Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein, #1)

Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein #1)

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A soft-boiled detective story where "The Big Lebowski" meets "Fletch."

In the sixties, Harry Stein was the foremost authority on cannabis, writing a book on indoor cultivation and inventing thirteen different hybrids. Nowadays, he stays straight to keep joint custody of his daughter. But when a crop of "orchids" goes missing, Stein must re-enter the haze he thought he'd lef...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Tyrus Books (first published July 15th 2010)

Katy
Oct 31, 2012 Katy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy books with extremely stupid and hypocritical protagonists
Shelves: ebook, unfinished
Book Info: Genre: “Soft-boiled” mystery/Humorous Mystery Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I picked up a free copy of this book when it was on promotion on Amazon, then received the 2nd book in the series free from Amazon Vine in exchange for an honest review. As I result, I’ve decided to go ahead and review this book, too.

Synopsis: In the sixties, Harry Stein was the foremost authority on cannabis; writing the book on indoor cultivation, inventing thirteen different hybrids, and planting “Victory...more
Carmen
This book has a lot of problems.

Stein is a lovable, bumbling sort. He's a former pothead, a Pot King, really - who wrote a whole book about growing and selling pot, did some anti-government protesting, generally Fought the Man in a sort of justified haze. But when his wife, Hillary, stopped loving him and asked for a divorce, he renounced all drugs and his old lifestyle in order to retain partial custody of his beloved daughter, Angie.

One day a little baggie of pot appears in his mailbox. Appare...more
Sophie

Two related puzzles...a bit of confusion regarding how they were connected (at least in this reader) a protagonist about ten years younger than me but with enough experience of the 1970s' sex, weed, rock and roll, weed....oh and did I mention weed? I could relate to this guy, trying to man up to responsibly parent his 15 year old daughter, but kind of a loser nonetheless. Gainfully employed by an insurance company but still living with a longstanding reputation for breeding/ creating some of the...more
Johnny
A solid addition to the private eye genre and a series that all interested readers should keep their eye on.

The book's greatest strength is Stein, himself. The character is fully developed, flawed, and unique to the genre. He steps beyond archetype and feels human. While the other characters drop a little more into familiarity, Stein holds it all together.

The first half of the book works a little better than the end, but that's nitpicking and probably just personal preference. I tend to be drawn...more
Clifford
Described as a "soft-boiled" mystery, this book definitely doesn't take itself too seriously. Harry Stein, a former pot aficianado, gets himself involved in three mysteries at once. They're all a little far-fetched, but that's what the suspension of disbelief is all about. The point is that Stein is turning 50 and isn't really happy about where his life is at the moment. Chasing down leads and facing a little danger is just what he needs!

I'm no mystery fan, but this was a fun, quick read.
Lynn
The story, itself, was pretty good but I had real problems making it through all the grammatical, typographical and/or spelling errors. I read this on my Nook so I am not sure if just the e-edition is poorly edited or if the original hard copy was also so but it definitely affected my thoughts on the book.
I hate quitting a book when I'm halfway through, but I just couldn't stand it any more. There were a lot of characters that popped up from the protagonist's past which made the book feel more like a spin-off to a series which has already ended. It was too much for me to keep track.
Tracy Tibbels
I thought this was just okay... as a mystery, it really didn't have me on the edge of my seat... as a book about drugs, I wasn't really impressed with the intricate descriptions of the fantastic stolen "orchids" (I mean, these were INTRICATE descriptions, but... snooze-fest!).... as an overall book, I was somewhat disappointed in the writing... There were a lot of errors (grammatical, spelling, other typos, etc.), and really, I just couldn't get into the flow of the story. It wasn't what I'd exp...more
Josh
I'm relatively certain you'd have to be a stoner to enjoy this book. Being stoned while reading it probably would have helped.
grundoon
If strong resolution to mystery is important, you'll be sorely disappointed. But by all means do come for the other 90% - the characters and dialog in this counterculture romp more than make up for shortcomings elsewhere. About the only thing preventing me from immediately starting in on the follow-up is wanting to savor the anticipation. Truly a pleasure!
Bridget
I loved this book! I am fascinated with stoners which is why I wanted to review this book in the first place. I had no idea that the author would suck me in and then, when I turn the last page, spit me out. I hope Hal has many more books like this one up his sleeve.
Cheryl
I liked this story. It was different. I liked the humerous conversations. Harry Stein it is an interesting character. A 70's guy in a 90's world. (In this book Clinton is still president and he is awaiting Gore to be president.)I can't wait to read the next one!
Steven
Fun romp with great characters. Author is very facile with dialogue which keeps story pace-y and chuckle inducing. One of my top 3 reads in the last year. Will definitely look for more titles from this talented scribe.
David Ward
Damn!! From the title I was really looking forward to this book. Truly awful purple prose. I couldn't get past the writing to enjoy the story. DNF (Did Not Finish) 1/10
Nick
Lightweight, a little short, and occasionally a bit too chuffed with itself, nonetheless an enjoyable-enough read. Might stick around for #2.
Phillip Frey
Mr. Ackerman did a wonderful job of melding humor, parenthood, sleuthing - and murder, into a very entertaining book. I highly recommend it.
Ellen
Great book could have finished in one day but had to sleep
Elaine
Feb 12, 2012 Elaine marked it as started-reading-but-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I haven't been able to get into this book.
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Summer Sartain
Summer Sartain marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Buran
Buran marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Mir
Mir marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Jenn Baggett
Jenn Baggett marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Daniel Fevrin
Daniel Fevrin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Write Screenplays That Sell: The Ackerman Way Stein, Stung (Harry Stein, #2) Write Screenplays That Sell - The Ackerman Way Wearable Parables: Proverbs for Program People, Lessons for Life Stein,Stoned