Start by marking “Earth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1)” as Want to Read:
Earth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1)
Preview

Earth to Hell (Journey to Wudang #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,360 ratings  ·  69 reviews
It is eight years since Xuan Wu, God of the Northern Heavens, living in Hong Kong as wealthy businessman John Chen, was exiled from the mortal realm. Emma and Simone, John′s daughter, are facing a new series of threats, while their best fighter, Leo, sits in Hell. They must persuade him to come home ... but, in Hell, nothing is as it appears.

On Earth, Simon Wong, the Demon
Published March 1st 2010 by Harper/Voyager (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Earth to Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth to Hell

Celia Powell
This was fairly dreadful. The previous books in this series were a bit of a guilty pleasure - Emma, an Australian nanny, falls in love with her boss John, who is actually a Shen (a Chinese god, to dumb things down a little). He teaches her martial arts, she's amazingly brilliant at it, everyone adores her - it's silly and fun.

In this book, John has died (but not really, because he's immortal - he will be back, at some point), and Emma has been left in charge. She's amazingly powerful and respect
Wulfae
It doesn't create suspense for a reader to want one answer for multiple books... It creates annoyance. I would like to know what Emma is, just because... You know what? I don't even know why. I'll wind up reading the next two, because they are in my library ebook collection.

The writing suffers from the characters never planning *anything* in advance. There are jarring breaks between scenes and situations, some of which left me scratching my head. There are characters who are just thrown in ther
Jeffrey
Apr 13, 2012 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read the Dark Heaven Trilogy
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Kylie Chan doesn't give you time to dip your toe in the pool before she throws you in the deep end in her follow-up to the Dark Heavens series. Things move quickly, introductions are only for the completely new characters, and references to the previous work are so oblique as to leave a new reader clueless and experienced ones uncertain.

Ultimately though, Chan's strong characterization and changed dynamic, this book takes place eight years after the end of the previous series, make it a highly e
Daniel Brandon
This is the first book in the Journey to Wudang trilogy, by the "Bestselling Author of White Tiger." Unfortunately, nowhere on or in the book does it mention that this is actually a followup trilogy, to the trilogy of which White Tiger is the first book. Bad marketing, bad! No biscotti.

So it drops you right in amongst a largish cast of characters that it assumed I already knew, eight years after a series of monumental events I wasn't familiar with. This made getting into it somewhat difficult.

On
Vannessa
I got this book from Netgalley as it sounded quite intriguing, but to be honest I didn't have a clue what was going on with characters for most of this book. Now having read the reviews, it is clearly obvious that I should have read the first series starring these characters as there was so much background info that I didn't have about them. Events that had previously happened in the other series were frequently referred to, but without having read them I didn't know what had gone on. As a first ...more
Solomon Wreath
1. Demon Prince 6 was amazing, perhaps a little too amazing...
2. Emma Donohoe does NOT GIVE UP.
3. Simone is growing up :)
4. Leo finally does something right.
5. THE ENDING
6. What a horrible wedding
7. The new characters have depth and attitude... not dissappointing.
8. One of the best mythologically based novels I have ever read
9. Chan gave these legendary mythological creatures attitude!
Robert
Being a continuation of the author's previous trilogy, containing White Tiger, Red Phoenix and Blue Dragon, I am pleased to admit that there is an ongoing improvement in the author's style, ever since the very first book.
In this instalment, the characters are much more developed, especially Simone.
The plot is still interesting, partly due to the Chinese mythology and also there is the occasional new character introduced now and then.
On a slightly negative note, with maturity and the ability of
Fiona Burgess
This book I found a little hard to get into at the start, I think because it came from a different angel, however it got better as I got further into it. I missed John but enjoyed watch Emma come to terms with what John had given her and seeing Simone grow up into the lethal protective member of the celestial heavens
Aparajitabasu
A good book but not in my league....thus I couldn't follow it one bit.....but presenting my views of Journey to Wudang #1 Earth to Hell by Kylie Chan.

Here is the summary of the book:

It is eight years since Xuan Wu, God of the Northern Heavens, living in Hong Kong as wealthy businessman John Chen, was exiled from the mortal realm. Emma and John's daughter, Simone, are facing a new series of threats. Leo, their best fighter, is sitting in Hell, but when they journey below to persuade him home, n
Robin
Jun 04, 2013 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like: Chinese Mythology or Mythology in general, Urban Fantasy, Martial Arts, Paranormal
This review is pasted for all of the following:
White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1) by Kylie ChanRed Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2) by Kylie ChanBlue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3) by Kylie ChanEarth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1) by Kylie ChanHell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2) by Kylie ChanHeaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3) by Kylie Chan

4 1/2 STARS

Reasons I bloody LOVE! Kylie Chan's "Dark Heavens" & "Journey to Wudang" (& soon to be "Celestial Battle") trilogies. . .

