Start by marking “Awakening Avery” as Want to Read:
Awakening Avery

Awakening Avery

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Venturing out on her own again is challenging for Avery, whose experiences at the Ringling's magnificent Ca d'Zan mansion, and with the quirky characters she meets there, eventually awaken her to truths she has long forgotten-that as crazy as life can be, it is possible to laugh and love again.
Published April 1st 2010 by Walnut Springs Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening Avery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening Avery

Brenda
Every once in a while I like to change things up and read a book that is by a Christian writer. I won this book, it was written by an LDS author. The story was extremely well written. There was a story or two within the main story and I won't go into it more so I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it yet, it was really engaging the more that I read it. I couldn't wait to get to the end!

Some times I feel as if the story is more about the author wanting to include their relious views on th
Sheila
Laurie Lewis, well known as L.C. Lewis, author of the "Free Men and Dreamers" historical fiction series, has written a heart warming and very emotionally driven book. There are many feelings that are brought up in the reader as this novel progresses. I was hooked from the very first page.

"Everyone knew it was inevitable-everyone but Avery Elkins Thompson herself. She smashed the television first, though she hadn't intended to. She had fumbled with the remote for ten minutes, trying to figure out
Valerie Steimle
I am a widow. Avery’s a widow. My husband died at 50. Avery’s husband died in his 50’s. I have nine children. Avery has 3 children. I am of the LDS faith. Avery is of the LDS faith. I have a lot in common with Avery. Laurie Lewis’s new book called Awakening Avery could have been my journal entry for the first year I lost my husband. There are many similarities and it is incredible to see how this story unfolds for Avery and her family.

This is an amazing story of one woman’s journey for peace aft
Rayni
Jul 11, 2010 Rayni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rayni by: The book leaped into my arms.
This was an unput-downable book. I would have read it in one sitting, if I could have. As it was, I'd grudgingly put it down to do what I HAD to do. And then stayed up way too late, finishing it.

The book leaped into my arms as I was leaving the library. Our librarians put new books on bookshelves as you enter/leave the library. I wasn't sure who the author was, I'd never heard of her, but I couldn't deny the book & turned back to check it out with my other books. Of course, the fact that the
Anne
I opened Awakening Avery by Laurie Lewis with great anticipation because I thoroughly enjoyed reading all Laurie’s other books. I was not disappointed. This is a delightful, thought provoking novel that left me satisfied and uplifted.

Although the main character, Avery, is older than many heroines, two romantic subplots that run alongside the main story make the book one that I’m sure will appeal to both young and old. Laurie has a way of moving readers to laughter, tears, and deep pondering. I r
Lynne
I liked this book. The story is sweet and shows how everyone struggles and copes in a different way. The characters are likable. Unrealistic scenarios, but what fiction doesn't have something that is a stretch. The only thing that bugged me was the editorial job (publisher). There are several places in the book where the wrong character name is used. There are also several typo's such as using the instead of it or having an extra word in the sentence. Kind of distracting.
Lisa Swinton
An emotional journey is the best way to describe this book. It is very character driven.

It's rich with brilliant description that really bring the characters and settings to life. Of course, I benefit personally by having been to Baltimore on a regular basis and having vacationed on Anna Maria Island as well. Both have unique beauty and charm.

There are a lot of tangled up hearts and relationships to unravel. Ms. Lewis works the tension just right and keeps the pace moving.

It's a great beach read
Kathryn
Betsy Love
Awakening Avery, written by Laurie Lewis is a clean romance I thoroughly enjoyed This is not your typical romance, first of all our protagonist is not in her twenties—she’s in her forties and suffering from depression. Avery has lost her husband to a heart attack leaving this widow with a married daughter, a son who has recently come home from a mission, and another getting ready to leave on one. To heal Avery heal, her oldest son coaxes her to spend the summer in Florida on a beautiful island. ...more
Ashley Sutton-daniels
Jun 13, 2010 Ashley Sutton-daniels rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls, Girls, Girls
Recommended to Ashley by: First Reads
This book was great! I blew through it, 8 days which is huge for me just getting back into reading all the time. Also I should state I won this via Goodreads First-reads & I do plan on reading more of this authors works now!

Mrs. Lewis did such a great job writing this book, that I had to keep reading in order to find out what would happen in these characters lives next. Plus although there was technically only one main character (Avery), I loved how the book showed the lives intertwined with
Taffy

I haven't read any work by this author and after reading this book I might try her other works.
Avery, the main character, has lost her husband and in a sense, has lost herself. She travels to a favorite family place to find and renew herself. Along the way, she meets and introduces us to many intriguing people.
Laurie has given us a book with many characters and their stories, all woven together. I had no problem picturing each character and hearing their voices. Like the Texans, Teddie and Rider
Theresa Sneed
Fabulous book! Laurie Lewis' Awakening Avery is well written and quite entertaining. Ms. Lewis has a strong talent for placing her characters in not only believable locations, but in believable situations. I found her writing to stay true to her characters. As a reader, I could feel Avery's spiritual and emotional journey as she dealt with the loss of her husband and the loss of her desire to delve into the most personal part of herself—her writing. I was intrigued from the beginning of the book ...more
Heather Murphy
This book was interesting enough to keep me wanting to keep reading it all the way through. There were some great characters, lovely locations, and emotional interactions.

*******don't read forward if you haven't read unless you want to giveaway something that doesn't really matter anyway to the plot***

I thought those 2 daughters were stuck up and ditsy so I don't understand why they were a catch for those nice young men. But I suppose looks do mean a lot to guys.
Renee
I didn't realize this book was LDS fiction when I entered the contest to win it. The references to the Mormon faith are not as in your face as some evangelical Christian works are but rather at times vague, almost as if the author is hoping you'll go looking to learn more. I am not interested in converting but the overall storyline of the lives of two widows was very good. I liked how the author brought them into each others lives....
Brenda
An emotionally compelling story that gripped me from the start. A story of a woman's struggles to overcome the death of her husband and learn to function again within a family and the outside world. Well written insight into loss and grieving, yet filled with hope and second chances. Several interesting stories within the story. I fell in love with her characters quickly and laughed and cried with them :)
Heather
The first chapter or two were painfully boring to me. However, once I got through those it definately picked up and became an entertaining story. Very predictable and way too many people converted to the gospel, but, hey we can all dream, right? That aside, I did enjoy it.
Heather
I've previously read a book by Laurie Lewis, which I really liked, so I was disappointed to find that I didn't care for this one. I found the main character to be whiny and I just didn't enjoy the overall plot. This book may be for someone else, but not for me.
Danyelle Ferguson
Awakening Avery was one of the best fiction novels I've read in a least a year - possibly more. There was so much depth and layers to the story. I was completely engrossed. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves drama, romance, and redemption.
Annissa
This made for a very interesting read. It made me think of how I would respond if the situations of becoming a widow, like the main character experienced. It was a thought provoking book that shed new light on the subject.
Heather
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The characters were full of life and believable. The book made me think about the way I am raising my children and how that will impact them when they are older.
Cleo
This is a pretty good mid life crisis book with a Mormon slant. I enjoyed it for light reading. Fast read.
Lori
Amazing book! It really made me think - about my relationships, about life. Thanks Laurie!!!
Hillary
I'll have a review posted soon! I'm getting behind!!!
Vicki
May 07, 2010 Vicki marked it as to-read
Shelves: lds-fiction
I am looking forward to reading this book soon!
Stacey
May 12, 2010 Stacey marked it as to-read
Won in the first reads contest.
Debbie
This was a very good book.
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Faelynn
Faelynn marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
  • Chocolate Roses
  • Flaherty's Crossing
  • Secret Keepers: A Novel
  • Time Treasure
  • Sand in My Eyes
  • Summer Sanctuary
  • A Heart to Mend
  • Murder by Yew (Edna Davies, #1)
  • Moonlighting In Vermont (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #1)
  • Denting the Bosch: A Novel of Marriage, Friendship, and Expensive Household Appliances
  • Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)
  • Hang'em High (Secret Sisters Mystery #3)
  • The Embers
  • Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3)
  • Kevin My Military Man
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • Band of Sisters  (Band Of Sisters, #1)
  • The Ball's in Her Court
I'm a craft-challenged, fifty-something LDS wife, mother, grandmother and novelist. My seventh novel, "In God is Our Trust" the fifth and final volume of my FREE MEN and DREAMERS series, debuted in November 2011. I'm currently taking a little sabattical while I kick back for a while and concentrate on spoiling my cute grandkids.

FREE MEN and DREAMERS followers will notice changes to my covers over
More about Laurie L.C. Lewis...
Dark Sky at Dawn Twilight's Last Gleaming Dawn's Early Light Oh, Say Can You See? Unspoken