Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Soul” as Want to Read:
Chicken Soup for the Soul

Chicken Soup for the Soul

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  27,658 Ratings  ·  582 Reviews
Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers share the very best of their collected stories and favorite tales that have touched the hearts of people everywhere. Canfield and Hansen bring you wit and wisdom, hope and empowerment to buoy you through life's dark moments.
Published July 1st 2001 by HCI (first published 1993)

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
The Worst Books of All Time
53rd out of 6,373 books — 17,417 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
22nd out of 1,108 books — 1,411 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Mar 28, 2015 mark monday marked it as unread-forever
¡REVIEW #500!

one fine summer day, young mark monday - aged 4 or 5 - was tooling around the neighborhood on his Big Wheel. he was a happy lad and liked to make others around him feel happy too. this outlook soon saw its first challenge when he wheeled up to his friend Tommy - who looked miserable and had clearly been crying.

"What's the matter, Tommy?"

"Dad's going away!"

young mark monday was a military brat and so was Tommy, so mark knew exactly how he felt. he had felt the same way, many times. b
مصطفي سليمان
علشان تعرف انك علي الاقل مش لوحدك
و ان فيه ناس مرت باللي انت مريت بيه
وانك مش ملبوس ولا شئ
احبه احبه هذا الكتاب
The best part about trashing this stupid book is that there is no such thing as a soul and if you disagree with me I suggest that you take flying lessons (don't bother with the bit about landings) and fly a plane into your computer right into my review of this book. That'll learn me!

The Goodreads blurb for this book describes the authors as, “Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers.” Other famous inspirational speakers: Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Dale Carnegie, Jim Jones, Tony Robbins
Beata R
Aug 30, 2013 Beata R rated it did not like it
About as spiritually enriching as the inspirational quotes you find on packets of instant oatmeal. If Nicholas Sparks were a motivational speaker, he would have churned out these tepid pieces of crap while bingewatching "Touched by an Angel."
Apr 12, 2008 Nancy rated it it was ok
This book was given out at work. Very readable and unoriginal. I'm far too cynical to enjoy and find deep meaning in stories like these.
Jun 27, 2015 Mahdi rated it really liked it
Shelves: انگلیسی
كتابى پر از شعارهايى مثل "مثبت فكر كن تا كيهان آرزويت را برآورده كند" و رازهاى موفقيت و...
من فقط به عنوان يه متن انگليسى خوندمش، وگرنه از اين جور كتاب ها چندان خوشم نمياد. قبلاً توی ریویوی مردان مریخی زنان ونوسی راجع به راجع به کتاب های روانشناسی عامّه پسند نوشته بودم.

هر چند بی انصافی نباید کرد. بعضی از داستاناش خوبن. ولی بیشترشون مبتنی بر عنصر اتفاق و تصادفن، یعنی نویسنده نمی تونه ادعا کنه که "حتماً برای شما اتفاق می افتد"، بلکه صرفاً می تونه بگه "شاید برای شما اتّفاق بیفتد"؛ در نتیجه خواننده
Sara Kamjou
May 30, 2016 Sara Kamjou rated it it was ok
یک زمانی شاید این داستانها الهامبخشتر و پرکاربردتر بود، اما امروزه در عصر تکنولوژی که روزانه از طریق شبکههای اجتماعی و ارتباطی این داستانها به وفور جلوی چشم هستند، تأثیر کمتری دارد. ضمن اینکه شاید قبلترها اینگونه داستانها میتوانست تکاندهنده باشد اما برای من در حال حاضر کتابهایی که حالت نصیحت و پیام مستقیم دارند کمتر جذاباند. با این حال، باز هم بعضی داستانها جالب بود و در زمان خودش کتاب تأثیرگذاری بوده است.
بخشهای ماندگار کتاب:
مادر ترزا: به همدیگر لبخند بزنید،
Mar 14, 2011 Emma rated it did not like it
I am done with self-help mumbo-jumbo... Don't tell me another story about this person who achieve this without giving me names, dates and factual evidence that is referenced!
Lisa Ryan
Jul 10, 2012 Lisa Ryan rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of short-stories. They are inspirational, motivational, and beautifully written. Many made me cry, which is also very cathartic.

The real magic behind the Chicken Soup Series is knowing the effort that Jack Canfield put into the promotion of this book before it became popular. After being turned down 144 times, he persisted. He is a model of passionately pursuing your dreams until they are realized.

