Start by marking “A Guide to Old English” as Want to Read:
A Guide to Old English

A Guide to Old English

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The seventh edition of this popular introduction to Old English language and literature retains the general structure and style of previous editions, but has been updated, and includes two new, much-requested texts: the Cotton Gnomes and Wulfstan's "Sermo Lupia ad Anglos" - and two new appendices: A List of Linguistic Terms Used in This Book and The Moods of Old English.
P
Published January 12th 2007 by Blackwell Publishers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about A Guide to Old English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to Old English

Molly
Jan 01, 2008 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students who are forced to learn this
Haha look - this is on Goodreads!

I mean.. ahem. It is my view that the linguistic nuances of Old English poetry are lost completely in translation. Every lover of literature should get this book and learn Old English. For how can the opening "Hwaet" of Beowulf possibly be rendered in our sloppy modern attempts at expression? How can the suffering of the Seafarer bite at the soul of a reader when the original meter is compromised? What craft have you? Where has gone the horse? Where the rider? Wh
Neil
I have really fond memories of this book and can remember buying it many years ago. At that period Mitchell and Robinson's books were all the rage. I remember picking up a pristine hardcover edition from a bookshop and have treasured it ever since.

The book itself is a pretty good introduction and teach yourself guide to the Old English Language with a selection of Old English texts and a glossary. The first section contains really useful sections on everything from pronunciation to syntax, while
Lesliemae
Six weeks after I began I'm reading Old English thanks to the wonderful guidance of a good professor and this perceptive book. Mitchell & Robinson think of all the grammatical conundrums and explain them with simplicity so that in 4-6 weeks you to can read Anglo-Saxon poetry, and let there be no question - it's entirely worth the effort to translate the poems.
Lindsay
This is one of the best language primers I've used. I really hate the phrase "makes history come ALIVE" but...well...the book goes out of its way to explain how culture affects language, and how Old English affects the language we speak today. Some of the poems (The Wanderer comes to mind) are unspeakably sad and beautiful.
Steve Luttrell
Aimed at autodidacts as well as traditional students. The author *loves* OE, and you can tell.
Brent Barnard
I love Old English, and this is an old textbook that I keep trying to read again, but can't seem to find the time! One day! I'm putting it in the "read" category because I don't know when I'll ever have time to master it.
Dan
Of all the texts I used to teach myself Old English, this one was the most useful. It's accessible (sometimes a little too pedantic) and provides the necessary information in a clear format.
Gwan
Can't really comment on it as a guide for the autodidact, since we just used it for the OE texts at university, but a good introduction to some of the OE greats.
Noah
Rather confusing in its explanation of the grammar, but a really good collection of graduated things to translate (and with a good glossary to boot).
Phillip
This book provides a description of Anglo Saxon, many examples to learn, and an impressive bibliography of sources to launch one's studies.
Sam Johnsson
A very strong grammar and methodical reference, with texts. Not necessarily the most accessible, as it assumes some linguistic theory.
Fred
Good resource and one that will need to be read again.
Stephanie Fysh
Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell (1965)
Keith Miller
A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell (2006)
A
Jul 27, 2011 A added it
Absolutely excellent
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Nandi
Nandi marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Keren
Keren marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
محبة لدين
محبة لدين marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
N.J. Ramsden
N.J. Ramsden is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2014
Ramalho
Ramalho marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages
  • The Anglo Saxon Chronicle
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots
  • The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language
  • The Anglo-Saxons
  • A Biography of the English Language
  • Anglo-Saxon Poetry (Everyman's Library)
  • Collins-Robert French-English, English-French Dictionary =: Robert-Collins Dictionnaire Francais-Anglais, Anglais-Francais
  • Wheelock's Latin
  • European Literature and the Latin Middle Ages
  • The Oxford English Dictionary: 20 Volume Set and CD-ROM [With CDROM]
  • Anglo-Saxon England (Oxford History of England)
  • Historical Linguistics: An Introduction
  • A History of the English Language
  • Archaeology and Language: The Puzzle of Indo-European Origins
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • The Penguin Historical Atlas of the Vikings
  • Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction
An Invitation to Old English and Anglo-Saxon England Beowulf: An Edition With Relevant Shorter Texts The Love Of Big Cats Resource & Environmental Management On Old English