Start by marking “Just Don't Call Me Ma'am: How I Ditched the South, Forgot My Manners, and Managed to Survive My Twenties with (Most Of) My Dig” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Anna Mitchael is like a lot of the women you know. In fact, she may even be a lot like you. In her fast-moving world, she might be called on as a friend, coworker, daughter, girlfriend, confidante, brat, cynic, or domestic-goddess-in-training. She's willing to juggle pretty much anything that gets thrown her way, but the one label she simply won't embrace is "ma'am."
Published March 30th 2010 by Seal Press (CA) (first published February 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Just Don't Call Me Ma'am, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

Candace
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am is such a fun and easy read. I read it over a beach vacation and it was the perfect book to keep me entertained. I picked it up every chance I got. I laughed out loud many times and very much identified with Miss Mitchael's struggles and life changes as she navigated through her 20's. Every girl should read this!
Charlane Brady
JJust Don't Call Me Ma'am caught my eye as I walked around a small bookstore in Louisiana. I was in the same small town I lived in when I packed up and left the South years ago.

Just Don't Call Me Ma'am. Heels in the air. Forgetting manners and hanging on to dignity. I was sold right away. I was curious to read about the experiences of a southern, small town gal leaving that small town for the big world just as I had done. Okay, really, I was curious to how the hell she, unlike me in my 20's, wa
Erin
All sass, that one! I fell in love with the dynamic of Anna's family and enamored by all of her lovely flaws, trials and tribulations.

My favorite chapter is "Call me a Wavemaker". I hung on every word as she described the evolution that began the time her mouth was washed out with soap at age 10 to the moment she realized she deserved more on the other side of a heartbreaking breakup. "There was an entire alphabet of letters that made words I hadn't been speaking-it was time for me to stop Swall
Emily
I can't begin to review this book because my own words fall short on to say how beautiful a writer Anna is and how much her stories moved me. I didn't grow up with Anna but apparently she lived inside my head all these years. How else could she just know EXACTLY how these character building life moments feel. You don't actually read Anna's book, you just feel your way through it.
Eleni ( La Femme Readers )
Just Don’t Call Me Ma’am was a fun, witty and memorable memoir by Anna. There are so many elements I loved about this book. I automatically connected with Anna's sense of humor and well-written storytelling. Being I am a twenty-something year old I found a lot of her life stories relatable and laugh out loud funny. I enjoyed seeing Anna's transition from a Southern belle to a big city woman. She takes the readers through a journey of relationships, stereotypes, life-altering moments and so much ...more
Crystal
Just Don’t Call Me Ma’am is a witty, hilarious and honest biography of events that happened during her second decade. Mitchael candidly shares her biography with sarcasm, grace and Grandma’s wisdom.

I liked how easy it was to relate to the authors experiences. I also absolutely loved Mitchael’s writing style. She tells it exactly how she sees it and she doesn’t hold back.

There’s not much I disliked about this book. I would have like to have seen the events in her book depicted in chronological
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
I absolutely loved this book. A great memoir with some humor and truth, mixed with great stories of a single gal taking on her late 20s. I loved how each chapter was named by something she would rather be called other than ma'am - so within each chapter was one story or more that made the point as to why she could be called the other name.

This book reminded me of Jennifer Lancaster's type of humorous memoirs - although if snarky comedy isn't your thing, you would enjoy Anna Mitchael much better.
Brittany M.
Fun, feminist chick-lit.
Evon McNey
I picked this book up in Bookpeople Austin after recently moving to Texas from NYC and a better match couldn't have been made up in heaven. The intelligent wit, deadpan humor and complete accuracy of her writing and relatable experiences makes this such a perfect survival guide for anyone who braves a new adventure into a new city.

