Start by marking “The Teen's Guide to World Domination: Advice on Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Awesomeness” as Want to Read:

Josh Shipp has been serving up a healthy dose of "advice with an attitude" to millions of teens for over a decade, in front of packed auditoriums across the country. For the first time ever, Josh is pulling together all of his unique advice for "world domination" into a must-have survival guide. Hilarious, inspirational, and authentic, Josh offers golden nuggets of wisdom ...more
Published August 17th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Teen's Guide to World Domination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teen's Guide to World Domination

Susie
Jun 13, 2011 Susie rated it it was amazing
I first heard about this book because it was mentioned in conjunction with a youth gathering here. It does an excellent job of speaking to kids without being preachy, and it includes great life lessons. I can see many uses for this with teens; you could have many great discussions about different chapters. While the entire book relates a story, some chapters could stand alone. It's clever, witty, practical, and ethical. That combo is not easy to find!

I checked out the reviews on amazon.com, and
Jaime Fields
Mar 29, 2016 Jaime Fields rated it really liked it
This book was excellent, funny, and relatable. I like that the author is someone whose own teenage years weren't that great so he can feel what we're going through. The villain metaphor was really effective. I feel really encouraged after reading this, and am going to try some of his suggestions asap. Good read overall!
Atilla
Feb 18, 2016 Atilla added it
The Teen’s Guide to World Domination: Advice on Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Awesomeness is a nonfiction book by Josh Shipp. This book explains challenges people face in life and explain “villains” that will be in your way such as vampires who steal your identity and turns you into one of them, or ghosts who are thoughts in your head telling you you can not do it. He explains many things that dominate your world, but tells you how to dominate it yourself.

