Lucky Chica: A Novel

Lucky Chica: A Novel

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Rosie Caballero hatesher nagging boss,her "ditch-me" dating history, her second-hand wardrobe and third-rate job--nothing is easy. She can’t even afford to pay for her dog Tootie's food.

And then, Rosie wins the largest lottery jackpot ever: 600 million. Rosie can hardly believe her new life: she spends thousands on diamonds, makeup, clothes, and promises.Rosie parties like...more
Published January 6th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

Chris
Rosie, Cheeto and Abuela make for quite a trio after winning the megabucks lotto. It's a wild romp and had many funny and serious scenes too. This book was a quick read and I digested it completely. I loved Rosie's first trip to Tiffani's [sic] and her fantasy love. No spoiler here. Lets just say that it's always nice when what you ask for, you are glad you got it.
The money amazingly was also a character in the book. It's not easy to make that happen in my opinion. Usually it's a villain but in...more
Sylvia
I call this my fantacy read. Have nothing, win the lottery (600 million), and find love (a movie star). Ok, Ok, Iam awake. No, but really, this is what happens to Rosie while working for the worst boss in the world. Winning the lottery is easy but knowing who she can trust is the hard part. Fun read.
B. Snow
Lucky Chica by Berta Platas is a fast-paced little novel that for anyone else (everyone else?) will be a fun read, but honestly, this book made me uncomfortable. I think that's because the protagonist reminded me a little too much of some of my friends who make bad financial decisions. I felt so bad for Rosie when she was poor, and after she won the lottery, I spent the rest of the book waiting for a particular shoe to drop (I won't say whether it did or not -- you'll have to read it yourself!)....more
Sandra Lopez
Review: What would you do if you won $600 million dollars? Well, most of us would do what we've always wanted to do: quit our jobs after finally telling off the boss, move out of that crummy, rat hole of an apartment, and finally live it up like a spoiled princess where you'll want to hire someone to scratch your nose. That's exactly what the lead heroine in this story does.

After learning that she won the lottery, the very first thing Rosie Caballero does is quit her lousy job after, of course,...more
Livin' la  Vida Latina
Reviewed by Sandra Lopez, author of "Esperanza" and "Beyond the Gardens"
Member of Livin' la vida Latina

After learning th...more
Kay
Nicole
I enjoyed the book for the most part. Some of the parts were a little boring, and some of the dialogue seemed unbelievable. But most of the characters were interesting & I liked reading how they interacted together.
Jessie
Yolanda
Adeena
this book was very good. it shows how a already spoiled young woman wins the lottery and lives the high life.she's usually always late to work and lives in an apartment.when she gets rich people come from everywhere trying to hook up with her and she is confused at who her real freinds are.
Katrina
I am putting this on the back burner. It is not keeping my attention. Yes, she won the lottery, but nothing is happening....
one week later, I returned it.... I didn't like it and didn't finish it. I was bored.
Deni Johansson
I read it in about 2 days, one of those you can't put down; had to see what happens next. It is an interesting take on what happens when a financially challenged girl wins the $300 million lottery.
Eleanor Marque
What would your life be like if you won the lottery? Classic escape fiction. Rosie is such a likable, relatable character. I rooted for her the entire book.
Shelly
A great beach read! I really enjoyed the way Berta Platas writes and hope to read something else by her. Not a lot of depth, just enjoyable to read!
Magi
I spent alot of time on the couch last week,due to a cold. this book was a perfectly light read for a sick day.
Amanda
It was cliche and silly, but for all of us who have ever thought about winning the lottery, it was a fun "chick" read.
Carla
I never want to read another lottery story. This one was just cringe worthy and nauseating at times.
Leticia
Read this as part of the LLI Book Club for February. Very easy, light read. Good storyline and fun to read.
Amanda
Ehhh, this we a nice very quick read. Its fun to think of winning the lottery of course.
Milly Dunaway
What a fun read! Rosie, Cheeto and Abuela are a hoot.
Sandra
Really enjoyed it. What would I do if I won 600 million dollars? Quit my job the same exact way Rosie did, of course. And just live life the way rich people do.
Lucia Carlos-valentino
Lucia Carlos-valentino marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Adriana Simpson
Adriana Simpson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ana E.
Ana E. marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Rosita
Rosita marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Rosana deBruyn
Rosana deBruyn marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Cinderella Lopez Miami Heat To Catch A Dream (Encanto (English)) Livewire (Encanto (English)) Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume