Hip Tranquil Chick

Hip Tranquil Chick

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Hip Tranquil Chick addresses that huge but unacknowledged demographic of fashionistas equally at home at Bergdorf's and the yoga studio. The book is divided into two major sections that cover all bases for the style-minded seeker. "On the Mat" shares seven must-have modern-girl yoga sequences, such as "Healing Hip Openers" and "Negativity Releasing Heart Openers," and expl...more
Published February 1st 2010 by New World Library (first published November 1st 2006)

Angi Machos
Aug 31, 2007 Angi Machos rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: couch potatoes
Shelves: doingthings
I originally only looked at this book because I was searching for new yoga poses. Turns out it's only marginally about yoga. It's a really good book if you've been feeling stuck, or haven't gotten out much lately. Very inspiring. It will help you get your butt off the couch. And get rid of the old, ugly things at the back of your closet, too.
Riona
Hideous: Like Helen Gurley Brown threw up in the Spirituality aisle of Target's book section.
Kelly Tobin
May 06, 2008 Kelly Tobin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kelly by: kimberly wilson!
Shelves: previously-read
Buy the book here at: http://www.hiptranquilchick.com/shop....

This book is a super fun read! I read it on the plane on the way home to Boston, and then my Mom snatched it from me! I got another copy--- and I think I lent it to another friend. Needless to say I don't currently have my own, but you can
buy the book at: http://www.hiptranquilchick.com/shop....

Info from the fabulous website:

Finally a book for the busy girl-on-the-go seeking to combine tranquility with flair. Hip Tranquil Chick is a...more
April MacMillian
Aug 11, 2007 April MacMillian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yoginis
Shelves: spiritual, women
A practical guide to applying a yoga lifestyle. for any woman daring to be a little different, a little eccentric, a little fearless, this book can be great resource. Kimberly also suggests the resources that have inspired her, along with some great tunes and ideas in the "Om-Work" sections at the end of each chapter.

Kimberly Wilson started a yoga studio in her living room (lovingly dubbed the "Pink Palace", pink being her signature color). When her student "following" got too large, her studio...more
Debbie C
Ok, the name is super cheesy, and I'm not a fashionista...um...at all. But! This was a gift from a friend a few years back, and I'm just now getting to it. Coincidentally, I just finished reading "Flow," also a gift from a dear friend, and it became an instant favorite, one that I would recommend to others as a guidebook for life. I have noticed that HTC offers the same basic advice, but with an emphasis on yoga, that "Flow" does, although the latter is much more scholarly, longer, and more in d...more
Amanda
I had run into a lot of the ideas in this book from other places. However, I really enjoyed the fun, spunky presentation of this book. The organization of the chapters divides ideas up very well, and the topics are punctuated by shorter tips and sidebars to make it a pleasure to page through. The "OmWork" (super cute name for the personal growth activity suggestions for this yoga-based book) at the end of each chapter helps turn this book into a useful tool.

A friend hosted a girls' night in to...more
Em
Kimberly Wilson has a personable, chatty style of writing and her book aims to reconcile the practice of yoga with the western, commercial world which we inhabit.

The book covers areas from types of yoga, yoga poses, breathing and applying these techniques to everyday life. There are practical suggstions with regards to your home, your relationships and career as well as some good ways of using yoga to help you deal with lifes challenges. As with any book of this nature, you take what applies an...more
Mare S
I really enjoy Kimberly Wilson's blog and am still a beginner at yoga and thought this book would be a great asset. There were great nuggets of information and some of the diagrams of poses were useful, but I feel like the audience that this book attracts is probably aware of a lot of the beginner's yoga information.

I also think this might be one of those books that works better in audio format (less the yoga diagrams part) as the pages are very busy with tips, stories, the main information, and...more
Mar 11, 2009 Jennifer rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
Recommended to Jennifer by: Juliette (recommended the blog)
Shelves: 2009, yoga
ugh. While I think Ms. Wilson has good intentions, this book is just too contradictory. "resist consumerism! be happy with what you have!" "have five black skirts! have peppermint foot scrub! have bubble baths! have! have! have! have!" I kept reading it wondering if the author had been around four pages ago. Remember four pages ago? It was fun wasn't it?

