Start by marking “Wish You Were Here” as Want to Read:
Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  599 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
This is a classic romantic story of star-crossed lovers who just can't seem to avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A very young Beth and Jack met, fell passionately in love and had a whirlwind engagement several years ago in Corsica. But when they got back to the reality of their everyday lives in the UK, Jack mysteriously ended their relationship and Beth was
Published June 14th 2007 by Little Black Dress

To ask other readers questions about Wish You Were Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish You Were Here

Lady Heather

3 Stars

I liked this story, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't 'love it'.
The writing and story were really good, but I had a hard time connnecting with the characters.
Kate
Jun 21, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: asdf
The story had such great potential in the beginning, but the author failed to push the novel to the next level. Everything was safe, there was too much dialog, too much in depth office-related goings on and there were several editing mistakes.

I would have liked the author to have abided by the rule "Show, Don't Tell." Jack had all this mysterious history surrounding him and only once did the author allude to the truth of it. I wish that more and more of his history had been revealed slowly throu
Jinky
Aug 03, 2011 Jinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, won
It was the last third of the book that rocked for me! I was swept away with the love story. The sensual tension between Beth and Jack was intense. I found myself characterizing Jack as debonair. Heck, I'd take him back!! That's how good the teasing was presented. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the "will they get back together" scenario played out as foreplay. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this fits the erotic genre. Not at all. Merely, a chick lit that made me want to cheer ...more
Chanpreet
Jun 06, 2011 Chanpreet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been eagerly looking froward to the release of Phillipa Ashley's book here in the US. I made myself wait and not devour it when it arrived.

I love the premise of lovers being reunited. Beth and Jack met 8 years ago on a trek in Corsica and fell madly in love. Jack proposed and Beth accepted. Then Jack disappeared without a word and left Beth behind heartbroken. Now Beth has re-entered Jack's life and both dance wearily around the other trying to upset the delicate balance between them.

I fe
Kim
May 20, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, kindle, net-galley, 2015
I really enjoyed this one on a recent camping trip.

Reread 19th May 2015
This is an ideal holiday read- pack it in your suitcase now! I can just imagine losing myself in this one on the beach with the sun shining down and imagining exotic corners of the world!
Beth and Jack met eight years ago and fell in love in Corsica. A whirlwind engagement followed- but when they got back to the UK Jack disappeared without trace leaving Beth very sad.
She is now engaged again and ends up working for Jack’s comp
Paula  Phillips
May 23, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Paula Phillips am a self-proclaimed lover of Chick Lit Books and I adore the books published by the company "Little Black Dress" for three simple reasons. They are easy-to-read , the stories are romantic and can keep you on edge as you know the way you want it to turn out but everytime you turn the page thinking this will be the moment something else happens and you sit there going will they ever find the right moment and when they do find that perfect moment , it's a special moment. The third ...more
Dori
Jan 13, 2013 Dori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing you have to know about this book is that you have to accept it for what it is and more importantly for what it is not before you even begin to read it. This story is not a "sweeping generational family saga." It is not a "Nail biting on the edge of your seat legal thriller." Nor is it a "love story for the ages" This book is not "The Paris Wife" or "Defending Jacob" or "Memoirs of a Geisha" What it is, however is a light simple modern romance story. When you know that and read it ...more
BecksBookPicks
Jun 24, 2011 BecksBookPicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious! I don't get to read chick-lit as much as I used too and I really enjoyed getting in touch with this genre again. Jack and Beth were both fun characters. Jack being the "Big Bad Scary Boss", when you meet him as a reader he just seems so mellow.

When you start the book you know where its going of coarse. Beth is almost engaged to a man named Marcus who would like her to just be a stay at home wife, while Beth has other ideas. She wants to see the world. She just can't in
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Beth’s father has had a stroke and her little sister is still in school, so Beth needs to find a job to help with expenses. But she never expected to work for Jack!

