Start by marking “Kiss in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Kiss in the Dark

Kiss in the Dark (Scarlett Wakefield #3)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,157 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
With Dan McAndrews's murder finally behind her, Scarlett has high hopes for a fresh start at Wakefield Hall Collegiate, the elite English boarding school her grandmother runs. Unfortunately, those hopes are dashed when her nemesis, the infamous Plum Saybourne, is transferred to the school. Plum wastes no time turning Scarlett’s impressionable classmates against her.

Scarlet
Published April 13th 2010 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss in the Dark

Jay G
Feb 20, 2017 Jay G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Although still not my favourite books, I must say that they are getting better as they progress. The only major issue I had with this one was one or two homophobic/raicist remarks - which were cleared up at the end of the book. I found Scarlett to be a lot less whiny and annoying in this book and she is starting to grow on me. She does still make me roll my eyes 99% of the time though.
Leah
Mar 08, 2010 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heather
I was hoping I wouldn't regret my decision to read this book, especially how I felt about book one and two. I would have been happy leaving this series after Kisses and Lies. But, seeing as this is an advanced copy, I thought "why not give it a try." Phew...I'm glad I did read it, because it was pretty good and it helped not to leave such a bitter taste in my memories of the first two books.

Anyhow, I stand by my previous review, Kiss Me, Kill Me and Kisses and Lies would have made a better comp
Maren
Oct 15, 2011 Maren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2011
I read the first three books in this series while I was sick this week and I've loved it. Maybe I just love teen detectives (Nancy Drew and Veronica Mars!), but Scarlett Wakefield's investigations are pretty great and her best friend/sidekick Taylor is as cool as any Bess or Wallace.

Although the second book is my favorite so far (half of it takes place in a sixteenth-century Scottish castle and all the characters wear aran sweaters!), I was really caught up in Kiss in the Dark. It sets up the my
Kathy
Sep 26, 2011 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel, while following the mystery/romantic-tendency of the series, solved its own mystery in the storyline, but unlike the others, it left with a second mystery far more outstanding and intriguing trying to hook the reader into a presumable fourth book. Whereas the previous books were spell-binding in their own right, this one didn't mesmerize quite as thoroughly and while still an easy read, was not nearly as captivating.
Becky
Jul 10, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad that I had a couple of uninterrupted hours in which to read this book, because I would not have been happy to have to put it down. Kiss in the Dark is a fun, quick read with a perfect blend of boarding school drama and murder mystery. Oh, and Britishness. It gains lots of awesome-points just for the sheer Britishness of the characters and the story.

Kiss in the Dark is the third book in a series (the first two are Kiss Me Kill Me and Kisses and Lies), but it's not really essential to
Kassidy Robinson
Kiss in the Dark is the third book in the Scarlett Wakefield series written by Lauren Henderson (the first two are Kiss Me Kill Me and Kisses and Lies). In this story Scarlett thinks that she is finally starting over since she has solved the murder of her previous crush Dan McAndrew, except now her arch nemesis, Plum Saybourne, has transferred to her school Wakefield Hall. During the story, when on one of their daily runs Scarlett and Taylor stumble upon a dead body. This is certainly not the b ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

KISS IN THE DARK is the third novel in the series featuring Scarlett Wakefield.

Scarlett is finally able to get on with life at Wakefield. The worst part of her routine is dealing with her nemesis, Plum, on a daily basis, and sneaking around to meet up with her boyfriend, Jason. Jason's dad and Scarlett's guardian, Aunt Gwen, have forbidden them to see each other. But life for Scarlett is never easy, and soon more excitement lands in her lap.

Taylor and Scarl
Lily
Nov 28, 2010 Lily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the strange death of her ex-boyfriend, Scarlett Wakefield changes schools. At Wakefield Hall Collegiate, things are different. Teacher's are more strict, and girls are expected to act in the most appropriate manner. When Scarlett's enemy, Plum Saybourne transfers to the school, things make a turn for the worst. Dealing with Plum isn't easy, as she continues to hassle Scarlett, along with her best friend Taylor and boyfriend Jase. When a mysterious death shocks everyone at the school, secre ...more
Nian
Jul 12, 2010 Nian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Hoping to leave the past that is Dan McAndrews behind her, Scarlett Wakefield's hopes are shattered when nemesis Plum Saybourne transfers to Wakefield Hall Collegiate. Soon, Plum is creating mini-Plums and threatening to destroy the friendship she has with Taylor and the relationship with Jase. Scarlett thought the sleuthing and deaths were in her past, but when someone on campus dies, and their death is related to someone close to her, Scarlett has to find the truth, or else.

