The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship

The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,083 ratings  ·  173 reviews
What makes a wife a lover?
For Kate, the spark went out of her marriage long ago but her husband doesn't seem to notice. Their role as parents consumes their lives so they need to rekindle the romance they once shared.

What makes a woman a mother?
For Jo, a high-powered career has led her to believe that she doesn't have a single maternal instinct. When an orphan unexpectedly...more
Published January 26th 2011 by 5 Spot (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship

Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Feb 21, 2011 Kristi (Books and Needlepoint) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristi (Books and Needlepoint) by: kherbrand@comcast.net
This book begins with Kate, a stay-at-home mom afraid of flying, getting ready to jump out of an airplane - to skydive. She has been sent on this "mission" by a letter that she received from one of her dear friends Rachel. Rachel has passed away and sent a letter to many of her friends and family with last requests. This book focuses on three of those - Kate's, Jo's and Sarah's. They were brought together by Rachel and the four of them had remained good friends despite their differences.

As I s...more
Shonda
4.5 Stars

Friends Sarah, Bobbie Jo, “Jo”, and Kate are shocked to their core when Rachel, the most daring and vivacious of the group, suddenly dies of cancer. After her passing, each woman receives an unexpected letter from Rachel. In her letters, Rachel requests something of each woman: to experience life outside of her comfort zone.

For Kate, that means sky-diving. Kate was spontaneous and care-free before she become a married mom of three. Somewhere along the way her marriage to Paul become rou...more
Debbie
Four very different friends have remained so with much effort, but when tragedy strikes and deathbed requests are made the least that will happen is head scratching, the most will be life changing.
Ms. Higgins has a sure to be hit on her hands in this her first foray into mainstream women’s literature. The first thing that was apparent to me was her astonishing storytelling capability, the second is her capacity to pull some deep emotions from me while reading. She gives us a heart-wrenching tale...more
Paula  Phillips
I first read Lisa's book "One good friend deserves another" and I loved it so much. It made me feel in a way a bit sad as I would have loved a group of friends like that but as I spent so much time moving around, it just didn't work out. Thank goodness, now though for the internet as I do have a great group of friends online who I can chat to about anything and have a set of good laughs. I enjoyed Lisa's book so much, that I decided to check out what else she had written and came across her earl...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Letters, letters, letters...did yours arrive yet?

They weren't letters you would want to receive, though. They were letters from Rachel, a dear friend who had died unexpectedly, and contained her last wishes for each friend to carry out. Would you go to great lengths to fulfill a friend's dying wish?

Most of the requests were outlandish, but were sent to be sure her friends would find happiness or do something they would never dream of doing. She really wanted all of her friends to improve somethi...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Proper Care & Maintenance of Friendship is a heartwarming story of self discovery and second chances. After Rachel's death from cancer, long time friends Jo, Sarah and Kate, each receive a posthumous letter with a last request. Honouring Rachel's dying wishes proves to be a challenge for the women who are forced to confront uncomfortable truths and learn valuable life lessons. Kate is asked to parachute from an airplane and rediscovers her lost zest for life and adventure, Sarah is encou...more
April
Four friends. Together through thick and thin. And then cancer. The life of the group, the rock, the glue that held them together, was gone. On her death bed, Rachel penned letters to each of the women asking them to do the one thing that eluded them while she was alive.

Kate, the seemlingly perfect stay at home mother of three young ones. Perfect house. Perfect husband. Perfect life. Or so it seems. In her quest to do everything perfectly, to give everything to her children, she has lost herself...more
Elphaba J

As Cores da Amizade fala-nos de três mulheres e de uma amiga. Fala-nos de três vidas díspares e de uma vida já perdida. Fala-nos de três formas diferentes de amar e de uma amizade incondicional que perdura muito para além da morte.

Sarah, Kate e Jo superam juntas, lentamente, a morte súbita daquela que lhes provou o verdadeiro significado do que é estar vivo e será com força de um afecto comum que ultrapassarão o último desejo da sua amada Rachel.
Sarah é uma flor exótica por descobrir que se perd...more
Michelle
I picked this up because the Kindle version was $0.99 and it had fairly good reviews. I ended up liking it more than anticipated. It’s not life-changing but the writing is sharp and I was pulled into the story immediately.

Four women in their late thirties have been best friends since college. One passes away and leaves “instructions” for the other three. I found her instructions/tasks for Jo downright irresponsible as well as the way these were carried out. So this was either unrealistic or Rach...more
Rhapsody
Jul 11, 2011 Rhapsody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rhapsody by: Book Review
I found the story so beautiful. It was a celebration of friendship and I could not help but relate to it through my own friendships with my three closest friends. The story revolves around a circle of four friends, Rachel Braun, Sarah Pollard, Kate Jansen and Jo Marcum. Rachel Braun passes away and leaves a letter for each of her friends to do one thing for her. For Sarah, it is to seek a man she has always loved, Colin O'Rourke. For Kate, it is to jump out of a plane and for Jo, it is to look a...more
Mary (BookHounds)
This story is all about taking chances and getting out of your of comfort zone. Four women, friends forever, find themselves at a loss when one member, Rachel, dies of cancer. She has never told the other three about her condition. Before she dies she sends letters to the other members of the group and makes them face their fears. The requests make each person leave their comfort zone and in the process overcome things that are holding them back in their lives.