Ms. Ashley’s main female character is Beth, a strong young woman who is facing a lot of challenges at home and in her personal life. Beth is vulnerable, ready to find a man to settle down with but not satisfied with the one who wants her, and quite formidable at work.

The main male character is Jack, who is good looking and in great
Felicia (felso)
Jun 03, 2011 Felicia (felso) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, i-own
I enjoy Phillipa Ashley's stories so much I have the UK edition, US edition and it's also on my Kindle. Fun books to read and re-read over the weekend or in summer.

Jack Thornfield and Beth Allen fell in love on holiday in Corsica, 8 years ago. Jack leaves without an explanation.

8 years later, Beth's father has a serious accident and Beth leaves her job to help him, the family business and her sister. Beth then finds it necessary to take an exciting new job in London to help her sister through
Irene
Jul 26, 2015 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Beth already knew each other before she turned up for an interview at his travel company. He had left her high and dry with a broken heart so she wasn't too pleased to see him again. Of course that soon changed. Definitely a holiday read - easy, light and entertaining. Book provided by publisher and Netgalley.
Carol W
May 19, 2011 Carol W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth travels to London for an important interview for a job, when she finds herself in the office of the man who dumped her 8 years earlier and finds out he is the CEO, and about to interview her for the position.

She is an adult, it was a long time ago, and she can put the past behind her. She wants no favours and is happy to keep things on a strictly professional basis with Jack when she gets the position.

Set in London, the story takes Beth and Jack off to Corsica to check out a new holiday pac
Jin
Jul 29, 2015 Jin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, netgalley
Thanks for the Netgalley for my copy.

Jack Thronfield is CEO of Big Outdoor and looking for a head of marketing. His PA recommends Beth Allen. They have a history together in Corsica. 8 years ago, Jack promised to call but he never called and she never have forgotten about that.
Beth Allen comes back to London for an interview without knowing Jack was interviewing her. She didn't realize how upset she was when she saw him again. She runs out. Feeling the regret, she went back for her interview a
Jenifer (JensCorner)
Phillipa Ashley is a wonderful romance storyteller. You connect with her characters, and find yourself routing for them. She weaves a story you are pulled into, and they are magical. In Wish You Were Here, she does so well what she always has. She makes you fall in love with her characters as they fall in love with each other.

Jack Thornfield runs a company called Big Outdoors. They don't offer your average vacation get away. However, if you want to white water raft on your vacation, they have yo
Michelle
Jul 21, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was my first book by this author, attracted by the (kindle) cover, description and accompanying glowing readers remarks I settled down for a good read.

I liked the way the story started with Jack not Beth so showing his vulnerabilities as well as hers instead of casting him the standard macho male. Unfortunately despite this being a nice book I came away feeling a little disappointed.

Whilst I thought this was a new recently released kindle title I was mistaken, the original paperback was f
Kristen
I got this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This one just did not connect with me. I found the style of writing slightly choppy, but the characters were hard to root for. I am not a huge fan of stories based on deceptions, no matter how minor, and this one has one at it's key. If that trope does not bother you, then this can be a lovely second-chance story.

Jack and Beth met years ago on a sexy Corsican holiday but were separated quickly after. When Beth rocks up for a job in
Kathryn
Oct 08, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this fun read, and managed to whiz through it in a couple of days. A perfect romance story!
Connie
Beth and Jack met eight years ago on an outdoor travel trip to Corsica, and the sparks flew between them. Now she's applying for a job, and he's her future boss in the travel company. This is a hot and humorous romance set in both London and beautiful Corsica.
Jenn
Feb 17, 2016 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, two, romance
Beth went on a trip to Corsica and fell in love with her trek guide, Jack, and before the trip was over they ended up engaged. When they returned to their everyday lives in the UK, Jack ended their relationship and Beth was left without an explanation and a broken heart. Now, many years later, by sheer coincidence Beth ends up applying for a temporary job at Jack's company. Before her six months are up she finally learns what led Jack to do what he did all those years ago.

