Start by marking “Just Don't Call Me Ma'am: How I Ditched the South, Forgot My Manners, and Managed to Survive My Twenties with (Most Of) My Dig” as Want to Read:

Anna Mitchael is like a lot of the women you know. In fact, she may even be a lot like you. In her fast-moving world, she might be called on as a friend, coworker, daughter, girlfriend, confidante, brat, cynic, or domestic-goddess-in-training. She's willing to juggle pretty much anything that gets thrown her way, but the one label she simply won't embrace is "ma'am."
Published March 30th 2010 by Seal Press (CA) (first published February 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Just Don't Call Me Ma'am, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

Candace
Mar 10, 2010 Candace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am is such a fun and easy read. I read it over a beach vacation and it was the perfect book to keep me entertained. I picked it up every chance I got. I laughed out loud many times and very much identified with Miss Mitchael's struggles and life changes as she navigated through her 20's. Every girl should read this!
Charlane Brady
Jun 01, 2010 Charlane Brady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
JJust Don't Call Me Ma'am caught my eye as I walked around a small bookstore in Louisiana. I was in the same small town I lived in when I packed up and left the South years ago.

Just Don't Call Me Ma'am. Heels in the air. Forgetting manners and hanging on to dignity. I was sold right away. I was curious to read about the experiences of a southern, small town gal leaving that small town for the big world just as I had done. Okay, really, I was curious to how the hell she, unlike me in my 20's, wa
Erin
Mar 24, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stories
All sass, that one! I fell in love with the dynamic of Anna's family and enamored by all of her lovely flaws, trials and tribulations.

My favorite chapter is "Call me a Wavemaker". I hung on every word as she described the evolution that began the time her mouth was washed out with soap at age 10 to the moment she realized she deserved more on the other side of a heartbreaking breakup. "There was an entire alphabet of letters that made words I hadn't been speaking-it was time for me to stop Swall
Emily
Mar 26, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't begin to review this book because my own words fall short on to say how beautiful a writer Anna is and how much her stories moved me. I didn't grow up with Anna but apparently she lived inside my head all these years. How else could she just know EXACTLY how these character building life moments feel. You don't actually read Anna's book, you just feel your way through it.
Eleni ( La Femme Readers )
Just Don’t Call Me Ma’am was a fun, witty and memorable memoir by Anna. There are so many elements I loved about this book. I automatically connected with Anna's sense of humor and well-written storytelling. Being I am a twenty-something year old I found a lot of her life stories relatable and laugh out loud funny. I enjoyed seeing Anna's transition from a Southern belle to a big city woman. She takes the readers through a journey of relationships, stereotypes, life-altering moments and so much ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
I absolutely loved this book. A great memoir with some humor and truth, mixed with great stories of a single gal taking on her late 20s. I loved how each chapter was named by something she would rather be called other than ma'am - so within each chapter was one story or more that made the point as to why she could be called the other name.

This book reminded me of Jennifer Lancaster's type of humorous memoirs - although if snarky comedy isn't your thing, you would enjoy Anna Mitchael much better.
Crystal
May 21, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Just Don’t Call Me Ma’am is a witty, hilarious and honest biography of events that happened during her second decade. Mitchael candidly shares her biography with sarcasm, grace and Grandma’s wisdom.

I liked how easy it was to relate to the authors experiences. I also absolutely loved Mitchael’s writing style. She tells it exactly how she sees it and she doesn’t hold back.

There’s not much I disliked about this book. I would have like to have seen the events in her book depicted in chronological
Brittany M.
Oct 17, 2012 Brittany M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, memoir
Fun, feminist chick-lit.
Evon McNey
May 14, 2014 Evon McNey rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up in Bookpeople Austin after recently moving to Texas from NYC and a better match couldn't have been made up in heaven. The intelligent wit, deadpan humor and complete accuracy of her writing and relatable experiences makes this such a perfect survival guide for anyone who braves a new adventure into a new city.