Overall, this is a great book to r
Layly Roodsari
Aug 22, 2015 Layly Roodsari rated it liked it
I'll start this off by saying that I am a teenager. An unhappy, half-awake, slightly frustrated one who has been receiving self-help books from her mother every birthday, Christmas, and Chinese New Year for the past 3 years. This might be due to my rebellious and pessimistic persona. However, while I'd like to say that no part of this book has helped shape me into a better, more lovable person, I would be lying, but not by that much.
While reading this book, I realized that I would achieve not
Julian Maldonado
Oct 29, 2014 Julian Maldonado rated it liked it
I thought that, all in all, the book was O.K. Use of metaphors was really good, and I feel like a lot of teenagers can relate to situations in the book.However, many teenagers can feel get the wrong idea from some of the statements. The overall layout of the book is as follows: an introduction that explains the purpose of the book, people and situations that you need to watch out for in order to be successful, and an encouraging conclusion about the future. One of the instances that the author m ...more
Cassidy
Oct 03, 2010 Cassidy rated it it was amazing
I believe every teen should read this book. It teaches vaulable life skills that are easy to relate to. It is certaintly not like listening to a lecture from a school teacher or parent. It is enjoyable.
Shasta
May 24, 2016 Shasta rated it it was amazing
Advice from someone who knew how to hook a kids attention and keep it. Josh Shipp gave wonderful advice about so many aspects of life. I was happy to read this book because it helped me realize what I wanted. This book will teach you to recognize the good things in your life and can help you appreciate them more. I read this book during a point in my life when I felt lost and I feel this book helped me get my life back on track. It's definitely a good read and I recommend it to anyone who feels ...more
Ryan D
Jan 04, 2016 Ryan D rated it it was amazing
The Teen's Guide to World Domination by Josh Shipp has helped me identify many of the large problems in my life. I did not specifically ask for this book, but I found it tremendously helpful, as it helped me understand many of life's ups and downs. Unlike most self-help books, this was written in a very humorous style, that had me laughing on quite a few accounts. This guide has certainly helped me on the way to dominating my own world, and I'm sure many other readers can say the same.
Lynne Feeney
Sep 13, 2016 Lynne Feeney rated it it was amazing
Simple psych 101 for tween and teens. I read it before giving it to my 13 year old niece as a Christmas gift. I posted notes all throughout of events from my past that made me laugh and some that I was ashamed of....oh how we grow. ;) Nice stories to share with my niece and my children in a few years. It's a laid back and simple to digest book of tools to help them navigate in their world as they grow up. No doubt they will find something they can relate to in this book.
Emery
Jun 28, 2016 Emery rated it did not like it
Horrible. One of those books you want to throw across a room or set on fire. Terrible, terrible writing. Talks down to teens. Tried to be cool (but in reality is an authoritative pain in the a**) with out of date lingo and threats. Starts him book by threatening to slap you if you skip the intro. Classy right? Also compares girlfriends to puppies (ick) and says they can be super toxic. I can't deal with this man. And that's coming from someone who loves self-help books.
Angel
Oct 31, 2014 Angel rated it it was amazing
I am almost through this book in one day. It is a very good read for adults and especially teens. Valid and thoughtful, Josh's snarky yet funny and uplifting sense of humor make this entertaining and holds the reader interested. I like that he is "in your face" with his wit and wisdom. A voice for our youth, he is! I would recommend this book for anyone. There is a lot of good advice to glean.
Dave Guymon
May 29, 2015 Dave Guymon rated it really liked it
Josh knows teens. And he knows how to talk to them so they will listen. Whether on his YouTube channel or in this book, he talks about important and sometimes difficult topics with authenticity, clarity, and a unique sense of humor. World Domination made me wish I could do my teenage years over again, this time with vision and assuring that things would be just fine.
Allie Singer
Feb 29, 2016 Allie Singer rated it really liked it
So much excellent stuff in here. Wish I had it when I was a teenager; but still, happy to have read it now. Lost me a little in the dating section—pretty old-school, slightly preachy, boy-take-the-lead, heterosexual-only advice. The rest is pure quotable awesomeness.
Kaitlyn
Dec 24, 2012 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. Im a teen and it really hekped me get away from negative influence. I had never even really realized how much they were influencing me into hurting these other people until I started to read and had to list my villianous ways. This book was an awaking for me but sure an emtertaining one. I loved this book a whole lot. Im going to have to make sure all my friends read it. Its sure some advice to live by amd its presented in the perfect way for my generatiom with referen ...more
Elisa
May 05, 2016 Elisa rated it really liked it
I work with "at risk" youth, and I just wish every one of them could and would read this book! Any teen could save himself and those around him a lot of heartache. Plus it's fun reading!
Anna
Dec 28, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Josh Shipp channels considerable insight into the teenaged experience for this fun, breezy guide to being the hero of your own life story. He is at his best in identifying the villains (people, thoughts and habits) that encourage us to be distracted, doubtful, afraid, insecure or just inauthentic versions of ourselves. By helping teens to understand who they are, what they care about and what matters most in the long term, the author provides a roadmap for navigating one of the most challenging ...more
Meriah J VanderWeide
Great book for youth

can't wait to share it with my students! definitely something that could go in the public school system. no problem.
Haley72020
It is my favorite book ever. It's like every sentence is a quote but he ties it all together.
Brandon
Jan 12, 2014 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring with solid advice