This is a quick and eas
Jill Fox
Jul 28, 2011 Jill Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really and truely enjoyed this book.

Loved both the main characters.

I love a book that keeps you on your toes, the will they, won't they always gets me and this didn't disappoint.
I Love Romantic Fiction blog
What you might like: it's a pleasant read. Set in London and the Lake District. You won't find any villains in this story. It all kind of ambled along. This is an early work from the author and it's clear she was still finding her style.
Beth Allen and Jack Thornton have a history that goes way back - it's worth sticking with it to hear the back story. They're likeable characters and it's a romantic and sexy (not smutty) read.
What's missing? The editing on my copy - hopefully that will be rectifi
Simera
Jul 02, 2015 Simera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Phillipa Ashley's story and it was very enjoyable.

Jack Thornfield and Beth Allen fell in love on holiday in Corsica, 8 years ago. As expected things didn't work out.

8 years later, Beth's father has a serious accident and she leaves her job to help him, and her sister. Beth then finds the job she is after happens to be with Jack's company in London. Needless to say that things don't go as planned on the first day of interviewing with old memories and feelings getting in the way.
Jessy
Wish You Were Here is a romantically beautiful story that mentions how to people meet and hit off right and powerfully intense, until the man disappeared without a trace. Eight years later Beth Allen has busily moved on with her life without the man who stole her heart all those years ago. Beth’s life is demanding and somewhat complicated but little did she know that fate was going to bring her back face-to-face with the man who disappeared on her. Applying for a job only to find out that Jack T ...more
Kareby
Jun 11, 2011 Kareby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
The perfect beach read! Unfortunately, I'll have to make do with the sand colored carpeting! Can't wait for FEVER CURE!
Sharon Redfern
May 23, 2015 Sharon Redfern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story of a couple finding love again for a second time. When Jack broke Beth's heart years ago, she never really got over it. Imagine her feelings when she discovers that the new job she is applying for is in a travel company where Jack is the new CEO. After initially declining the interview with Jack, Beth changes her mind and ends up with the job. After all it's only for 6 months and she can guard her heart for that long, right?
This was a nice telling of two people who ne
Elizabeth
Reviewed for NetGalley:

This book was okay. I didn't really care for the hero he seemed kind of arrogant and rude. I didn't care for how he treated the heroine in the beginning, and I don't think he made up for it later. I also think that some of his behavior at work would be considered sexual harassment, and I don't like reading about that in my romances. (So, that's just a personal tick for me, not really the author's fault). I also thought that how they described his last relationship was lack
Halyna
Dec 20, 2011 Halyna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, romantic book with travelling bent. Reading for pleasure.
Hamdah
Apr 08, 2010 Hamdah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice one, I loved the cover and the title! I bought it and it worths the buy!
Leah
Jan 09, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a delightful read.
3alaiyah
romantic series !
  • More Than Love Letters
  • Catriona
  • Making Waves
  • Lord of the Black Isle (Black Douglas #3)
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • Just One Season in London
  • Silver-Tongued Devil
  • Utterly Charming (Fates, #1)
  • Fires of Winter (Tales of Jernaeve, #2)
  • Mr. Darcy's Bite (Darcy Bites #1)
  • Jesse  (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #3)
  • Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3)
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • One Fine Cowboy
  • A Gentleman Says "I Do" (The Rogues' Dynasty, #5)
  • How Sweet It is
  • Scrumptious (Sexy Chefs, #1)
  • Swept off Her Feet
419233
Phillipa Ashley is an award-winning romantic novelist published by Avon, Penguin, Headline and Piatkus as well as numerous international publishers.

Her latest release is Summer at the Cornish Cafe - book 1 in the Penwith series - published by Avon on May 5th 2016.

After studying English at Oxford, she worked as a copywriter and journalist before writing her debut novel, Decent Exposure, which won
More about Phillipa Ashley...