Start by marking “New York Rocker: My Life in the Blank Generation with Blondie, Iggy Pop, and Others, 1974-1981” as Want to Read:

By 1970, the hippie dream of the 60s was dead — the soundtrack of the revolution had become a multimillion-dollar industry. Glitter tried to save music's soul, but was too commercial to be cutting edge for long. Then, in 1974, a rescue movement arrived. Three chords, black jeans, a pair of shades, and a whole lot of attitude made music that matched the facts of life on its ...more
Published October 18th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about New York Rocker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New York Rocker

Nigeyb
Jun 13, 2016 Nigeyb rated it really liked it
I heard about New York Rocker: My Life in the Blank Generation with Blondie, Iggy Pop, and Others, 1974-1981 having read "Aleister Crowley: Magick, Rock and Roll, and the Wickedest Man in the World" which was written under Gary Valentine's real name - Gary Lachman - and which I recommend.

I thoroughly enjoyed Gary Valentine's memoir about his time in Blondie, his eye witness account of the nascent New York punk scene, and what happened to him over the next few years, which included playing with h
Perry Whitford
Like so many others from his time and place, Gary Valentine decided he wanted to be a rock star after witnessing the New York Dolls live at their legendary St Valentine's Day Massacre Show in 1974. Clearly not a natural punk, Gary was inspired to wear make-up and take drugs; just not too much of either though, and piercings and injections were certainly out.
A sensitive soul, histrionically accused of rape after his teenage girlfriend became pregnant, Gary left home, lodged with various friends,
Bobby
Feb 07, 2010 Bobby rated it really liked it
"New York Rocker" left me hating the original CBGBs cast. everyone seems like a pretentious douche monster. i knew most of the "artists" (Richard Hell, Patti Smith and Television) to all be pompous self important intellectuals but the Blondie drama and Valentine's sexual bragging and glorification of everything he did was kinda nauseating at times. Still it made for a juicy tell all. his taking credit for the new wave/ power pop fashion and sound is so far off it makes the rest of his claims tha ...more
Heather
Oct 16, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is the juiciest gossip of the best period in rock n roll ever. Yes, Please Kill Me is nice and From the Velvets to the Voidoids is good, but oh my God, Gary Valentine spills all the beans, he has no one's ass to kiss, and it's a great read! Plus he helped shape the New York punk look, way sexier than in other places. You like punk, you buy this book, yeah? Come on, I want to hear you go "Holy shit!" about the dirt he shares. Remember: Blondie screwed him over - he has nothing to lose by scr ...more
Andrea
Nov 21, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
This book read like one long bitch session--dude did not have much of anything nice to say about anyone. There were also a few times people's names were misspelled--he spelled Roky Erickson's name with a ck, to cite an example. Irritating. He also makes repeated snide and spiteful comments about Legs McNeil and Patti Smith. Almost everyone else he writes about receives similar treatment. Basically, the author just sounded like an immature, whiny asshole AND the writing sucked too.

David Cerda
Oct 21, 2009 David Cerda rated it liked it
Interesting perspective from a guy who was there during the NY new wave/punk/whatever you want to call it scene. Gary is a very talented songwriter and smart guy but seems to be telling incomplete stories sometimes. You just get the feeling there were details he may have left out. Worthwhile read for anyone interested in the CBGB's music scene.
Brian
Dec 13, 2007 Brian rated it liked it
1) debbie harry luvs pcp
2) chris stein is a jealous toy
3) gary valentine invented skinny ties and sunglasses
Karey
Mar 18, 2009 Karey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the historical aspect interesting but I would have to read a similar biography by the rest of Blondie to really believe his words.
Suzanne
Sep 05, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
As interested in this era as I am, I find myself trying to be interested in what he has to say. There are huge gaps, and lacklustre accounts of what must have been wild times.
Marcia Denice
Aug 26, 2015 Marcia Denice rated it really liked it
Very interesting stories, i couldn't stop laughing. A must read for anyone who is interested in the nyc music scene from the 70s.
John
Feb 01, 2008 John rated it liked it
This was fun. It was a good to see his perspective of what it was like to "be there". Brought back alot of dumb memories. Easy to read and doesnt get into his heavy fascination with the occult.
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
May 20, 2013
Pete West
Pete West rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2017
Rory
Rory rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2013
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
May 16, 2008
Eileen Ahern
Eileen Ahern rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
William
William rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2010
Jemma
Jemma rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Eric Holmgren
Eric Holmgren rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2013
Tatterdemalion
Tatterdemalion rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Goatboy
Goatboy rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Smith
Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2008
Patrick Mcintyre
Patrick Mcintyre rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2008
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Ryan Taylor
Ryan Taylor rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016