Start by marking “Zigazak!: A Magical Hanukkah Night” as Want to Read:
Zigazak!: A Magical Hanukkah Night

Zigazak!: A Magical Hanukkah Night

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
“The most imaginative Hannukah tale of the season.”—Publishers Weekly

On the first night of Hanukkah, two tricky devils arrive in the town of Brisk to cause mischief. They use a magic word — Zigazak! — to make dreidels dance and latkes fly. The good citizens of Brisk panic and appeal to their wise rabbi for help. He triumphs over the devils in a contest of wits, and soon se
Published September 25th 2001 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Zigazak!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zigazak!

Amy
Nov 14, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Two and a half to three stars for Zigazak. I thought the story was pretty entertaining, and it had a nice message and good pictures. I think my niece enjoyed it, too. She giggled a little at the rabbi's cunning, and seemed to think that it was a creative story. My nephew, however, didn't like the book for some reason. He even asked me to stop reading it part way through. We did finish it (my niece and I were enjoying it, after all), but he'd have preferred otherwise.
Katherine
Jun 17, 2015 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
Zigazak by Eric Kimmel is a delightful Hanukkah story that is imbued with lightheartedness and wisdom. One Hanukkah night, two devils decide to stir up some mischief in a peaceful little town. They enchant some dreidels so that they spout arms and legs and begin to dance. They send delicious latkes flying haphazardly through the air, create fireworks from candles, and shower the citizens with enchanted gelt. The citizens of the town are quite frightened by the devils’ magic, and turn to the Rabb ...more
Kim
Nov 30, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-children
If you are looking for a fantastic children's tale of Hanukkah mischief and excitement, go no further. If you want to read a story about the goodness in every thing, you can stop right here, too. Kimmel does it again with another great, can't-put-it-down story, and the illustrations are outstanding.
Melanie
Two devils think it's hilarious to scare people around the holidays. They take turns frightening the people of Brisk during Hanukkah. They cause dreidels to come alive with arms and legs. Latkes go flying through a house. A cat sprouts wings and begins to chase the dog. Menorah candles explode. Everyone runs to the Rabbi of Brisk, convinced only he can save them. The Rabbi invites the devils into his home and mentions that they forgot Hanukkah gelt, and that they probably can't do it anyway. Wel ...more
NarcissusTea
"I got this book partly to balance out the Christmas books in our library. We're not religious, and in North America Christianity is ""the norm"". We celebrate a secular Christmas (for lack of a better word - Santa day?). I feel that my kids should learn about lots of different religions.[return][return]The other reason I picked it up was for the illustrations. I'm a sucker for great children's book illustrations! The little demons are very well done. My kids really enjoy seeing each shape the d ...more
Cara Stone
Two devils fly about the town of Brisk during Hanukkah-time, creating mischief wherever they go. The townspeople run to the Rabbi , who tricks the devils into using their magic to cause gelt to fall from the sky, and the Rabbi explains to all that nothing is completely wicked; there is good in everything. Together the town celebrates Hanukkah. Good for story time. Image composition is dark, detailed and includes aspects of fantasy. Characters are expressive and detailed.
Sharon Medina
Sep 12, 2013 Sharon Medina rated it really liked it
Two devils appeared one night during Hanukkah and stirred up evil within the small town. Everyone in the town was afraid except for the Rabbi. He was not afraid and triumphs over evil; he is able to defeat the devils and find the good in all things, even the devils.

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Suggested ages: 6 to 10 years old
Finny
Nov 30, 2010 Finny rated it it was amazing
Mommy says: If you are looking for a fantastic tale of Hanukkah mischief and magic, go no further. If you want to read story about the goodness in every thing, you can stop right here, too. Kimmel does it again with another great story, and the illustrations are outstanding.
Erin
Celebrated Hanukkah with third graders by reading this book and then playing dreidel. Devils decide to make trouble for a small town on the first night of Hanukkah, but the town's rabbi turns their mischief into joyful magic.
Linnae
Linnae added it
Jan 01, 2016
Irene Carracher Kistler
Irene Carracher Kistler rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
[Name Redacted]
[Name Redacted] marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Lauren
Lauren added it
Apr 07, 2015
Carrie Bergantino
Carrie Bergantino rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Abi
Abi rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Sage
Sage rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Simon Brooks
Simon Brooks rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Jinny
Jinny added it
Sep 13, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Alla
Alla rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2013
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Marija
Marija rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel...