Start by marking “Road to the Dales: The Story of a Yorkshire Lad” as Want to Read:
Road to the Dales: The Story of a Yorkshire Lad

Road to the Dales: The Story of a Yorkshire Lad

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Tells of a life full of happiness, conversation, music and books shared with the author's three siblings, mother and father. This book is a snapshot of growing up in Yorkshire in the 1950s - of school days and holidays as well as his tentative steps into the adult world.
Published March 1st 2010 by Michael Joseph (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Road to the Dales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road to the Dales

Thores-Cross by Karen PerkinsJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettPossession by A.S. Byatt
Yorkshire
78th out of 89 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Gervase tells of a life full of happiness, conversation, music and books shared with his three siblings, mother and father. This book is a snapshot of growing up in Yorkshire in the 1950s - reminisce with Gervase, and share in his personal journey - of school days and holidays as well as his tentative steps into the adult world. You can devour numerous uproarious stories including the incident involving a broken greenhouse, crashing his brother's newly restored bike as well as secrets about his ...more
Em
I confess, I looked at the cover at this book and I wasn't sure it would be a book for me but many people on GR have spoken highly about Gervase Phinn so I overlooked my first impression and I'm glad that I did.

I thought this was a charming memoir of childhood in the Yorkshire Dales - Gervase Phinn writes fondly of his parents, siblings, friends and teachers. He is eloquent on matters of education - the unfairness of the 11+ and grammar school system, the problem of bullying within schools, the
Danielle
I found this book mildly amusing. It's one of those books that have some very funny anecdotes and you are able to dip in and out without there being a plot or real storyline.

I've read all of the Dales series by Gervase and they are much more amusing (hilarious at times) and some of the stories from that series are replicated here.

I've also seen Gervase live. If you ever get the chance, go and see him. He is a better entertainer than writer, and he's not bad at the latter!
Aimee
Gervase Phinn is a delightful author and I very much loved his series. I will most certainly be buying his children's books for my children. Having enjoyed his books reading about him on a more personal level was lovely.
Crystelle
Crystelle marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
John Munro
John Munro marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Sally Cartwright
Sally Cartwright marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Kalyamka
Kalyamka marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Karen Clarke
Karen Clarke marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Other Side of the Dale Over Hill and Dale Head Over Heels in the Dales Up and Down in the Dales the Heart of the Dales