Start by marking “The Small Boat of Great Sorrows” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Small Boat of Grea...

Dan Fesperman

The Small Boat of Great Sorrows (Vlado Petric #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  252 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Vlado Petric, former detective in war-torn Sarajevo, has left his beloved homeland to join his wife and daughter in Germany, where he scratches a meagre living among the dust of former conflicts on the building sites of the new Berlin.

Returning home one evening, he finds an enigmatic American investigator waiting for him in the small apartment he now shares with his wife a
Hardcover, Large Print, 584 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Thorndike Press

To ask other readers questions about The Small Boat of Great Sorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Small Boat of Great Sorrows

Danielle
I bought this book at a reduced prize some weeks ago just to find out it is a sequel. Luckily it turned out to be a stand-alone story. You don’t need to read the first book ‘Lie in the dark’ in order to understand more about Vlado Petric’s past.

When the reader meets Vlado, a former Bosnian homicide detective in ‘Small boat of great sorrows’ in Berlin, we learn his is in exile and now working at construction site. Luckily for us, he is approached and recruited by Calvin Pine, an American investi
Speesh
May 16, 2014 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really excellent book, that might start off slowly and studied and have you wondering where all this is going, but really gets underway in the second two-thirds and makes up for all the ‘what’s this all about then?’ of the first part. It then delivers an exciting, thought-provoking final climax.

Anyway…

It is about one Vlado Petric, a Bosnian ex-Policeman, who escaped from the troubles and is now working on a building site in Berlin. He is found, tracked down and recruited by some Ameri
Jay Fromkin
Nov 07, 2011 Jay Fromkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Fesperman's The Small Boat of Great Sorrows intertwines the horrors of World War II and the Bosnian war in this suspenseful novel of treachery in wartime and its aftermath.

Vlado Petric is an expatriate Bosnian cop, working on an excavation project in Berlin to support his wife and child. Out of nowhere, Petric is approached by an American investigator for the War Crimes Tribunal with a short-term job and a long-term opportunity: help us arrest a Serb war criminal from World War II, which wil
Ernest
Aug 07, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vlado Petric, a former detective in Sarajevo, is drawn back into that world via International War Crimes Tribunal investigator Calvin Pine. This is complex not only on a personal emotional level, but as the murky world of politics threatens to interfere, his personal life and history becomes involved and not everyone is telling others the full truth.

This is an intelligent novel, with the author’s knowledge of the area and time clearly evident. It is a deep novel at times, yet unfortunately somet
Dianne
Jan 29, 2011 Dianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, political
An interesting and topical plot.

Vlado Petric, an ex-detective Bosnian refugee from Sarajevo working on a building site in Germany, is approached to help the War-Crimes Tribunal in the Hague. The hunt is on for the Serbian General Andric indicted for the massacres at Srebrenica. But in order to be even handed, it is decided to prosecute a notorious Ustashe guard from the second world war killing camp in Yugoslavia, Jasenovac.

So the two stories intertwine, one from the present the other from WWII,
Jemera Rone
The enterprising Sarajevo detective is summoned from day labor in Berlin to work for the International Criminal Court which wishes to use him to bait a Serban war criminal. After mamy conflicting relevations about his long-dead father, he strikes gold.
Mike Zickar
Always good to read about former Yugoslavia; this book was great for about the first 2-3rd, and then I felt like the final 3rd just sort of made it through the finish line. Fesperman is an engaging writer who has a real sense for these spy/mystery thrillers. . .
Elizabeth Wood
May 05, 2014 Elizabeth Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
Former detective Vlado Petric left his beloved Balkan home to join his wife and daughterin Germany, but when asked to return to Croatia to help the War Crimes.
Good story set round events of which my knowledge is somewhat hazy. Well worth reading.
Jennie
I like Vlado Petric and was glad to have a chance to check in with him. The story was interesting: he's called in on a war crimes tribunal investigation to help bring in criminals from both WWII and the recently-ended war in Bosnia.

A twist in the story gives Vlado his incentive, but I felt that the resolution to that twist was a bit of a cop-out on Fesperman's part and it would have been more interesting for him to explore the true ramifications of that twist. Otherwise, I enjoyed it and like I
Linda
Nov 16, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
I'm planning to read everything that Fesperman has written. He is a wonderful writer. This story follows the life of Vlado Petric,a Bosnian policeman who had to flee Sarajevo in the book Lie in the Dark. This story finds Vlado now working in Berlin at construction sites. An American from the Hague War Crimes Tribunal looks him up and offers him a job tracking down an picking up a Bosnian war criminal hiding out in a small Bosnian village. The story of the Balkans is fascinating and Fesperman is ...more
Adrian
Sep 12, 2015 Adrian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tad slow in the setup. Looking back, the plot was intricately woven with immense revelations towards a satisfactory conclusion.
Valissa
"[An Englishman's worse,] he reads a few books and thinks he has it worked out, but at least he usually has the good grace to keep it to himself."

