Start by marking “Angel Face: Sex, Murder and the Inside Story of Amanda Knox” as Want to Read:
Angel Face: Sex, Murder and the Inside Story of Amanda Knox

Angel Face: Sex, Murder and the Inside Story of Amanda Knox

E-book updated with a new epilogue that describes the riveting drama inside the courtroom and out, the Knox familyOCOs long crusade to free Amanda, and the reasons behind the eventual verdict of not guilty."
Published April 1st 2010 by Beast Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Face

Let's be clear: I am intentionally giving this book 0 stars. Everyone associated with this book should be embarrassed. I'm looking at you, Marcia Clark, for letting yourself be quoted praising this book on the back cover. I am also now going to cancel my Newsweek subscription after 20 years because the woman behind publishing this book is the chief editor of that magazine.

For the love of all that is good and pure, do not read this book if you want to understand the case of Amanda Knox. This book
Renee
Feb 25, 2013 Renee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This "book" is deeply unsettling to read - unfortunately it's not due to the sinister details of the crime and characters, but rather the author's total lack of reporting skills on what is a fascinating true crime casefile wasted.

There is very minimal substance to any dialogue contained in the book, a crime in itself when dealing with such a high profile case, and although she boasts her own scoops and her status as "the worst of the worst/most fearer/most hated by the family" reporter, I am go
Joanna
Aug 02, 2010 Joanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While all true crime books certainly tend towards sensational coverage, this book is very clearly the work of Tina Brown's Beast Books imprint. The chapter titles are as lurid as they are ludicrious: "Perugia Is Not For The Weak," "Here is the List of People I've Had Sex With," "I Kicked the Door in, and Then I Heard a Scream."

Barbie Latza Nadeau has been a correspondent for Newsweek for enough years that I really expected her to deliver a more balanced and thorough review of the Amanda Knox cas
Rob
Jan 24, 2012 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written, self pitying recap of a journalists time covering the Meredith Kercher murder trial. 30% trial recap, 30% complaining about the American Media, 30% personal attack on Amanda and the Knox family and 10% opinion.

Easy read since it's so short, but it's more of a recap of the media coverage of the trial than it is a recap of the trial itself. Also I find the authors theory on how the murder happened laughable....I'm not gonna to go into detail for those that may read the book but I'l
Michelle
Sep 10, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nadeau thinks Knox is guilty, that much is clear, but she still does a great job of being fair -- especially in acknowledging weaknesses in the prosecution's case which are, in some instances, extreme. She also really digs into explicit testimony and doesn't just choose the parts that support her view, which I appreciate.

There are some factual errors (based on what I read in the Italian court's original opinion) and there were a few unnecesary digs at Knox, but overall, this is a fairly straigh
Alen
Nov 11, 2013 Alen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't like this book. The journalist traded access to local big shots in exchange for their favourite description. Equally, she tried to dupe Knox's family to get more access there, only to describe them as unsophisticated and dumb. While not a direct hatchet job, this is rather a benevolent, easy-to-blame, reckless journalism, with minimum care for a truth or consequences.
The Subway Reader
November 2007. Amanda Knox, an American student in Perugia, is accused of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher. She is later convicted to 26 years in prison, a conviction which was overturned on appeal last year. There was no conclusive evidence, nor was there a clear motif. What exactly happened we will probably never know and this book does not reveal that either. The whole trial became a media circus with two camps, the so-called “innocentisti” (she's innocent) and the so-called “c ...more
Bridget
This book is total tabloid trashy fun. It's also written in a completely narcissistic fashion and the author spends the entire book telling us how villainized she was during the trial. Yeah, Barbie? I don't actually care about YOU in this story. I wanted to read the details of the Amanda Knox story, not the Barbie Latza Nadeau story. It's quite clear she thinks Amanda is guilty, but she does also seem to make it clear that the shoddy police work by the Italians compared with the bad defense team ...more
Elle Cunningham
Jun 14, 2015 Elle Cunningham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bloody terrible (excuse the pun). I read this out of curiosity for the plot, but the writing was painful at best. Far from being impartial, written from a journalist perspective rather than author- there was an entire section speculating on what happened, which summed it up... It was one long opinion laced with a few facts.

Reading this in 2015, after the couple were acquitted, was just a bit bizarre.

Not great, a trashy read.
Whitney
Jun 26, 2013 Whitney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has been several years since I've read this, but I do recall the completely biased nature of the author. For something pegged as "The Real Story" there were a lot of the authors opinions and theory and very little evidence to support said theories. I was very disappointed with this book.
Suzie Flohr
Aug 08, 2014 Suzie Flohr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was short and straight to the point.
Katie Bowie
Jun 09, 2014 Katie Bowie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I guess I should know better than to read a true crime book by a reporter as opposed to just a random true crime writer or researcher. Where a book by any run of the mill writer might contain some bias relating to the crime, in a book by a reporter, there's a metric shit ton of bias and sensationalism to the point of annoyance. I understand that this particular writer had inside access to the case and went to all the hearings and read the entire 10k+ page dossier on the case, but that doesn't ma ...more
M
Aug 07, 2014 M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously the author took offense to some words thrown at her during the trial and so published this book to prove she isn't a failed writer. It didn't work. There's no real details and nothing that makes the book memorable. For somebody who apparently knows everything about the case, one would think the book would be better.

There was more about what the fan clubs and media said than anything else. While that could be an interesting subject of a book, it's not what one would expect from this an
Ruth Turner
Aug 24, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime

Some reviewers of this book claim that the author is biased against Knox. While she obviously believes Knox and Sollecito to be guilty, I didn't find this to be so.

