Start by marking “The Tall Stranger” as Want to Read:
The Tall Stranger

The Tall Stranger

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,141 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Wagon trains heading west were forced to defend themselves against Indians, cope with injuries and illness, and struggle to find food. The group of easterners Rock Bannon was scouting for faced another problem. They were being deceived. When he warned them to remain on the Humboldt Trail, Sharon Crockett and the others refused to listen. Mort Harper, a stranger riding a be ...more
Published January 25th 2005 by Bantam (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Tall Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tall Stranger

Gary Burzell
A really good story if you like westerns. I had forgotten how well Louie L'Amour writes. His descriptions of the land, the people and everything else makes you feel like you are there.
Pat Martin
My first western in memory of my grandfather. He loved Louis L'amour novels.

Honestly not too bad, nice change of pace.
Don Andrews
Typical Louis L'Amour, a truly great story teller
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Don’t ever say I don’t venture out from my comfort zone in my reading. I finished my first real Western (unless Lonesome Dove counts). And it’s a Louis L’Amour, the John Wayne of Western writers.

I knew where this book was going from page one. No doubt about it…it’s a guy book, through and through. Fellow (Mercy! His name is ROCK Banyon…please!) joins up with a wagon train headed west. The man who’s guiding the wagon train is Mort Harper. Harper has persuaded the train to take a southern route,
Rock Bannon knows he’s not a man of words. He never has been. He also doesn’t inspire confidence in those he meets. He doesn’t expect to. But when he started guiding the wagon train, he expected to gain the trust of the men and establish a bond of some kind. Those hopes are dashed when Mort Harper, smooth talking and charismatic, joins the train. He immediately sets out to deepen the divide between Bannon and the other men. And he speaks about traveling on a different trail, a trail which will l ...more
Karen
L'Amour fudges a bit on relationships in this novel--the hero, Rock Bannon, is not the natural son of the man he calls "father." but, this fact is cast away lightly. Still, there is good suspense as a wagon train gets sidetracked into an illegal land-grab scheme. Rock wins out, but not without some very close calls--but, will he win a bride too?
Jamie
This book, like most L'amour books, falls into the "junk food for the mind" category. It's quick, tasty and fun but has no nutritional value. And like most junk food, I love it! There's nothing like escaping into a simple story of love, hate and heroism. The good guys are good, the bad guys are bad and everyone in between runs for the hills (literally, in this case).

My only problem is the last few sentences. I don't know if they were meant to be funny or serious, but either way they don't fit t
Annemarie Donahue
Pretty good. If you like Westerns then this book is definitely for you. The main characters is a flawed, but brilliant gun slinger with a withered out-look and heart-o-gold. He teams up on the train with a wagon trail of settlers who, predictably, do not believe his ernestness and side with the slick talking well dressed newcomer, to their downfall. Rock, protagonist, saves them all and gets the girl. I'm going through my Western phaze, so I dug it. Would be a good read paired with the film Brok ...more
Scottaggart
beautiful descriptive western prose.
Again, abrupt beginning, and abrupt ending. Rock Bannon has got to be the *greatest protagonist name I've read in a while. The female character in this one was rather lacking, and Rock(snicker)'s attitude toward her was somewhat... well, the best way to sum it up is in the closing words of the book:

"Oh, Rock! Are you asking me to marry you?"
"I'm not asking, I'm telling. This here's one marriage that's gonna start off right."

...Ok, then... Rock .
Fredrick Danysh
Rock Bannon ries into a settler's wagon train wounded. When he is healed a Mort Harper rides into camp and talks the group into a new route to California over Rock's objections. When they reach the valley where Rock's foster father lives, Harper convinces some of the settlers to stay. A local cowhand is murdered and a range war is on.
Rod Foglio
More of the same from Louis L'amour. The hero is invincible, the supporting characters are one-dimensional, and the villains are caricatures. I spent most of the book wondering at what point I would start caring about what happens.
Mike
I had never read any Louis L'Amour westerns. Old guys used to rave about them. I get it now. I understand he is formulaic, like Agatha Christie, and I'll assign that comparison as a compliment. Easy breezy to read, and very satisfying.
Christa
My husband reads Louie L'Amour books all the time and I was desperate to read something so I grabbed one off the shelf. I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually a pretty good book. It was really quick and easy to read.
Tristen
This book was very good, it reminded me a lot of "The Quick and The Dead." It is written by the same person so I did not expect it to change much. I love his writing so I am glad it did not change.
Debbie
DJ and I read this together. I love Louis L'amour books (my dad does too), but DJ was bored for a lot of it. He thinks, if you've read one, you've read them all. Read for yourself and find out!
Tyler Tinker
the book talks about a wagon train that moves across the country. it talks about fighting Indians, and the hard ships of living in those days. overall it is a good book.
Ruth
Typical L'Amour: a strong hero, seemingly insurmountable odds, lots of shooting, a bit of cussing, a whiff of romance, and plenty of action.
Utsav
Not quite as bad as the two star rating might suggest. It's forgettable fluff, but enjoyable enough during the two hour read.
Jen
Good story. Almost too simple, would have liked to get to know the characters more.
Diane
Wagon train to California, good vs. evil, little character development, short book.
Papaparsons
Fun, easy and enjoyable. Classic L'Amour. I could read these books all day.
Kirstin
Another favorite. It's short but action packed.. like most of his books.
Cecelia
Another wonderful novel, or more apropriatly probably novella.
Matthew Hurley
My granddad sent me a whole box of Louis L'Amours.
Partridge Public
Nov 20, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: L'Am West PB
Shelves: western
L'Amour, Louis PB
Jessica
My favorite Louis Lamour book of all time!
Charles
Cws
LP L'Am
  • Desert Gold
  • The Untamed
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • Sons of Texas
  • Mississippi! (Wagons West, #15)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods