Start by marking “A Guide to Old English” as Want to Read:
A Guide to Old English

A Guide to Old English

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The seventh edition of this popular introduction to Old English language and literature retains the general structure and style of previous editions, but has been updated, and includes two new, much-requested texts: the Cotton Gnomes and Wulfstan's "Sermo Lupia ad Anglos" - and two new appendices: A List of Linguistic Terms Used in This Book and The Moods of Old English.
P
Published January 12th 2007 by Blackwell Publishers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about A Guide to Old English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to Old English

Molly
Jan 01, 2008 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students who are forced to learn this
Haha look - this is on Goodreads!

I mean.. ahem. It is my view that the linguistic nuances of Old English poetry are lost completely in translation. Every lover of literature should get this book and learn Old English. For how can the opening "Hwaet" of Beowulf possibly be rendered in our sloppy modern attempts at expression? How can the suffering of the Seafarer bite at the soul of a reader when the original meter is compromised? What craft have you? Where has gone the horse? Where the rider? Wh
Neil
I have really fond memories of this book and can remember buying it many years ago. At that period Mitchell and Robinson's books were all the rage. I remember picking up a pristine hardcover edition from a bookshop and have treasured it ever since.

The book itself is a pretty good introduction and teach yourself guide to the Old English Language with a selection of Old English texts and a glossary. The first section contains really useful sections on everything from pronunciation to syntax, while
Lesliemae
Six weeks after I began I'm reading Old English thanks to the wonderful guidance of a good professor and this perceptive book. Mitchell & Robinson think of all the grammatical conundrums and explain them with simplicity so that in 4-6 weeks you to can read Anglo-Saxon poetry, and let there be no question - it's entirely worth the effort to translate the poems.
Lindsay
This is one of the best language primers I've used. I really hate the phrase "makes history come ALIVE" but...well...the book goes out of its way to explain how culture affects language, and how Old English affects the language we speak today. Some of the poems (The Wanderer comes to mind) are unspeakably sad and beautiful.
Steve Luttrell
Aimed at autodidacts as well as traditional students. The author *loves* OE, and you can tell.
Brent Barnard
I love Old English, and this is an old textbook that I keep trying to read again, but can't seem to find the time! One day! I'm putting it in the "read" category because I don't know when I'll ever have time to master it.
Dan
Of all the texts I used to teach myself Old English, this one was the most useful. It's accessible (sometimes a little too pedantic) and provides the necessary information in a clear format.
Gwan
Can't really comment on it as a guide for the autodidact, since we just used it for the OE texts at university, but a good introduction to some of the OE greats.
Noah
Rather confusing in its explanation of the grammar, but a really good collection of graduated things to translate (and with a good glossary to boot).
Phillip
This book provides a description of Anglo Saxon, many examples to learn, and an impressive bibliography of sources to launch one's studies.
Sam Johnsson
A very strong grammar and methodical reference, with texts. Not necessarily the most accessible, as it assumes some linguistic theory.
Fred
Good resource and one that will need to be read again.
Stephanie Fysh
Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell (1965)
Keith Miller
A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell (2006)
A
Jul 27, 2011 A added it
Absolutely excellent
R Louise
R Louise marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Victor Cosby
Victor Cosby marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Kristin Butts
Kristin Butts marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Kat
Kat added it
Mar 07, 2015
Katy
Katy added it
Mar 04, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Demetrios
Demetrios is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Bookewyrm
Bookewyrm marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
peter
peter added it
Feb 17, 2015
  • Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
  • The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language
  • The Anglo-Saxons
  • Anglo-Saxon Poetry (Everyman's Library)
  • Introduction to Old English
  • Anglo-Saxon England (Oxford History of England)
  • 501 Latin Verbs
  • European Literature and the Latin Middle Ages
  • A Biography of the English Language
  • The Anglo Saxon Chronicle
  • Wheelock's Latin
  • The Oxford English Dictionary: 20 Volume Set and CD-ROM [With CDROM]
  • Alfred the Great: Asser's Life of King Alfred and Other Contemporary Sources
  • The Anglo-Saxon World: An Anthology
  • Collins-Robert French-English, English-French Dictionary =: Robert-Collins Dictionnaire Francais-Anglais, Anglais-Francais
  • The Battle of Maldon
  • Finn and Hengest: The Fragment and the Episode
An Invitation to Old English and Anglo-Saxon England Beowulf: An Edition With Relevant Shorter Texts The Love Of Big Cats Resource & Environmental Management On Old English