Start by marking “What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)” as Want to Read:
What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)

What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue #4)

The year 1940 is a very big year for Tomie-it's the start of first grade, and it's his first birthday in the new house at 26 Fairmount Avenue. It's also the first year that Tomie gets to go trick-or-treating with his older brother, Buddy. Then the holidays arrive, and Tomie has a part in the Christmas play. This Christmas is going to be great! But disaster strikes when ...more
Published July 23rd 2003 by Puffin Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What a Year!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Year!

Patricia
Apr 01, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
This is the fourth installment in the 26 Fairmount Avenue series. In this book Tomie turned 6 years old with a party at school. I love all of the details he remembers and recounts about his birthday. His family showered him with love and attention. The first four chapters are all about his birthday. Tomie's birthday is September 15th. (He turns 80 this year!) The rest of the book recounted Halloween (he dressed up as Snow White that year, and his brother, Buddy, went as the Wicked Witch), ...more
Josiah
Mar 01, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok
This is wonderful, wonderful stuff here! I hope that no one is missing out on these fantastically charming stories of Tomie dePaola's because they dismiss the books out of hand for their brevity. Rarely have I come across stories that contained such delightful charm at every turn the way that the 26 Fairmount Avenue books do.

What a Year takes us through the remainder of Tomie's adventurous year of 1940, when his family has moved into a new house and his new baby sister become frighteningly ill
Luann
Oct 31, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it
In this fourth book in Tomie dePaola's autiobiographical series, young Tomie is in first grade. For his birthday he gets to have a party at school. I remember how important birthdays were in first grade! My teacher had a birthday song on a record that the class listened to every time it was someone's birthday. The birthday student got to choose one friend to stand with them and watch the record spin round as it played. Although I don't remember getting to watch the record on my birthday. I ...more
Jimmy
Jan 06, 2009 Jimmy rated it liked it
Shelves: lagi-dipinjam
Ini buku ketemu di tumpukan buku-buku bekas Pasar Senen.

When Tomie’s age turned to six, he experienced many wonderful things in a year. And, he wrote those wonderful things on his very own new diary, given by his grandmother as a Christmas present.

Here is what Tomie wrote:

December 31, 1940 NEW YEAR’S EVE

Dear Diary,

Here are some important things that happened this year.
Moving into the new house
My baby sister Maureen is born
Maureen going to the hospital, but getting better
Dancing in Miss Leah’s
Doreen
Oct 19, 2010 Doreen rated it it was amazing
Tomie gets to have his sixth birthday party at school, the Friday before his actual birthday. He has a fun surprise birthday party on Sunday, at Nana's in Wallingford. The book includes his and Buddy's Halloween trick-or-treating, as well as Christmas and New Year's Eve.

It's fun how Tomie makes out his 'three' Christmas lists...one for gifts he will give, one for gifts he would like from family, and one specifically for Santa! AND...Tomie being Tomie, you just KNOW that he tries to stay awake t
Melissa
Oct 13, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I love this sweet memoir of one of our favorite authors. He is close to my dad's age, so it was fun to read aloud with my children and think about our grandpap. It was especially nice to read with Anthony as the character in the book celebrates his sixth birthday,and Anthony is just about to celebrate his. We all agreed we'd like to read the others in the series.
Hailey White
Jan 10, 2015 Hailey White rated it really liked it
Today we finished books 1-4 on audiobook! The author reading his own childhood biography was tremendous, and he knows exactly the details that children want to hear about. My children (8,5,4,2) were disappointed when it was over. Derek and I equally enjoyed this series and would read it again.
Amber Graves
Nov 22, 2013 Amber Graves rated it liked it
This would be a good book to get an idea of different cultures and to see examples of what some people do for traditions. Throughout the book, Tomie is highlighting the big events of one of his childhood years. Therefore it tells his family's traditions and customs. He had received a journal at the end of that year and so these events were written for him since he was a child.
Katie Fitzgerald
Would make an excellent classroom or homeschool read-aloud about Fall/Winter holiday celebrations. Reviewed on my blog: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Deirdre
Jun 12, 2013 Deirdre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The series continues as enjoyable as ever! Who knew that Tomie dePaola was as talented an actor/reader as an author/illustrator? Delightful!
Joy
Apr 02, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
Poor Tomie got chicken pox. And he'd had them before. I felt so sorry for him. This book covered the events leading toward Christmas.
Brenda Pierce McGuigan
Brenda Pierce McGuigan rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Cassandra Hetherington
Cassandra Hetherington rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Kay Leslie
Kay Leslie rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2009
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2009
Pearl
Pearl rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2008
Raven Black
Raven Black rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Ellyn
Ellyn rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2010
Kathleen
Apr 12, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2002
Tomie's amazing family story.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse
  • Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann, Queen of Magic
  • Ben Franklin's Almanac: Being a True Account of the Good Gentleman's Life
  • Action Jackson
  • Small Wonders: Jean-Henri Fabre and His World of Insects
  • The Christmas Doll
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Breakthrough!: How Three People Saved "Blue Babies" and Changed Medicine Forever
  • All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Polar: The Titanic Bear
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

26 Fairmount Avenue (8 books)
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • I'm Still Scared: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #6)
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • For the Duration: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #8)