Start by marking “The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life’s Final Chapter” as Want to Read:

In gentle, compassionate language, The Needs of the Dying helps us through the last chapter of our lives. Author David Kessler has identified key areas of concern: the need to be treated as a living human being, the need for hope, the need to express emotions, the need to participate in care, the need for honesty, the need for spirituality, and the need to be free of physi ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Harper Perennial (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Needs of the Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Needs of the Dying

Paula
May 07, 2008 Paula rated it really liked it
Excellent book giving practical instructions on how to deal with a loved one who is terminally ill or dying. Makes uncomfortable subjects very warm and approachable.
Michale
Feb 12, 2014 Michale rated it liked it
Shelves: or-not-to-be
This book was an exercise in frustration. For example: when Kessler changed the original title of his book from The Rights of the Dying to The Needs of the Dying, he did not edit appropriately. So his text now reads that every patient has the "need" not to die alone. I agree that every patient has the right not to die alone, but the need? How many of us have seen patients who will not die in front of family members, but wait until they are alone to slip away? Kessler even recounts one of these s ...more
Pam
Jan 17, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing
WOW can't put this book down. David Kessler and Dr.Kubler-Ross have the answers to your questions about death and dying and how to help the dying. I recommend this book to everyone!
Megan Uy
Aug 01, 2015 Megan Uy rated it really liked it
This book gives excellent advice on preparing for death, your own or that of a loved one. It describes new ways of thinking (to me, anyway) about death and the kinds of comfort we may need. I had never given much thought to the pain that often accompanies dying and his approach to palliative care was eye-opening. However, now that I've attended his conference and read two of his books, I'm well-aware of how much of his own material he recycles. I can forgive him that, but it's pretty much my onl ...more
Rhonda
Jul 17, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
This a great book for anyone who is experiencing the end of the life of a loved one. It offers advice, explains the process of dying, and the author's experience with his many clients touches your heart.

Death is the end cycle of Life, something most of us don't talk about, or think about until it smacks us in the face. He talks of the stages of grief and the oh, so important message of dignity, and talking, and the simple gesture of simply holding hands.
Lesley
Sep 20, 2010 Lesley rated it really liked it
I recommend this book for all human beings. Give some thought to dying. Being with someone who is dying really is the most important thing you are ever going to do. You'll never be "prepared." But this book will give you insights on how to live-- the value of openness, honesty, emotional expression, trust and courage. And if you heed its lessons, now, in life, you will have no regrets when someone you love dies.
Laurie Rapp
Jan 15, 2010 Laurie Rapp rated it liked it
I read it and learned. Learned about a most important area of life that we as a society rarely converse about. Told in a manner that was honest and often times, light. If anyone is undergoing a time with a loved one that has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, this book will come in handy.
Stacey
Jan 10, 2013 Stacey added it
A wonderful book you will not want to miss if you have a death or illness in your life. It is transformative and necessary and beautiful.
Carhy
Carhy rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Therese M. Zocchi
Therese M. Zocchi rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Lydia R. Perez
Lydia R. Perez rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2008
Tess Olson
Tess Olson rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2015
lbj
lbj rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
John Charles
John Charles rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Kathleen Willoughby
Kathleen Willoughby rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2009
Lorraine A Wormald
Lorraine A Wormald rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Janet Randall
Janet Randall rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
Barbara Haskin
Barbara Haskin rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Yolanda Fulton
Yolanda Fulton rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2013
Elin Riley-weiss
Elin Riley-weiss rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
Lcoliver
Lcoliver rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Brantlea
Brantlea rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2010
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Erin Rhatigan
Erin Rhatigan rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Margie
Margie rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2008
Becky Ahlstrom
Becky Ahlstrom rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Angela Campbell
Angela Campbell rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Final Gifts
  • Difficult Personalities: A Practical Guide to Managing the Hurtful Behavior of Others (and Maybe Your Own)
  • Perfect Phrases for Dealing with Difficult People: Hundreds of Ready-to-Use Phrases for Handling Conflict, Confrontations and Challenging Personalities
  • How to Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
  • Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World
  • The Right Words at the Right Time
  • Spiritual Emergency: When Personal Transformation Becomes Crisis
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Conjoint Family Therapy
  • The Grace in Dying: A Message of Hope, Comfort and Spiritual Transformation
  • Experiencing Grief
  • Life Lessons: Two Experts on Death and Dying Teach Us About the Mysteries of Life and Living
  • Mother Night: Myths, Stories, And Teachings For Learning To See In The Dark
  • Riding the Dragon: 10 Lessons for Inner Strength in Challenging Times
  • The Unwritten Rules of Baseball: The Etiquette, Conventional Wisdom, and Axiomatic Codes of Our National Pastime
  • The Inner History of Devices
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

David Kessler is a writer of thrillers and other novels.

David Kessler is a hospice expert who writes on death and dying.

David A. Kessler is the name of an academic and governmental administrator who authored books on health care with respect to tobacco, overeating and elder care.
More about David Kessler...