Start by marking “Darkhouse” as Want to Read:
Darkhouse

Darkhouse (Joe Lucchesi #1)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  418 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
In this electrifying thriller-a bestseller in Great Britain and Ireland--Alex Barclay creates a stunning array of contrasts--from the violence of a cop's world to thefragility of an embattled marriage, from the danger of New York's gritty streets to the quiet of a seaside Irish village. With brilliance and subtlety, Barclay delivers a nerve-wracking tale of a troubled fami ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Darkhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkhouse

LJ
DARKHOUSE (Suspense-Ireland-Cont) – NR
Barclay, Alex – 1st book
HarperCollins, 2003- UK Hardcover
NY Detective Joe Lucchesi is on leave with his wife, Anna, and son, Shaun, in Ireland. When Shaun's girlfriend goes missing, Joe decides to find out what happened.
*** I made it to page 136, but only because I was waiting for my car to be serviced and had finished my other book. It's unfortunate because the basic plot was interesting. But the story rambled on with a lot of characters but no real charact
Asghar Abbas

The storyline and the writing style was OK, to tell you the truth I don't even remember most of it. The cover is the only reason, I am talking about this book at the moment. Look at it, have you ever seen anything so beautiful ?

Imagine me saying this in an Irish accent :)
Rob Kitchin
Feb 08, 2014 Rob Kitchin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darkhouse was a book I edged my way through given the underlying tension and sense of foreboding, which left me uncertain as to whether I really wanted to find out how the story is resolved. Much of that tension is created through the intersecting storylines and juxtaposition of everyday family and village life in Ireland in the early 2000s, with the dark world of Duke Rawlins and Donnie Riggs in North Texas in the late 1980s. Barclay’s writing is vivid and well paced and balanced. The character ...more
Bern
This book is lazy, horrid, and terribly confusing. Plus, the story line isn't even tied up completely at the end and, from what I've gathered from reviews of the sequel, the loose ends from this one play little to no part in the future. Sigh. At least the cover was pretty and the slogan, dramatic.
Taksya
Nov 07, 2015 Taksya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bella l'ambientazione (l'Irlanda resta sempre l'Irlanda e sapere di cosa stanno parlando aiuta parecchio), buoni anche i personaggi. La trama è abbastanza semplice e tranquilla, con un buon finale a sopresa. La sola cosa che mi ha creato difficoltà è lo stile, a mio parere molto frammentario. Ogni capitolo si suddivide in paragrafi (spesso brevi) che seguono l'azione di ogni personaggio, alternandoli tra loro. Purtroppo nell'edizione italiana spesso venivano persi gli spazi separatori tra un par ...more
Ian Mapp
Apr 17, 2012 Ian Mapp rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
MARGO
Apr 13, 2013 MARGO rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I am just too hard to please lately with the books I have selected to read, but I did not care for this one at all. There are way too many characters and the writing jumps from one story line to another and different times and settings. So confusing and hard to follow. There is one particular passage where the writer is describing Joe having a drink in a pub with a group of Irish men, then the very next paragrah describes Joe's son Shaun's girlfriend Katie. This makes no sense whatsoever ...more
Feb 14, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful and captivating novel. The characters are likable, and I really felt for the main family as they struggle to come to terms with the disappearance. The resolution was very satisfying. The climax of the novel was a flurry of activity which seemed to make no sense until it was all cleared up at the end. What makes this novel a cut above most suspense novels was the realistic characters who are very three dimensional. The novel goes along and you think there are no surprises than the auth ...more
Πάνος Τουρλής
Αγωνιώδες και ανατρεπτικό. Η συγγραφέας μας αποκαλύπτει σιγά σιγά τη σχέση που έχει ο δολοφόνος με τον αστυνομικό. Η πρώτη σκηνή του βιβλίου θα μου μείνει αξέχαστη: ο Ντόναλντ Ριγκς επιστρέφει την κόρη που απήγαγε στη μάνα της, παίρνει τα λύτρα και... ανάβει τον πυροκροτητή. Μάνα και κόρη γίνονται κομμάτια. Ο αστυνομικός Λακέζι τον σκοτώνει σε νόμιμη άμυνα. Χρόνια μετά, ο Λακέζι αγωνίζεται να σώσει την οικογένειά του και την ψυχική τους ηρεμία. Καταφεύγουν στο Δουβλίνο και ξεκινούν από την αρχή. ...more
Feb 11, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't worry about the multiple characters and setting switches going on at the beginning--eventually they all come together! It is odd that there is only a two-line space between the changes though--so when I lost my place on a page, I really got confused and had to start over!

