Start by marking “Titanic: an Illustrated History” as Want to Read:
Titanic: an Illustrated History

Titanic: an Illustrated History

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,762 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Dramaticillustrations and poignant tales bring to life the magnificent Titanic in this encyclopedic volume. A richand masterful depiction,this documentation includes original photographs taken by survivors and countless images of artifacts and debris found on the ocean floor, giving readers the most comprehensive representation of the ship to date. The interviews with the ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Madison Press Books (first published 1992)

Sara
Sep 26, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a rather sad review for me to write. My grandmother who was born the day the Titanic sunk (or hit the iceberg) was always fascinated by the Titanic. It meant something to her. I saw this book in a catalog and I ordered it for her for Christmas one year and sent it to her.

Unfortunately, she was ill and the book was too heavy for her. I heard that she looked at the cover and said it looked good, she'd read it someday.

She didn't survive much longer and she never got to read the book.

I ende
Roxanne
Mar 31, 2012 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a Titanic fan, this book will excite you.

Donald Lynch has the greatest job I could ever wish for. He has spent years researching and interviewing Titanic survivors and family of survivors.

This book's acutal photos of individuals are spooky to me. Even those who survived. The eyes seem to look right through me.

I am particularly curious about one of the facts mentioned on Page 194 of the book.

"More speculative still are the stories of a large gold shipment on board. One perpetuator of t
Meg
Feb 26, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The most beautiful, perfect and by far the best book about the history of the Titanic, her sinking and her wreck that exists today. Told by the best Titanic historian there is, Don Lynch, and filled with illustrations by none other than Ken Marschall, this is an absolute MUST HAVE for all those with a passion for the Titanic. I first came across this book in my aunt's house some time in 1997, and I devoured it for as long as I could before I had to go back home with my mom. I talked about this b ...more
Kara
Aug 12, 2013 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Time travelers, history writers
Shelves: nautical, titanic

This was James Cameron’s main source for his film Titanic, and it shows, both in his imagery and writing, often not just sourced but out right copied form here – pictures of the ship as it went down and lines such as “the sheets had never been slept in”.

The book is AMAZING. The writing style is this perfect type of up-to-the-second on the ground present-past tense that makes you feel as though you are right there, full off suspense of who will survive, and very well researched, chock-a-block ful
Erin B.
Mar 03, 2014 Erin B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of, if not, my favorite Titanic book. Don Lynch did a fantastic job of bringing all the elements of why Titanic is so fascinating! The construction, the people on board, the stories told, the disaster, and the aftermath. The pictures are also excellent!

If you're a Titanic nut, this is the book for you!
Riley Gardner
Oct 17, 2015 Riley Gardner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book is a day, which is a pretty rare thing for me to do - even in a book about the Titanic, my lifelong obsession. I finally read this after years upon years of studying (I'm attempting to build my Titanic library up) and many facts were things I'd already known.

That being said, I'm floored with the perfection of the book. This is by far the BEST general history of the Titanic disaster. Actually, it isn't about the Titanic disaster. It begins with the conception of the idea of t
Thomas Rewi
I decided to read this book because we were in the library and I needed a book to read so I read this.

It completes the "a book with themes related to those we've studied in term 3". I enjoyed this bingo board slot because we are watching the movie in class so it gives me a deeper knowledge of the disaster. This means I may be able to benefit from this in future tests and assessments. I found this slot interesting because the opinion from the book is well illustrated in the movie.

My favorite quot
Lyndsay
I've never seen the movie, but have been fascinated with the story of Titanic since I was a young girl (I think it stems from the anniversary of the disaster always being near my birthday). This book was so great to read because it had so many illustrations and pictures. It was just what I was looking for. Lots of details and facts, not too much fluff. While reading it I remember thinking that someone should make a movie so we could see in true detail all the amazing features, then remembered oh ...more
Jacob Segarra
Apr 12, 2016 Jacob Segarra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I love this book. The theme of the text is that it tells how people survived the disater and also told about the process to bulding the large cruise ship. I also liked the facts and details it had provided
Jacqueline Layne
This is a nice coffee table book, large. This is probably the most beautifully presented book on the Titanic I have read.
David
May 22, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book mainly for the truly gorgeous artwork by Ken Marschall. As it turns out, the book also comes with a comprehensive account of the facts that led to the construction of the TITANIC as well as what happened after the sinking.
I can only recommend this wonderful book.