As a NYC city-slicker moving to the south, this book helped me tremendously feel at ease with certain humorous southern observations, and even gave me some great advic
Evon McNey

Nicole
I had high hopes for this book. The author went to UT, she is around my age, likes to drink wine, and left Texas upon graduation. I felt like we would have a lot in common. But she just went on and on about nothing. The end is kind of blah. She is a much better short story writer, as I've read her blog, than a novelist. The book is an account of her life in her 20s.
Kristin Lees
Seemed like one of those where the author really had nothing to write about...
Mandy Jo
This week's headline? staring down thirty...

Why this book? local media coverage

Which book format? on the kindle

Primary reading environment? at Camp Grandma

Any preconceived notions? "complete exposure clause"

Identify most with? some striking similarities

Three little words? "Swallowing My Words"

Goes well with? "Best paired with...(!)"

Recommend this to? my best friend

Coming off that Mary Karr book, letting the local print media determine the course of my reading, and suffering a few other literary
Billy Donovan
I totally enjoyed this book. A friend gave it to me one day when I was complaining about not having a thing to read and I stayed up all night to finish it. I like how it feels like you are just talking with a girl friend....and as someone who grew up in the South I totally 'got' what she was saying. I've already rec'd it to 3 of my friends.
Billy Donovan
Alexa
My book club loved reading this book. We're all in our 20's and thought she was spot on. Good one for groups who like to talk and drink wine while they read (who doesn't?!?!?)
Kay
I really loved this book. Carried it around with me in my purse even after I was done because I wanted to show a friend of mine (I'd been the maid of honor in her wedding) a passage that seemed especially relevant to the change of mood she went through during her wedding....:)
Amber
Even though superficially I have little in common with Mitchael, I found myself nodding along. I found her very relatable. I laughed, I cried, I noted sage advice . . .
Jamie
I had such high hopes for this book. I was terribly disappointed. It was the biggest waste of time. I seriously came close to not finishing this book. Don't bother with this book unless you are trapped underground for 20-30 years after a nuclear explosion. Maybe even then it would be a waste of time.
Suzanne
Didn't finish. Enjoyed the tone, but as it went on, I became annoyed at the same points being brought up again and again, and how each time they were talked about, it took a few pages to get through the point.

Maybe just not in the right head space for it right now.
Lori

This book is just plain silly. It held my interest initially, but then seemed a little over the top. I didn't finish this one.
Rosie Tighe
It was fun for awhile, but then it just got tiresome. I gave up about half way through.
Lia Vallone
Too slow...tried to get into it, never succeeded
Terry Cheek
Terry Cheek marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Jeannie Russell
Jeannie Russell marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks
  • Live Nude Elf
  • The Twilight Years: The Paradox of Britain Between the Wars
  • Cherry Bomb: The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Better Flirt, a Tougher Chick, and a Hotter Girlfriend--and to Living Life Like a Rock Star
  • Tiger Tiger
  • Brooklyn Love
  • Finding Organic Church: A Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Sustaining Authentic Christian Communities
  • Daily Life In Victorian England
  • Cavalier: A Tale of Chivalry, Passion, and Great Houses
  • Dangerous Space
  • Aerie (The Fallen, #3)
  • Aristocrats: Power, Grace, and Decadence: Britain's Great Ruling Classes from 1066 to the Present
  • Edward VII: The Last Victorian King
  • Sexually, I'm More of a Switzerland: More Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • The Letters of Noel Coward
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living
  • Wild Romance: A Victorian Story of a Marriage, a Trial, and a Self-Made Woman
Anna Mitchael is a Louisiana-born writer who now lives in Texas.'Just Don't Call Me Ma'am' was her first book published by Seal Press in April 2010. It included stories about dating vampires, bummer birthdays and the endearing excellence of pecan pie. Her second book, CopyGirl, will be released in the summer of 2015 by Berkley Books. For more about Anna visit annamitchael.com.
More about Anna Mitchael...
Copygirl

“...as a woman who was raised with the idea that the world was at my fingertips, that anything I wanted could be mine for the taking, on the eve of my thirtieth birthday I am ready to stand up and say that trying to have it all is not all it's cracked up to be.” 3 likes