Start by marking “Aftershock & Others: 16 Oddities” as Want to Read:
Aftershock & Others: 16 Oddities

Aftershock & Others: 16 Oddities (The Secret History of the World)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Aftershock & Others is the third collection of short fiction by New York Times bestselling author F. Paul Wilson, hailed by the Rocky Mountain News as "among the finest storytellers of our times."

The title novelette won the Bram Stoker Award and its companions touch on the past, present, and future-from the inflationary insanity of Weimar Germany ("Aryans and Absinthe"
Published March 31st 2009 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Aftershock & Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftershock & Others

how id rate each story (1)5 (2)5 (3)4.5 (4)5 (5)5 (6)2.5 (7)1 (8)4 (9)5 (10)5 (11)3 (12)5 (13)5 (14)2 (15)0 (16)0

the twist to frankenstein was my favorite. the twist to the blob, human body parts in food, human skin purse where also grate the other ones that slipped my mind but i gave good ratings

before most of the storys theres two parts of information. about how the author came up with it, which was slightly amusing. about each year, which i skipped over because iv never read this
I stopped reading Wilson a few years ago. I loved Repairman Jack, one of the best characters I'd seen in ages. When the Rakosh started featuring more and more in his stories, I thought, well, I'll keep going even tho I really don't dig the paranormal stuff. But when he pulled a Stephen King and wrote himself in his book, I gave up on the series.

But I do love his short stories. "Soft and others" is one of my favorite short story collections. So I figured I'd give this one a shot. I didn't think t
Eric Bauman
I seem to have a love-hate affair with anthologies. I do love short stories—the most effective of them can kick you in the teeth or affect you emotionally in other ways (in different ways that a novel usually can’t, and I’m not smart enough to know how that is). But I find that a lot of anthologies leave me with a distinct feeling of “meh” when I get to the end of them—some stories are great, some are okay, and some make me wonder why I read them. I do seem to have better luck, though, with sing ...more
This is a good short story collection from F. Paul Wilson. As he did with earlier collections, he gives a summary of his work over the year the story was written as an introduction in addition to a preface to each story. In some ways, these are as interesting as the stories themselves, but also disheartening. Hardly a year goes by that doesn't deal with the ongoing frustration of being able to get "The Tomb" out of development hell and made into a film. There are no bad stories here, but some ar ...more
Meh. I don't read a lot of horror and picked this up because I thought from the blurb that it would be more SF, but it was fairly straightforward horror, fairly forgettable. Not bad, just run-of-the-mill with nothing particularly striking about most of the stories. Two that stood out as more original than the others were "Foet," a truly gruesome statement on what people are willing to do to be high fashion, and one (whose title I can't reproduce because it requires special typesetting) about "Th ...more
Loaned to me by the wonderful Jenn, Aftershock & Others is a collection of short stories from F. Paul Wilson's entire writing career. In between the stories, which are entered by year, is a short entry detailing what was going on in Wilson's career and a blurb about the story, what it was written for, and, if he can remember, what inspired the story.

Overall a great collection, one Jack story is included. The stories run from incredibly creepy (giant spiders eating people) to political ("Foet
This collection of 19 short stories are arranged in the order in which they were written spanning the years 1990 to 2005. Preceding each story is autobiographical information concerning what Wilson was working on at the time showing some context and influences. Each story is also preceded by a short introduction generally concerning the genesis of the story to follow. This collection of stories are on a wide variety of themes and topics. A couple of stories are set in the 1930s--one in the China ...more
Great set of sort stories.
Hate that he has said this will be his last collection.
I loved the spider one, the ending was great.
The repairman jack one was also great.
That is not to say the others were not great, they all were.
Feb 09, 2011 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of short horror fiction and F Paul Wilson
I love the short story form. It can be very effective when done well and F Paul Wilson rarely disappoints. This is another fine collection of his previously published short fiction written between 1990 and 2005. Some of my favorites include "Foet", "When He Was Fab", "Aryans and Absinthe", and "Anna". I enjoyed nearly all of the pieces except for only a couple. I was a little disappointed in the Repairman Jack story, "Interlude at Duane's". I was also enlightened and entertained the year-by-year ...more
I don't know what it was about me and short story collections a couple of years ago (2010). Is it my attention span? Possibly! Though I hope not.

As usual, I enjoyed Wilson's writing. I was glad to sample him outside of the Adversary Cycle / Repairman Jack series. He is great with plot and great with holding the reader's attention. Dickens he is not. But for a good time, Wilson is the man.

I found it interesting how the volume was laid out chronologically and how each year had an autobiographical
19 short stories by one of my favorite authors, and some VERY entertaining anecdotes about the years the stories were written. All said, Wilson is just a great read, even at his least effective. The Repairman Jack series is excellent, as is the Adversary Cycle (I'm not sure why they are seperate items as they are actually the same world...)and this book has some of both. Not as eye-opening as THE BARRENS AND OTHERS, it certainly reads well. I have to recommend it. I read it in a single sitting.
Like most short story collections, I'm not going to rate the whole book as I did not read every story. I got this to read two short stories that pertain to Wilson's Secret History of the World. I also read some of the others if they seemed interesting enough to me. I also read the author's blurbs between the stories. I usually find that interesting and it was in this book as well.

It led me to read another short story by Ray Bradbury called October Games. That was a good, creepy story.
William Malmborg
This is a great collection of stories from one of my all time favorite authors; however, what I found most enjoyable about the book was the biographical timeline F. Paul Wilson had going before each story. It was really interesting to see what was happening in the writer's life while these stories were being created, especially all the details about his different book deals and publishing house adventures / struggles.
Terry Earley
Although I am not a short story fan, and must be in just the right mood for horror genre, I liked most of these stories, though I skipped the author's introductions.

The first was the best. The Frankenstein story as told by the brain implanted in the monster's head. She remembers her former life and cannot understand why she inhabits this grotesque body in her "nightmares".
Not a bad collection of short stories by F. Paul Wilson, some better than others, but all good. I really enjoyed the introduction to each story where he talks about what was going on in his life at the time he wrote the story. My favorite was the Repairman Jack story that was the caboose of the book, but then I've always liked his Repairman Jack series of novels.
David Marshall
A very satisfying collection of short stories with fascinating notes of how an author spends his time when not writing.
I enjoyed almost all of the short stories in this collection, especially the follow-up to the Halloween story I'd read quite a while back. They're creepy and sometimes gross, but always entertaining.
Sheri White
First book read of 2012 - F. Paul Wilson is always great to read, of course. My favorite collection of his is "Soft and Others" but this had some great stories. "Foet" is a classic.
Lindsey Goddard
This is an amazing short story collection from a man who knows his craft. The stories are compelling, original, and truly inspired me as a short story writer. Well done, all of them.
I like F Paul Wilson but this book wasn't great. Some of the short stories were entertaining but none of them blew me away. I don't recommend this book.
Favorite short stories: “Please Don’t Hurt Me,” “Sex Slaves of the Dragon Tong,”
“Interlude at Duanes’s.”
Dave mcloughlin
some good stories here,aftershock was definitely the best,the barrens was a much better collection
Jackie marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Rhi is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2015
Jeff marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
  • The Compleat Crow
  • Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories
  • Supernatural Noir
  • Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Purple)
  • The Best of Joe R. Lansdale
  • Ghosts: Recent Hauntings
  • Black Evening
  • Semiotext(e) SF
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

The Secret History of the World (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Demonsong
  • Black Wind
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • Reborn (Adversary Cycle, #4)
  • Secret Histories (Young Repairman Jack, #1)
  • Secret Circles (Young Repairman Jack, #2)
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • The Barrens and Others
  • Cold City (Repairman Jack: The Early Years, #1)
  • Dark City (Repairman Jack: The Early Years #2)