Start by marking “Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)

Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  5,082 Ratings  ·  371 Reviews
Rupert Carsington, fourth son of the Earl of Hargate, is his aristocratic family's favourite disaster. He is irresistibly handsome and irretrievably irresponsible. Wherever he goes, trouble follows. Still, Rupert's never met an entanglement - emotional or other - he couldn't escape.

Only now he's a prisoner in Cairo's most infamous prison, and his only way out is accepting
Published January 4th 2006 by Piatkus (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Impossible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Impossible

Ingela
Review written August 20, 2016

4.4 Stars - Yay, this was a very amusing audiobook listening. I just adored these lovely witty (and sassy?) lovebirds. My very favorite kind of lighthearted (but still lovely romantic) suspenseful historical.

Once again time for me to get my greedy hands on a Loretta Chase historical. This time the 11:48 hours Mr. Impossible, the second audiobook edition in the Carsington Brothers series narrated by Kate Reading.

Book #2 Mr. Impossible was a absolutely perfect car dr
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Beanbag Love
This was a very fun historical romance set in an "exotic" location (Egypt), with charming and adventurous characters. The second book in the Carsington Brothers series, Mr. Impossible is about Rupert Carsington, the reckless fourth son of the powerful Earl of Hargate.

Here's what we learn about Rupert in the first pages of the book:

In the month and a half since the Earl of Hargate’s fourth son had arrived in Egypt, he had broken twenty-three separate laws and been jailed nine times. For what Mr.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sometimes after a lot of time spent in fantasy I need something just full of cotton candy fluff and usually Historical Romance is that for me. Mr. Impossible definitely fit the bill and was exactly what I needed.

It was a fun blend of funny and clever mixed with far away places in a far away time. It was like The Mummy meets a Jane Austin Novel. Rupert as a hero was so much fun and his teasing with Daphne is adorable.
“That man," she said in low but still audible tones, "is an idiot."
"Yes, madam,
Rane
This was such a fun and delightful read it had me laughing till my sides hurt!

Rupert wasn't a tragic hero (!!!) wasn't someone who had any hardships (!!!) what he is, is a loveable dork with a carefree, laid-back attitude with a sly sense of humor that would have anyone either shaking their heads or laughing along with him.
Although he makes everyone assume he has nothing in his head, he surprises everyone and even himself with his insight on people and matters, but always has time for a good
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

When it comes to romantic adventures, Mr. Impossible is an extremely fun romp showing what happens when you move some typical Regency-fare into an "archaeological" Egypt setting and you do it right. In the same niche up on par with Connie Brockway's As You Desire and its sequel The Other Guy's Bride (my favourite), it features two intelligent and charming leads and Chase trademark wit and flawless prose. Rupert and Daphne, the brawn and the brain, though there's a lot more to them, and their siz
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
My faith in Loretta Chase was firmly restored with this book. It was a grand adventure with an unforgettable hero and a strong, independent, intelligent heroine, and it was set in Egypt. I do love adventure romances with exotic settings. The dialogue sparkles, as Rupert always knows the most outrageous things to say to shock Daphne. He comes off as being a loser, but he's a very sharp, resourceful guy, and he comes to Daphne's aid multiple times. In fact, he is just what Daphne needs as she is s ...more
Natalie
Nov 28, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-fun
This is the best romance novel I have ever read.

So this is a review I wrote elsewhere and I think it's amusing so I'm cutting & pasting it here.

Okay, my favoritest favorite favorite romance novel right now is Loretta Chase’s Mr. Impossible. It is GEEEEEENIUS. Daphne is a brilliant hieroglyphics scholar and she married an old dude b/c he totes promised her that she could continue to be a brilliant person. EXCEPT HE LIED AND WAS A JACKASS AND TRIED TO SQUISH HER SPIRIT. BOOOOOOOOOOOO. Then he
Quinn

I’m coming to the conclusion that there’s something about Loretta Chase’s writing that just doesn’t quite click with me. Despite all the attractions of this novel, and there are plenty, I found myself at times wondering when I would finish it so I could move on. I never do that with the novels that click with me – I’m too busy enjoying the ride.

Is she too heavy on the narration, or is the style of narration? I’m just not sure. I love her characters, I love the dialogue, so I figure it m
Jenny Rebecca
Mar 23, 2009 Jenny Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've owned this book for years and never read it. I'm not even certain how I got it! Last night I picked it up in my new love for Ms. Chase's writing. I loved it. I really enjoyed both characters and had a blast going with them on their journey. My favorite part that had me laughing so hard.

Page 163
"Good God!" she cried. She rolled off him, tugging down her clothing. "Are you mad?"

He blinked and dragged in air. "Well, yes," He said thickly. "Lust does that to a man."

"You thought we would--you wo
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
4.5 stars. Can I start with Daphne? Because Daphne is my freaking book BFF. I love her. Intelligent and brave. This book might be called 'Mr Impossible' but really Daphne is at its centre. This is her story and its just great. I love that Chase (as ever) created a multi-layered character. A women trapped by the strictures of the time in which she lived and shaped by the expectations of the men around her and not sure how to manage all of those contradictions. There was something very realistic a ...more
KatieV
I'm not 100% sure how to rate this one. I was sick with the flu through the first 3/4 and to be perfectly honest, I hated everything and everyone. Literally the only thing I liked were my cats and that's because they were very snuggly and warm while I lay heaped in blankets. I like to think they love me desperately, but I think they mostly liked that I was inanimate and very warm to lay on.

I really enjoyed that last 1/4 and I think that's probably a better reflection of my feelings on this, so I
Ruth
Oh, goodness me, I LOVED this book, and it's so hard to write the review, because I know I'm going to forget something.

It has everything I love: a great plot, some strong action, interesting setting, rounded secondary characters and a hero and heroine that I liked immediately.

The heroine is much smarter than any of the men in her life (although some of them are man enough to admit it), treated like an imbecile, which, of course, she's intelligent enough to use to her advantage most of the time,
Lady Wesley
I know this is one of LC's most popular books, but I didn't enjoy it as much as expected. Too much adventure, I expect, although the Egyptian setting does make things interesting. Rupert is absolutely adorable, though, and he and Daphne make a fun couple, once she loosens up a bit.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is will be short because so many wonderful things have already been said about this book.

It simply has everything;

• an irrepressible hero,

• a delightful heroine

• an enchanting love story,

• sparkling dialogue,

• plenty of action and adventure,

• devious villains

• a fabulous assortment of secondary characters

• a rich and fascinating setting

The billowing sand was welling up, like a whirlpool upside down. It grew into a great swirling pillar of sand, and it was racing towards them.

VERDICT –
Yolanda
3,75 casi 4
La verdad es que me lo he pasado muy bien leyéndolo. Ha sido una aventura por Egipto con Dafne y Rupert con la que me he reído mucho. Rupert tiene unos golpes que en algunos momentos me han hecho reír a carcajada limpia. La contención de Dafne, los comentarios de Leena, los de Tom y Miles fantasma.... que ratos de risa me han dado.

Lilia Ford
I admit I was very skeptical when I picked this up: the combination of “The Mummy” setting and a female scholar seemed fraught with peril of the wrong kind: strained, melodramatic plots, faux historical color, and an absurdly gorgeous woman with a pair of glasses meant to indicate she’s smart.

I was totally wrong: I loved it. More than loved it: it is one of my favorite romance novels ever, for all time. The combination of Rupert’s head-bashing and Daphne’s prickly bookishness is hilarious, warm
Emery Lee
May 13, 2010 Emery Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am already a HUGE fan of Loretta Chase (LORD OF SCOUNDRELS is one of my all time favorite HR novels), but MR. Impossible is something altogether different. I found this book to be a highly entertaining mix of action, adventure and romance.

Daphne Pembroke is a pedantic scholar of dead languages, determined to crack the code of the Egyptian Hieroglyphs, but working covertly under her brother's name. Rupert Carsington is a reckless scapegrace sent to Egypt by his family to work for the consulate
Summer
So far I don't seem to be having much luck with Loretta Chase novels. I loved the first half of 'Lord of Scoundrels' but I didn't care for the second half at all. I thought I'd give the author another chance and picked up Mr. Impossible since it had good reviews. The setting in Egypt sounded interesting and it's descriptions within are great. But then you get into the characters and writing and I wasn't impressed. The heroine was interesting in her love for linguistics but her personality didn't ...more
Cecilia
Aug 30, 2010 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, favourites
Very sweet and amusing romance. The hero is perceived by all (including himself) to be rather a lunkhead, but he is not stupid. Moreover, he is not threatened by or condescending to the enormous braininess of the heroine. Instead, he thinks she's a goddess - in the hot and dangerous way of all the best goddesses. Through the course of rescuing the heroine's brother and avoiding crazy artifact/treasure hunters, the hero and heroine both grow past the limits they thought they had, and fall in love ...more
Lady Wesley
This was another Carsington book that I rated at 3.5 stars, but listening to Kate Reading's performance is 5+ stars worth of fun. She has just the right tone for Rupert -- bored, dense, clueless, adorable, loyal, courageous -- and Daphne's exasperation with him is priceless. I'm still not crazy about all of the derring-do, but really, I can't complain.

All three Carsington books that I've listened to are five stars all the way!
Miriam
Jun 22, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
My favorite of the Carsington series. The kidnappers, treasure, Egyptology, etc made the plot much more active than most of stories. And I loved that the hero really was proud of his wife being so smart -- usually in romances the author tells you how smart the heroine is but she is actually an idiot and the man is smarter. In this case both of them were good at different things. And they were both nice, decent individuals, which is surprisingly rare in romance couples.
Caz
4.5 stars overall; 4 for content, 5 for narration.

