Start by marking “When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)” as Want to Read:
When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)

When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  663 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Tamara Hayle, former cop turned PI, is a single mom trying to make it on her own on the mean streets of Newark. When her "dog" of an ex-husband, the father of her son, shows up like a bad penny, she can't turn down his plea for help. For no apparent reason, somebody is killing his sons, one by one, and the police are less than concerned about it: Black men killing one anot ...more
Published July 13th 1994 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about When Death Comes Stealing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Death Comes Stealing

Renee
Apr 20, 2017 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-and-next
Ah-ha! A new series discovery... well, new to me. If you enjoy Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi), Marsha Muller (Edwin of the Iron Shoes), or Rachel Howzell Hall (Land of Shadows).

Tamara Hayle is believable, human, smart, flawed, mostly-head-on-straight female PI who has the complicated personal life of almost-ordinary people.
LJ
WHEN DEATH COMES STEALING - Okay
Wesley, Valerie Wilson - 1st in Tamara Hayle series

Former policewoman Tamara Hayle is a single mother trying to raise her son while carving out a new career as a private investigator in the urban jungle. Her ex-husband shows up in serious trouble--someone is killing his sons, one-by-one. The police believe the deaths are accidental. With her own son's life in jeopardy, Tamara investigates before the killer strikes again.

It was okay but I probably won't read any mo
Patricia
Jan 15, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a surprise find. A man has five sons by five different women. Someone is murdering them. Tamara, the mother of one of the children, is trying to find out why. It's nicely paced and a real page turner. I sorta figured out who was doing the killing but I was shocked to find out why. I found out that it's one in a series so I will definitely be reading the other books.
Garren
Jan 13, 2015 Garren rated it did not like it
Shelves: partially-read
Gave up about 2/3rds through. It might appeal to Sue Grafton fans, but I barely managed to finish one of her books too. I just stopped caring. I wanted it to be over so I could move on to other things.
Michael
Nach den ersten fünfzig Seiten habe ich diesen Krimi beiseite gelegt. Er ist nicht besonders aufregend geschrieben, was damit zusammenhängen mag, dass Krimis heute oft temporeicher sind als noch vor 10 oder 20 Jahren und die Messlatte bzw. der Geschmack sich verschoben haben. Dabei klingt das Setting durchaus gut: Eine geschiedene Ex-Polizistin, die jetzt als Privatdetektivin ihren Lebensusnterhalt bestreitet, wird von ihrem Ex-Mann kontaktiert, dessen ältester Sohn vermutlich ermordet worden is ...more
Syd
In this offering by Valerie Wilson Wesley, former cop turned private investigator single mom Tamara Hayle must go through the lives of her son's brother's and her ex-husband's business to uncover who is killing his sons one by one. Ruled as accidental deaths, Hayle can't accept the verdict in case there's something to it. At stake is the life of her own son.
Though I guessed the killer the first time they were introduced, this Tamara Hayle novel had enough within it to keep me interested. I didn'
Lynn Demsky
Jun 24, 2013 Lynn Demsky rated it really liked it
A tough and savvy Newark cop-turned PI>, Tamara Hayle is sister with a mission: to raise her kid right in mean town. But now the past has come knocking---bringing trouble to her door in the person of her "dog" of a former husband, DeWayne. Suspicious "accidents" have claimed the lives of two of DeWayne's sons from different marriages. And though good sense warns Tamara to steer clear of her charming, lowdown ex, she has little choice but to offer him her investigative expertise---because a k ...more
Mahoghani 23
Aug 22, 2013 Mahoghani 23 rated it liked it
Shelves: shelf-challenge
Your past plays a vital role in your future. DeWayne Curtis started life out with a son and a step-daughter. He told a lie that would dramatically change the life of the little girl and many years later, DeWayne has five other sons and now they are being murdered one by one. Tamara has to get involved because her son Jamal is one of DeWayne's sons. There are so many people that has a reason to cause DeWayne pain but taking the life of his sons should not be a choice for revenge.
Shameka
As far as mysteries go, this story was not as suspenseful as I would have liked. Also, there were some moments where I found myself losing interest but I'm glad I stuck with it until the end. Despite its shortcomings, overall this was a solid read with interesting characters and decent plot development. I will definitely check out more books from Ms. Wesley in the future.
Arlene (Urbrightside)
Apr 25, 2015 Arlene (Urbrightside) rated it really liked it
This was a really good book, I was very surprised how fast I had went through it, but it was so good. It's a sad novel about death and revenge and it's connection to the past and present, but it's a great way to introduce Tamara Hayle as a P.I. and I will definitely be reading the rest of the 8 book series.
Jlynn
Apr 04, 2013 Jlynn rated it it was amazing
One of the best mystery authors. She writes with depth and respect with a keen eye of the African-American experience.
I love the lyrical and raw experience that she captures with her writing. When I find a writer with her abilities, I get greedy and want to read everything that was ever written.
K.C.
Apr 30, 2016 K.C. rated it liked it
Enjoyed Tamara's voice immensely!
A good mystery, set in Newark and a window n a very different world than the one I live in.
Luna
Mar 10, 2008 Luna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Not the best mystery I've read, but this author shows promise. I'll read more of her stuff to see how she does.
Darcia Scates
May 27, 2016 Darcia Scates rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked this book. It held my attention. I was truly surprised once the murderer was revealed. The author can be counted on to make it worth your time.
Trena
Jan 21, 2013 Trena rated it really liked it
Good Book
Angela
Mar 08, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
I'm a Jersey girl so I felt right at home reading this. Valerie knows how to tell a mystery, readers will enjoy Tamara.
Mary Newcomb
Write Tamara Hayle is not your usual PI but then this is not a usual case. Somehow she figured out who was killing her ex-husband's sons before it was too late for her own son. Chilling!

