Chicken Soup for the Soul

Chicken Soup for the Soul

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  19,236 ratings  ·  415 reviews
Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers share the very best of their collected stories and favorite tales that have touched the hearts of people everywhere. Canfield and Hansen bring you wit and wisdom, hope and empowerment to buoy you through life's dark moments.
Published July 1st 2001 by HCI (first published 1993)

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerMiles to Go by Miley Cyrus
The Worst Books of All Time
47th out of 5,550 books — 15,860 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieGetting Things Done by David AllenOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussOrchids by Lisa Jey Davis
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
29th out of 590 books — 661 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Nov 25, 2012 mark monday marked it as unread-forever
¡REVIEW #500!

one fine summer day, young mark monday - aged 4 or 5 - was tooling around the neighborhood on his Big Wheel. he was a happy lad and liked to make others around him feel happy too. this outlook soon saw its first challenge when he wheeled up to his friend Tommy - who looked miserable and had clearly been crying.

"What's the matter, Tommy?"

"Dad's going away!"

young mark monday was a military brat and so was Tommy, so mark knew exactly how he felt. he had felt the same way, many times. b...more
مصطفي سليمان
و ان فيه ناس مرت باللي انت مريت بيه
وانك مش ملبوس ولا شئ
احبه احبه هذا الكتاب
Leftbanker
The Goodreads blurb for this book describes the authors as, “Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers.” Other famous inspirational speakers: Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Dale Carnegie, Jim Jones, Tony Robbins, Richard Simmons, and Reverend Lovejoy from the Simpsons, to name only a few. Not very good company to keep. Let's just consider that word for a moment. Inspire: to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural. Do you really want to be guided or influenced by these two huckst...more
Lindsay
I liked this book. Tried to read a story from it every night so that I could be a little more positive the next day. It's a good reminder that even when things seem down, you are able to overcome them and smile and still enjoy life. A lot of the stories got me thinking, and made me thankful for the things I have. A good read when you need a little pick-me-up.
Patrick Gibson
“Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil.

The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earths crust above me…”

And she grew.

The second seed said, “I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me I may damage my delicate sprouts.”

And so she waited.”

MORAL OF THE STORY: Seeds can’t talk, jerkoff. And havi...more
Nancy
This book was given out at work. Very readable and unoriginal. I'm far too cynical to enjoy and find deep meaning in stories like these.
Lisa Ryan
I loved this collection of short-stories. They are inspirational, motivational, and beautifully written. Many made me cry, which is also very cathartic.

The real magic behind the Chicken Soup Series is knowing the effort that Jack Canfield put into the promotion of this book before it became popular. After being turned down 144 times, he persisted. He is a model of passionately pursuing your dreams until they are realized.

I also had the chance to meet Jack Canfield at the premiere of the Keeper o...more
Rachel
I've heard a lot about this book over the years and always imagined it would be soppy clap trap, but I actually really enjoyed it! I think I have to admit to myself that I love a feel good story- I suppose I've always thought it "un-cool" to like this kind of feel good, happy hopeful book, but as I get older (yes, I know, I'm only 25) I realise that what's cool doesn't matter, and if it makes you feel good- why not read it! I admit I cried whilst reading this book. If you're a cynic like I was g...more
Joolz
Once started, couldnt put it down! A real heart warmer, lifted my spirits no end, even when I didnt realise it needed lifting. TBH, it restored my faith in mankind, esp after watching the news all the time. This would also make a great gift for a reader or any genre, if they dont like it, then there must be something wrong with them! Many a time i found myself laughing out loud, crying to myself or just stopping to think to myself at the though-provoking story I had just read. Will definately re...more
Travis
I think the best thing in this book is the section about John Goddard, a kid who sits down and makes a "life's list" or a "bucket list" as it was popularized by the movie. And that kid did some absolutely amazing things! I was blown away, and still make copies of that story to share with teens when I teach them. It strongly influenced my habit of setting goals and trying to keep track of the adventures that I do have. But to be honest, I can't remember many (any?) of the other stories.
Beata R
About as spiritually enriching as the inspirational quotes you find on packets of instant oatmeal. If Nicholas Sparks were a motivational speaker, he would have churned out these tepid pieces of crap while bingewatching "Touched by an Angel."
Unfortunately, I had to throw this book away after reading it. I'd worn it out. Whole sections could no longer be held together with tape.

Even though this was a re-reading, and many of the stories have become wayyyyyyy too familiar over the years (the starfish story), the stories still had the power to make me cry... even in front of my students (who were silently reading their own versions of Chicken Soup).