Joe "retires" from the police force in America when he shoots a unarmed criminal dead in the streets. All agree that it's best that he travels to Ireland with his wife and son--she's fixing up a lighthouse for a Vogue Inte
Kathleen Dixon
A New York policeman takes time out with his wife and son to live in Ireland for a year or so. But when a nasty murder takes place locally he gradually realises that vengeance is being wreaked on him because of a fatal shooting he was involved in not long before their move.

This book not only gets the reader thoroughly involved in the family at risk, but also takes us into the childhood of the murderer and what turned him into a psycopath. Very well done.
Katherine Campbell
Honestly, there is nothing inherently terrible about this. It's just your basic mystery beach read. The plot is inherently interesting, and the characters are numerous, but what detracts from both of these aspects is that the author has clearly never heard the axiom "Show, don't tell". I feel like this would translate well to nighttime TV screens, but reading constant descriptions of moments that should be obvious became quite tedious after awhile. This also goes for characters that were mostly ...more
Tim Corke
Dec 07, 2011 Tim Corke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After originally finding "Darkhouse" a struggle, it turned into a page-turner of the highest quality. The use of modern-day and the past as the focus develops the plot and the characters brilliantly, gently dropping in references that pull you deeper into the story. It's a classic crime-thriller and can't wait to find other Barclay novels. Dare I say, but film material?? Brilliant read.
Enni
Aug 09, 2010 Enni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
A pretty good read but a little heavy on the flashbacks. A few less would have been better. Also sometimes the jumps from one character to the other came so fast it almost made me dizzy. But still a good read that kept me turning pages. And I loved that it was set in Ireland.
Victoria
Jan 29, 2010 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was an exciting thriller! There were some slower parts, but the characters were much more developed than most thrillers. I REALLY enjoyed this. I really hope that the loose ends are tied up in a sequel! It was just such an exciting book with an excellent ending!
Lee
Mar 26, 2014 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had a hard time getting into this one. The beginning went from past to present at break neck speed...I was having a hard time keeping up with, who was who....who did what to whom.:) I got settled in to the story tho, good atmosphere taking place in Ireland, and those constant dark, dreary days. Then toward the end of the story, I ran across a boo-boo. The Jeep is gone, house silent, when Anna got back. Joe's mobile phone lying on the counter. Next scene, Joe finds out some information, and calls ...more
Ina
May 29, 2011 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-novel
Can't the past just remain past?

After a tragedy happens at work, a detective takes a break from NYPD and takes his family to a quiet place in Ireland. There will NYPD detective Joe Lucchesi spend a year with his family before he goes back to work. He's gonna stay there, spend time with the family and just do ordinary things. He needs a place to calm down after a brutal event.

But the quiet and isolated place in Ireland for the Lucchesi family turns soon to a nightmare. Joe's son, Shaun is 16 and
Lance Greenfield
Oct 08, 2009 Lance Greenfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lighthouse or Darkhouse?

This is a great debut novel. Whilst I agree with other reviewers that it sticks broadly to a formula, it is definitely a gripping crime thriller. I just could not put it down, and found myself reading until two in the morning having originally intended to read just to the end of the next chapter.

A New York detective opts for a "quiet life" in Ireland, which will allow his beautiful French wife to follow her own career interests. Her task is to transform a lighthouse for a
Simon
Jul 21, 2011 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
NYPD detective Joe Lucchesi moves his family to Ireland after a botched ransom drop in a kidnapping case that results in the deaths of the kidnapper, the kidnapped child and her mother. But an ocean can't keep the Lucchesi family away from trouble. Joes' son, Sean, his girlfriend disappears and the dead kidnapper's partner in crime goes after Joe and his family.

