Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Soul” as Want to Read:
Chicken Soup for the Soul

Chicken Soup for the Soul

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  23,516 ratings  ·  473 reviews
Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers share the very best of their collected stories and favorite tales that have touched the hearts of people everywhere. Canfield and Hansen bring you wit and wisdom, hope and empowerment to buoy you through life's dark moments.
Published July 1st 2001 by HCI (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Soul

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerMiles to Go by Miley Cyrus
The Worst Books of All Time
48th out of 5,908 books — 16,669 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoGetting Things Done by David Allen
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
18th out of 829 books — 1,088 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Mar 28, 2015 mark monday marked it as unread-forever
¡REVIEW #500!

one fine summer day, young mark monday - aged 4 or 5 - was tooling around the neighborhood on his Big Wheel. he was a happy lad and liked to make others around him feel happy too. this outlook soon saw its first challenge when he wheeled up to his friend Tommy - who looked miserable and had clearly been crying.

"What's the matter, Tommy?"

"Dad's going away!"

young mark monday was a military brat and so was Tommy, so mark knew exactly how he felt. he had felt the same way, many times. b
مصطفي سليمان
و ان فيه ناس مرت باللي انت مريت بيه
وانك مش ملبوس ولا شئ
احبه احبه هذا الكتاب
Leftbanker
The Goodreads blurb for this book describes the authors as, “Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers.” Other famous inspirational speakers: Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Dale Carnegie, Jim Jones, Tony Robbins, Richard Simmons, and Reverend Lovejoy from the Simpsons, to name only a few. Not very good company to keep. Let's just consider that word for a moment. Inspire: to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural. Do you really want to be guided or influenced by these two huckst ...more
Lindsay
I liked this book. Tried to read a story from it every night so that I could be a little more positive the next day. It's a good reminder that even when things seem down, you are able to overcome them and smile and still enjoy life. A lot of the stories got me thinking, and made me thankful for the things I have. A good read when you need a little pick-me-up.
Mahdi
كتابى پر از شعارهايى مثل "مثبت فكر كن تا كيهان آرزويت را برآورده كند" و رازهاى موفقيت و...
من فقط به عنوان يه متن انگليسى خوندمش، وگرنه از اين جور كتاب ها چندان خوشم نمياد. قبلاً توی ریویوی مردان مریخی زنان ونوسی راجع به راجع به کتاب های روانشناسی عامّه پسند نوشته بودم.

هر چند بی انصافی نباید کرد. بعضی از داستاناش خوبن. ولی بیشترشون مبتنی بر عنصر اتفاق و تصادفن، یعنی نویسنده نمی تونه ادعا کنه که "حتماً برای شما اتفاق می افتد"، بلکه صرفاً می تونه بگه "شاید برای شما اتّفاق بیفتد"؛ در نتیجه خواننده
Lisa Ryan
I loved this collection of short-stories. They are inspirational, motivational, and beautifully written. Many made me cry, which is also very cathartic.

The real magic behind the Chicken Soup Series is knowing the effort that Jack Canfield put into the promotion of this book before it became popular. After being turned down 144 times, he persisted. He is a model of passionately pursuing your dreams until they are realized.

I also had the chance to meet Jack Canfield at the premiere of the Keeper o
Patrick Gibson
“Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil.

The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earths crust above me…”

And she grew.

The second seed said, “I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me I may damage my delicate sprouts.”

And so she waited.”

MORAL OF THE STORY: Seeds can’t talk, jerkoff. And havi
Beata R
About as spiritually enriching as the inspirational quotes you find on packets of instant oatmeal. If Nicholas Sparks were a motivational speaker, he would have churned out these tepid pieces of crap while bingewatching "Touched by an Angel."
Emma
I am done with self-help mumbo-jumbo... Don't tell me another story about this person who achieve this without giving me names, dates and factual evidence that is referenced!
Nancy
This book was given out at work. Very readable and unoriginal. I'm far too cynical to enjoy and find deep meaning in stories like these.
Rachel
I've heard a lot about this book over the years and always imagined it would be soppy clap trap, but I actually really enjoyed it! I think I have to admit to myself that I love a feel good story- I suppose I've always thought it "un-cool" to like this kind of feel good, happy hopeful book, but as I get older (yes, I know, I'm only 25) I realise that what's cool doesn't matter, and if it makes you feel good- why not read it! I admit I cried whilst reading this book. If you're a cynic like I was g ...more
Joolz
Once started, couldnt put it down! A real heart warmer, lifted my spirits no end, even when I didnt realise it needed lifting. TBH, it restored my faith in mankind, esp after watching the news all the time. This would also make a great gift for a reader or any genre, if they dont like it, then there must be something wrong with them! Many a time i found myself laughing out loud, crying to myself or just stopping to think to myself at the though-provoking story I had just read. Will definately re ...more
Travis
I think the best thing in this book is the section about John Goddard, a kid who sits down and makes a "life's list" or a "bucket list" as it was popularized by the movie. And that kid did some absolutely amazing things! I was blown away, and still make copies of that story to share with teens when I teach them. It strongly influenced my habit of setting goals and trying to keep track of the adventures that I do have. But to be honest, I can't remember many (any?) of the other stories.
Bogdan
Everyone finds his own interpretation of the information read here. If you seek for answers or opinions you will find them rather different. I liked the book a lot and will turn back to it many times more in the future.
Anna-Kathrin
I once spent the night at an acquaintance’s house and forgot to bring any books. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot survive without books and hence, I asked my friend if she could lend me a book. Sadly, she and her husband did not own many books, and Chicken Soup for the Soul was one of the few they did own. I had never heard of this book before and innocently started to read. Oh. My. God. This is one of the worst books I have ever read. The short stories and poems inside are supposed to be ...more
Unfortunately, I had to throw this book away after reading it. I'd worn it out. Whole sections could no longer be held together with tape.

