Start by marking “Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry” as Want to Read:
Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry

Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  246 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Biblical theology is taken down from the shelves of misunderstanding and neglect and placed in pastors' hands as the practical, everyday tool it is. Capitol Hill Baptist Church associate pastor Michael Lawrence contributes to the IXMarks series as he centers on the practical importance of biblical theology to ministry. He begins with an examination of a pastor's tools of t ...more
Published April 30th 2010 by Crossway Books (first published March 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church

Barry
Sep 01, 2015 Barry rated it really liked it
Mr. Lawrence does a good job of breaking down Biblical and systematic theology in a way that is easy to understand. He tells the basics and gives practical applications of both types of theology, and ultimately makes a compelling case for why Biblical theology is both necessary and unavoidable in the life of believers.

The book stumbles in the application phase. It is tough to follow Mr. Lawrence's thinking when he takes his theological tools and applies them to actual cases. Perhaps this is a r
Guy Boily
Apr 19, 2014 Guy Boily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Voici un bon moment que je n'avais aimer lire un livre dans son entier. Sur le sujet Michael Lawrence nous fait découvrir la théologie pratique. Les premiers chapitres jettent les bases, donc sont plus théoriques sans être académiques. Par la suite l'auteur nous fait découvrir l'importance de la théologie, c'est à dire que toutes questions doivent être analysées et toutes réponses doivent être fondées sur une bonne compréhension des enseignements bibliques. Ce qui rend ce livre intéressant ce so ...more
Matt Tyler
Jan 15, 2015 Matt Tyler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is a helpful book on the importance of biblical theology for Christians. It provides the necessary tools for those who need a context for understanding biblical theology. Lawrence then traces some themes throughout Scripture to demonstrate his work. The last two chapters, which are particularly helpful, provide good examples as to why biblical theology is so important for the church. I would recommend this book to pastors and church members because, as Lawrence argues, biblical theology giv ...more
Marc Mullins
Jun 05, 2012 Marc Mullins rated it it was amazing
Here is my high level response.

Michael Lawrence has hit it out of the park with this one. I would recommend this book to everyone who has any teaching responsibility in the church in order to produce sound exegesis and interpretation of the text of Holy Scripture.

The first few chapters Lawrence does an exquisite job of introducing readers to Grammatical, Historical, Canonical hermeneutics (interpretation). I can see solidly his influences from respected professors such as Dr. Stephen Wellum, who
Jonathan Maikell
Feb 22, 2016 Jonathan Maikell rated it liked it
The end result of this book is a fresh perspective on approach all of scripture from a Christocentric view. Not a novel concept but the book makes a strong case for such a reading of scripture. The later chapters are very helpful in preparing lessons. I have found this to help make it easier to prepare Sunday school lessons. Especially when spending time in the Old Testament. It provides the tools to use just about any part of the Bible to share the gospel.
Michael Chhangur
Mar 27, 2016 Michael Chhangur rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
Lawrence has a slightly different goal in mind, but it's probably better to read someone like Graeme Goldsworthy who is more careful with biblical theology. Lawrence has an axe to grind with certain theological positions and ended up demonstrating to me how one ought not to use biblical theology in the church.
Coyle
Nov 12, 2014 Coyle rated it it was amazing
"The bulk of Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church is dedicated therefore to helping us develop our biblical theological muscles. The first and third parts of the book lay out the tools necessary for doing biblical theology properly. These include explanations of: systematic theology (and how it directly relates to biblical theology); exegetical tools (to help us read Scripture in the first place); the various filters through which we have to read Scripture (covenant, typology, etc); and h ...more
Godly
Feb 18, 2014 Godly rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book! This is a great book on the topic of biblical theology. I love how it teaches to see the bigger picture through the progressive revelation from the OT to NT. Must read for all who intend to teach doctrine or pastor a church!
Aaron Choi
Aug 13, 2010 Aaron Choi rated it really liked it
Shelves: preaching, bible, church
A surprisingly practical introduction to applying biblical theology to real-life church ministry. I'm increasingly appreciative of IX Marks for how they seem to focus their writings for the service of the local church. Biblical ministry can easily become nothing more than theoretical abstraction or a helpful guide for studying the Scripture. Lawrence does a great job applying it into the context of church ministry and providing suggestions on how it can impact preaching and teaching in particula ...more
Tyler
Mar 12, 2016 Tyler rated it liked it
Great starting point for biblical theology. It can get very repetitive at times. The end of the book is wonderfully practical although some of his applications are a little far fetched and misrepresent the alternative positions.
Brian Kooshian
An excellent guide to applying the discipline of Biblical Theology to church life. A must-read for pastors and serious church members!
David Rathel
Apr 05, 2011 David Rathel rated it it was amazing
Lawrence gives an excellent intro to Biblical theology! I'll just quickly sketch out some of the topics he discusses in order to benefit those who are interested in the book.
Lawrence covers the gamut: 1) why Biblical theology is important in life of the church, 2) basic tools/methods one uses in the Biblical theology enterprise, 3) an overview of some of the Bible's key themes and, finally, 4) how one can employ BT in their church ministry.
Honestly, it was this last section that was the most in
Justin
Feb 13, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Really good intro to biblical theology. Disagree with some of the practical application of that good Biblical theology.
Kevin Davis
Dec 07, 2014 Kevin Davis rated it really liked it
It was great to see the necessity of both biblical and systematic theologies in the ministry of the Christian church.
Charles Johnson
Nov 01, 2015 Charles Johnson rated it it was amazing
Just started this Book, however it looks like I will enjoy it.
Crossbones
Feb 11, 2014 Crossbones marked it as to-read
On Logos
Vaclav
Jan 15, 2014 Vaclav rated it really liked it
excellent book! Biblical theology for everyone! met the author at the Simeon trust workshop. one of the most encouraging things i did in helping me to understand and teach the Scriptures in a Gospel/Christ centered way!
J. Alfred
Oct 16, 2010 J. Alfred rated it liked it
Read this for Men's Reading Group at church. What I've learned is this: I really like hanging out with a bunch of married guys, drinking coffee, and talking about books and Jesus. Hooray.
Anyhow, the book is about the practicality of Biblical Theology, and attempts to show that without a good understanding of Biblical Theology, all arguments come down to "duelling proof-texts." Works for me!
Jason
Jun 29, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing
A great primer on biblical theology, how it partners with and informs systematic theology, and most importantly, how they practically bless the church and come to the aid of Gospel-centered ministry. I would definitely recommend this book to any Christian doing ministry in the church.
Mark
Oct 14, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for pastors and lay leaders (and anyone who wants to know more about theology in general). I've studied Biblical Theology in many different classes, but this book helped me tremendously for the task of taking Biblical Theology to the church. Well done!
Corey
Oct 20, 2015 Corey rated it really liked it
Good stuff. Practical. The first few chapters were the best part of the book.
Daniel Wells
Feb 07, 2013 Daniel Wells rated it really liked it
Decent book. Can be simplistic in discussion of typology. Disagree with some discussion about relation of ST and BT. Last two chapters are excellent, though I would part with Lawrence on an issue or two in those chapters.
Charlestp
Dec 13, 2013 Charlestp rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I was so inspired by it.
The author brings in the Typological and Thematical preaching of the Word of God, which centers on Christ Jesus. I would say, it's a must read by every Preacher and Christian!
Jonny
Sep 05, 2012 Jonny rated it it was amazing
A seriously good book that I read way too quickly. I'll probably be coming back to it sooner rather than later. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to handle their Bible like a samurai sword.
Bob Ayres
May 23, 2013 Bob Ayres rated it really liked it
Lawrence produced a very good book with practical application for ministry. There were a couple of things that didn't sit well with me theologically but overall a solid book with helpful insights.
Tyler Hurst
Mar 25, 2016 Tyler Hurst rated it it was amazing
Great book, it gives a lot of helpful introductory level stuff, gives some clarifying talk on BT and begins to wade into the deep end without making you feel over your head.
Erik Spohr
Nov 24, 2014 Erik Spohr rated it it was amazing
An approachable, clear, and educational look at the relationship between biblical and systematic theology and why we need them both. I highly recommend!
Jason
Jan 31, 2015 Jason added it
Shelves: theology, seminary
Written for pastors, but valuable for any church member. From a Baptist perspective re: covenant, etc.
Michael Brown
Nov 11, 2010 Michael Brown rated it liked it
It is an ok book... good for an overview on a Biblical Theology in a Covenant Theology aspect.
Josh
Sep 02, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it
Just great. Very handy manual for Gospel ministry in the local church.

• From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • God in the Whirlwind: How the Holy-Love of God Reorients Our World
  • According to Plan
  • 40 Questions about Christians and Biblical Law
  • Evangelical Theology: A Biblical and Systematic Introduction
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • Justification Reconsidered: Rethinking A Pauline Theme
  • Proclaiming a Cross-Centered Theology
  • Love in Hard Places
  • Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance
  • Gospel Wakefulness

“Being missional is a way of thinking about the church and how it relates to the world. A missional church understands that the church doesn’t go on mission, or send people out to do missions. Rather, the church is the mission of God into the world, in order to heal the world and reconcile people to God. As a result, the church is not so much entrusted with a message, but is called to incarnate a person. We aren’t primarily about proclaiming Jesus’ work on the cross to the world. Rather we’re about making the words, deeds, and life of Jesus visible in every corner of our city.4” 0 likes