Start by marking “Love by Design: Loving Jack / Best Laid Plans” as Want to Read:
Love by Design: Loving Jack / Best Laid Plans

Love by Design: Loving Jack / Best Laid Plans (Love by Design: Jack's Stories #1-2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,818 ratings  ·  56 reviews
From beloved New York Times-bestselling author Roberts comes a two-in-one volume featuring classic stories where love just doesn't happen, it is designed. Includes Loving Jack and Best Laid Plans.
Published April 1st 2010 by Silhouette (first published January 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Love by Design, please sign up.

Lisa Yes, I have "Love by Design" published in 2003 that has these two stories in it.

Dos libros en uno. Dos historias de amor PRECIOSAS. El sello inconfundible de Nora Roberts. ¡La adoro! ...more
This is two loosely connected stories by Ms. Roberts.

Loving Jack--
Jackie MacNamara is a bit of a free spirit. Her current goal is to pen a novel, and her cousin finds her a gorgeous home to do it in. Naturally her sneaky cousin fails to tell her that he isn't free to lease her the home, and when Nathan Powell, a straight-laced architect, returns unexpectedly from trip to a job site, the two of them are in a bit of a pickle.

Nathan's carefully kept his life neat and ordered for years, but somethin
I remember liking these books a lot more the first time I read them. Granted, I was 13.
Classic Nora.....I'll just leave it at that. I really enjoyed this one.
This book has two stories. Both stories are good. That's all
Sarah Jan
As always, a good easy satisfying read
Bronwyn Rykiert
I enjoyed these 2 stories, they were easy flowing.

Loving Jack

Jackie McNarmara has never been able to settle into anything for the long haul and when her dubious cousin Fred asked her if she would take over the looking after a friend's house while he was away she jumped at the chance (mind you it cost her $3000. When she saw the house she thought it would be a great place to write her novel (her latest plan was to be a novelist) but when architect Nathan Powell arrived home to find someone there
Syeda Nessa
Loving Jack

Jackie is an impulsive person. She takes many careers that interests her, but never sticking to one. Now she is a writer and believes that this may the career she may ne looking for. She has a very imaginative mind and believes being writer will allow her use it and finally she will be able to use her vast knowledge that she obtained from her previous careers. A mistake made by her cousin had her living with the very stable Nathan Powell. Nathan intrigues and fascinates her. She is i
Consists of 2 connected category romances from 1989, Loving Jack which was wonderful - a crazy pixie chick heroine and a staid nerdier hero, who have to loive together unexpectedly for a while. The heroine Jack(Jaqueline) really made this story for me becos she was unconventional, sweet, came from a loving family and embraced everything in life head on. The conflict came from the hero's unloving childhood and his subsequent need to never get involved.

Second story - Best Laid Plans, connection pr
Alexandra Jordan
In "Loving Jack" i love the two characters and how different they appear to each other. Its amazing...from the moment i started reading it i couldn't put the book down. The kisses were perfect...i think Jackie's really funny and different from all the other heroins,she's not scared of telling people how she feels about them...she's open, cheerful and great company. Nathan and Jackie's character contrasts makes the story even more interesting and enjoyable.
"Best laid plans" was sexy,funny,interes
Cristina Aguado rodriguez
Segundo libro de este dúo. Me ha gustado mucho también. Se nota que está escrito hace unos añitos, pero la verdad es que tanto los personajes, como la historia me ha gustado mucho. Ya me llamaba la atención Cody cuando le conocimos en el anterior, y no ha decepcionado para nada. Y ese problema en la obra crea una tensión especial que me enganchó totalmente en la última parte del libro.
Natalie Mullan

