Start by marking “The Legend Awakes” as Want to Read:
The Legend Awakes

The Legend Awakes (Of the Wing #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Claire Belle hears like an owl, sees like a hawk, and draws birds to her in some inexplicable way. Is it magic? Or some special power? Claire keeps her ability secret, afraid that sharing it will somehow break the spell. But can that "spell" be broken violently? A ruthless man seeks to kill a local, legendary Red-tailed Hawk--a raptor to which Claire is devoted and bound, ...more
Paperback, Revised, 204 pages
Published February 1st 2010 by Pinchey House Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend Awakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend Awakes

Patty Gruneberg
The first book of the Of The Wing trilogy! Wonderful story set in the mountains of Pennsylvania. The author has done her research for sure! A great combination of fact and fiction! The characters capture your heart - birds, dogs, and humans!! READ IT!
Penumbra
I won this book through the First Reads contest, thank you.

The Legend Awakes is about a young girl Claire, who has a special affinity for birds. I think the author made a good choice in making the main character a young girl.

The author did a great job of incorporating many species of birds and other objects of nature into her story. It was obvious that the author had done her research.

Claire’s voice and the voices of the other children were well captured. They sounded like young children with th
Craig
*goodreads first reads*

The Legend Awakes by Georgia Anne Butler is a delightful book written for children in mind. It not only provides plenty of wonderful information on various birds, but it also helps provide some insight into relationships between children and how many situations have multiple viewpoints. I would definitely recommend this book to any parent of a young child.
Michelle Khzouz
Thank you Goodreads for the First Reads copy! Wonderful, beautifully written book. It's so difficult these days to find interesting yet appropriate chapter books for young minds. This childhood journey offers readers an opportunity to see themselves in the characters. Enjoy!
Crystal Wayands
I don't typically read juvenile fiction, but my neighbor insisted I read her copies of book 1 and 2 in a trilogy called Of the Wing. I read the first one in 4 hours and started book 2 the very next day. Loved them both and now I find myself looking out my window for the birds.
Gail
I won this book in a first reads free giveaway. Thanks for the copy. I am saving it for Christmas to give to my grandsons. I am sure they will love it.
Dana
I received this book thanks to the First Reads program. Claire, our protagonist, has recently moved to a town in the mountains of Pennsylvania. Her looks are very unusual having white hair and golden eyes, which she conceals with blue contacts. The main aspect of her personality being her love of birds, by all means it’s not her only trait, this makes it hard for her to fit in at school. I had read that some people felt they were overloaded by information on birds. Remember, this book is about C ...more
Nyala Jackson
Before anything I want to thank Goodreads and Georgia Anne Butler for the free copy of the book. Thanks! This was a good children's book and I found it a nice and fast read.It is a nice way to turn to the attention of all the hunters that are after endangered species to have it as a "souvenir" or to sell it. Its also a good way for people to see a little about nature, bullying, and new and old friendship. I like how you made the main character connect with the birds on a deeper level. It helps s ...more
Melissa
First I have to thank Goodreads for my copy of Of the Wing: The Legend Awakens! I was sceptical at first seeing as it was a book totally written around the theme of birds. Being the animal lover I am though I had to read it! I am so glad I did because this was a great book.

The Legend Awakens is focused on Claire Belle, who just so happens to have an affinity for birds. I loved that the main character was a girl and that she stood for what she believed. The other characters like The Chicken Man a
Law
I picked this book up one night when I needed something to read before going to sleep. I usually read for under an hour so that I can get enough sleep for work the next day. However, this night was different. I could not put the book down. I realize it is written for a younger audience than myself but I was hooked. There is an aura of mystery as you read this book that keeps you turning the pages. The author's knowledge of birds in that particular region was also obvious to me. All in all a very ...more
Megan Anderson
This book is burdened with a weak plot, populated by one-dimensional characters, and riddled with spelling and grammatical errors. I would avoid this if at all possible.
Murkky
* Thanks to Goodreads for the First Reads copy *

I enjoyed reading this book. This is a beautifully written young reader book about a young girl, named Claire Belle, who has an appreciation for birds and nature, developed due to her father'sfascination. She lives through adventures in nature.This book has made me appreciate nature more. I notice nature as I walk around and have developed a read appreciation for it. It also touches on bullying and the importance of friends.