I also had the chance to meet Jack Canfield at the premiere of the Keeper o
Patrick Gibson
Nov 29, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it did not like it
Shelves: snorgasm
“Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil.

The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earths crust above me…”

And she grew.

The second seed said, “I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me I may damage my delicate sprouts.”

And so she waited.”

MORAL OF THE STORY: Seeds can’t talk, jerkoff. And havi
Oct 06, 2016 Eva rated it liked it
I remember reading this when I was still a young girl. I was a school librarian back then so I often read any Chicken Soup books. Sounds like I was slacking off huh. xD anyways I remember liking it as a young girl. It's a food for thoughts.
Jul 28, 2011 Joolz rated it it was amazing
Once started, couldnt put it down! A real heart warmer, lifted my spirits no end, even when I didnt realise it needed lifting. TBH, it restored my faith in mankind, esp after watching the news all the time. This would also make a great gift for a reader or any genre, if they dont like it, then there must be something wrong with them! Many a time i found myself laughing out loud, crying to myself or just stopping to think to myself at the though-provoking story I had just read. Will definately re ...more
I once spent the night at an acquaintance’s house and forgot to bring any books. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot survive without books and hence, I asked my friend if she could lend me a book. Sadly, she and her husband did not own many books, and Chicken Soup for the Soul was one of the few they did own. I had never heard of this book before and innocently started to read. Oh. My. God. This is one of the worst books I have ever read. The short stories and poems inside are supposed to be ...more
Jan 31, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I think the best thing in this book is the section about John Goddard, a kid who sits down and makes a "life's list" or a "bucket list" as it was popularized by the movie. And that kid did some absolutely amazing things! I was blown away, and still make copies of that story to share with teens when I teach them. It strongly influenced my habit of setting goals and trying to keep track of the adventures that I do have. But to be honest, I can't remember many (any?) of the other stories.
AhmEd ElsayEd

" هذا كتاب ملهم ، يتميز بالدفء والحميمية ويهدف إلى السمو الخلقي . والكتاب مليء بالأفكار والعبر التي تمثل دروساً نستفيد منها جميعاً في إصلاح أية ناحية من نواحي الحياة ، لذا فعليك أن تقرأ الكتاب بعناية وتتدبر فيما تقرأ جيداً ثم تعيد القارءة مرة بعد أخرى حتى تتحقق لك الفائدة القصوى . "

براين تراسي

أفضل طريقة للتنمية البشرية عرض قصص حقيقية
أفضل ميون مرة من مؤتمرات وكتب ومحاضرات سبوبة التنمية البشرية

Sep 17, 2012 Bogdan rated it it was amazing
Everyone finds his own interpretation of the information read here. If you seek for answers or opinions you will find them rather different. I liked the book a lot and will turn back to it many times more in the future.
Nov 12, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
I've heard a lot about this book over the years and always imagined it would be soppy clap trap, but I actually really enjoyed it! I think I have to admit to myself that I love a feel good story- I suppose I've always thought it "un-cool" to like this kind of feel good, happy hopeful book, but as I get older (yes, I know, I'm only 25) I realise that what's cool doesn't matter, and if it makes you feel good- why not read it! I admit I cried whilst reading this book. If you're a cynic like I was g ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 03, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was ok
Shelves: how-to, inspirational
I honestly didn't find this book inspirational - just incredibly hokey. In fact, it could be compared to The Teletubbies (both are incredibly lame). The only thing it's good for is passing the time and I think I'll be avoiding this series from now on.
Dec 21, 2013 Ashwini rated it really liked it
Though I prefer reading novels than short stories, some of the stories in this book were simply touching. While some change the way I look at things, some actually made me wonder if miracles are for real.. Must say, this book was well compiled!
Elizabeth Grieve
Not sure how I feel about this book, and was not inclined to read all the way through. It's the first (and only) one of this series I have looked at, and it doesn't really appeal. Perhaps it's more for American tastes, and I am just a cynical Brit. I can see that it's a good thing to have a book of inspirational stories, but I can't help thinking that they may be no more than fiction, and a clever marketing idea has made these books the best-sellers they are.

However, cynicism aside, if some read
Brenda Ayala
I don't really remember the stories anymore, but I liked it when I read it in elementary school!
Unfortunately, I had to throw this book away after reading it. I'd worn it out. Whole sections could no longer be held together with tape.

