Start by marking “Buy My Hats!” as Want to Read:

Buy My Hats!

Frank and Carl have plenty of hats to sell, and their booth is open for business . . . but no one is buying! Everyone is crazy about Blue Monkey?s skateboards, Mister Pig?s Cup O? Mud and Big Ox?s remote-control robot cell phones?so what?s their secret? Dave Horowitz?s cast of crazy characters is sure to delight young readers. The world of retail has never been more ...more
Published June 10th 2010 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Buy My Hats!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buy My Hats!

Kathryn Hogan
I absolutely adored this book. The plot was simple, but very clever. No one would buy the hats they were selling, and the guys could not figure out why. They had almost given up till it started raining. Once it had started raining everyone was buying left and right. It proves that end the end people will buy what they need. The story was very cute and I would love to discuss with the children how they felt about the ending of the story. I also liked the usage of numbers there were many different ...more
Mariah
Mar 07, 2013 Mariah rated it really liked it
Interesting to have a great children's book that makes the concept of supply and demand "real" for small children, yet the actual book itself is not easy to attain, as it is in short supply. Out of print.
Terryann
Apr 27, 2010 Terryann rated it really liked it
Buy My Hats!
Horowitz, Dave. Buy My Hats!. Putnam. June 2010. F. ISBN 978-0-399-25275-4. $16.99.

Gr K-2
When Frank and Carl set up a hat stand at the City Market, they expect to sell lots of hats. They are disappointed however, and watch sadly on as their neighbors make money hand over fist. Monkey sells skateboards, Pig sells Cup O' Mud and sheep sells Remote Control Robot Cell Phones. When Frank and Carl ask their neighbors for the secret to success, they're repeatedly told that the products are
Anthony
Mar 15, 2012 Anthony rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Renee
Aug 10, 2010 Renee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1st-3rd
Shelves: picturebook-math
In the City Market, Frank and Carly (a bear and a fish) set up a stand to sell hats. Unfortunately, their hats don’t sell despite trying the techniques from other sellers (advertising). Finally, when it starts raining, their hats are in demand. However, it was strange that they say they don’t know why their hats are selling, but they wrote “they’re rainproof” on their stall after it started raining. This would be useful for introducing supply vs. demand or advertising techniques. The ...more
Melanie
Frank and Carl set up a hatstand at the City Market. Problem is, they aren't selling any hats. They slash the prices but still, no hat sales. The Monkey next door is selling out of skateboards. Of course, everyone wants skateboards! And then there's Pig's Cup-O-Mud. Who can resist a Cup-O-Mud?

On Friday it starts to rain. Now everyone wants hats! Maybe next week they should sell umbrellas, too.

A humorous story, highly recommended for storytime.
Kate Hastings
Dec 11, 2012 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Shelves: money-economics
Grades 2-5. Very simple story about a bear and a fish who cannot seem to sell any of their hats. Other vendors are doing gangbusters and attribute their success to different marketing techniques. Finally the "perfect storm" presents itself and the hat salesmen are able to find buyers for their product. Great for a unit on economics that goes beyond simple supply and demand.
Libby
Aug 24, 2014 Libby rated it really liked it
This was a cute story about two aspiring businessmen (well, a business bear and a business fish) who can't quite figure out the secret of success. In the end, a rainstorm comes to their aid.

We reread this one several times, and I think the kids liked the ads for the protagonists' competitors and all the conversations taking place on the pictures as much as anything.
Luann
Sep 23, 2010 Luann rated it liked it
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
This is cute and colorful and teaches about the effects of advertising and why people choose to buy certain products and not others. I can't think of too many other picture books that are both cute and colorful and teach about a market economy! My favorite part, though, was the author's note on the back flap about how he came up with the idea for this story.
Dolly
May 15, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, money, 2013
This is an entertaining story about the capricious whims of the market, with supply and demand being depicted against the fickleness of fads. The narrative is entertaining to read aloud and the illustrations are cartoonish and colorful. We enjoyed reading this book together and we thought the ending was quite humorous.
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, hats, humor, rain, sales
A delightful story of two friends who set up a hat stand only to discover that no one will buy their hats. Everyone buys skateboards, remote control robot phones, even cups o' mud, but not hats! Their fortunes change when a rainstorms hits and then everyone wants what they are selling. A lovely story and great introduction to the economics of a free market!

Awesome illustrations.
Joanne Zienty
Dec 29, 2015 Joanne Zienty rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Poor Frank and Carl just aren't moving the merchandise. Is it their product? Their advertising? Their marketing campaign? Could be a funny introduction to the idea of sales for a class learning about supply, demand, goods, services, wants and needs ... or just a funny read aloud with big, bold illustrations that add to the fun.
Lbrown107
Apr 18, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it liked it
I loved this book because it was the first one I came across that could be used to teach the concept of consumer needs/demands and producers! It also has some math involved so students could be solving addition and subtraction problems as well throughout the book.
Denise Kettering
Jul 22, 2014 Denise Kettering rated it it was amazing
It is unfortunate that this book is difficult to locate (out-of-print) because it is a delightful book that helps to explain supply and demand to kids in a humorous way. The pictures are a lot of fun and the characters are entertaining. Great book!
Diana Hanke
Sep 08, 2010 Diana Hanke rated it really liked it
"Buy My Hats" presents a great look at advertising, selling, and buying. Frank and Carl spend a full week attempting to sell hats while other products go like hot cakes all around them. A fun read and a great way to show kids why they buy and how they are convinced to buy.
Jen
Aug 01, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Frank and Carl have a lot of hats to sell, but no one seems to want to buy them...that is until it rains!
Mary N
Feb 14, 2012 Mary N rated it it was ok
Shelves: nyra2013
Recommended by kids for NYRA 2013, this book perhaps in intended to introduce some business concepts to young readers, but I wonder if it is effective?
Rachel
Nov 15, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, library
My son really enjoyed this book, so much so that we might have to buy it. A really cute book to read out loud with younger kids.
Yulidy Decena
cute fun book about selling hats. I'm not sure what the students can learn about this book but it was a cute book.
Tiffany Hall
Apr 18, 2016 Tiffany Hall rated it it was amazing
Read this with my son. Super cute- it kept me entertained as an adult. He picked it out at his school library. I enjoyed the illustrations as well.
Emmeline Guest
Oct 28, 2010 Emmeline Guest rated it liked it
Cute and slightly silly. Could work well with a Letter "H" storytime, or a k-2 grade assignment on advertisement and marketing :)
melissa
melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2010
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Mortis Boys
Mortis Boys rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2014
Chae Pak
Chae Pak rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
196278
My name is dave horowitz. I grew up in Smithtown, New York in the 1970s. Instead of paying attention in school I drew pictures of my teachers. Then I went to a famous art college in Rhode Island and studied coloring.

In 1992 I graduated and went to Oregon to play drums and drink coffee. Then I moved to New York City and worked next door to the Twin Towers. Then I learned how to climb rocks and got
More about Dave Horowitz...