Disappearing Moon Cafe: A Novel

Disappearing Moon Cafe: A Novel

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Sometimes funny, sometimes scandalous, always compelling, this extraordinary first novel chronicles the women of the Wong family from frontier railroad camps to modern-day Vancouver. As past sins and inborn strengths are passed on from mother to daughter to granddaughter, each generation confronts, in its own way, the same problems — isolation, racism, and the clash of cul...more
Published January 9th 2006 by Douglas & McIntyre (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Disappearing Moon Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disappearing Moon Cafe

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Book of Negroes by Lawrence HillLife of Pi by Yann MartelThe English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
Canadian Fiction
81st out of 499 books — 396 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodKerri's War by Stephen Douglass
Oh, Canada!
378th out of 464 books — 189 voters

More lists with this book...

Erica
As a feminist writer, Sky Lee uses the familiar Chinese-Canadian novel format of weaving together the stories of different generations, to highlight Chinese women's struggles for independence. The story hops between past and present, slowly piecing together all the dirty family secrets (suicide, adultery, incest..).

The novel is very plot-driven, and I found myself losing interest because the characters were very flat - like stepmothers in a fairy tale. The elements of historical fiction were in...more
Cecilia
Weirdest book ever. I actually read the first half, but I scanned a significant amount of the second half. The family drama part was interesting, but the suicide, murder, and racial tension plots weren't. The family tree was ridiculously confusing and since there were so many characters, I didn't feel like I really got to know any of them, though Lee does an admirable job of character development with beautiful prose.

The one good thing about it was the lyrical prose and literary elements. If yo...more
Lesliemae
Jan 14, 2009 Lesliemae rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lesliemae by: Andrew Lesk
January 2009
I have finished reading this book for the second time and am contemplating it more this time in the manner of maps/genealogy/cartography - basically ways that people have solidified and legitimized their existence, place and by extension identity. However, maps hardly represent the true story behind their creation. I'm looking into some theory dealing with the legitimizing but also fictionalizing aspects of mapping out your existence.

Book is more interesting from this standpoint.

Augu...more
Jennifer Swapp
My preparation for my trip to Vancouver, BC led me to this book. It was a heart wrenching book, not allowing for much hope in the arena of human nature. I did learn through the process of reading the book a lot of the Chinese migration to the Gold Mountains- both CA and BC. I didn't know there was such a large pollution of Chinese in the vAncouver area.
I was stunned by the seemingly cruel way in which the women would speak to their children, and daughter-in-law, yet it seemed familiar. It remin...more
Lesley
This is a really great read. Fortunately, I think I got more out of it because of the class I'm currently taking. At first, I didn't understand why incest had to play a role. However, upon learning more about the History of Chinese immigration in Canada, it all made perfect sense. As there were few to no Chinese women around and there was no new immigrants coming, it was inevitable that the pool would shrink. I also learned about the history or Chinatowns and that hoped the story make more sense...more
Lbaker
At first I was having a hard time keeping names and characters straight, but after a while and after flipping to the useless family tree at the beginning I just didn't care anymore.

The characters were inter-changable, female characters were weak when young and nasty when old, male characters were weak all through. The lovers were sad and the lives of these people unreal.

I did not get attached to any characters deep enough to care if there life fell apart, if they killed themselves or just ruin...more
Helgaklassen
I found this book hard to follow. There were some interesting parts, and some of the author's descriptions were great, but I just lost interest.
Annie
As a recent newcomer to Canada, the book resonated with my feelings of having family and friends far away. It also guided me in a way with the manner in which family dramas progress in the novel, how one thing can change the course of a family. If you're looking for a read with a balance of both the past, the present, and the future, with ties to a far off home country, and assimilating to a new one, with the echoes of culture on it's heels, look no further than the Disappearing Moon Cafe.
marissa
A multi-generational tale of family obligation and family secrets, this book is also noteworthy for its exploration of the Chinese population of early Vancouver. Like in many Asian books, there's a sense of tragedy that permeates the lives of the characters and the entire story, the inevitability of fate and death and destruction. Disappearing Moon concentrates a little more heavily than I like on these negatives, but is still worth a read.
Zeina V.
Good book, beautiful and intriguing. Four generations of Chinese-Canadian women, the culture, the lives and the men, the prejudice, and their relationships to each other. Slightly confusing at points, but there is a nice little graph at the beginning to help you figure out who is who. Sky Lee was compared to Marquez when this was first published. I can definitely see the influence.
Jodi
I just randomly picked this one up off the floor of our apartment and couldn't put it down. Really well written, shocking and tragic at times...even made me cry at one point. I love reading about the history of Vancouver from different perspectives...really makes me view it in a whole different light.
Kate
Oct 12, 2009 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
Interesting book. I liked how Lee showed the different stories and perspectives from everyone in the novel. I liked that she showed the different generations and how things came to be. I'd recommend this book, it paints a good picture of Chinese culture in the 1920's.
VWrulesChick
Read this book a couple years ago and had a good read through it with references to Vancouver. But also seeing how the family evolves from generation and the challenges/situations they face through their diversity and surrounding culture of their time. Recommend.
Linda
Terribly confusing family tree made more so by jumping around with time lines and character perspectives. At the very end the strange family tree did make some sense. Chinese immigrants in Canada and their family ties.
Rebecca
I think what I love most about this book is that the stories are never quite complete, that even after returning to each one for the last time, the reader knows that there is still more to tell.
Christina
"He imagined the mountain shuddering, roaring out in pain, demanding human sacrifice for this profanity. And the real culprits held out blood-spattered chinamen like a protective talisman" - page 16
Joy
Writing about incest, family scandal and treachery takes a gifted writer to keep the story afloat. Although Sky Lee is talented, I she isn't able to keep this story from slogging
Sherri
I couldn't finish this book as it didn't hold my interest. Too choppy and confusing and not enough character depth. I was hoping to support a local author but her story fell flat.
Kaiti
it was pretty hard to follow all the jumping around in time and shifts between narrators and such, but the story itself was interesting enough to keep me going.
Johanna Lauer
Thrilling, but confusing - too many characters on too many different temporal levels. I only got it when I read it the second time.
Linda Olson
Try as I might, I could not stay focused on this book. May be the wrong time to read it, or maybe it will never grab my interest.
Erin
Kinda dumb. I figured out the whole secret pages before it was actually revealed, so as result, I didn't really finish the book.
Becca
An excellent, enticing subtly feminist novel with mystery and intrigue and complex character development. I really enjoyed it.
Canuckgal
The Ice Storm...Chinese-style. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was engaged from the start.
Val
A hard-to-follow story about a family with secrets in Vancouver's Chinatown.
Janet
Chinese immigration, Canada, hard work
people
Michele
compelling, but a little outlandish
Mark
engaging story, impressive writing
Marcus
Overly melodramatic at times.
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • Cereus Blooms at Night
  • Kiss of the Fur Queen
  • Inheritance
  • Green Grass, Running Water
  • Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)
  • Sub Rosa
  • The Favorites
  • The Fourteen Sisters of Emilio Montez O'Brien
  • The Straight Mind: And Other Essays
  • Boys Like Her: Transfictions
  • Half-Breed
Sky Lee (born September 15, 1952 in Port Alberni, British Columbia) is a Canadian artist and novelist. Lee has published both feminist fiction and non-fiction and identifies as lesbian.

Lee was first published as the illustrator of 1983's children's book, Teach Me to Fly, Skyfighter! by Paul Yee. The book is a collection of four stories exploring what it is like to grow up as a Chinese-Canadian in...more
More about Sky Lee...