Yolonda
A Good Afternoon Read!
Eboni
Jan 09, 2009 Eboni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Read in high school, first book every read in 5 days and first mystery. I have been hooked every since.
Dee Cherry
Jan 29, 2015 Dee Cherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: old-school-reads
Tamara Hayle mysteries are good reads
Reva Rebeiro
Aug 12, 2015 Reva Rebeiro rated it it was amazing
Read the books many years ago, loved the main character
Sunne
Sep 08, 2013 Sunne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Read the book during my holidays. It' s great holiday lecture, and as I read another one of the Tamara Hayles Mysteries before, I felt at home fast.
Kim Reyes
Suspense and thrillah
Debra Odom
Oct 20, 2013 Debra Odom rated it it was amazing
Very good mystery read!
CheapReader
CheapReader rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Deborah Shaheed
Deborah Shaheed rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013
Robin B
Robin B rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2014
Wanda Staples
Wanda Staples rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • Blanche on the Lam
  • Harlem Redux
  • White Butterfly (Easy Rawlins #3)
  • South by Southeast (Tennyson Hardwick, #4)
  • Singing in the Comeback Choir
  • Dead Time (Marti MacAlister, #1)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • I Know Who Holds Tomorrow
  • The Rattle-Rat
Valerie Wilson Wesley is an African-American author of mysteries, adult-theme novels, and children's books,[1] and a former executive editor of Essence magazine. She is the author of the Tamara Hayle mystery series. Her writings, both fiction and non-fiction, have also appeared in numerous publications, including Essence, Family Circle, TV Guide, Ms., The New York Times, and the Swiss weekly magaz ...more
More about Valerie Wilson Wesley...

Tamara Hayle (8 books)
  • Devil's Gonna Get Him (Tamara Hayle, #2)
  • Where Evil Sleeps (Tamara Hayle, #3)
  • No Hiding Place (Tamara Hayle, #4)
  • Easier to Kill (Tamara Hayle, #5)
  • The Devil Riding (Tamara Hayle, #6)
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • Of Blood and Sorrow (Tamara Hayle, #8)