#1. You do not need to read the "Dark Heavens" trilogy before reading the "Journey to Wudang" trilogy. It wouldn't hurt, because you'll want to know what happened, but essentially, you can just jump right in at book 4 of the complete series or book 1 of "Journey to Wudang".

#2. These books are written with a lo
c a t h e y
One of my friends -- who has excellent taste in books, might I add -- recommended White Tiger to me. I didn't think it was as amazing as everyone else thought it was, but it was a very different sort of book and I persisted with the series. There were some genuine great plot points of the first series that outweighed the bad aspects (the writing; how everyone loves Emma's toughness and wittiness blah blah blah; the way that Simone "shouts" everything etc).

This is the first book in the second s
Dianne

Earth to Hell: Journey to Wudang: Book One by Kylie Chan

If you liked the first trilogy, this one is in much the same vein. If you're an urban fantasy fan but haven't read the first trilogy I recommend you go back and do that before reading this one.
I really must tell you that it is going to bed impossible to read this book if you have not read the first three books. In fact, I would strongly suggest a re-read to brush up on stuff. I haven’t read the series in about a year and even I was at sea
Jenny Delandro
I can not wait to get my hands on the next book!

This book was great and it flowed nicely allowing you to see bitas of the main story and fringe stories as well.

Leo is finally rescued from Hell.... demons had kidnapped him and made copies and the real Leo was what they thought was a copy (number 4) and he had a stone implanted in his neck which was making him do evil things... but Emma worked in out.
Martin is back and Simone finds out that MArtin made a deal witht he demon king to keep simone sa
Hershel Shipman
Warning to people who decided to read this book before reading the Dark Heavens trilogy: YOU WON"T KNOW WHATS GOING ON.

Now that's out of the way. It's a great continuation. I hate the fact that Mrs. Chan doesn't a least devote 20 pages out of a almost 600 page book to catching new readers up to whats going on, but I'm a sucker for somewhat epic story lines. Especially if they make me want to take up things like Tai Chi for fun. Unlike the previous and following book the main character doesn't su
Ambre
What a disappointment. I was really looking forward to this book, having enjoyed the other 3 so much, but honestly I think they cut corners on editing or something.

First of all, I honestly can't figure out what the main plot line was. There was just so much going on, all at once sometimes. There was no one thread to hang on to that the others wove through, it was a hot mess of subplots fighting for domination. I guess the Leo subplot won, but it didn't dominate most of the book.

Second, since th
Katrina
I wish we could give half stars - this was really a 2.5 star book for me. After reading the initial trilogy, I'm curious enough to see where it goes that I'll read the rest; that said, they're not on my high priority list.

The mythology is interesting, and Kylie Chan's knowledge of Chinese culture blends into the story pretty seamlessly. That said, the main character (Emma) is such a Mary Sue that she can be hard to read. Emma can do no wrong, make no bad decision, and is universally adored. Any
Barbara
I found this one a bit of a slog.

The setting is modern Hong Kong, overlain with what people if my generation with think of as "Monkey Magic" Chinese mythos. It's a good setting, showing some imagination.

To my taste, it has way too much dialogue and too little narrative text. Major, life changing plot points come and go in the space of a paragraph, and then we are back to pages and pages of banter.

Perhaps starting this series without having read the previous series in the setting didn't help:
Brian Palmer
I imagine, had I read the series prior to this, I would have enjoyed this book a lot more. As it is, the first half of the book is really quite good; I was enjoying it, and enjoying the rich backstory as characters are introduced. And then it kept going on, and on , and on; the action scenes kept coming in, and resolved not by any particularly great planning but by revealing yet another amazingly powerful character who's not what they seem.

As a standalone series, I probably wouldn't recommend it
Sarah Cameron
What an amazing continuation to the series. After eight years of trying to adapt to the change of taking over Emma must once again prove that she is worthy to be among the gods. She and Simone are faced with several tasks throughout the book. With Simone now a teenager, Emma becomes even more of a mother figure.

I honestly thought that after the ending of the first trilogy that there would only be sadness for Emma and Simone. However, there is much more hope for them. Emma and Simone do face much
Lore
I really did only get to page 40.
I know it sounds harsh, but this is the kind of book I avoid at all costs. Mainly cause I judge it by it's cover and assume it had a really crappy story.*
I wasn't wrong.
It sucked.
I didn't get far, but what I read just didn't apeal to me.
So I did what I should have done in the first place, apologised to friend and gave her back the book. But becuase I'm always such a 'give it a chance' person, I'm not very good at backing off when I face genres I don't like.