Very good advice, yet some stuff could be more comprehensive. Overall it provides you with what's needed to be awesome. Great book!
husky
Mar 03, 2012 husky rated it it was ok
This book was a mixture of good star wars quotes, eyerolling moments, good quotes and concepts and oh-gosh-did-you-really-reference-something-that-ancient. There were a lot of phrases in there that I found helped me a lot sheerly through repeating them to myself. I would stop and read one line several times while skipping over entire other paragraphs after the first few words. To be taken with a shaker of salt.
Cheyenne Rose
I normally don't like books like this. However the humor was way too awesome to ignore. The author treats you like an actual human being, Like you are a intelligent young human being. He jokes and tells excellent stories and is generally awesome to read. It's like you're actually talking to him rather than reading a book. So pick up a copy and have a nice chat with him.
Matt Massengale
Jan 14, 2014 Matt Massengale rated it it was amazing
I found this book very helpful and relatable, and would suggest it to everyone!!
Aileen Polanski
Apr 27, 2014 Aileen Polanski rated it really liked it
The only thing that kept me from giving this book a 5 is that Shipp's humor, while great on stage, just doesn't translate as well on paper. That being said, the advice was fantastic and can apply to more than just teens. In a world full of people trying 24/7 to be Number 1, this is something everyone needs to read.
Julie Smith
May 12, 2012 Julie Smith rated it really liked it
As a counselor and coach who works with tweens/teens and parents, I would definitely recommend this book. Josh writes in a way that connects with his teen audience. He offers solid advice and life lessons without being preachy or condescending. Worth the read for parents and kids alike.
Deb Parker
Jan 05, 2013 Deb Parker rated it it was amazing
First-rate advice book for the tween/young teen set. Covers exhaustive range of topics, including friendships, peer pressure, drug & alcohol abuse, finances, physical fitness, career choices, dating and selecting a spouse.
Ann
Aug 03, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
Shipp offers powerful characterizations of difficult personality
types who can interfere with our personal progress. He provides methods
and advice for working with and around these negative influences.
Steph
Jul 02, 2012 Steph rated it really liked it
Good book, I would recommend it to adults and teens alike. Josh Shipp is funny, smart, in-your-face, but not offensive. He seems to have a finger on the pulse of the common (and uncommon) teenager.
Safi
Apr 16, 2016 Safi rated it liked it
A really inspiring book that gives you easy to follow advice. I really enjoyed it and think that Josh Shipp is actually quite funny and the way in which he wrote the book was effective (:
Lic
Apr 04, 2012 Lic rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Josh Shipp philosophy "in your face, but on your side" You better believe it Teens, you have the power to dominate this world. You just need someone to see the potential in you!
Hayley
Mar 11, 2012 Hayley rated it it was amazing
A beautiful mixture of quotes, laughs and sobs. I loved reading it, and ended up doing an English presentation on it. Read it if you're ever feeling down :)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • Help Yourself for Teens: Real-Life Advice for Real-Life Challenges
  • The Teen Girl's Survival Guide: Ten Tips for Making Friends, Avoiding Drama, and Coping with Social Stress
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Workbook
  • Undecided: Navigating Life and Learning After High School
  • Why Are All the Good Teachers Crazy?
  • Countdown
  • Get Real: What Kind of World are YOU Buying?
  • England (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Leadership Lessons of the Navy Seals: Battle-Tested Strategies for Creating Successful Organizations and Inspiring Extraordinary Results
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Buddha Boy
  • Dangerous Times (Nathan Fox, #1)
  • One More River to Cross
  • The Best Is Yet to Come (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes Super Special, #1)
  • Reluctant Disciplinarian: Advice on Classroom Management from a Softy Who Became (Eventually) a Successful Teacher
  • Be the Change: Your Guide to Freeing Slaves and Changing the World
  • Love & Profanity
Josh Shipp is the host of the TV Show JUMP SHIPP, author of "The Teen's Guide to World Domination" (St. Martins Press), named a CNN Young Person Who Rocks and was listed on INC. Magazine's 30 under 30 list.

Josh has established an international reputation as a teen behavior expert who can get through to any teen. He's spoken at universities such as Harvard, Stanford, & UCLA. He's addressed grou
More about Josh Shipp...

“If you've treated your girlfriend without respect, taken advantage of her, or cheated on her, your actions have taught her that she has no value. Needless to say, this is a serious, serious injury. If you don't try to make it right, she might start to believe the lie you've told her and spend the rest of her life thinking she deserves poor treatment.” 61 likes
“And the bummer thing is, ghosts never leave. They might leave you alone sometimes, but they're always there deep down, whispering lies in your ear. They echo the lies others told you: That you're not smart enough; that you're not pretty; that you'll never amount to anything.” 6 likes