Start by marking “History of Food” as Want to Read:
History of Food

History of Food

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
This wide-ranging and comprehensive reference history covers in one volume the history of foodstuffs, the story of cuisine and the social history of eating. From the origins of mankind, and the transition from a vegetable to an increasingly carnivorous diet, the story unfolds of the interrelationship between people and diet, between particular foods and social mores, betwe ...more
Published September 28th 1994 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about History of Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of Food

Jim Chevallier
Nov 03, 2012 Jim Chevallier rated it really liked it
This is pretty much required reading for anyone with a serious interest in comprehensive food history. It is dense with information and carefully organized. My one big quibble is that Toussaint-Samat uses footnotes very sparingly. This is already frustrating when trying to track down some of her sources; it is all the worst when she passes on erroneous information. Which she unfortunately does on a number of occasions - Le Grand d'Aussy's distorted account of Charlemagne's cheese (which she furt ...more
Scheherazade W.
Oct 23, 2015 Scheherazade W. rated it did not like it
Shelves: food, history
Ramblings of a French woman presented as a global "history" despite lacking consistent scientific and historical citations. I don't mind a thick book, or rambling French women. I do however want to be sure I'm reading something on food history that is fact checked and internationally inclusive (if that's even reasonably possible with such a broad subject.)

I did plenty of curious googling as I read, and would say only 60-70% of the information presented here is true. Some things in here are just
Stacy
Nov 27, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I agree with a previous reviewer -- the focus is very euro-centric, with North America considered and Asia added as afterthoughts for some topics. However, thoroughly researched and terribly informational. I used it as a reference for a paper and found myself plowing through the rest of it out of sheer curiosity and interest.
Rebecca Huston
A whacking huge brick of a book, but if you're at all interested in culinary history, or want to know where an ingredient was first eaten and when, this book will tell you. Lots of pictures, lots of detail, this is one of my keepers.

For the more complete review, please go here:
Brad
Aug 06, 2007 Brad rated it really liked it
Despite the Euro and Franco-centric scope of the book as broader history, this book contains fascinating food scholarship wrapped into cogent narrative morsels. Many people I know use it as a reference book but I couldn't put it down and read it cover-to-cover.
Catherine
There should be an option 'unfinished". Overall, a very impressive collection of facts regarding foods. However it's a heavy read, and more like a collection of small books, each on one topic. I didn't find it entertaining enought to have it on my nighttable.

So although I won't read it entirely, I enjoy having it as a reference book on my food & cooking shelves and will have a look at it from time to time when I decide to know more about one food in particular.

On the down side... I am havi
Spencer
Mar 07, 2014 Spencer rated it really liked it
It's very witty, informative and French, but it's awfully long--sometimes long-winded. Some things were skimmed. A great reference to have on your shelf; not so much a great thing to check out from the library. Something every foodie should own, anyway.
SL
Aug 29, 2011 SL rated it it was ok
Tried to read this one mainly because JG Ballard had it on his bookshelf but got way too bogged down in it...finally gave up. Just too general, sprawling and scattershot for my liking...perhaps I'll try a more specific food-item book, like "Cod", or "Salt"...hmm, I'm getting hungry all of a sudden...
Alison
Sep 19, 2014 Alison rated it liked it
This book is fascinating and comprehensive, but is better dipped into over time than read end-to-end. It's a bit French-centric, and the section on spices is weak (and wrong in a few spots). It also ends abruptly with no effort to pull the full story together. More of a reference book.
Wm
A crazy mix of anthropology, history, classical allusions, anecdotes, commentary and cultural history all wrapped up in a robust love for gastronomy and a Franco-orientation. Delightful (and very very long) so long as you don't take as the gospel truth. Quite the fascinating read.
Ann
Jul 29, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
This had just the information I was looking for -- which is just what Publisher's Weekly didn't like about it. I wanted to find information about French food from medieval through 1800s, and there's quite a bit about that in here. Loved the mix of history and edibles.
Greg
Oct 18, 2012 Greg rated it liked it
Extremely enjoyable, but eventually got tired of using Bible verse as historical proof. Read first half then skimmed second half. A good resource if somewhat unreliable. See Amazon reviews.
Ízaro
May 14, 2013 Ízaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C
Mar 30, 2010 C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A bit dry... not a book you pick up and walk around with, but a book you pick up and haul to the couch/bed/chair and read...then sleep.

Cody
Jan 22, 2011 Cody is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Delicious! MANY courses, served over many, many, many months! At 705 pages, I'll be salivating over this for some time to come I'm sure!
Eric
Apr 18, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting a long time for a book of this breadth. Pretty heavy on the frankophile perspective but that's to be expected.
Mike
Dec 03, 2011 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As other reviewers have said, this is definitely Euro-centric. It is sometimes a little dry, but still pretty engaging.
Amy
Jan 28, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read
This is more of a reference book, and it's about three inches thick, so maybe it will always stay on my to-read "shelf".
Anna
Oct 23, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Świetna książka. Podział epok jest przejrzysty i nie ma dziwnych przeskoków jak w Encyklopedii głupoty.
Krysten
I haven't finished this book but I will finish this book because it is FASCINATING.
CFAITC
This is a thorough and detailed reference book on the history of foods and food uses.
Patricia
Mar 15, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, history
One of my favorite books - WOW! What a joy to read the history and evolution of food.
Charles Seluzicki
Jul 10, 2011 Charles Seluzicki rated it it was amazing
Just reading this updated (by Betty Fussell!) edition of a classic- Wow!
Matt
Apr 14, 2010 Matt rated it it was amazing
An excellent tome! Wish I could have read it all before I had to turn it in.
S.R. Dantzler
Jan 21, 2009 S.R. Dantzler is currently reading it
Great stuff if you are a foodie!
Bryan Rucker
Nov 19, 2007 Bryan Rucker is currently reading it
this one's gonna take me a while...
Suzy
May 15, 2012 Suzy rated it really liked it
An interesting read
Christl
Christl marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Marissa Green
Marissa Green marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
  • Food: The History of Taste
  • Food in History
  • Cuisine and Culture: A History of Food & People
  • Near a Thousand Tables: A History of Food
  • Food: A Culinary History from Antiquity to the Present (European Perspectives)
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking
  • In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
  • Food is Culture (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • The Cambridge World History of Food 2 Part Boxed Hardback Set
  • An Edible History of Humanity
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Food and Culture: A Reader