A refreshing, objective read after "Waiting To Be Heard" by Amanda Knox and "Honor Bound" by Raffaele Sollecito.

Well worth the read if you haven't already made up your mind which side of the fence you're on.

Elysse
Sep 10, 2011 Elysse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Author is from Italy but has done freelance work in Seattle, she is unarguably the expert on the topic because she was able to understand the case from the Italian and American side, whereas much of the case was lost in translation.
Stephanie
Jul 19, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read and very informative. It fills in a lot of holes of the American media coverage of the case.
Mark Saha
Nov 19, 2015 Mark Saha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, written shortly after the conviction of Amanda Knox, originally appeared under the subtitle, "The True Story of Student Killer Amanda Knox". It contains many errors of fact, either false information released by the police or outright fabrications. For the former the author could be forgiven if she had taken opportunity to correct them in this second edition, but says she chose not because "you can't rewrite history."

But Nadeau's factual errors pale in comparison to the effect of her i
Franco
Feb 03, 2014 Franco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you come to the Amanda Knox case already invested in an opinion on her guilt or innocence, then don't bother reading this book.

If, however, you are thoughtful and open-minded enough to consider the possibility that law enforcement in other Western countries might be as competent and thorough as law enforcement in North America, and that even if the system of justice in other countries is different from what you find in the Commonwealth and the United States, it might still be capable of treat
Heather
Kristin
For about a week, my sister and I became re-obsessed with the Amanda Knox trial. I checked this book out of the library not really intending to read the whole thing. When I first started reading it, I could barely put it down. There's something so compelling about the case that I can't help but study everything I can on it. I am also intrigued by the fact that nobody knows for sure what happened (except maybe the murderer(s), but even he/she/they probably only remember the night through a drugge ...more
Denise
Jul 11, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 out of 5 stars -- Older book published in 2010 reinforces my opinion about this case and Amanda Knox. I have read extensively on the topic and found this book very interesting with details that I had not read in other sources because of the author's proximity to the entire case and original trial.
Rossy
Sep 03, 2015 Rossy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book, it was a short one but my mind wasn't really on it.
Made me question Amanda's innocence, though, something I haven't felt before.
Iris
I knew I shouldn't have taken this book when I came across it for a dollar. I knew it. I knew I was in for nothing but mutated opinion warped to look like facts in a shameless way to profit off of multiple horrors, but I took it anyway. Shame on me, but I gave into good ole fashioned morbid curiosity.

I knew little to nothing about the Amanda Knox case other than, for the most part, America seemed to think that she was innocent. This book doesn't give you conclusive evidence in defense or prosec
Douglas Lord
Nov 02, 2015 Douglas Lord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think back to 2008. Remember the name Amanda Knox? She was the 20-year-old American woman put on trial in Italy for the murder of Meredith Kercher, her flatmate. The U.S. press portrayed her as she looked-young, cute, perhaps sexy but wholesome in a 'Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island' kind of way--the titular Angel Face. The truth, as written by Rome-based American journalist Nadeau, is quite different and covers the trial, evidence, and Knox's conviction. It also convincingly concurs with the cou ...more
Kat Davis
Not sure why this has had so many terrible reviews. It want that bad, if you consider it was written by a journalist. The case was discussed in detail and the facts delivered. It is only during the latter half of the book that the author's opinion becomes apparent. The reader is still given enough impartial evidence to judge for themselves in my opinion. I found this an interesting read, pretty quick to get through, and well structured. You can read around the author's opinion so it is not that ...more
Deviki
When I saw this book at a warehouse sale .....I immediately reached for it because I knew about this case, not much but her name "Amanda Knox" is quite well known to me.

I haven't diligently followed the case when it happened nor did I bother to check it out after. Back then I liked to read cases from before my generation ....old cases. So I read this book first then I tried to catch some youtube videos/documentary about this case as well as some websites dedicated to Meredith and Amanda.

I thou
J.M.
Apr 17, 2013 J.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really follow this case when it was in the news, and afterward felt as if I hadn't heard the whole story. The author of this book is an American who works as a news correspondent in Italy, so she has a unique perspective and the ability to see issues on both sides of the story. I felt this greatly enhanced my understanding of the events (or rather, what's known of the events), though I would've liked more in-depth detail about the legal proceedings themselves. A quick, fast read.
Mary
Jul 12, 2010 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very quick read with a few editing errors (for instance she mentions "JorDan VanDerSloot; his name is Joran, no D. For an established reporter, you'd think she'd get that right.). I didn't come away feeling certain Amanda Knox is guilty, although it does appear that she is. I do believe her family did a great job spinning it to make her seem like a sweet innocent which I've never firmly believed. It's certainly an interesting case, and the authors hypothetical seems plausible.
Jane
Apr 03, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I signed up for this on Amazon and got it in the mail 2 days ago. It's riveting and spells out exactly what Amanda Knox was about. It gives a good glimpse into what being an international student in Perugia is like. The way the Americans misread Italian culture and how to comport themselves in the courtroom is simply breathtaking. Ironically, the old saying, "When in Rome........." didn't seem to occur to them.
Sheri
Jan 11, 2016 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • Jack the Ripper
  • The Fence: A Police Cover-up Along Boston's Racial Divide
  • Made Men
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • King of the Godfathers
  • The Murder of Jim Fisk for the Love of Josie Mansfield: A Tragedy of the Gilded Age
  • Brutal: The Untold Story of My Life Inside Whitey Bulger's Irish Mob
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door
  • The Diary of Jack the Ripper: The Discovery, the Investigation, the Authentication, the Debate
  • Pastworld