Perhaps my favorit
Rebecca
Nov 03, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Scarlett Wakefield series, and I loved every bit of it. Kiss in the Dark is full of mystery, three different mysteries are presented and I was very curious about all three of them. Lauren Henderson is a terrific author who captures mysteries very very well.
Scarlett and Taylor are at it again, somehow mystery always finds them and of course this time like the other time, they can’t help themselves and just have to try and solve the mystery of the mysterious death.
As
Nan
Mar 03, 2010 Nan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the third book in a series, this is not the place to enter the adventures of Scarlett Wakefield's life.

The cover copy from the first two books explains that Scarlett's life takes an abrupt turn for the worse when her first crush died immediately after they kissed. Scarlett solves the mystery of his death in book two, and by the time of book three, her life has settled into a new version of normal. She's a student at her grandmother's boarding school (her grandmother is the sort of woman that
Briana
Nov 26, 2010 Briana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excerpt from my review below. You can read my full length and original review here: http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/2010...

"Kiss in the Dark is the engrossing third installment in Lauren Henderson's witty and suspenseful mystery series for young adults.................

The Scarlett Wakefield series has seemed to get more suspenseful and less predictable with each book. Kiss in the Dark was truly the most edge-of-your-seat and twisted book in this series thus far. It also had a darker and more se
Eccentrika
Un buon terzo libro di una quadrilogia. E' stato bello ritrovare la protagonista Scarlett e le sue avventure, la storia è carina e scritta bene come le precedenti, con un linguaggio molto scorrevole e colloquiale, è stata una lettura piacevole che non ha mancato di colpi di scena e misteri da risolvere. Il mio unico rammarico, ed è per questo che non posso dare al libro 4 stelline come si meriterebbe, è che solo una parte del mistero che riguarda questo libro viene risolto con la fine del libro, ...more
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
Jenny
Oct 10, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of this series and have devoured each of the three books faster than I probably have read any other series (with the exception of the Maze Runner & Hunger Games series).

Scarlett Wakefield's voice is such a refreshing blast of cool-headedness with just enough angst to make things interesting. She is strong with a vulnerability that she shares with the reader in such quirky ways that she is completely endearing.

I enjoy Ms. Henderson's timing with every nuance of the book. She k
Tara (Fiction Folio)
This is the third book in the Scarlett Wakefield series. I came across this series when searching for available ebooks from my library before going on a trip. Kiss Me, Kill Me, the first book in the series, just happened to be available, and I'm so glad that I got it! I am a sucker for anything British, so the fact that these books are set in England was a total win for me right from the get go.

I will admit - this book was a bit boring for me compared to the first two. It didn't seem to have as
Romita Puruswani
Liralen
Although I'd say that this book is better than the first two in the Scarlett Wakefield series - it stands alone, which is more than I can say for the other two - it felt like the literary equivalent of a cream puff: light, tasty, and altogether insubstantial.

I like some of the characters, and I'd like to know more about Taylor (assuming that the author writes more Scarlett Wakefield books, I'll read them), but I was rather disappointed by the cliched curveballs and by Scarlett's glaring immaturi
Su
Mar 10, 2013 Su rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Things were getting more complicated and fast in this book. When I reached to the point where Jase was accused for his father's death, I felt like skipping a few chapters ahead to see what would happen to him. Even though I found Scarlett to be really annoying as she kept sneaking off to see Jase, showing up at his house when he wasn't replying her texts, I hate to admit that I might be doing what she did as well.
Despite the fact that the book kept me going and I couldn't put it down for some c
Keri
Aug 26, 2010 Keri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Scarlett is FINALLY over Dan McAndrews death. What does she do now? Try am live life at wakefield collegiate. But then a mysterious death on campus occurs. Or is it mysterious? Scarlett and her friend Taylor figure it out. And discover more than just behind the death. And with plum at thr school now, things can get tough. And what is going on with Plum and Taylor?
It's a really good book. Again, a little romance, lots of suspense and mystery :D just like the other Scarlett Wakefield. And I re
Having finally cleared up the mystery surrounding her fatal first kiss, Scarlett the sixteen-year-old gymnast-detective thought she would have the chance to act like a normal teen. Instead, she is hammered with a succession of woes, including a vicious snob, Capulet vs. Montague-style romantic barriers, and yet another corpse. All this gives her much to be angsty and emotional about, to the point that at times it seems she will never suck it up and get around to solving the latest mystery. Also, ...more
Lara
Mar 29, 2010 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know...Scarlett is totally ridiculous, and Plum is so stereotypically obnoxious, and every adult is mean and/or crazy, but I still really enjoy this series. In this book we've moved on from Scarlett's original boy kissing troubles to Scarlett's new boy kissing troubles. Dating Jase has opened up a whole huge can of worms involving both their families. And what's up with Taylor (not what it looks like)? These books are just fun--teen mysteries are rare these days, and I like that this one ...more
Erin
May 21, 2013 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hated this book. It might appeal to very young teens, but it's not well written. It's hard to take characters named Plum and Scarlett seriously, the adults seem antideluvian and the teens not very realistically written. Plus, Scarlett's love interest never made sense..the gardener's bi-racial son after being involved with so many scandals? Really? And she's the future heir to the estate? How clich'e. The so-called mystery was apparent from the beginning. I'm glad I can swap this on pape ...more
Linda
Dec 26, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'm not sure about this series, not much romance, I wish there were more romance, a little less arguing with snobby girls,I know it's part of the suspense which you don't seam to get to the good stuff till the last few chapters, I started the series and I keep reading hoping it will get a little more intense. Scarlett left this time, trying to find out what really happened to her parents, and what will become of her and her new boyfriend now that they found out his family was involved. Set up fo ...more
Jessica
May 03, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens
This book will for sure keep you guessing. There's always something new to be discovered and it's has humor. The author does a good job keeping all the deaths just seem like bad luck instead of too much death.

It is a good murder mystery for young adults to enjoy. The young heronie is always off on some adventure trying to prove the right people innocent.

The setting is in a English Boarding School for young ladies run by Scarlett's grandmother. It is a cute story and a must read for teens who lo
Jannat Bhat ( Obsessive Compulsive Reader)
These books keep getter better and better. This third book in the Kisses and Lies series, continues Scarlett's story. A mystery lies at the heart of this story, as two feuding families and their issues go back generations, and everything comes to a head when Jase's father's dead body is discovered by Scarlett and her best friend Taylor.The connection between Jase and Scarlett is sweet and innocent with just a hint at something more to keep the reader engrossed.
Overall, Kiss in the Dark is an enj
Mrs.Mason
Anne
Sep 20, 2011 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, mystery, 2011
Book 3 in the series and I read it out of order. Because I read book 4 first, it felt like I already knew everything that happened n this one. Ooops.

Scarlett is a student at an elite boarding school run by her stern grandmother.. She's hoping to just lay low, but her nemesis Plum transfers as well. A mysterious death on campus reveals dark secrets from the past. But she needs to investigate anyway because someone dear to her may be involved.
Dolores
Mar 10, 2016 Dolores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 3 in the series and she still left the ending wide open to continue! I really like this mystery series. There aren't that many YA mystery series and this one is just fun. Great characters, some likable--some not so much, but all of them people we really want to know more about and a fast moving story--who could ask for anything more?
  • The River
  • Very LeFreak
  • Jessi and the Awful Secret (The Baby-Sitters Club, #61)
  • Sleepless
  • Saving Maddie
  • The Clearing
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • Shadow Mirror (Walk, #2)
  • The Queen of Second Place (The Queen Companion Novels Book 1)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Sword
  • Tombstone Tea
  • So Many Boys (The Naughty List, #2)
  • Whisper
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Anything But Normal
  • Where the Truth Lies
  • The Trust (Secret Society, #2)
  • The Space Between Trees
Born in London in 1966, Lauren Henderson read English at university and then worked as a journalist for - among other publications - the New Statesman, Marxism Today, the Observer and Lime Lizard, a much-mourned indie music magazine. Lauren now divides her time between Italy and London and, when not wine-tasting, writes full-time.
More about Lauren Henderson...

Scarlett Wakefield (4 books)
  • Kiss Me Kill Me (Scarlett Wakefield, #1)
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • Kiss of Death (Scarlett Wakefield, #4)

“Accidents illustrate that you have no control over your life, because from one moment to the next it could be taken away from you.” 15 likes