Start by marking “The Best American Crime Writing 2005” as Want to Read:
The Best American Crime Writing 2005

The Best American Crime Writing 2005

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The 2005 edition of The Best American Crime Writing offers the year's most shocking, compelling, and gripping writing about real-life crime, including Peter Landesman's article about female sex slaves (the most requested and widely read New York Times story of 2004), a piece from The New Yorker by Stephen J. Dubner (the coauthor of Freakanomics) about a high-society silver ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Crime Writing 2005, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Crime Writing 2005

Kemper
A very solid set of true-crime stories. There's a wide range here from murderer to white collar scammers to professional thieves to an essay by James Ellroy explaining how Joseph Wambaugh influenced his life and crime writing. Good reading for true crime fans.
Harvey
- from the jacket: "The 2005 edition of The Best American Crime Writing offers the years most shocking, compelling, and gripping writing about real-life crime, including Peter Landesman's article about female sex-slaves (the most-requested and widely-read New York Times story of 2004), a piece from The New Yorker by Stephen J. Dubner (the co-author of Freakonomics) about a high-society silver thief, and an extraordinarily memorable 'Ode To Bar Fights' written by Jonathan Miles for Men's Journal ...more
Martha
Who knew? These are fascinating stories from major magazines and newspapers. I have been reading them as I can get them on ILL. In the one I'm about to finish there is a story about David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam serial killer who has become a sort of cult figure, having "found Christ" and quoting favorite verses from the Bible. He hasn't read the whole book, just selected parts. He has a website and fans, proving once again that anything is possible.
Guy
Any one of these annual series is well worth the read. A compilation of the top crime stories from such venerable publications as the New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Esquire, Rolling Stone, and the like. Don't assume it's all about murder. These stories are about anything to do with breaking the law, from murder to burglary to terrorism to embezzlement to impersonation. All fascinating.
Kirsti
My favorite piece was "The Family Man" by the amazing Skip Hollandsworth, about a straight-arrow suburban husband and father who is actually a highly skilled burglar and who feels compelled to hire ne'er-do-well friends and relatives on his jobs. "The Silver Thief" by Stephen J. Dubner and "The Self-Destruction of an M.D." by Neil Swidey were also excellent.
Robert Noll
Very interesting vignettes.
maija
Of the four books I've read from this series this was by far the most disappointing collection. I strongly recommend reading other installments from the series, but can't recommend this year specifically.
Ellen
The writing in here is amazing, and, since truth is stranger than fiction, there are some pretty compelling stories. My favorite so far is the death of the one of the foremost experts on Arthur Conan Doyle.
Joshua
Like a lot of these anthologies, some essays better than others. A few I'd already read in the New Yorker, but if you like short bursts of true-life crime in your reading diet, these are fun and easy.
Mark
Stories range from the famous NYT Magazine piece about human trafficking to New England's master silver thief. Good stuff.
Joe  Noir
All the volumes in this series are good. Non-fiction crime from a variety of sources, and covering a multitude of sins.
Rae
I enjoyed the first half of this book and then it went downhill. The articles just didn't hold my interest.
Neil
May 05, 2009 Neil rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thaddeus J. Struck
Some of the stories were lame. The Ellroy story at the end was really good.
Gemma
Nov 15, 2007 Gemma marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ooh, James Ellroy...
Shelley Dockery
Shelley Dockery marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Aug 15, 2015
Joe Natale
Joe Natale is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Samantha Jo
Samantha Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jon Evers
Jon Evers marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Ronnie Joiner
Ronnie Joiner marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2006
  • The Best American Crime Writing: 2003 Edition: The Year's Best True Crime Reporting
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2007
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2008
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2010
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Cad: Confessions of a Toxic Bachelor
  • Dick for a Day: What Would You Do If You Had One?
  • Job Hopper: The Checkered Career of a Down-Market Dilettante
  • The Rants
  • Too Far
  • Report from Ground Zero
  • More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics
James Ellroy was born in Los Angeles in 1948. His L.A. Quartet novels—The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz—were international best sellers. His novel American Tabloid was Time magazine’s Best Book (fiction) of 1995; his memoir, My Dark Places, was a Time Best Book of the Year and a New York Times Notable Book for 1996. His novel The Cold Six Thousand was a New York ...more
More about James Ellroy...
The Black Dahlia (L.A. Quartet, #1) L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3) American Tabloid (Underworld USA, #1) The Big Nowhere (L.A. Quartet, #2) White Jazz (L.A. Quartet, #4)