Start by marking “A Redwall Winter's Tale” as Want to Read:
A Redwall Winter's Tale

A Redwall Winter's Tale (Redwall)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,180 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A troupe of traveling players have promised the Redwallers an evening of entertainment in exchange for a grand feast. Late at night after the festivities have ended, Mighty Bulbrock Badger sends the little ones off to sleep with the tale of the giant Snow Badger who comes on the first night of winter, bringing snow across the land. The grown-up Redwallers chuckle at the fa ...more
Published October 21st 2004 by Puffin (first published September 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Redwall Winter's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Redwall Winter's Tale

X
Dec 01, 2008 X rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Redwallers, though it's a nice story for anyone.
A cute wintery story set at Redwall. While the characters are the same as from Redwall, it would not be required to have read that first. The story stands alone quite well. At first the alternating prose and poetry was odd, but by the end I had gotten used to it and enjoyed the switch back and forth. The illustrations are darling!
Akirain
Apr 11, 2013 Akirain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Brian Jacques, so I automatically enjoy anything that has to do with Redwall.
The cover art is beautiful, simple and atmospheric. I still remember how it caught my eye amongst many many other beautifully illustrated covers in the bookshop. One doesn’t have to read the Redwall series to understand the “Winter’s tale”, but knowing the background story certainly adds something special to the experience. The most amazing part of the book for me was the artwork – I had finally glimpsed at how
CuteBadger
Feb 19, 2012 CuteBadger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this in Poundland as the cover illustration of a badger caught my eye - you can probably tell from my username that I'm a touch obsessed with badgers!

What a treat this book is - beautiful colour illustrations and a timeless tale of native British animals preparing for winter with a feast and strolling players. The Snow Badger brings the winter weather, but not everyone believes in him, until one lucky little mole gets a big surprise.

I'd never heard of the Redwall books before, but you d
Mackenzie Hunter
This is a precious book that will appeal to lifelong fans of Brian Jacques' Redwall series as well as those who are just discovering it. bedtime The mix of prose and poetry works well together, and the illustrations are marvelous. It's a great story to read at bedtime to make you feel all comfy and cozy and ready for sleep.
Joseph Leskey
May 18, 2017 Joseph Leskey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oh, anybody, maybe, though probably not
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, humor
This was good. I wasn't sure if it was rhyming or simply being a work of prose, but I enjoyed it whichever which way.
Steph
Feb 24, 2017 Steph rated it really liked it
such a cute novella from the Redwall series for children.
Tyler
Dec 21, 2011 Tyler rated it really liked it
I love Brian Jacques. This is a delightful long poem of the final day of autumn and the first day of winter. Jacques does such a great job with his characterization. Each one of his animals is drawn with loving care, infusing his world with a life that I just want to sink into. I think that the short form is his true calling, as Redwall was just a bit too long. Still, his characters were as memorable in the first book as they are now.