"He inhaled deeply, smelling turned earth, the resinous bite of the pines. At times like these the general found it easy to imagine the hills were enchanted, a place where mere farmers and peasants slipped their skins by night to become ogres and knights, gliding into the trees to joust and thrust in secret, writing new chapters in the lore of the forb
Jim
Dec 19, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gathering dust on my bookshelf for about three years, I finally turned to this novel wondering if it would match Le Carre, as the blurbs seemed to infer. And it was good, but more in the style of a Robert Harris or a Robert Wilson, leaving me wondering what it was about Le Carre that raised his novel above the ordinary? I couldn't tell you, I just know it when I see it.
Mady
May 21, 2011 Mady rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, 2011
Hm, no reviews in goodreads on this one...

Planned to read this one in preparation for an upcoming trip. However, had to return it to the library without having finished it (but had already given up on this).
It wasn't very bad, it was just not interesting enough in a period where too much is going on and it's hard for me to focus on a book...
Jen
May 20, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoy this author - and now having read 3 of his books, they all make you want to learn more about the historical aspect of each book. This book in particular deals with post Balkan genocide and events in WWII. As a former war correspondent (in Berlin during the former Yugoslavia war), you are aware he is writing from his experience.

Celia Pastoriza
Feb 25, 2008 Celia Pastoriza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
This book definitely provided me with insight into life in the Balkans, and I enjoyed reading it very much. There were flaws however: a prologue that ends up having nothing to do with the plot, a point of view that only shows up once and then disappears, and a plot that loses some believability the farther afield it goes.
Lila
Oct 12, 2010 Lila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I started reading this on my trip to Sarajevo. I had read his earlier book set during the war. This is especially interesting to me now as I can imagine the settings. There is an unusual twist to the plot in that the war crimes being investigated were WWII crimes, not crimes from the more recent conflict.
Beth
Jan 14, 2009 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed the first book in this series more than this one. Set in mainly Bosnia and Italy a Bosnian detective is trying to track down a WWII war criminial. Too many coincidences happened to help solve the mystery to be believable. The conversation also seemed awkard at times.
Al
Apr 27, 2009 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent tale of intrigue which links the pursuit of WWII war criminals with the pursuit of the same from the more recent Bosnian conflict. The author does a nice job of weaving together the plots and sub-plots into a very interesting story.
Joe
Apr 20, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good follow up to Lie in the Dark, with Det Petric returning whilst living in Berlin, I felt this was much more fast paced than 1st book. Will be interesting to see if author writes any more books with Det Petric.
Jun 09, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite mystery of all time, but I liked the settings (Bosnia, Germany, Italy). Also marks second book in a row that I've read with significant action in an Italian lemon grove.
Eric Stone
May 26, 2011 Eric Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sort of the follow up to Lie in the Dark. Truly wonderful book, though if I had to go to a desert island with just one of them, it would probably be Lie in the Dark.
Kaylol
Oct 10, 2012 Kaylol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The war references, details and the like made it too heavy to enjoy, at least for me.
Christopher Culp
Good but not his best. It was slow in parts, but nevertheless an overall good read.
Marian
Jan 07, 2016 Marian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good thriller with very slow start, that keeps you turning pages afterwards...
Caty Clifton
Not much, interesting story but gave up on the writing . Did not finish
Elephant Bookstore
Nov 27, 2013 Elephant Bookstore rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: max
meh....not terrible, but the point of these books is lost on me.
Teresa Thompson
Oct 08, 2010 Teresa Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serbia, Croatia, Yugos, Germany - very interesting story.
Carrie
Sequel to Lie in the Dark - great to revist the characters.
Ellen
Apr 23, 2010 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really excellent international mystery
  • Liberation Movements (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #4)
  • The Darkling Spy
  • Siro
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • The Network
  • Second Violin (Inspector Troy, #6)
  • The Swiss Spy
  • The Final Country
  • Choice of Evil (Burke, #11)
  • Lehrter Station (John Russell, #5)
  • The Widow Killer
  • The Silent Oligarch (Ben Webster, #1)
  • The Vanished Hands (Javier Falcon, #2)
  • Rosa (Berlin Trilogy, #1)
  • Spies of the Balkans (Night Soldiers, #11)
  • The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5)
  • Dark Flight (Rhona MacLeod #4)
  • Death's Door
Dan Fesperman’s travels as a writer have taken him to thirty countries and three war zones. Lie in the Dark won the Crime Writers’ Association of Britain’s John Creasey Memorial Dagger Award for best first crime novel, The Small Boat of Great Sorrows won their Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award for best thriller, and The Prisoner of Guantánamo won the Dashiell Hammett Award from the International Asso ...more
More about Dan Fesperman...

Vlado Petric (2 books)