As a NYC city-slicker moving to the south, this book helped me tremendously feel at ease with certain humorous southern observations, and even gave me some great advic
Evon McNey
Apr 04, 2013 Evon McNey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Freda Mans-Labianca
Meh.
I love Southern snark. When I saw this book on my tbr pile I figured it would be worth a read.
It was. In the beginning. Then it just sort of fizzled out from there. I laughed in the first few pages, and it felt so relatable, but by the end of it I was anticipating its' end. That's tough to say when it's someones' life story, but it was just a bunch of words to me. I didn't want to know some of the stuff I read. It just didn't interest me.
This could be one of those spinach situations. It wasn
Nicole
Aug 30, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book. The author went to UT, she is around my age, likes to drink wine, and left Texas upon graduation. I felt like we would have a lot in common. But she just went on and on about nothing. The end is kind of blah. She is a much better short story writer, as I've read her blog, than a novelist. The book is an account of her life in her 20s.
Billy Donovan
May 14, 2014 Billy Donovan rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this book. A friend gave it to me one day when I was complaining about not having a thing to read and I stayed up all night to finish it. I like how it feels like you are just talking with a girl friend....and as someone who grew up in the South I totally 'got' what she was saying. I've already rec'd it to 3 of my friends.
Billy Donovan
May 14, 2014 Billy Donovan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amber
Even though superficially I have little in common with Mitchael, I found myself nodding along. I found her very relatable. I laughed, I cried, I noted sage advice . . .
Alexa
May 14, 2014 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My book club loved reading this book. We're all in our 20's and thought she was spot on. Good one for groups who like to talk and drink wine while they read (who doesn't?!?!?)
Kristin Lees
Oct 15, 2011 Kristin Lees rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed like one of those where the author really had nothing to write about...
Mandy Jo
Sep 12, 2011 Mandy Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: texas-themed
This week's headline? staring down thirty...

Why this book? local media coverage

Which book format? on the kindle

Primary reading environment? at Camp Grandma

Any preconceived notions? "complete exposure clause"

Identify most with? some striking similarities

Three little words? "Swallowing My Words"

Goes well with? "Best paired with...(!)"

Recommend this to? my best friend

Coming off that Mary Karr book, letting the local print media determine the course of my reading, and suffering a few other literary
Jamie
Feb 28, 2011 Jamie rated it did not like it
I had such high hopes for this book. I was terribly disappointed. It was the biggest waste of time. I seriously came close to not finishing this book. Don't bother with this book unless you are trapped underground for 20-30 years after a nuclear explosion. Maybe even then it would be a waste of time.
Suzanne
Didn't finish. Enjoyed the tone, but as it went on, I became annoyed at the same points being brought up again and again, and how each time they were talked about, it took a few pages to get through the point.

Maybe just not in the right head space for it right now.
Kay
May 14, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Carried it around with me in my purse even after I was done because I wanted to show a friend of mine (I'd been the maid of honor in her wedding) a passage that seemed especially relevant to the change of mood she went through during her wedding....:)
Lori
May 23, 2011 Lori rated it did not like it

This book is just plain silly. It held my interest initially, but then seemed a little over the top. I didn't finish this one.
Rosie Tighe
Jul 09, 2013 Rosie Tighe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
It was fun for awhile, but then it just got tiresome. I gave up about half way through.
Lia Vallone
Too slow...tried to get into it, never succeeded
Wesley
Wesley rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2010
Renee Solis
Renee Solis rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Abbey
Abbey rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2010
Mike Mann
Mike Mann rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2011
Jana
Jana rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks
  • Live Nude Elf
  • Tiger Tiger
  • Brooklyn Love
  • Monopoly: The World's Most Famous Game--And How It Got That Way
  • Cherry Bomb: The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Better Flirt, a Tougher Chick, and a Hotter Girlfriend--and to Living Life Like a Rock Star
  • Sexually, I'm More of a Switzerland: More Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • Metro Stop Paris: An Underground History of the City of Light
  • Dangerous Space
  • Edward VII: The Last Victorian King
  • Aristocrats: Power, Grace, and Decadence: Britain's Great Ruling Classes from 1066 to the Present
  • Daily Life In Victorian England
  • The Twilight Years: The Paradox of Britain Between the Wars
  • The Letters of Noel Coward
  • Wild Romance: A Victorian Story of a Marriage, a Trial, and a Self-Made Woman
  • Finding Organic Church: A Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Sustaining Authentic Christian Communities
  • Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living
  • Aerie (The Fallen, #3)
Anna Mitchael is the author of Copygirl, Rattlesnake Stories, Rooster Stories and Just Don't Call Me Ma'am. You can read more of her work on annamitchael.com.
More about Anna Mitchael...

“...as a woman who was raised with the idea that the world was at my fingertips, that anything I wanted could be mine for the taking, on the eve of my thirtieth birthday I am ready to stand up and say that trying to have it all is not all it's cracked up to be.” 4 likes