Start by marking “The Eternity Brigade: Final Edition” as Want to Read:
The Eternity Brigade: Final Edition

The Eternity Brigade: Final Edition

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Hawker was a good soldier--so good, in fact, that the Army asked him and his buddies to sign on for an extended hitch. What they couldn't know was that the extension would last forever. Century after century, war after war, Hawker and his comrades were resurrected over and over to fight on alien planets with ever more advanced weapons. The reasons for the wars were incompr ...more
Published March 9th 2010 by Createspace (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Eternity Brigade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eternity Brigade

Raegan Butcher
Along with Joe Haldeman's THE FOREVER WAR, this is the absolute best depiction of disenfranchised victims of the corporate-imperial combine ever depicted in the science fiction genre. This is a superb book that just begs for a big screen adaptation. I have read The Eternity Brigade at least five times since I first picked it up when I was a sixth grader. This is one of my favorite science fiction books, period.
Anna Erishkigal
I originally read this book back when I was in high school, not so long after the Vietnam war that people still questioned why wars were even being fought. Even back then this story stuck with me, and was my first real introduction to the sub-genre of military science fiction. What happens when killing doesn't matter, death doesn't matter, all that matters is to complete the mission, with no understanding of WHY you are fighting the war or killing the guy in the blue armband, only to be put to s ...more
Janine Southard
Very cool, somewhat disturbing. This one has a lot in common with The Forever War without being quite as good. The government has figured out how to keep soldiers in cryo (then stasis, then pattern buffers) until they are called on to fight. This cuts down on costs, yes? It's also a voluntary program. Sort of. The differences in the world each time our hero wakes up, and the ways in which the program gets perverted until there is no escape (just endless war), sucked me in.

Also intriguing, this
Victoria Pond
Doctor Edward Diesel
This was a very enjoyable read. It gets quite out-there toward the end and I found it pretty compelling stuff. A must for fans of military-tinged sci fi with an anti-war tone.
Parsia
Great Read .. left me trembling by the end of the book !
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
The Eternity Brigade was first published in 1980. Major revisions have been made and the final edition was published in 2010. I’ve never read any earlier editions so I’m approaching this work as an entirely new 2010 release.

The concept of using cryogenics to make soldiers nearly immortal is intriguing. The story is told from the point of view of Hawker, an American soldier who is trapped in the army’s resurrection technology, as he is forced to become a pawn in increasingly bizarre wars that he
T. Jackson
"Stephen Goldin's scifi novel The Eternity Brigade (the 2011 updated edition) is much, much more than a retread of a Ringo or Weber "combat action-adventure in the stars" tale. It is a philosophical novel that looks deeply into the heart of why men fight wars, how men in combat bond with each other, and why the "command" of any war force is always way behind any of the frontline troops in understanding the nature of a particular war. There is blood, combat in space and on Earth and other planets ...more
Iraia Gravina
Iraia Gravina marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Dan's Obsessions
Dan's Obsessions marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Vincent Vale
Vincent Vale marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jimmy Lats
Jimmy Lats marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Shannon Haddock
Shannon Haddock marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Scott Nelson
Scott Nelson marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Mary Wright
Mary Wright marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
J Lynn
J Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Q&A with Step...: The Eternity Brigade 2 5 May 24, 2014 03:55PM
Space Opera Fans : The Eternity Brigade by Stephen Goldin 3 11 May 23, 2014 02:06PM
Born in Philadelphia in 1947, Stephen Goldin has lived in California since 1960. He received a Bachelor’s degree in Astronomy from UCLA and worked as a civilian space scientist for the U.S. Navy for a few years after leaving college, but has made his living as a writer/editor most of his life.

His first wife was fellow author Kathleen Sky, with whom he co-wrote the first edition of the highly accla
More about Stephen Goldin...
Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9) Jade Darcy and the Affair of Honor (The Rehumanization of Jade Darcy, #1) Shrine of the Desert Mage (Parsina Saga #1) Jade Darcy and the Zen Pirates (The Rehumanization of Jade Darcy, #2) The Storyteller and the Jann (Parsina Saga,# 2)