The story reminded me a bit of the...more
Jane Johnson
I loved reading this book. Each of the characters reminded me in some way of each of my closest friends. The stories of how each of the women were asked by their old friend to face a big fear of theirs to see, and more importantly feel, what was on the other side were wonderful. I loved this book and when it came time to select bridesmaids gifts for my recent wedding I chose to give them all a copy of this book. I wrote inside each book cover to each unique and wonderful friend of mine about our...more
Sandy
What these women all have in common is a friend with a generous soul, an irrepressible spirit- and a serious illness. In her final letters, Rachel raises one last question: What makes a friend live in our hearts forever?

Thought-provoking!! Something I found of insight was an how we hang onto what people were in our mind's eye, idolizing, fantasizing. Rose -colored glasses so-to-speak. I enjoyed the thought behind this and what a cool idea to send private letters to your friends....!!
Lorrie Thomson
Kudos for The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship! I identified the most with Kate, the mom who needed to jump out of a plane to remember who she was before kids. But I think Jo, the single businesswoman, was the sweetest surprise of all. Loved her journey in which the reader got to know her slowly as she discovered the courage to know herself and heal the hurt child inside her. And, of course, I had a crush on Sam. Who doesn’t love a color-blind gun runner?
Vanessa
I'm pretty surprised that this novel is getting such good reviews. It makes me wonder if I was in the right frame of mind when I read it, and I did read it on a good friend's recommendation. The plot was promising enough but when I got down to reading this novel I found the dialogue and the story, overall, to be quite simplistic and the characters not all that well developed, and not as likeable as I would have hoped.
Cheryl Pashlin
Four friends............one dies and leaves letters for the other 3 that will change their lives on many levels. This is a fast reading "chick" book that I thoroughly enjoyed and would have liked to have given another half star (C'mon Good Reads). Maybe because of the kind of book it is I could not rate it as high as some of the others.
Let's petition good Good Reads for those half stars.
Nicole Gerrand
I read this book in less than 24 hrs (with the mandatory food, conversation and sleep breaks)" I also cried at the end. Everyone need a friend like RAchel to shake you out of their comfort zone and make then face what will challenge them most. All the characters had depth and substance
Jackie
This was a wonderful story that every woman should read. Real friends are sometimes hard to find and retain. When they are "true blue," you do so much because of the mutual love and respect. We should all be so blessed.

Thank you for such a neat story.
Martha Newman
Very good story about a long-time friendship between four women who are each given a task as a legacy by one of the group who dies of cancer. Each task is designed to take them out of their comfort zone and challenge them to expand themselves.
Annie
Such a wonderful sweet/sad/hopeful story. Didn't feel cheesy either. Got this as a gift from one of my best friends....pretty perfect
Leslea
Gorgeous book. Bunch of friends losing one to cancer and them sorting things and in the process sorting out their own lives.
Merry
had some very meaty items in here and some big fluff but it worked for my mindset :-)
Monica Silberman
Higgins serves up a splendid book that all women should read! Perhaps men as well:-)
Kelly
Feb 11, 2011 Kelly added it
I enjoyed this book. It made me want to have a close group of friends!
Holly
summer fiction reading... interesting but not captivating! ;-)
Amanda
Enjoyed! Teared up a few times even. :)
Ali
Predictable. A bit entertaining.
Joann
Oct 01, 2012 Joann added it

Great story of friendship!
Cheryl "Mash"
THE PROPER CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF FRIENDSHIP by Lisa Verge Higgins
Published by The Hachette Book Group
ISBN-10: 044656351X
At the request of The Hachette Book Group, a TPB was sent, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.

Synopsis (from Amazon):
What makes a wife a lover?

What makes a woman a mother?
For Jo,...more
Beth
Looking at the cover of this book I was expecting a light chick lit type of book but there was much more to this book. Before Rachel dies, she leaves each one of her friends a letter asking them to do a special task. Each one is different and each one takes the recipient out of her comfort zone and will really test each woman in ways even I didn't see coming. Rachel wanted to help each woman grow and help them even if she could no longer be there. The characters are well developed and the story...more
General Fiction F...: Late chapters 9 6 Jul 28, 2014 08:17PM
  • Georgia's Kitchen
  • Second Time Around
  • Here, Home, Hope
  • The Butterfly's Daughter
Lisa Verge Higgins is the RITA-nominated author of sixteen novels that have been published worldwide and translated into as many languages--quite a switch for this former PhD candidate in chemistry. Now this opera loving mother of three is creating heartwarming new stories revolving around women's lives and women's friendship. THE PROPER CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF FRIENDSHIP, her first foray into mai...more
More about Lisa Verge Higgins...
One Good Friend Deserves Another Friendship Makes the Heart Grow Fonder Random Acts of Kindness Senseless Acts of Beauty

“Any fool could see that you're at the reeling end of a long, strong rope - soon enough, It'll be tugging you back.” 3 likes
“Any sharp transition such as this was like birth; the pain was necessary to remind you of its importance.” 3 likes