Tough one to grade. There are a lot of storylines and the first third of the book is spent setting them up and the story as a whole got
Dessi
Aug 10, 2014 Dessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read our review on Dazzledmag: "I had bought this book some time before I actually read it as it became one of those that end up on the “to read eventually” pile. I was attracted by the cover of the Brazilian version and the story seemed pretty interesting..."
www.dazzledmag.com/all-posts/review-d...
Elizabeth Bennet
This book was not really for me. There is nothing wrong with it but it put me to sleep more than once. Not a bad book so I can recommend but it didn't work for me.
Nanci Svensson
One word: BORING.
Ann Tracy
Jan 05, 2009 Ann Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have the pleasure of knowing Yve - whoops - Alex Barclay. She retreats at the same house that I do along the West Coast of Ireland.

I only read a couple mystery-suspense types book a year, and I really enjoyed this one. Not sure how fair I can be given our acquaintance.

The beginning of this book was a bit tough to get into, many characters and some jumping around, which is simply how this writer writes, but WORTH sticking to it. I could not put this book down!
Ruth Govaerts
May 03, 2010 Ruth Govaerts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ieder mens heeft zo zijn eigen mening over wat
rustig is en wat niet. Maar ik vond dit alles behalve.
Ik vond het boeiend hoe je doormiddel van flash backs het verleden
van Duke en zijn vriend Ritchie beetje bij beetje begon te begrijpen.
Hoe ze van normale jongens in gestoorde psychopaten
veranderden. Arme lieve meisjes.
Ik zou nooit in hun stomme truckjes getrapt hebben!
Neenee! Bij mij zou het gene waar geweest zijn!
Foreign
30-year-old Irish writer Alex Barclay's debut crime thriller DARKHOUSE, to Lynne Drew and Wayne Brookes at Harper UK, in a major deal estimated as at least 350,000 pounds, by Darley Anderson (UK/Commonwealth).

Complex Chinese rights to Alex Barclay's DARKHOUSE and sequel THE CALLER, to Sharp Point Press, in a nice deal, in a two-book deal, at auction, by Gray Tan at Jia-Xi Books, on behalf of Darley Anderson.
Tory Wagner
Jul 28, 2012 Tory Wagner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great debut novel. There was lots of action and some wonderful characters. I'm sure that this is just the first in anew mystery series. The main character is a police detective who retires and moves with his wife and son to Ireland. His wife, a decorator, is working on renovating a lighthouse for a photo spread in a magazine. Of course, crime follows him and the action takes off.
Melanie Cook
I wasn't sure, when I bought this, off a sale table at a book store, if Alex Barclay was a male or a female. Having read the book I had to look her up online to discover that she is indeed female. This was her first book, and I've already requested her next book at my local library.

This was excellent! I really enjoyed it, and now I can't wait for more of her writing.
Linda
Nov 17, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book, interesting characters and settings, although more description of Ireland would be nice. There is something very
different about this from the usual formula mystery. The people
are complex, even the good ones are a little bad or stupid sometimes, just like real life. Also, it is not all wrapped up neatly at the
end, also real.
Lorna
Sep 10, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tricky at first to undertsnad the beginning but quickly moved into top gear- with sinister and gruesome elements which kept you gripped . I found the ultimate showdown rather a let down but certainly not predictable. For a first novel it was a stunner. I'll certainly watch out for future works by this author.
Susan
Apr 27, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, there's the last of my all-time top three favourite books! I've just realised that two of my top favorite books are crime fiction, written by Irish writers with the addition of the American author, Dean Koontz. This book ensured I was a fan and waiting with baited breath for Alex Barclay's next books . . .
  • Skuld
  • Ice Moon
  • The Death of an Irish Sinner (Peter McGarr, #15)
  • La mémoire fantôme (Lucie Hennebelle, #2)
  • The Nameless Dead (Inspector Devlin, #5)
  • Scalpel
  • Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century
  • La Promesse des ténèbres
  • Small Lives
  • Red Ribbons
  • Alchemist
  • Paradis Sur Mesure
  • Blood Count
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • The Dead
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • Divorcing Jack
Barclay studied journalism at university and worked for a period in fashion and beauty journalism as a copywriter in the RTÉ Guide. In 2003, she left the fashion industry to write Darkhouse, the first of two novels featuring NYPD detective Joe Lucchesi. Her second novel, The Caller, was released in 2007, and Last Call in 2008. She won the Ireland AM Crime Fiction Award at the Irish Book Awards for ...more
More about Alex Barclay...

Joe Lucchesi (2 books)
  • The Caller (Joe Lucchesi, #2)