The Informer: A Novel

The Informer: A Novel

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Berlin in 1930 is a city of dark paranoia and covert power struggles, where violence can erupt at any moment. The Brownshirts dominate the streets, but the Red Front is building its insurgence.

Gaelle, a beautiful but desperate young prostitute with a scar across one side of her face, trades in something far more powerful—and dangerous—than sex: information. To possess her,...more
Published March 16th 2010 by Crown (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Informer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Informer

Nancy Oakes
I liked this book -- it appeals to the part of me that loves intelligence in the written word. As a work of historical fiction, it is very well written.

The Informer is set in Berlin at the end of Germany's Weimar Republic (1918-1933) and Germany's politics are fractured among the lines of three main political groups: the Communists, the various right-wing groups (including but not limited to the Nazis), and the prevailing Socialist government. On the streets these divisions often play out as bra...more
Tim
The Informer is a thrilling and engaging novel in the tradition of Graham Greene and Alan Furst. With taut prose and a dark plot, Nova sets two characters - the scarred yet appealing prostitute, Gaelle, and the police inspector, Armina, on a collision course amid the backdrop of 1930s Berlin.

Nova masterfully develops in The Informer the intrigue and suspense that you expect from the best literary thrillers. Fans of Furst's spy novels as well as detective thrillers from the likes of Stieg Larsso...more
Beth
Interesting story focused around 2 women in pre-war Berlin. 1 a prostitute and the other a homicide cop. Well written in the sense that you can feel the city, smell it, sense the claustrophobic nature of an ever-increasing police state. I enjoyed the 2 main characters and the general story. The mood and the story itself are good.

I do not get, however, the reviews that say how well written the entire book is. In fact, I was sure I was reading a translation into English from whatever language it...more
Norris Battin
One of my favorite genres set in one of my favorite periods. Characters seem just a bit distorted however yet they are strangely compelling. Very interesting to read about the "unterkreig" (my neologism) instead of "battles and leaders."
Stephen
The Informer by Craig Nova puts yet another notch on the belt of an author with an already stellar body of work that so many people have not yet been fortunate enough to discover. Currently, I am reading The Congressman's Daughter and recently, I finished his most recent novel before The Informer -- Cruisers -- and I can't help but be simultaneously addicted to the elegant restraint of his prose and the raw power with which he delves into the human soul.

In The Informer, Nova takes readers to Be...more
Thomas
Craig Nova's THE INFORMER is a haunting, evocative novel set in Berlin in the early 1930s. The story moves between three main characters: a disfigured prostitute named Gaelle; her physically handicaped pimp Felix; and Armina, a female police investigator who is trying to stop a serial killer who is preying on women. Set against the backdrop of pre-war Germany, there is an undeniable spookiness to the plot, which is greatly enhanced by Nova's vivid and sensual prose. The images--dead bodies, figh...more
Mathiãs
Well written and contains a lot of fun factual info. Nice time piece as well.
Carmen
A strange but highly compelling book set in Berlin right before the war. In this decadent place, Gaelle is a marked woman. She has a burn mark on half of her face. This has led to major psychological problems. She rejects her family, as she feels they have rejected her, and becomes a street walker. This too gives her no peace. She finds out information, and has to decide if she should tell or keep it quiet. Her choice becomes her death sentence.
Roger
My first Craig Nova book but not the last. A little difficult to follow in the beginning and some big time jumps at the end, but the characters were great. I thought Gaelle was going to be the main character, but I was wrong. Very interesting and nicely detailed novel. Not a really complicated plot, but interesting nonetheless.
Joanne
Story about a serial murderer in 1930 Berlin and a woman detective. Finishes in 1945 Berlin. I enjoyed the story, but the writing style was terse - felt like it was translated from German. Not inclined to read anything else by this author.
GlenK
I had hoped that given the time period and location (1930 Berlin) this would be a compelling mystery thriller. Unfortunately, the plot meandered and the characters and setting were poorly drawn. I was very disappointed.
Leaking Lewis
Love this historical period. I found the plot interesting but the dialogue didn't ring true to me. The book had many accolades but I just don't think people communicated in such an abbreviated manner.
Joanne
This was just not my cup of tea - espionage in 1930 Europe. Didn't care for the characters and the plot was not something I was interested in. Read about 3/4 of it and gave it up :(
Brian
I've read some reviews that criticize lack of character depth, blah blah blah. This story was dark and tragic. Loved it!
Linda
Good mystery! This is a thematic thriller set in pre-world war II. Good characterizations and plot.
Joel Goldman
Interesting book, well written but dragged at times. Had to stick with it. Glad I did.
Rick Edwards
Well written, beautiful descriptive passages. Dark. A good read.
Cathy Stewart
It was good, but I got distracted and had to return it to the library
Robin
very hard to follow the story line.
Raina Parikh
Raina Parikh is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Tamela
Tamela marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kim Killian
Kim Killian marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Steve Saunders
Steve Saunders marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Stormnangel
Stormnangel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014