Even though this was a re-reading, and many of the stories have become wayyyyyyy too familiar over the years (the starfish story), the stories still had the power to make me cry... even in front of my students (who were silently reading their own versions of Chicken Soup).

I'm buying a new copy for next year.
كتاب انسانى من الدرجة الاولى
و يستاهل 5 بسسسسسس
5 بس
بدون ادنى مبالغة
الكتاب ملىء ب القصص الانسانية التى تمس النفس و الروح
لخصت "فقط" القصص التى مستنى انا شخصيا و اثرت فيا
لاحظوا ان هناك الكثير من القصص الاخرى التى اعتبرتها مش مؤثرة انسانيا للدرجة التى تستحق ان اذكرها
و ان كانت قد تكون مؤثرة ل غيرى

page 56 القناديل كثيرة على امتداد الشواطىء لن تصنع لها فارقا ...رمى القنديل الذى بيده و قال و لكنى صنعت فارقا لهذا القنديل
page 60 وجع الوجع ..كم اتمنى ان اكون مثل هذا الاخ
page 89 افعل ما تريد ان تفعله حتى ل
Jul 31, 2011 Hawra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أملك نسخة من هذا الكتاب منذ كنتُ في الإعدادية ولسببٍ ما قررتُ قراءته هذا الصيف، هو جميل فعلاً، يجعلك تعيد النظر إلى الحياة والإمكانيات المتوافرة، يدعوا هذا الكتاب إلى العديد من القيم الأخلاقية الجميلة التي يجب أن يلتفت لها المرء، خلّاق مفيد جداً.. ولا بد للبعض أنّ يعرّج عليه ولو مرة في العمر. علاجٌ جيد للمكتئبين والسوداويين هههه.
Sep 07, 2016 Ted rated it it was amazing
Truly memorable book.

Sure some of the stories are dated from my grandparents age, and some can be hokey, but they are all positive. It's so easy to be perpetually jaded today. Even worse, to be constantly outraged. If you watch politics, there's an 'Us v Them' analysis of life. I fell into that trap (on both sides of the political aisle I might add) and it left me bitter much of the time. This is but one antidote.

These stories are the America I grew up with. Kind, generous and charitable. Some
Ghanem Abdullah
Jun 16, 2012 Ghanem Abdullah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مراجعتي للكتاب على مدونتي:
Cassandra Kay Silva
Nov 25, 2011 Cassandra Kay Silva rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I read this. I admit it. It was awhile ago and someone gave it to me for free. It's absolutely not my style and pretty stupid.
Dec 05, 2014 Shae rated it it was amazing
For my goodreads book, I choose Chicken Soup for the Soul. The book had 101 stories, the longest story was about 6 pages long. Every story is by a different person.

The author's purpose of this book, I believe is to open hearts, and rekindle the spirit, and to try and change the way the readers look at things. I believe this because every story in this book is sweet, and makes your heart feel warm, or it gives you a good vibe, or makes you smile!

The theme of this book is remembering the good
Jul 02, 2016 Anastasia rated it liked it
Some stories were nice, some were very meh. Some reminded me of those silly posts on Facebook.

But other than that it was a good time killer, cause I've finished the book I took to work even before I arrived... Good thing I work in a bookstore and have a big choice.

I chose this one. Wasn't blown away, but a few stories touched me and maybe made me think.
  • Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life
  • Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out
  • Stories for the Heart-The Original Collection: 110 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families
  • The Language of Letting Go: Daily Meditations on Codependency (Hazelden Meditation Series)
  • The Color Code: A New Way to See Yourself, Your Relationships, and Life
  • Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
  • Children's Letters to God: The New Collection
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • How to Mind Map: The Ultimate Thinking Tool That Will Change Your Life
  • The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself!
  • Anyway: The Paradoxical Commandments: Finding Personal Meaning in a Crazy World
  • Women Who Love Too Much: When You Keep Wishing and Hoping He'll Change
  • 50 Prosperity Classics: Attract It, Create It, Manage It, Share It
  • The English Doctor's Baby (Westerling, #3)
  • Sara, Book 2: Solomon's Fine Featherless Friends

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...

“Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try.” 339 likes
“There is no right reaction. There is only your reaction.” 32 likes