Start by marking “Fairy Houses of the Maine Coast” as Want to Read:
Fairy Houses of the Maine Coast

Fairy Houses of the Maine Coast

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  39 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
The cultural phenomenon of fairy houses crafted solely from available natural materials apparently originated spontaneously on a few Maine islands, and in recent years, these charming, wee shelters made from leaves, moss, twigs, stones, bark, shells, feathers, and other found items have caught the imaginations of parents and children everywhere. Fairy Houses of the Maine C ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Down East Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Houses of the Maine Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Houses of the Maine Coast

Beth
Mar 01, 2012 Beth rated it it was ok
I picked this up from the library on a whim and am incredibly glad I didn't spend money on it.

The text is a collection of quotes, simple poems, and short descriptions of Maine fairy houses. It's also an advertisement for communities that feature the art form.

The photographs were the only reason I found this book to be enjoyable. They're detailed and show a large collection of architectural styles.

If I ever referenced this book, it would be for images alone. The hodge-podge descriptions barely ha
Lynn
Feb 04, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-nf, maine
I selected this book for my students who are fans of fairies, but I doubt many of them will read the involved text, or be able to appreciate what Yeats, Emerson, and Shakespeare had to say about fairies. Perhaps a caring adult, such as the author's parent, will invite a child into the fairy world, and even take them to Boothbay or Monhegan Island to enjoy them.
The photos will attract even non-readers with their crisp shots of a wide variety of fairy houses.
I thought the only rule about fairy h
T Crockett
Aug 30, 2015 T Crockett rated it liked it
The pictures will thrill the heart of any fairy lover. The text is a mix of poetry about fairies and discussion of fairy lore. I was reading it to a child who is a full believer, so I skipped or reworded parts that said fairies were make believe. In some places the author speaks directly to parents about the benefits of children believing in fairies.

I think even if I wasn't editing the book for a child's ears as I read, I still would have found it disjointed.
Molasses Murphy
Molasses Murphy rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
AJ Baum
AJ Baum marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Lori England
Lori England rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Jhawn
Jhawn added it
Jan 24, 2016
Gig
Gig rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2016
Dianne
Dianne is currently reading it
Dec 01, 2015
Eileen M. Murray
Eileen M. Murray rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Sarah ♥
Sarah ♥ rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Kate McPherson
Kate McPherson rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Jaylee
Jaylee rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
michelle jacobson
michelle jacobson rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Shauna
Shauna rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Peggy Kassees
Peggy Kassees rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Shannonmde
Shannonmde rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Paula Bacca
Paula Bacca rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014