If you like this, read The Great Redwall Feast.
Jace Morgan
May 25, 2014 Jace Morgan rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was young, and a few months ago I found it again at a used bookstore. Immediately I bought it, remembering the fondness I'd had for it, and all of the Redwall books. As I read it, enjoying the beautiful illustrations and the comforting prose, it as as though I had been transformed into a child again - nothing but wonder and excitement ahead. In the end I gave the book to my friend's child, a little girl who enjoyed reading just as much as I did when I was her age. I think ...more
☺Trish
Jan 22, 2014 ☺Trish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A truly delightful story by Brian Jacques, enchantingly enhanced by Christopher Denise's beautiful illustrations. I especially enjoyed the rhyming verse scattered throughout A Redwall Winter's Tale.
One Autumn night (actually, Autumn's final night) in Redwall Abbey, after enjoying an exciting evening of entertainment performed by the Traveling Thistledown Troupe and devouring a grand feast, Mighty Bulbrock Badger tells the Abbey's little children a bedtime story about the legend of the Snow Badge
Logan
Logan was too high-energy to look too carefully at the pretty illustrations. He might have liked it more if he had. It felt awkward to go back and forth between prose and rhyme. I was careful to read the rhymes in a non-rhythmic voice because these kind of super-rhymie poetry bores him. He did like the idea of the Badger bringing winter and the snow starting out as white hares and turns into flakes. Apparently, this introduces the themes of Redwall, although we haven't read those books yet.
Julie
Sep 02, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
It's been years since I read any Redwall, and this sort of made me want to pick one up again. This book might be a good intro to determine if someone wanted to try a full novel, considering it has most of the main elements: feasts, extensive and varied animal dialects, and a bit of a folklore element.
Julianna
Sep 07, 2016 Julianna rated it really liked it
I have been looking for more chapter book style stories to read to my 2 year old, and this had the perfect balance of text and picture to hold her attention and mine. Plus, I was excited to introduce her to characters that I spent so much time with when I was a child. The illustrations were lovely and the story was simple and sweet.
MissInformation
Dec 01, 2007 MissInformation rated it it was amazing
Not religious, just a celebration of winter. A charming intro to Redwall, with lots of illustration and a warm and fuzzy story suitable for younger readers than the Redwall series. Among other events, little animals are told the myth of the Snow Badger to put them to sleep, but one little guy waits up to see if he might be real.... Belief is rewarded.
Honya
A Redwall Winter’s Tale is classic Brian Jacques, but boiled down to suit a younger audience. You can feel his love of children throughout the story. The tale and characters are warm, simple, and inviting. Moreover, Christopher Denise’s art is a beautiful complement to the writing style. Altogether, this is a delightful picture book for both children and older readers.
Piepie Beuttel
Sep 10, 2013 Piepie Beuttel rated it it was amazing
Such a magical, sweet story from within Redwall! The illustrations by Christopher Denise are just beautiful, and the stories and rhyming lines are superb. Of course, the descriptions of the banquets are just as mouth-watering as they are in the longer novels themselves. This is the perfect addition to any Redwall fan's collection, young and old :)
Joshua7d
Mar 06, 2008 Joshua7d marked it as to-read
I learn how hard it is to live in the cold it's harder than living in the hot weather because most animals live in the hot weather so it's hard to get food. so i learn it's hard to live in the winter.
Stephanie
Jun 09, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I loved it and I plan on reading it again once the seasons change. It remainded me of Tolkien on a small level and Narnia on another. But the artwork is aaaaaamazing. Christopher Denise is a great illustrator.
Skylar Burris
Nov 13, 2009 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Too boring for my daughter to want to finish it...no fighting in the first ten pages. Even I was bored.
Elaine
Nov 11, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I love the Redwall series. This is one of the sweetest ones of all of them.
Bmankiewicz
Jan 23, 2012 Bmankiewicz rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
The illustrations are cute but there could be more plot.
Sella Malin
Feb 18, 2008 Sella Malin marked it as to-read
my friend said that I have to read this series...
Mark Penzkover
Sep 07, 2010 Mark Penzkover rated it liked it
Read aloud to Kenneth
Dameon Manuel
Sep 11, 2010 Dameon Manuel rated it it was amazing
read this years ago, wonderful illustrations!
Amy
Feb 22, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
The art work in this book is wonderful!
Kipahni
Dec 30, 2012 Kipahni rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Great short tale for young kiddies
Emily
Nov 19, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
A great tale for "young'uns"! It introduces kids to one of Redwall's important themes.
Feb 24, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Wonderful story!
Susie Steadman
Nov 19, 2012 Susie Steadman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable book for young readers.
Beckyt
Oct 22, 2011 Beckyt rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet story with gorgeous illustrations.
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • Dinotopia Lost
  • It's Spring!
  • It's My Birthday
  • Friends
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • Arthur and the Invisibles
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Redwall (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)