Start by marking “Operation Beautiful: Transforming the Way You See Yourself One Post-it Note at aTime” as Want to Read:

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  43 reviews
An empowering book with photos, notes, and true stories about an underground campaign to recognize the true beauty within every woman.

Tired of watching women pick themselves apart in front of the mirror, blogger Caitlin Boyle scribbled a note on a Post-it: "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!" and slapped it on the mirror of a public bathroom. With one small act, she kick-started a move
Published August 3rd 2010 by Gotham (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Operation Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation Beautiful

Daenel
I have five children and I half~jokingly describe them as “self~confident to a friggin’ fault”. Seriously, I have never met kids who are more self~assured than these guys. And I honestly have no clue where they get it from but I’m glad they have it. I mean, I’m thirty~seven years old and I don’t have that level of self~confidence. I suspect many women feel that way…

Tired of watching women pick themselves apart and reeling from the destructive nature of what she calls “Fat Talk”. Fat Talk is the
Chezzie
At the time, I loved this book. Now my opinions of the forceful, "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!! <3" movement is changing.

The reason for Operation Beautiful is the emphasization of beauty in our fucked up society. Telling everyone they're beautiful only confirms that, "YES, EVERYONE HAS TO BE BEAUTIFUL. But don't worry, you are too!"

Everyone cannot meet societal beauty standards. I mean, they change every 43 seconds. We're all different. It's true. Instead of trying to lump us all together we should r
I've heard about Operation Beautiful on TV and had investigated the website. I was excited to see that a book was coming out just because I like the idea behind the book: women need to be reminded that they are beautiful. I found the book cheap online.

First off, if you're looking for some amazing new breakthrough, this book isn't it. It's actually full of very old advice; advice, I think, we've forgotten. Advice like "you are more than what you appear in the mirror," and "your value can't be mea
Mindy
When I saw the title of this new book, I knew I had to read it. We hear a lot about building up our girls' self-esteem as they are bombarded with "skinny advertising" and judgment from a young age. I also have a son who, at 10, already feels he's fat because of his body type. And when a book advocates using Post-It Notes, I figured it has to be good, right?!? (Yes, I am a recovering office-product-a-holic. Staples is one of my favorite stores. But I digress.)

Starting with posting one scrap of pa
Rachel Whitley
This book is so filled with positivity and inspiration, I wish it was required reading for every female ages 10-35. Although it can feel a bit cliche every now and then, the messages of hope and self-acceptance are invaluable for today's women. In an era filled with shallow, self-absorbed, materialistic pop culture phenomena, the messages in Operation Beautiful are refreshing and uplifting. A few of the stories are eye-openers; as you read, you realize what is truly important in life, (if you di ...more
Nicole
Love, love, love the concept and it's something I want to participate in: spreading positive thoughts and quotes throughout the world to remind people they are beautiful and amazing and everything they need to be just the way they are.

My contribution: Beauty is not a number on the scale, a dress size, a hair color, or a clothing brand. It does not come from a gym, a nutrition label, a store, or a salon. It is YOU being YOU, and you'll only find it inside yourself.

Jess
Caitlin is one of my favorite bloggers, so I was excited to finally pick this book up. The idea behind Operation Beautiful is that it's like PostSecret in reverse; instead of sharing a secret, you share an inspirational message on a Post-It note, and put it in public for someone to find.

This book is a compilation of some of those notes, many stories (including some of Caitlin's own), and tips and suggestions for living a healthier, Fat Talk-free life.
Janet
Reading this book was a horrifying glimpse at the impact the “beauty myth” is having on so many women’s lives. The majority of these women are in their late teens or early twenties, and many of them describe battles with eating disorders, self-mutilation, unsupportive families, addiction to exercise, etc. I know I’m beautiful, and I plan to buy a pad of Post-Its and tell others the same.
Maya
I picked up this book after hearing about this "movement." It's more filled with photos of the notes left for others and how people have been moved by the notes. There were some good openings to each section from everything from eating disorders to depression. I think it's a good coffee table type of book for anyone who deals with girls/women for a little uplifting quick view.
Nicki Conroy
This book just came, via FedEx, yesterday so I am just cracking it open as I watch Caitlin on The Today Show this morning.

Updating to say that all parents should read this book. There is so much that can be used in manners other than just "fat" talk which is a lot of the book. Read how I applied it to my life at http://nickisnook.net/2010/08/16/oper...
Erin
I planned an event at which Caitlin was a guest speaker. I adore her! The book is inspirational and the premise of Operation Beautiful is uplifting. The idea is to leave behind a post-it note with motivational/kind words on a bathroom stall, airplane tray table, etc. A random act of kindness can be a nice reminder that we all really are "beautiful".
Kari
In a time when it comes almost second nature to berate ourselves or others and focus on our imperfections or those of others, this book reminds us to look for the good in others and especially ourselves. It is a book for adults and teenagers alike. After, or even while, reading you will find yourself going to buy some post-it notes:)
Tina Peterson
Interesting book. It would be a good read on a rainy day or when you need a feel good story (kind of like the chicken soup books). Lots of great tips and suggestions to fit different life categories. I think it would be a good book to read with your kids and then to do an activity with your kids to encourage and lift up other people.
Vanessa
This could easily be a 5 for a teenage girl dealing with eating disorder issues, in need of community love. I bought it because Borders is closing and it was cheap-o. It's not what I thought- a book on writing health-related affirmations. It's a nice book on positive thought, supporting others and what-goes-around-comes-around.
Jessica Marshall
This was a very inspiring book. I will forever carry a post-it pad and pen in my purse. What could make a woman feel more beautiful than seeing the beauty all around her then noticing it in her self as well? An easy read that really gives you the feel good tingles.
Satia
A cute idea that earn the blogger an invitation to publish a book. The notes are more interesting than anything else. The website is still inspired and inspiring. For more:

Chibi
From my amazing friend @PrincessJenn. <3

This was an amazing book - maybe too touchy-feely for some, but exactly what I needed: many sniffly moments where I needed to reach for the Kleenex. Great book for anyone doubting their own beauty.
Michelle Couey
starting the group today here at school after reading the inspiration tragic book of personal stories of women going through self help tactics and an undergraound community that embraces your beauty however you define it!
Carol
A phenomenal idea. I do think if a person has an eating disorder, this book should be a supplement to professional treatment. This book is positive and I love the idea of helping others as well as yourself.
Ginny
I have been in love with operationbeautiful.com ever since I first heard about. I was so excited to find this book in my library this week. Two other great websites: kindovermatter.com and iloveyoucards.org
Kenaia
This is a a marvelous collection of inspirational and true bits of self-esteem. I highly suggest anyone struggling even mildly with any self-image issues read this book- it's very sweet and genuinely moving.
Chiara Rose
This book really made me respect my body so much more and make me comfortable with myself. It is so great to see so many other girls who want to help each other and not hurt each other with judgements! :)
Lauren
So far, it's a great book! It's quite inspirational to see how many people have been affected by this movement. I'm working on getting my girls at school to see themselves in a more positive light.
Tracie
Of all the inspirational books out there, this one takes the prize as one of the bests.

Operation Beautiful is an amazing organization, and this book was the perfect companion to the blog.
Tina
This book found me at a time when I needed some positive self talk and encouragement, I would recommend it to anyone who would like ideas on how to build up their self esteem or that of a loved one.
Amy
mostly skimmed through the book to read the post-its...i wasn't as into the "self-help" aspect of it, but the operation beautiful post-its always make me smile :)
Lauren
Great message, but not what I thought it was originally.
I was expecting more of a chapter type book, this was mostly pictures with text to explain them.
Leslie
Great self-help book, it will also help others at the same time. Everyone should read this. It can be a bit repetative due to the nature of the book.
Julie
As self-help, positive thinking books go this one was painless and sweet. Best for the 15 to 25 year olds in the female world.
Clarice
Jun 01, 2011 Clarice marked it as to-read
Got this book and handed it straight to my teenage daughter, I love it! Might need to start carrying post it notes in my purse :)
  • Hip Tranquil Chick: A Guide to Life On and Off the Yoga Mat
  • Carrots 'N' Cake: Healthy Living One Carrot and Cupcake at a Time
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • The Hite Report
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • Run Your Butt Off!: A Breakthrough Plan to Shed Pounds and Start Running (No Experience Necessary!)
  • SoulPancake: Chew on Life's Big Questions
  • Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom
  • When Perfect Isn't Good Enough: Strategies for Coping with Perfectionism
  • Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
Healthy Tipping Point: A Powerful Program for a Stronger, Happier You Operation Beautiful for Best Friends Operation Beautiful: One Note at a Time