Start by marking “The Teen's Guide to World Domination: Advice on Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Awesomeness” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Josh Shipp has been serving up a healthy dose of “advice with an attitude” to millions of teens for over a decade, in front of packed auditoriums across the country. For the first time ever, Josh is pulling together all of his unique advice for “world domination” into a must-have survival guide. Hilarious, inspirational, and authentic, Josh offers golden nuggets of wisdom ...more
Published August 17th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Teen's Guide to World Domination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teen's Guide to World Domination

Susie
I first heard about this book because it was mentioned in conjunction with a youth gathering here. It does an excellent job of speaking to kids without being preachy, and it includes great life lessons. I can see many uses for this with teens; you could have many great discussions about different chapters. While the entire book relates a story, some chapters could stand alone. It's clever, witty, practical, and ethical. That combo is not easy to find!

I checked out the reviews on amazon.com, and
Julian Maldonado
I thought that, all in all, the book was O.K. Use of metaphors was really good, and I feel like a lot of teenagers can relate to situations in the book.However, many teenagers can feel get the wrong idea from some of the statements. The overall layout of the book is as follows: an introduction that explains the purpose of the book, people and situations that you need to watch out for in order to be successful, and an encouraging conclusion about the future. One of the instances that the author m ...more
Cassidy
I believe every teen should read this book. It teaches vaulable life skills that are easy to relate to. It is certaintly not like listening to a lecture from a school teacher or parent. It is enjoyable.
Anna
Josh Shipp channels considerable insight into the teenaged experience for this fun, breezy guide to being the hero of your own life story. He is at his best in identifying the villains (people, thoughts and habits) that encourage us to be distracted, doubtful, afraid, insecure or just inauthentic versions of ourselves. By helping teens to understand who they are, what they care about and what matters most in the long term, the author provides a roadmap for navigating one of the most challenging ...more
Angel
I am almost through this book in one day. It is a very good read for adults and especially teens. Valid and thoughtful, Josh's snarky yet funny and uplifting sense of humor make this entertaining and holds the reader interested. I like that he is "in your face" with his wit and wisdom. A voice for our youth, he is! I would recommend this book for anyone. There is a lot of good advice to glean.
Kaitlyn
I loved this book so much. Im a teen and it really hekped me get away from negative influence. I had never even really realized how much they were influencing me into hurting these other people until I started to read and had to list my villianous ways. This book was an awaking for me but sure an emtertaining one. I loved this book a whole lot. Im going to have to make sure all my friends read it. Its sure some advice to live by amd its presented in the perfect way for my generatiom with referen ...more
Meriah J VanderWeide
Great book for youth

can't wait to share it with my students! definitely something that could go in the public school system. no problem.
Rachel
It was awesome. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Brandon
Very inspiring with solid advice

Very good advice, yet some stuff could be more comprehensive. Overall it provides you with what's needed to be awesome. Great book!
husky
This book was a mixture of good star wars quotes, eyerolling moments, good quotes and concepts and oh-gosh-did-you-really-reference-something-that-ancient. There were a lot of phrases in there that I found helped me a lot sheerly through repeating them to myself. I would stop and read one line several times while skipping over entire other paragraphs after the first few words. To be taken with a shaker of salt.
Cheyenne Rose
I normally don't like books like this. However the humor was way too awesome to ignore. The author treats you like an actual human being, Like you are a intelligent young human being. He jokes and tells excellent stories and is generally awesome to read. It's like you're actually talking to him rather than reading a book. So pick up a copy and have a nice chat with him.
Matt Massengale
I found this book very helpful and relatable, and would suggest it to everyone!!
Aileen
The only thing that kept me from giving this book a 5 is that Shipp's humor, while great on stage, just doesn't translate as well on paper. That being said, the advice was fantastic and can apply to more than just teens. In a world full of people trying 24/7 to be Number 1, this is something everyone needs to read.
Julie Smith
As a counselor and coach who works with tweens/teens and parents, I would definitely recommend this book. Josh writes in a way that connects with his teen audience. He offers solid advice and life lessons without being preachy or condescending. Worth the read for parents and kids alike.
Debbie Parker
First-rate advice book for the tween/young teen set. Covers exhaustive range of topics, including friendships, peer pressure, drug & alcohol abuse, finances, physical fitness, career choices, dating and selecting a spouse.
Ann
Shipp offers powerful characterizations of difficult personality
types who can interfere with our personal progress. He provides methods
and advice for working with and around these negative influences.
Steph
Good book, I would recommend it to adults and teens alike. Josh Shipp is funny, smart, in-your-face, but not offensive. He seems to have a finger on the pulse of the common (and uncommon) teenager.
Safi
A really inspiring book that gives you easy to follow advice. I really enjoyed it and think that Josh Shipp is actually quite funny and the way in which he wrote the book was effective (:
Lic
Josh Shipp philosophy "in your face, but on your side" You better believe it Teens, you have the power to dominate this world. You just need someone to see the potential in you!
Hayley
A beautiful mixture of quotes, laughs and sobs. I loved reading it, and ended up doing an English presentation on it. Read it if you're ever feeling down :)
Siena
Really helpful, inspiring advice. Its presented in a simple, fun, easy to understand way. I hope I can use some of the advice in my life.
Shane
I wish this book (a) had existed when I was in high school; and, (b) would have been required in order to pass Freshmen year.
Juliet
Josh Shipp is in your face but on your side. He shows you how to dominate your world. And I think he was successful.
Marissa
Great book. Gave great, down to earth advice in a well written format that is easy to connect with.
Roya
Some things could have been better, but overall useful for its directed audience.
Cassidyj9
It was funny but very um... self helping so that is kind of not my thing
Chelsea Northrop
  • Threads and Flames
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Workbook
  • Buddha Boy
  • Undecided: Navigating Life and Learning After High School
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • Countdown
  • Leadership Lessons of the Navy Seals: Battle-Tested Strategies for Creating Successful Organizations and Inspiring Extraordinary Results
  • Get Real: What Kind of World are YOU Buying?
  • Caught by the Sea
  • Dangerous Times (Nathan Fox, #1)
  • Reluctant Disciplinarian: Advice on Classroom Management From a Softy who Became (Eventually) a Successful Teacher
  • Hot X: Algebra Exposed
  • One More River to Cross
  • Lost Boy, Lost Girl: Escaping Civil War in Sudan
  • A Quaker Book of Wisdom: Life Lessons In Simplicity, Service, And Common Sense
  • Spies of Mississippi: The True Story of the Spy Network that Tried to Destroy the Civil Rights Movement
Josh Shipp is the host of the TV Show JUMP SHIPP, author of "The Teen's Guide to World Domination" (St. Martins Press), named a CNN Young Person Who Rocks and was listed on INC. Magazine's 30 under 30 list.

Josh has established an international reputation as a teen behavior expert who can get through to any teen. He's spoken at universities such as Harvard, Stanford, & UCLA. He's addressed grou
More about Josh Shipp...
Jump Ship: Ditch Your Dead-End Job and Turn Your Passion into a Profession

“If you've treated your girlfriend without respect, taken advantage of her, or cheated on her, your actions have taught her that she has no value. Needless to say, this is a serious, serious injury. If you don't try to make it right, she might start to believe the lie you've told her and spend the rest of her life thinking she deserves poor treatment.” 49 likes
“And the bummer thing is, ghosts never leave. They might leave you alone sometimes, but they're always there deep down, whispering lies in your ear. They echo the lies others told you: That you're not smart enough; that you're not pretty; that you'll never amount to anything.” 3 likes