Also, this was the book James Cameron used to sell his film to Warner. You'll be surprised to see how much stuff from the film was taken from this book, and even the images of the ship in the film resemble a lot the pa
Bismo Anugrah
May 13, 2014 Bismo Anugrah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
maybe that's book is very many experience for someone which passed away since accident the ship hit an iceberg
Weston Edwards
May 19, 2015 Weston Edwards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is absolutely great. It really grabs your attention, and makes you sit on your seat.
Jordan
Sep 29, 2013 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Titanic: an Illustrated History by Donald Lynch is an amazing book that you should read! It is a non-fiction book about the Titanic with wonderful pictures and lots of information. I have read other books about the Titanic but none are as good as this one! In the book it talks about people who were on the Titanic and there stories, the crew members, what rooms were in it and what was in the rooms, it even talks about her sister ships-the Olympic and the Britannic, and much more! If you are inter ...more
Sara Kreps
Feb 01, 2016 Sara Kreps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A coffee table book with excellent pictures.
Hanna
Aug 13, 2014 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. Good, but a bit on the boring side.
Ben Norton
pics are badly drawn!!!
Lisa
Mar 15, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I saw this book in the bookstore, I put it on layaway ( a little expensive but well worth the price). Don Lynch did a thorough job with his research and telling the tragic story. This was my first of many Titanic books purchased over the years and the best - for the detailed information, photos and illustrations. A must for every Titanic history buff.
Luke Shortland
(1) This book fits under the "Graphic Novel" category.

(2) I read it because I wanted to read more books so I just randomly picked it up and read it.

(3) I liked the pictures in the book. The fitted the story.

(4) I didn't like how everything happened so fast in the book.

(5) I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Titanic.
Sanna
Oct 06, 2010 Sanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, books-i-own
I'm very interested in the whole Titanic thing; the history of the ship and all, but mostly the people that were onboard. To read about they way their lives ended and their dreams were crushed, is very interesting, but at the same time very heart breakening. This is an excellent book for anyone who's interested in Titanic.
Lauren
Jun 11, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, titanic
I got into a HUGE Titanic phase when the movie came out and everything I got for Christmas that year revlved around Titanic in some way. This is one of the books I received and I loved all of the pictures. This book brought out my imagination of what happened and got me really into the vastness of the Titanic experience.
Jessica
Dec 27, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really, really cool. Lots of interesting pictures, including more lifeboat pictures after the sinking, which is, of course, something that has plagued me since I was a wee lass. This is an excellent resource for Titanic studies... it could be almost a textbook. Truly a wonderful book.
Alex
Jun 01, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: titanic, nonfiction
An absolutely amazing and beautifully illustrated book. This included tons of details even I didn't know about the Titanic - mostly passenger's accounts and stories. I loved the intricate details and the multitude of photos and illustrations. One of the best Titanic books I've ever read.
Melinda
Apr 23, 2008 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best version I've read yet. It has full accounts and amazing pictures. I kept wanting the ship to be rescued even though I knew the history. It's just amazing that this even happened. There were some real heroes and some real jerks that resulted from the disaster.
Patrick
Feb 14, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The definitive introduction to the history on the RMS Titanic. Filled with gorgeous imagery, Lynch has done an excellent job breaking the events of April 14-15, 1912 into easy to follow, yet still thorough storytelling. This is an excellent book to start one's research with.
Emily
Dec 03, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. This is the best book about the Titanic I have ever read... And I've read a great deal. The information was amazing the stories heart breaking and amazing. The illistrations and photographs were very unique and i hadn't seen many of them before. All on all I LOVE IT!!!
Mary
Mar 01, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Interesting facts.. it's so sad what happened. I used to constantly read this all the time when I was young. I guess it just made me curious as to how many people and young children died that day. Also, at the time, my favourite movie was Titanic.
Janette
May 28, 2012 Janette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The paintings by Ken Marshall are incredible! The text is well written, so much information presented in a very reader friendly format, the photos and illustrations are placed just right. This is a GREAT book for any Titanic enthusiast.
Marissa
This is a good book about the Titanic. It gives lots of information about what really happened. When the titanic, a crouse ship, was sailing it hit an ice burge, which made the huge ship sink! It was very sad, many people lost their lives.
Kelly
Dec 19, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'll admit it -- I'm a Titanic buff. When I was a little girl my mom had a datebook that listed famous events for dates -- Titanic hit the iceberg on my birthday, so I've always been interested. This is just a lovely, thorough book.
  • The Discovery of the Titanic
  • Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Titanic: A Survivor's Story
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Titanic
  • Titanic Survivor
  • Unsinkable: The Full Story Of The RMS Titanic
  • Shadow of the Titanic: The Extraordinary Stories of Those Who Survived
  • Titanic
  • How to Survive the Titanic: or, The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler