Start by marking “Angel Face: Sex, Murder and the Inside Story of Amanda Knox” as Want to Read:
Angel Face: Sex, Murder and the Inside Story of Amanda Knox

Angel Face: Sex, Murder and the Inside Story of Amanda Knox

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  94 reviews
E-book updated with a new epilogue that describes the riveting drama inside the courtroom and out, the Knox familyOCOs long crusade to free Amanda, and the reasons behind the eventual verdict of not guilty."
Published April 1st 2010 by Beast Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Face

Let's be clear: I am intentionally giving this book 0 stars. Everyone associated with this book should be embarrassed. I'm looking at you, Marcia Clark, for letting yourself be quoted praising this book on the back cover. I am also now going to cancel my Newsweek subscription after 20 years because the woman behind publishing this book is the chief editor of that magazine.

For the love of all that is good and pure, do not read this book if you want to understand the case of Amanda Knox. This book
Renee
This "book" is deeply unsettling to read - unfortunately it's not due to the sinister details of the crime and characters, but rather the author's total lack of reporting skills on what is a fascinating true crime casefile wasted.

There is very minimal substance to any dialogue contained in the book, a crime in itself when dealing with such a high profile case, and although she boasts her own scoops and her status as "the worst of the worst/most fearer/most hated by the family" reporter, I am go
Joanna
While all true crime books certainly tend towards sensational coverage, this book is very clearly the work of Tina Brown's Beast Books imprint. The chapter titles are as lurid as they are ludicrious: "Perugia Is Not For The Weak," "Here is the List of People I've Had Sex With," "I Kicked the Door in, and Then I Heard a Scream."

Barbie Latza Nadeau has been a correspondent for Newsweek for enough years that I really expected her to deliver a more balanced and thorough review of the Amanda Knox cas
Michelle
Nadeau thinks Knox is guilty, that much is clear, but she still does a great job of being fair -- especially in acknowledging weaknesses in the prosecution's case which are, in some instances, extreme. She also really digs into explicit testimony and doesn't just choose the parts that support her view, which I appreciate.

There are some factual errors (based on what I read in the Italian court's original opinion) and there were a few unnecesary digs at Knox, but overall, this is a fairly straigh
Rob
Poorly written, self pitying recap of a journalists time covering the Meredith Kercher murder trial. 30% trial recap, 30% complaining about the American Media, 30% personal attack on Amanda and the Knox family and 10% opinion.

Easy read since it's so short, but it's more of a recap of the media coverage of the trial than it is a recap of the trial itself. Also I find the authors theory on how the murder happened laughable....I'm not gonna to go into detail for those that may read the book but I'l
Alen
I really don't like this book. The journalist traded access to local big shots in exchange for their favourite description. Equally, she tried to dupe Knox's family to get more access there, only to describe them as unsophisticated and dumb. While not a direct hatchet job, this is rather a benevolent, easy-to-blame, reckless journalism, with minimum care for a truth or consequences.
Ruth Turner

Some reviewers of this book claim that the author is biased against Knox. While she obviously believes Knox and Sollecito to be guilty, I didn't find this to be so.

A refreshing, objective read after "Waiting To Be Heard" by Amanda Knox and "Honor Bound" by Raffaele Sollecito.

Well worth the read if you haven't already made up your mind which side of the fence you're on.

Whitney
It has been several years since I've read this, but I do recall the completely biased nature of the author. For something pegged as "The Real Story" there were a lot of the authors opinions and theory and very little evidence to support said theories. I was very disappointed with this book.
Elysse
The Author is from Italy but has done freelance work in Seattle, she is unarguably the expert on the topic because she was able to understand the case from the Italian and American side, whereas much of the case was lost in translation.
Stephanie
A quick read and very informative. It fills in a lot of holes of the American media coverage of the case.
Suzie Flohr
I loved this book. It was short and straight to the point.
Franco
If you come to the Amanda Knox case already invested in an opinion on her guilt or innocence, then don't bother reading this book.