Sold in Australia as 'The Plan' containing 2 novels in one. Perfectly Nora Roberts, not a word, phrase or idea you won't enjoy if you are a Robert's fan. Enjoyable, relaxed, easy reading with the as expected ending - satisfying!
Going Home is another collection of Roberts earlier works that contains the stories of "Loving Jack" and "Best Laid Plans". I loved them both. I thought both stories were well thought out with great characters. I especially loved how the women were independent and stubborn. I also must add that the twist at the end of "Best Laid Plans" was worth the read. Ofcourse, there are those infamous "love scenes" these type of books are known for. However, I found they were few and far between and thought ...more
Leigh Griffin
While the stories are a little dated, the characters in "Best Laid Plans" were some of my favorites in the Nora Roberts books that I have read so far.
Both stories were fun to read.
read loving jack by this date
Ok this book was cheesier than cheese romance. My mother gave it to me because she really liked it, but I really dislike these kinds of overly descriptive books that leave very little up to the imagination and the plot was almost nonexistent. Normally I would have quit reading after the first few chapters, but I hate leaving books unfinished. It was so bad however that it took me forever to finish. The first half was worse than the second half in my opinion though, so if you still decide to read ...more
This book is another compilation of two of Roberts' older Silhouette books, Loving Jack and Best Laid Plans. These both feature main characters who are architects--the one in the the latter book is a minor character in the first, and both the main characters in the first show up at the end of the second.

The four stars are really for the first book. I liked the characters a lot, and several times they made me laugh out loud. I didn't really start out liking the second book, but it got better. I g
Donna Hatch-Moore
Nora Roberts has not disappointed me.
Another double by Nora that are similar but the sexes of the protaginst changes and the stories are related, not like a serial, but including the same people in smaller roles from the first book. I enjoy the ride when I read this romantic novels. It brings back my youth. In both novels, both people fall in love with the other and just can't believe the other can be in love with them. Lots of angst and unrequited love until they realize the truth. Let people know how you feel if it's important to ...more
This is actually two novels - I'm almost through Loving Jack... Mooched this after reading Lawless which is the novel the heroine is writing in this one.

Not sure when these were written, but they feel a bit dated to me. In Best Laid Plans, Cody's behavior seemed a bit extreme - he certainly doesn't hear a "no" when he doesn't want to, and it irked me a bit that that was ok.
Slight preference for that one anyway.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The book cover is unforgettable and I still have it on my bookshelf and can tell you exactly where it is located. The story itself, I must admit I can't remember. I went through a phase of reading every Nora Roberts book because I love her stories. I still do. My tastes have changed where romance now doesn't do it for me, but I still think fondly of those times.
I like the second story more then the first. I think Cody and Abra are great together and their banter is so funny.

I did like the Jack and Nathan story at the end. Though Jack did exasperate me a little too. Poor Nathan.
Dec 30, 2008 Connie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Nora fans
Shelves: already-read
So Nora does it again. These two stories were great. The characters were fun and easy to love. It made me sad when they ended, I wanted them to go on for at least the next 50 years so I could watch them all grow and thrive.
Darlene Roy
Really liked both of the stories Jackie and Nathan was a hoot the way she worked Nathan and Cody and Abra I liked the way the story had a little twist at the end. I recommend this book with two stories as a good read.
I think I've just read too many of Robert's books at one time because these two just bothered me. I hate to say I didn't finish either of them! Maybe one day I'll revisit them once I've had a break.
Jan 15, 2009 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Not her best work, and even her best work isn't my favorite. The novels are read because they're cute, funny, and formulaic. Not good literature by any means, but enjoyable nonetheless.
This was a nice romance novel with 2 stories. Though I like a little more action most times, this book was nice after hours with 2 little boys bouncing off the walls! =D
Okay, I admit. Nora Roberts romance novels are my guilty pleasure. Especially if they are set in Ireland... ahhhh. Been to busy to read one for a long time though :)
  • Texans at Heart
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • The Dark Viscount
  • My Nerdy Valentine (Nerds, #7)
  • Blame It on Chocolate
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Awakening Avery
  • A Heart to Mend
  • The Handfasting
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Almost Innocent (Almost, #1)
  • Luck Be a Lady (West Investigations, #2)
  • The Wife Test (Brides of Virtue, 1)
  • Sooner or Later
  • Denting the Bosch: A Novel of Marriage, Friendship, and Expensive Household Appliances
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • The Morcai Battalion (The Morcai Battalion #1)
  • Eye of the Beholder
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

Love by Design: Jack's Stories (4 books)
  • Lawless (Loving Jack, #3)
  • Loving Jack (Silhouette Special Edition #499)
  • Best Laid Plans (Loving Jack, #2)
  • Palavras da alma (Loving Jack, #1 #2 #3)