The Golden Shrine

The Golden Shrine (Opening of the World #3)

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Continuing the alternate-Bronze-Age epic begun in Beyond the Gap:

The glaciers came and covered the world with ice. Now they are in retreat. North of the city of Nidaros, north of the forest, north of the steppes where the nomadic Bizogots hunt, a gap has opened in the ice-wall. And down through that gap come the men who call themselves "Rulers."

Their terrifying cavalry rid...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Tor Books (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Shrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Shrine

David R.
Like the earlier two books in this trilogy, there is (a) a journey from the south to the north and back (although in this one the directions get reversed), (b) endless redundant conversation/banter between the mostly unlikable characters, and (c) long periods of talking and walking punctuated by the occasional action/battle. Hmm. Just like the Wizard of Oz?? Mercifully, the series has ended, although the wrap-up device is totally absurd. Too bad. This was really a good concept for an alternative...more
Clay
You know what you’re getting with Harry Turtledove – and you know what you won’t get.

You won’t get books in which images replace narrative, and bleak is as good as it gets. You will get an actual story, with beginning, middle and end, and you will be in the hands of a professional writer on every page. You won’t get lyric genius, or attempts to show the readers just how much verbal virtuosity can be crammed onto a single page. You will get what is known as a good read, and most important, unless...more
Kim A
I hadn't read the previous books in the series. I had seen Turtledove's name several times in the fantasy/sci-fi section of the library and bookstores, and thought I might as well try it out.

I debated between 'didn't like it' and OK. If I don't like a book, I won't read it--but I was interested enough to make it to the end of the book, if rather slowly. The characters were somewhat interesting, the world of the Rulers and Bizogots and their shamanistic magic somewhat interesting.

The ending was d...more
Gwen
OK, finished the series. Entertaining but nothing spectacular.
David
More climatic than the other two books in the series. The reference to the book of Daniel in the Bible would root this tale into the future which is pretty difficult to imagine it being so backwards in the future. Count Hamnet as the hero-yet-not-a-hero was a little tiring and again there's too much sex.
AmblingBooks
The award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Harry Turtledove continues the alternate-Bronze-Age epic begun in Beyond the Gap.

Listen to The Golden Shrine on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
It probably deserves a 3, and maybe it is that I have simply read too many of his ‘World War’ type books, but this one was pretty formula. It has some good things, but nothing really new or creative. Supposedly set at the end of the ice age, or an ice age, its pretty standard fantasy fair.
Bruce
Last of a trilogy. Suffers from only one fault, persisting in Turtledove's writing style, of not being easily read or enjoyed without the preceding volumes. Taking that into account a good story, well told, and marred by only a few unexplained things.
Brentman99
Dec 27, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like Turtledove's writing.
This was a series that got better as it went along. It had a good ending and I enjoyed the series. Good plot and characters made it a worthwhile read.
Jayw
Disillusioned noble & smart alec side kick join forces with mammoth herding tundra dwellers and ice-beauty wizard to do battle with deer riding baddies from the other side of the glacier while searching for golden shriners. Part III of the trilogy.
Ron
Interesting end to the Gap series which flips the reader's time frame in the last few chapters. Be sure to read the 1st two volumes so you know the characters and situation. Enjoy!
Sue
Third book of the trilogy.

These books were not outstandingly well-written, & in fact the 2nd & 3rd books weren't as intriguing as the first one, imho. But entertaining nevertheless.
Mark
I guessed the ending long before it happened The hero's actions afterward was very annoying and not all heroic. I'm wondering if this was an earlier work that the author fixed up.
Donnelle
I found it relatively difficult to relate to the main protagonist, but there were some scathing moments of sarcasm from another character, which I absolutely adored.
Elaine Nelson
Not overwhelmingly great, but a decent read. Third of a trilogy, but I found it pretty easy to pick up what might have happened in the prior two books.
David Todd
End of a nice thrilgy. Turtledove imagines an unusual place and time and dragged me in. Enjoyable diversion.
Russell Anderson
I can't get into Harry Turtledove's books. The plot progresses but the characters seem distant.
Craig Minton
Craig Minton is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Sage Leeson
Sage Leeson marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Aaron Angel
Aaron Angel marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Daniel Wolf
Daniel Wolf marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Donald Bradham
Donald Bradham marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce...more
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)