*Thi
Hazel
Why the hell (Did you see what I did there? Hell... Earth to Hell? No... okay) did I start reading this series again? I have no idea, this book got really boring for me.
Alledria
Biggest problem: 8 year jump and almost no reintroduction of the characters. I'm still enjoying the series cause I want to see how things finally turn out in the end.
Hannah
a bit rushed compared to the amazing first series. i felt like a lot of the plot points and abilities on Emma's part especially were completely abandoned to allow for a more helpless female lead, which is too bad because a strong female lead with Emma's full powers like she had at the end of the last series would have been bad-ass. still a really good series....i just have to detach myself from the first three books a bit more. am still looking forward to the next book
Barbara
Not bad, but not particularly good either. Mainly many battles which the good guys always win because they develop a new ability at precisely the right time. The battles are interspersed with guilt and angst and occasional bouts of mundane banality (e.g. pausing in saving the world to deal with student leave requests). I wouldn't start with this, but since I've read the first trilogy I was curious to find out what happens next. I did like the detail on Chinese mythology. An interesting change fr ...more
Laz the Sailor
This is the dreadlocks of a shaggy dog story. The author juggles a dozen swords, chainsaws, and fiery orbs so that as soon as one is dealt with, another arrives. It's exhausting and not necessarily rewarding. There are close to 100 significant characters to keep track of, and numerous locations in both the real world, the celestial heavens, and the demonic hell. Not a lot of depth to the main characters, but their actions define them, and there is a lot of action! But somehow, I turned the page ...more
Greymalkin
Matt Kelland
I tried, but just couldn't get into this. It didn't help that this is the second trilogy of the series, so basically it's book 4, although it doesn't tell you that. It's a wonderfully inventive world, and there's a lot going on, but without the background of the previous three books, I couldn't keep track of what was happening or understand why things were significant. Shame, because I wanted to like it. Big mistake on the part of the publisher.
Estara
I like the fact that the adventure story takes more of a frontseat and the awesomeness of the Mary Sue is dealt with matter-of-factly. The daughter of John Chen is clearly set-up as even more awesome, which makes a lot of sense considering her background and also as a typical, illogical teenager. The heroine and her helpers make mistakes with major consequences which I find refreshing. the series is still a guilty pleasure, though.
Crystal
Another great read that's hard to put down. I love that the main characters have grown and changed between series, (although maybe not a whole 8 years worth) but it still feels as though you're picking up with them where you left off.
Cami
I enjoyed this book but also find it difficult to read due to the culture being so different from my own. A lot of things that they do or that happen don't make sense to me. For instance, all the shouting at each other... I can't imagine anyone shouting as much as these characters do. Speaking loud maybe... but shouting? No. Aside from that, this is an interesting series and I intend to follow it to the end.
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Strangeness and Charm (Courts of the Feyre, #3)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • The Demon's Librarian
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • Wounded (Little Goddess, #2)
  • Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)
  • Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • IM  (InCryptid, #3.2)
  • Dragon's Moon (Children of the Moon, #4)
  • The Wounded Guardian (The Dragon Sword Histories, #1)
  • Apocalypse to Go (Nola O'Grady, #3)
  • The Devil & Venus di Milo (Witches Anonymous, #0.5)
  • Stone Cold (Broken Magic, #2)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
Kylie doesn't participate in the Goodreads network. You can find her fanpage on Facebook or visit her website at www.kyliechan.com.

Kylie Chan married a Hong Kong national in a traditional Chinese wedding ceremony in Eastern China, lived in Australia for ten years, then moved to Hong Kong for ten years and during that time learnt a great deal about Chinese culture and came to appreciate the custom
More about Kylie Chan...

Journey to Wudang (3 books)
  • Hell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2)
  • Heaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3)
White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1) Red Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2) Blue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3) Hell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2) Heaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3)

“The Serpent slides through the black icy water of the Antarctic, wreathed in permanent darkness.

The Turtle hides from the weak Arctic sun beneath ice.

They cry, but there is no answer.”
0 likes
“The Serpent raises its head from the water and slides onto the ice, the stars blazing above in the night sky.

The Turtle sinks to the bottom of the rich light-filled water, attempting to avoid the sun's brilliance and find sanctuary in the dark.

They cry. There is no answer.”
0 likes