Start by marking “Classical Mythology: Images and Insights” as Want to Read:
Classical Mythology: Images and Insights

Classical Mythology: Images and Insights

Comprehensive and beautifully illustrated, this is the only classical mythology text that combines thorough coverage of theoretical approaches to myth with a substantial anthology of primary works. More than 700 pages of primary selections, many of them complete works, include major hymns, epics, and plays of classical myth, while more than 200 photographs of classical wor ...more
Published July 14th 2000 by McGraw-Hill (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Mythology

David
Nov 28, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth
This work thoroughly explores the fundamentals of Grecco-Roman mythology, presenting the facts on the writers and the cultural details as well as venturing the various psychological interpretations on these myths. This is not a work of psychology and nor is it a dry commentary on the "entertaining superstitions of primitive peoples" which tends to be the norm among school textbook studies on the subject. This work instead shows an exquisite balance of historical, artistic (countless photographs ...more
Mark
This was the text for my Fall 2011 Classical Literature and Mythology class.

It is a decent text, which uses (mostly) complete classical works along with the authors' analyses and interpretations. The authors do make use of a couple different kinds of analysis throughout but they are distinctly biased towards feminist interpretations. I am not saying that that is a bad thing--in fact, it is a much needed correction to years and years of classical/myth scholarship--but they sometimes just go a bit
Amdany
An interesting read
My class touches strictly on the Greek myths; the reader will find that Hesoid and Homer are discussed sufficiently for most needs. A reader looking for a broader take should be pleased with both the Roman exceprts and the more contemporary interpretations (Auden, Boland) drawing on these myths. The post-colonial crowd may take umbrage at the lack of "diversity" but this book contains enough for an undergraduate needing a firm understanding of Greek myth, whether it be for co
Morgan
Oct 16, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was assigned for a class that didn't even really reference the book at all. I tried reading it on my own but never got very far. But, what of it I did read it was pretty interesting, but a little dry as most serious-business books are. If you're hard core into mythology, I would recommend this for but, if not, only a casual reader-this is probably not for you.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 StrangeBedfellows rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely informative with great reading selections. In fact, the primary works included are the true beauty of this book. You'll go beyond Homer (though his work is there, too) and read Hesiod, Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles, Ovid, Virgil, and some less-known works -- with the convenience of it all in one volume. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in Classical mythology.
Nikki
Yes, I'm reading a thousand-page textbook. But it's well written, and I feel like it's time to get an in-depth study of myth rather than just little bits here and there from Bulfinch or from "encyclopedias" of mythology. What I like about this one is it has Homer and Hesiod and Sophocles and all those in their entirety, so I can read the original texts as well as the modern-day explanations.
Brianne
Aug 22, 2014 Brianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are at all interested in classical mythology, this is the book to read first. It has everything (including Roman mythology and all the plays you could want) and it presents it in a clear and readable way. We didn't read all of the chapters for class, but I'm going to go through and read them just for fun!
Sam Grace
Really the best book of Classical Mythology I've ever read. EVERYTHING you want to know about the world of Greek myths. It's written for adults, not children, however, and adults with an inquiring mind though not necessarily an academic background. If you have an academic background, this is still a great reference book.
Brent
May 05, 2016 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, research
This is one of only five "textbooks" that I kept from college. Harris and his colleagues have done a wonderful job anthologizing a huge swath of Greek and Roman myths. Top-tier translations are interspersed with insightful and varied analysis that provides important context for these works.
Cherrie
Jul 10, 2011 Cherrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for teaching. It is full of art and has several excerpts from the major mythology works (Odyssey, Metamorphosis, Aeneid, Hesiod....). It's an easy read and very well structured. I highly recommend this book to any teacher or lover of mythology.
Mackenzie
the author is totally sexist -.-
Araminta Matthews
Not my first foray into mythology, but I'm on a bit of a spiritual quest at the moment.
Micaelyn
Dec 23, 2014 Micaelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most informative and comprehensive collections/dissertations on Greek myth - very engaging and accessible.
Dean
Aug 24, 2012 Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the text book I used for teaching. I think it is well organized and easier to comprehend than some of the other options.
Loo
Aug 16, 2009 Loo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Very good presentation. It grouped myths according to themes, making the study of mythology more comprehensible and applicable. The writing was intriguing and enjoyable.
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Surrealistdreams
Surrealistdreams rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Mirrhya
Mirrhya rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Karoline Pohorelec
Karoline Pohorelec rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Cassie
Cassie rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Ani
Ani rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2011
Laura (ローラ)
Laura (ローラ) rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2014
Andrea Brown
Andrea Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Lou Simon
Lou Simon rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2017
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2010
Thomas Battersby
Thomas Battersby rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • As the Romans Did: A Sourcebook in Roman Social History
  • Aesthetics: Lectures on Fine Art, Vol 1: Introduction & Parts 1-2
  • Myth: A Very Short Introduction
  • Rome and Italy: Books VI-X of the History of Rome from its Foundation
  • Modern and Contemporary Irish Drama
  • Modern Criticism and Theory: A Reader
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. B: The Sixteenth Century & The Early Seventeenth Century
  • For You, for You I am Trilling These Songs
  • Gothic Tales of the Marquis de Sade
  • Bluebeard
  • The Norton Anthology Of American Literature
  • Poems, Poets, Poetry: An Introduction and Anthology
  • Greek Tragedies, Vol. 2: Aeschylus: The Libation Bearers; Sophocles: Electra; Euripides: Iphigenia in Tauris, Electra, The Trojan Women