Review to follow.
MRB
Jun 09, 2013 MRB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars, but rounded down to three because...well, because I expected so much more from this one. And because I'm cranky due to lack of caffeine. Oh, and because Goodreads hasn't yet allowed us the use of half-stars!)

I fully expected this to be a five-star read for me, one that I'd have to find room for on my shelf of top 20 all-time favorites. (A shelf which already contains far more than 20 books, of course, but let's ignore that!) And excessively high expectations can lead to inevitable di
Linda
Get ready for some adventure. Daphne Pembroke is a strong, smart, uber-rich woman of nine and twenty. She married an elderly man ten years earlier with the intention of pursuing her love of learning: all things about ancient Egypt. Unfortunately her husband treated like most other men; he believed thinking should be done by men. Several years go by, she keeps her thoughts to herself and then he dies leaving her more than comfortably secure.

Daphne loves her brother, Miles. He is basically the 'fr
Lindsay
Dec 01, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolute instant favorite. This was so utterly fantastic that I feel like anything I write about it will not be able to do it justice, so my review will be brief. This was simply perfection- fantastic H and h, action and adventure, ramped up romance, exotic Egyptian locale with lots of Egyptology references, funny moments, suspenseful moments, excellent witty dialogue....all wrapped up with an adorable mongoose. I can't even handle it. It was all the best parts of The Mummy but so much better wi ...more
Ang
Sep 04, 2015 Ang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Impossible is the 2nd book in the Carsington Family series and I loved it. Rupert Carsington was an adorable, endearing hero who didn't take himself too seriously and it was refreshing. No angst, no baggage, no doubts, no conceit and he seemed to live life in the present. He called himself a "dumb ox", but that wasn't it. He just wasn't super deep. He lived life as it came and he was in perfect contrast to the heroine, Daphne Pembroke, who was extremely intelligent in a world that does not r ...more
Nefise
Ms Chase is definitely my favorite historical romance author. I love to read her stories. When you start to read you can join her imaginary world and begin to live there with protagonists.

Although this book is not one of my favorites, it's entertaining and intriguing. Espicially I like to adventure in it. Even it's so good, IMO it overshadowed the romance. Last period of Ottoman Empire, ignorance, being colonial subjects are nicely handled and open a window for us to glance what's going on other
herdys
Dec 07, 2016 herdys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the series!

I really loved that it wasn't set in London or even England. It was so refreshing and it gave us lot of exciting scenes.

I do have to admit that while I enjoyed the romance, I was a little put off by Rupert's constant lusting after the heroine in the first few chapters. Thankfully it was made clear later that he also loved her mind and her passion about papyri and Egyptian culture.

You could read this one as a stand alone and not miss much, but it was nice t
Tiko
I LOOOOVED IT!!!! it was imply fantastic!!! Rupert wasn't your ordinary rake... he was the sweetest rake I've seen thus far :D it had a really interesting plot as well... full of adventures in Egypt... pyramids, assassins, kidnappers... and the humor... oh it was hilarious :D and romance... mmm... i loved every moment of it!!!
Ash
Jul 08, 2012 Ash rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Romanc...: This topic has been closed to new comments. BOTM July 16 to 31 - Mr. Impossible (Widower) 18 19 Jul 27, 2016 12:18PM
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • Untie My Heart
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Indiscreet
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • Not Quite a Husband
Loretta Lynda Chekani was born in 1949, of Albanian ancestry. For her, the trouble started when she learned to write in first grade. Before then, she had been making up her own stories but now she knew how to write them down to share. In her teenage years, she continue to write letters, keep a journal, write poetry and even attempt the Great American Novel (still unfinished). She attended New Engl ...more
More about Loretta Chase...

Carsington Brothers (5 books)
  • Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers, #1)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)

“I am not insane," he said. "A woman of your highly advanced intellect ought to be able to perceive that I am in love. With you. I wish you had told me. It was deuced embarrassing to find it out from your *brother*.” 22 likes
“Good God!" she cried. She rolled off him, tugging down her clothing. "Are you mad?"

"You thought we would--you would-- do...that in public?"

"I wasn't thinking about where we were." He said.

Her eyes widened.

"I'm a man," he said with what he was sure must be, in the circumstances, saintly patience. "I can do one or the other. Lovemaking or thinking. But not both at the same time."

She stared at him for a moment. Then she drew up her knees and folded her arms upon them and buried her face in her folded arms.

She did not pick up the rifle and knock him on the head with it.

Perhaps all was not lost.

"Somewhere else then?" He said hopefully.”
22 likes