to fertility, pregnancy and stds, Wheat addresses topics like that are usually taboo in Christian circles and/or informed by secular perspectives with a godly perspective instead. This is an awesome read for newlyweds! If you have questions about sex, arousal and orgasm that you're not comfortable asking your parents, or even friends or mentors, this book is a great resource.
Jean Gunderson
Feb 18, 2014 Jean Gunderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
comprehensive sex education for Christians--everything from the wedding night to sex after age 80, from fertility to contraception, from reproductive health to dealing with medical conditions, etc.
Brian
This book might be helpful for some young couples, but others may find it doesn't teach anything not already learned from the journey through adolescnce. However, I could see this as being a good reference for counselors or pastors. Frankly, much of what is covered is the stuff of Cosmo or Men's Health, but from a Christian perespective. It also deals with a whole life perspective, and even has a few chapters on senior citizens.
Lee G
Aug 14, 2015 Lee G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books with this such well-balanced godly counsel for marriage must be rare these days. Glad a friend gave me this, and another recommended it. This was on point start to finish and very practical.
Clint
Aug 12, 2013 Clint rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: virgins
I read this years and years ago when I was going through a pre-marriage course at my then-church. I have to say the medical perspective is much more informative and in-depth than I've seen in other places. However, the how-to parts were too preachy. I would only recommend this book for virgins who have been led to believe that all sex is sinful and bad. For that person, this book is a must read.
Naomi
May 29, 2009 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha Ha....Yep I read this. Very good....great for couples to read BEFORE and right after they are married. I wanted to check it out before recommending it to a close friend who is getting married soon. Very biblical, but not vague :-)
Julie
Aug 12, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: premarital counseling, newlyweds, and married for awhile as a refresher
Recommended to Julie by: marriage counselor
Well written guide for Christian marriage, biblically based. Recommend for couples who've been married for awhile, too. Reminds you to get back to the basics - serving each other. Possibly a nice idea for a shower/wedding gift.
Marianne Ogden
Nov 11, 2007 Marianne Ogden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this to any newlyweds (or anyone else who needs to know.) I hate those books with pithy stories or moralizing. This book just gives the info ya need to know. You'll love the climax!... I couldn't resist that one.
Rebekah
Aug 01, 2014 Rebekah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, faith
We got these during our engagement and they were such a great resource that I bought copies of them for several of my also newly engaged friends. We chose them after a little research of so many other marriage resource books.
Anastasia Rose
Jun 07, 2012 Anastasia Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on God's real intention for sex. A great gift idea for an engaged friend (especially if she/he grew up in a sheltered Christian environment around people who might be uncomfortable talking about "such thing" =))
Carrie Allen
Nov 29, 2013 Carrie Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good, informative, Christian book. I read it in preparation for my second marriage. I really enjoyed it-it covers all the bases and gives Bible verses as reference. Very good, I really recommend it!
Julia
Dec 28, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: divorce-marriage
A book that I intend to keep! I appreciate this book because it is written by someone with a Biblical worldview and a traditional view of marriage...who also happens to be a medical doctor.
Kara
Jun 12, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
Some very interesting and good information. However, if you have taken anatomy classes or health classes some chapters are okay to skip over. A good read for a new christian couple :)
Amber
Sep 04, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing
My husband and I read this book right before we got married and now lend it out to every newly wed couple we know. It is good for all ages and is a must read for all married believers.
Cara
Feb 10, 2010 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As old a classic as it is (definitely my parent's generation), it seems that good sex books just do not go out of style. Definitely the best I read. Very practical, honest, and clear.
Meredith Tucker limoges
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is married or going to get married. This explains the all aspects of intimacy in a marriage. Something I know I didn't learn in school. :)
Gen. Ray
Jan 06, 2009 Gen. Ray added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oui
Aucune revue encore
Dr.Wheat identifie l'enjouement est un aspect important de sexualité, bannissant l'ennui et la routine, rendant chaque rencontre fraîche et nouvelle.
  • The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Sex and the Supremacy of Christ