Even though this was a re-reading, and many of the stories have become wayyyyyyy too familiar over the years (the starfish story), the stories still had the power to make me cry... even in front of my students (who were silently reading their own versions of Chicken Soup).

I'm buying a new copy for next year.
AhmEdElsayEd

" هذا كتاب ملهم ، يتميز بالدفء والحميمية ويهدف إلى السمو الخلقي . والكتاب مليء بالأفكار والعبر التي تمثل دروساً نستفيد منها جميعاً في إصلاح أية ناحية من نواحي الحياة ، لذا فعليك أن تقرأ الكتاب بعناية وتتدبر فيما تقرأ جيداً ثم تعيد القارءة مرة بعد أخرى حتى تتحقق لك الفائدة القصوى . "

براين تراسي

أفضل طريقة للتنمية البشرية عرض قصص حقيقية
أفضل ميون مرة من مؤتمرات وكتب ومحاضرات سبوبة التنمية البشرية

Rebecca McNutt
I honestly didn't find this book inspirational - just incredibly hokey. In fact, it could be compared to The Teletubbies (both are incredibly lame). The only thing it's good for is passing the time and I think I'll be avoiding this series from now on.
Hawra
أملك نسخة من هذا الكتاب منذ كنتُ في الإعدادية ولسببٍ ما قررتُ قراءته هذا الصيف، هو جميل فعلاً، يجعلك تعيد النظر إلى الحياة والإمكانيات المتوافرة، يدعوا هذا الكتاب إلى العديد من القيم الأخلاقية الجميلة التي يجب أن يلتفت لها المرء، خلّاق مفيد جداً.. ولا بد للبعض أنّ يعرّج عليه ولو مرة في العمر. علاجٌ جيد للمكتئبين والسوداويين هههه.
Ashwini
Though I prefer reading novels than short stories, some of the stories in this book were simply touching. While some change the way I look at things, some actually made me wonder if miracles are for real.. Must say, this book was well compiled!
Cassandra Kay Silva
I read this. I admit it. It was awhile ago and someone gave it to me for free. It's absolutely not my style and pretty stupid.
Behzad
This book helped me make it through some of the darkest years of my life. Terry Eagleton says that realism is (or was, when it first emerged) a highbrow literary school. The upper classes had experienced the isolated beauty of life so often that they felt bored with it; they decided that they could use some real life tragedy and dirt. So they set out and established "realism". Laborers, on the other hand, actually lived what the upper classes were curious and wanted to read about every single da ...more
Shae
For my goodreads book, I choose Chicken Soup for the Soul. The book had 101 stories, the longest story was about 6 pages long. Every story is by a different person.

The author's purpose of this book, I believe is to open hearts, and rekindle the spirit, and to try and change the way the readers look at things. I believe this because every story in this book is sweet, and makes your heart feel warm, or it gives you a good vibe, or makes you smile!

The theme of this book is remembering the good
Wesam Karam
جمممممممممممممميل جدا جدا
وقريته وخدت منه كمان ك>ا اقتباس
Christine
A beautiful novel I had the chance to read in highschool!
Olivia Carter
In the book Chicken Soup for the Soul it taught me many different life lessons. In this book written by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen and their main purpose and theme for writing this book is so others can learn and read about peoples own experiences on love, death and dying, parenting and also about overcoming obstacles in life that us as teenagers have to face, such as peer pressure. Out of all of the stories and topics in the book, my favorites were the stories about love.
One story tha
Paige Tebrugge
The book, Chicken Soup for the Soul, taught me a lot of lessons and helped me relax. It is a #1 New York Times Best Seller. The authors, Jack Carnfield and Mark Victor Hansen, put stories that they found or were sent in by people together to make up this book. There are various stories on different topics. There are stories on love, on parenting, on teaching and learning, on death and dying, a matter of perspective, a matter or attitude, overcoming obstacles, and electric wisdom. The stories th ...more
Huda

أعتقد أن هذا يفسر الأمر

الكتاب مليء بالقصص الجيدة
شكرا شيماء لمساعدتي على التغلب على عقدة الدجاج تلك
Here with the champ congrats you look incredible 1 1 Jun 05, 2015 10:39PM
Incorporated a lodging venture a cleaning plant and a few 1 1 Jun 04, 2015 04:00AM
christian support...: Books; Chicken-Soup 1 9 Sep 27, 2013 03:23PM
  • Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life
  • Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out
  • Ten Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives
  • Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
  • Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life
  • You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want
  • The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens
  • Children's Letters to God: The New Collection
  • Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
  • A Cup of Comfort: Stories That Warm Your Heart, Lift Your Spirit, and Enrich Your Life
  • Being Happy!
  • The Color Code: A New Way to See Yourself, Your Relationships, and Life
  • Where To Find It In The Bible The Ultimate A To Z Resource Series
  • The Inspirational Study Bible: Life Lessons from the Inspired Word of God -New King James Version
  • This I Believe 2
  • Crossing Over

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...
The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

“Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try.” 307 likes
“There is no right reaction. There is only your reaction.” 22 likes