I think all of the topics attempted are great - yoga, finances, fashion, etc - but I think there are far better books out there that are just a...more
K
I listen to this blog occasionally and find the author to be rather vapid and pseudo-spiritual. I can't really take spirituality advice from a woman who uses the word 'cute' so liberally and recommends buying a Marc Jacobs Stella bag after discussing the eightfold path.

She seems nice and does give occasional good advice, but nothing even slightly profound. I much prefer Steve Ross' 'Happy Yoga'.

Juliette Williams
Well intentioned, with great advice and a supportive vocabulary. I have been struggling with how to describe this book a bit more, but honestly - I think I'm just not really into Ms. Wilson's personality.

She's very driven, very focused on what works for her, and that's wonderful. It's just a bit too 'much' for me, I think.
Amanda
Despite the fluffy title, this book is full of useful information for someone just starting yoga. It gives an easy-to-understand breakdown of the spiritual principles of yoga and tips on using yoga to cope with life. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in giving yoga a try.
Minay
A pleasant book for adding simple yoga techniques to one's self-improvement plan. Calm, rational suggestions and information. Anyone can benefit just from browsing the book or from applying a principle or two. not a hyper disciplined approach unless you choose to put that emphasis on it.
Erin
Seemingly a little shallow at times (are we all really rushing off to dates, dinner parties, and fabulous museums?), this book nevertheless has some great instruction on basic yoga poses and how to incorporate yoga principles into your life both on and off the mat. It's a fun, easy read.
Jenn
Jan 18, 2008 Jenn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenn by: Stacey Angel
An insightful tool for those who like yoga, think they want to add more tranquility to their lives and those who are searching for more of their true selves. I appreciate the spirit of the book and the easy ways to incorporate yoga in to daily life. I highly recommend it.
Diana
Don't let the pink cover fool you. This book has great information for your life and your yoga practice. After reading this book I had two goals - become a yoga teacher and finish my graduate degree - I did both and credit this book with those goals. It's a very good read.
Jennifer Burns- Our Book Boyfriends
I've listened to Kimberly Wilson's podcast for what seems like eons. This book is an extension of that with practical advise and yoga poses. I really appreciate her positive approach to life. It's a wonderful read, and it's pink!
Donna Wynn
Sep 05, 2011 Donna Wynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves yoga
Recommended to Donna by: Karen Bourdon
This book was sent to me as a surprise from a long time friend, we share the love of yoga! This was such a fun and delightful perspective on living my yoga. I recommend it as a fun and refreshing read on yoga!
Dayla
After reading this book, I decided I needed to purchase Yoga apparel for use as my "casual clothing." I loved this book. It just made me feel good all over reading it. This book is like a day at the spa.
Natalie Held
Really light girly book but contains some great nuggets for creating a balanced and peaceful life. This is one that will stay on my nightstand to flip through for inspiration from time to time.
Kimberley
Fun, empowering, enlightening, if a little too lean. Still, a good jumping-off point for women looking to kickstart a spiritual practice, delve deeper with their yoga or initiate self-inquiry.
Leslie
I enjoyed this book -- a light easy-to-pick-up-and-put-down book that offers up great advice for achieving that "yoga-esque" balance in all areas of life.
T.
I really liked it! I love a pink, girly book. My favorite sections are: yoga, goals, and financial. I like the quotes sprinkled throughout the book, too.
Becky
I browsed this at my spa day in between massages. It had some really nice quotes that I will try and get to post here on my review.
Paula
can't wait for kimberly's next book "Tranquility" to come out! this is a great book for women who feel overwhelmed in life :)
Maggie Marton
Really adorable guide on applying yoga's principles to our daily lives, and the illustrations are really fun.
Carolyn
This book was like I wrote it myself! I beyond love it and will re- read it again!
Amy
A good book, easy read. Will be a 'good revisit parts of it' kind of book.
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
When not gallivanting in a vintage RV, you’ll find moi sipping fragrant tea, reading on a chaise lounge, practicing yoga on a leopard-print mat, or leading retreats globally.

Tranquil Space Yoga is my baby. I've also penned a few lifestyle books and created a complimentary pink planner, design eco-fashion TranquiliT, and hold master’s degrees in women’s studies and social work.

With a passion for...more
More about Kimberly Wilson...
Tranquilista: Mastering the Art of Enlightened Work and Mindful Play Tranquilologie 24 Tools o’ Tranquility Tranquility du Jour Daybook