I'm buying a new copy for next year.
Hawra
أملك نسخة من هذا الكتاب منذ كنتُ في الإعدادية ولسببٍ ما قررتُ قراءته هذا الصيف، هو جميل فعلاً، يجعلك تعيد النظر إلى الحياة والإمكانيات المتوافرة، يدعوا هذا الكتاب إلى العديد من القيم الأخلاقية الجميلة التي يجب أن يلتفت لها المرء، خلّاق مفيد جداً.. ولا بد للبعض أنّ يعرّج عليه ولو مرة في العمر. علاجٌ جيد للمكتئبين والسوداويين هههه.
Ashwini
Though I prefer reading novels than short stories, some of the stories in this book were simply touching. While some change the way I look at things, some actually made me wonder if miracles are for real.. Must say, this book was well compiled!
Bogdan
Everyone finds his own interpretation of the information read here. If you seek for answers or opinions you will find them rather different. I liked the book a lot and will turn back to it many times more in the future.
Cassandra Kay Silva
I read this. I admit it. It was awhile ago and someone gave it to me for free. It's absolutely not my style and pretty stupid.
Behzad
This book helped me make it through some of the darkest years of my life. Terry Eagleton says that realism is (or was, when it first emerged) a highbrow literary school. The upper classes had experienced the isolated beauty of life so often that they felt bored with it; they decided that they could use some real life tragedy and dirt. So they set out and established "realism". Laborers, on the other hand, actually lived what the upper classes were curious and wanted to read about every single da...more
Anna-Kathrin
I once spent the night at an acquaintance’s house and forgot to bring any books. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot survive without books and hence, I asked my friend if she could lend me a book. Sadly, she and her husband did not own many books, and Chicken Soup for the Soul was one of the few they did own. I had never heard of this book before and innocently started to read. Oh. My. God. This is one of the worst books I have ever read. The short stories and poems inside are supposed to be...more
Huda

أعتقد أن هذا يفسر الأمر

الكتاب مليء بالقصص الجيدة
شكرا شيماء لمساعدتي على التغلب على عقدة الدجاج تلك
Shelley
This is my second time reading this book. The first time was when it first came out many years ago and it amazed me that I remembered quite a number of the stories. As the book claims, the stories are inspirational and will touch your heart, butit also made me cry over and over again and made me smile in gladness. If you are feeling down, this is a perfect book to pick up and read.
Vaneh Andresian
“Chicken Soup for the Mother’s Soul” is one of the best book series of Chicken Soup for the Soul, which has sold over 56 million copies. The book is by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Jennifer Read Hawthorne and Marci Shimoff.Chicken soup for the Mothers Soul has also celebrity contributions by Barbara Rush, Reba McEntire, Joan Rivers and Erma Bombeck in it.The book contains 101 heartwarming stories that celebrate the joys of motherhood.All the bright and shining Memories of the authors turne...more
Monique
Because I appreciated the Teen Soul edition, I readily bought this one, and ASAP. And just like the Teen Soul book, the stories in this one were uplifting, feel-good and simple to read. I used to read a couple of stories at bedtime just to lull me to sleep.

I guess that, with the Chicken Soup series, you can never go wrong.
Eman Dahma
قصص انسانية فى الحب والأبوة وتقدير الذات والتعلم ..والحياة بشكل عام
فى حاجات منه لمست قلبى واستفدت منها
أكتر حاجة استفدتها إني عملت قائمة بالحاجات اللى عايزة اعملها فى حياتى
زى قائمة جون جودارد اللى فى الكتاب :)

ممكن تبدأ فيه .. بجانب أى كتاب بتقراه كشيىء تحفيزى
ساعد فى رفع معنوياتى أيام الامتحانات :)
Syd
Ok, not a usual read for me. My step-mom gave me this book a billion years ago and I figured that if I'm going to read it, now would be a good time since I'm starting up my own business.

It was far too materialistic for me, but I really enjoyed the stories about kids and their causes.
Mark
A life changing book. Every story will inspire you. Do not speed read this book! :p it is worth your time and attention. Thank you Nyssa for lending me this book. :D I appreciate it.
Emma
I am done with self-help mumbo-jumbo... Don't tell me another story about this person who achieve this without giving me names, dates and factual evidence that is referenced!
..Effat..
كتاب رائع وممتع ..قصصه شيقه لم أشعر بالوقت إلا عندما أنهيته
أحسست بعد قراءته أنني قادره على فعل كل شيء
Sonja

I love this whole series...
MidSouth BookCrossers
mississippimom -- dancing-dog - nancyluvsbooks - MissLou
Click here to check out The MidSouth BookCrosser's Group! on Facebook.

Tristan Macavery
A perfectly adequate example of how motivational speakers make their money, and how much of what they've presented to you is already available on the Internet, generally for free, and from properly-cited sources. I don't mind being uplifted, and many of the stories presented here are good, heartwarming tales of good things for good folk. They aren't always realistic, and often, they're presented for the specific purpose of pulling on the heartstrings, and therefore the message comes with the pre...more
christian support...: Books; Chicken-Soup 1 5 Sep 27, 2013 03:23PM
  • Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life
  • Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out
  • Being Happy!
  • Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
  • The Power (The Secret, #2)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Earl Nightingale's the Strangest Secret
  • The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series
  • Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • Where To Find It In The Bible The Ultimate A To Z Resource Series
  • Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills that Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed
  • You Were Born Rich: Now You Can Discover And Develop Those Riches

Canfield received a BA in Chi...more
More about Jack Canfield...
Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul The Success Principles(TM): How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women (Chicken Soup for the Soul) Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

“Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try.” 259 likes
“Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.” 59 likes