It's nice to know there
Robin
"The Legend Awakes is a fast reading book with entreuging characters,
The interesting main character is a young girl named Claire
Everywhere she goes, she communicates with all of nature. She Be- friends with a young boy on her school bus,
They start of an exciting journey together.
I liked reading the adventures these two have together.
The Legend Awakes is a real good story,
with just the right balance of information with out overload.
You won't want to put it down! The characters are familiar
as
Kathleen Yohanna
I found this to be a great book. It was written for ages 9 and up but I think even younger children would enjoy it. It teaches children some things about birds and how important they are to nature and humans. It also shows children what it is liked to be bullied and made fun of. Children should learn to rise above this kind of treatment and to find friendships that are supportive. I highly recommend this book.

I received a free copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. However
Sierra
I gratefully accepted this book as a free copy of Goodreads First Reads.
This book... was a bit odd. I was really excited to read it because I thought it was a magical animal bond sort of book, a theme which I love. But it wasn't like that at all, and the book went on and on and on about birds. Birds are ok, but they were seen through a child's obsession, which makes them less interesting. I also expected the book to be a bit more mature than it was - it felt like it was for 8-year olds. I just c
Caitlin I ♥ animals!
I won this book from a giveaway on here. Overall it was good. I don't really like fantasy so I didn't like all of the birds in it. But if you like fantasy and birds, its great for you. It took me longer than most books, because it just really wasn't that exciting. I'm considering reading book #2
Michael Ruger
This book I won in a first reads giveaway. It is a great story and fast read. I enoyed the characters who remind me of when I was youger walking through the woods. The plot moves quickly with no dull spots which I really like. I'm giving this book 4 stars for the originality and fun charaters.
Amanda
I won a copy of this book in a goodreads giveaway.

This was a pretty good kid's book. If you were/are a kid who does not quite fit in, but loves nature (especially birds) you'll be able to relate to the protagonist. The story is simple, but the characters are likeable.
Melinda
I got this book for free through Goodreads First Reads, and thought it would be a fun book. I'm really not a lover of birds, so this book didn't draw me in. I would give it 2.5 stars. It was well-written though, and cute, but definitely not for me, or my kids.
Oliver
thank you Goodyear and Georgia for the free copy of this book! it was such an amazing book and I really want to pick up the next 2! Claire is a bird lover like me so I had a ton of connections between the character. it's a fluffy light read for any day!
Maria-Paula
Not my usual type of reading but still interesting. I recommend a middle school level reader to this book, since it seems more appropriate for them. Received as an ARC.
Barbara
I did not read this as after I won it I realized it was a kid's book. My daughter read it and gave a great review of it. She enjoyed it and she's ten
Daniel O'dell
Bought this book for my grand nephew (11 years old) and he loved it. Would recommend it to any child interested in outdoor adventure.
Andd Becker
The book needs editing help for commas and pronouns.
I received this book free through the goodreads FIRST READS program.
Laronda Atchison
Great kids book. Lots of details about birds. Touches on alcoholism, child abuse and bullying.
Phyllis
good book for children aged 8 to 12 or for bird lovers
Michelle
Lovely story for children as well as adults.
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Awkward Moments with Men
  • The Future Church: How Ten Trends are Revolutionizing the Catholic Church
  • The Variations: A Novel
  • Prepare
  • Learn to Tie a Tie with the Rabbit and the Fox: Story with Instructional Song
  • Destiny's Call (The Lightbridge Legacy, #1)
  • The Romance of the Unicorn
  • Zack & Zoey's Alien Apocalypse -or- Alien Busting Ninja Adventure (Z&Z Book 1)
  • A Cowboy Comes Home (Colorado Cattle Barons, #1)
  • The Princess and the Pepperoni Pizza
  • The China Gambit (Craig Page, #1)
  • Letters from Wishing Rock: a novel with recipes (Wishing Rock, #1)
  • Doing What We Came to Do: Living a Life of Love
  • Dark Mind
  • How to Raise a Husband
  • The Eyes of Abel
  • Have a Nice Weekend
  • High School Substitute Teacher's Guide: YOU CAN DO THIS
Educator turned author, Georgia Anne Butler is writing her third book in the trilogy Of the Wing, which follows Claire and her friend Victor through birding adventures in the woodlands of Pennsylvania (book 1), to the bayous of Arkansas (book 2), to the enchanted lakes and hills of Ireland (book 3).

Butler began her career as an instructor of English composition at The Pennsylvania State University
More about Georgia Anne Butler...
The Ivory-billed Obsession