If, however, you are thoughtful and open-minded enough to consider the possibility that law enforcement in other Western countries might be as competent and thorough as law enforcement in North America, and that even if the system of justice in other countries is different from what you find in the Commonwealth and the United States, it might still be capable of treat
The Subway Reader
November 2007. Amanda Knox, an American student in Perugia, is accused of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher. She is later convicted to 26 years in prison, a conviction which was overturned on appeal last year. There was no conclusive evidence, nor was there a clear motif. What exactly happened we will probably never know and this book does not reveal that either. The whole trial became a media circus with two camps, the so-called “innocentisti” (she's innocent) and the so-called “c ...more
Heather
Kristin
For about a week, my sister and I became re-obsessed with the Amanda Knox trial. I checked this book out of the library not really intending to read the whole thing. When I first started reading it, I could barely put it down. There's something so compelling about the case that I can't help but study everything I can on it. I am also intrigued by the fact that nobody knows for sure what happened (except maybe the murderer(s), but even he/she/they probably only remember the night through a drugge ...more
Bridget
This book is total tabloid trashy fun. It's also written in a completely narcissistic fashion and the author spends the entire book telling us how villainized she was during the trial. Yeah, Barbie? I don't actually care about YOU in this story. I wanted to read the details of the Amanda Knox story, not the Barbie Latza Nadeau story. It's quite clear she thinks Amanda is guilty, but she does also seem to make it clear that the shoddy police work by the Italians compared with the bad defense team ...more
J.M.
I didn't really follow this case when it was in the news, and afterward felt as if I hadn't heard the whole story. The author of this book is an American who works as a news correspondent in Italy, so she has a unique perspective and the ability to see issues on both sides of the story. I felt this greatly enhanced my understanding of the events (or rather, what's known of the events), though I would've liked more in-depth detail about the legal proceedings themselves. A quick, fast read.
Mary
This is a very quick read with a few editing errors (for instance she mentions "JorDan VanDerSloot; his name is Joran, no D. For an established reporter, you'd think she'd get that right.). I didn't come away feeling certain Amanda Knox is guilty, although it does appear that she is. I do believe her family did a great job spinning it to make her seem like a sweet innocent which I've never firmly believed. It's certainly an interesting case, and the authors hypothetical seems plausible.
Katie Bowie
I guess I should know better than to read a true crime book by a reporter as opposed to just a random true crime writer or researcher. Where a book by any run of the mill writer might contain some bias relating to the crime, in a book by a reporter, there's a metric shit ton of bias and sensationalism to the point of annoyance. I understand that this particular writer had inside access to the case and went to all the hearings and read the entire 10k+ page dossier on the case, but that doesn't ma ...more
Jane
I signed up for this on Amazon and got it in the mail 2 days ago. It's riveting and spells out exactly what Amanda Knox was about. It gives a good glimpse into what being an international student in Perugia is like. The way the Americans misread Italian culture and how to comport themselves in the courtroom is simply breathtaking. Ironically, the old saying, "When in Rome........." didn't seem to occur to them.
Belisa
Not the best account of the case that I've read but some interesting insights. I suggest reading this in conjunction with more information about what actually happened. Because we can't trust any of the evidence or testimony from court, it is hard to be sure the information in this book (and Barbie's anti-Knox perspective) is completely warranted or accurate.
Kim
Just ok... kind of rushed to publish, I think. Didnt think much of the author, but at least she didnt take the American-Knox-Is-Innocent route.... a lot of the evidence has been ignored by American press, due to their own agenda. This was more objective, and a good reference for evidence.
M
Obviously the author took offense to some words thrown at her during the trial and so published this book to prove she isn't a failed writer. It didn't work. There's no real details and nothing that makes the book memorable. For somebody who apparently knows everything about the case, one would think the book would be better.

There was more about what the fan clubs and media said than anything else. While that could be an interesting subject of a book, it's not what one would expect from this an
Merilee
Jun 03, 2010 Merilee marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This may turn out to be absolute trash (esp by an author named Barbie no less) but I did get a kick out of The Monster of Florence and I did study for 6 months in Florence. The ways of the Italian justice system are truly byzantine...
Vanessa
This book felt abbreviated since I was hoping for more facts and details on the case rather than a brief summary and speculation. I will be reading something else to find a different perspective and more thorough coverage.
Katie
this was poorly written, distorted, and unfair. even the first page "scores of student passed otu in the main square." scores? like, 80 people asleep on the cathhedral? no. very very bad.
Katie
Poorly written and very biased. Instead of facts and evidence, the author uses cultural stereotypes to support her theories.
Kristen Doherty
What a waste of life...parents shouldn't let kids leave home without another adult watching over them
Karlin
Good breif journalistic review of the case...she is totally guilty
Mimi
This book made no sense....too many twist and turns...
  • Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • Jack the Ripper
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • The Best American Crime Writing: 2003 Edition: The Year's Best True Crime Reporting
  • The Fence: A Police Cover-up Along Boston's Racial Divide
  • Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • Chasing the Devil: My Twenty-Year Quest to Capture the Green River Killer
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • In the Still of the Night: The Strange Death of Ronda Reynolds and Her Mother's Unceasing Quest for the Truth
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • Brutal: The Untold Story of My Life Inside Whitey Bulger's Irish Mob
  • Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator
  • The Murder of Jim Fisk for the Love of Josie Mansfield: A Tragedy of the Gilded Age
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
Art+travel Europe: Caravaggio and Rome Florence Eat! Pauline Frommer's Italy