Love by Design: Loving Jack\Best Laid Plans

Love by Design: Loving Jack\Best Laid Plans (Love by Design: Jack's Stories #1-2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,572 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Somehow her own fictional brooding hero had turned up in person right under her own roof, and now all romance writer Jackie MacNamara had to do was convince stubborn Nathan Powell that happily-ever-after began at home�and in her arms.…

She was the sexiest thing in a hard hat that architect Cody Johnson had ever seen, but structural engineer Abra Wilson also had a will as st

Published April 1st 2010 by Silhouette (first published January 1989)

Fedora
This is two loosely connected stories by Ms. Roberts.

Loving Jack--
Jackie MacNamara is a bit of a free spirit. Her current goal is to pen a novel, and her cousin finds her a gorgeous home to do it in. Naturally her sneaky cousin fails to tell her that he isn't free to lease her the home, and when Nathan Powell, a straight-laced architect, returns unexpectedly from trip to a job site, the two of them are in a bit of a pickle.

Nathan's carefully kept his life neat and ordered for years, but somethin...more
I remember liking these books a lot more the first time I read them. Granted, I was 13.
Tiffany
Classic Nora.....I'll just leave it at that. I really enjoyed this one.
Andrea
This book has two stories. Both stories are good. That's all
Sarah Jan
As always, a good easy satisfying read
Bronwyn Rykiert
I enjoyed these 2 stories, they were easy flowing.

Loving Jack

Jackie McNarmara has never been able to settle into anything for the long haul and when her dubious cousin Fred asked her if she would take over the looking after a friend's house while he was away she jumped at the chance (mind you it cost her $3000. When she saw the house she thought it would be a great place to write her novel (her latest plan was to be a novelist) but when architect Nathan Powell arrived home to find someone there...more
Syeda Nessa
Loving Jack

Jackie is an impulsive person. She takes many careers that interests her, but never sticking to one. Now she is a writer and believes that this may the career she may ne looking for. She has a very imaginative mind and believes being writer will allow her use it and finally she will be able to use her vast knowledge that she obtained from her previous careers. A mistake made by her cousin had her living with the very stable Nathan Powell. Nathan intrigues and fascinates her. She is i...more
Elisabeth
Consists of 2 connected category romances from 1989, Loving Jack which was wonderful - a crazy pixie chick heroine and a staid nerdier hero, who have to loive together unexpectedly for a while. The heroine Jack(Jaqueline) really made this story for me becos she was unconventional, sweet, came from a loving family and embraced everything in life head on. The conflict came from the hero's unloving childhood and his subsequent need to never get involved.

Second story - Best Laid Plans, connection pr...more
Alexandra Jordan
In "Loving Jack" i love the two characters and how different they appear to each other. Its amazing...from the moment i started reading it i couldn't put the book down. The kisses were perfect...i think Jackie's really funny and different from all the other heroins,she's not scared of telling people how she feels about them...she's open, cheerful and great company. Nathan and Jackie's character contrasts makes the story even more interesting and enjoyable.
"Best laid plans" was sexy,funny,interes...more
K
Going Home is another collection of Roberts earlier works that contains the stories of "Loving Jack" and "Best Laid Plans". I loved them both. I thought both stories were well thought out with great characters. I especially loved how the women were independent and stubborn. I also must add that the twist at the end of "Best Laid Plans" was worth the read. Ofcourse, there are those infamous "love scenes" these type of books are known for. However, I found they were few and far between and thought...more
Leigh Griffin
While the stories are a little dated, the characters in "Best Laid Plans" were some of my favorites in the Nora Roberts books that I have read so far.
Ok this book was cheesier than cheese romance. My mother gave it to me because she really liked it, but I really dislike these kinds of overly descriptive books that leave very little up to the imagination and the plot was almost nonexistent. Normally I would have quit reading after the first few chapters, but I hate leaving books unfinished. It was so bad however that it took me forever to finish. The first half was worse than the second half in my opinion though, so if you still decide to read...more
Debbie
This book is another compilation of two of Roberts' older Silhouette books, Loving Jack and Best Laid Plans. These both feature main characters who are architects--the one in the the latter book is a minor character in the first, and both the main characters in the first show up at the end of the second.

The four stars are really for the first book. I liked the characters a lot, and several times they made me laugh out loud. I didn't really start out liking the second book, but it got better. I g...more
Dad
Another double by Nora that are similar but the sexes of the protaginst changes and the stories are related, not like a serial, but including the same people in smaller roles from the first book. I enjoy the ride when I read this romantic novels. It brings back my youth. In both novels, both people fall in love with the other and just can't believe the other can be in love with them. Lots of angst and unrequited love until they realize the truth. Let people know how you feel if it's important to...more
penelopewanders
This is actually two novels - I'm almost through Loving Jack... Mooched this after reading Lawless which is the novel the heroine is writing in this one.

Not sure when these were written, but they feel a bit dated to me. In Best Laid Plans, Cody's behavior seemed a bit extreme - he certainly doesn't hear a "no" when he doesn't want to, and it irked me a bit that that was ok.
Slight preference for that one anyway.
Andrea
I like the second story more then the first. I think Cody and Abra are great together and their banter is so funny.

I did like the Jack and Nathan story at the end. Though Jack did exasperate me a little too. Poor Nathan.
Connie
Dec 30, 2008 Connie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Nora fans
Shelves: already-read
So Nora does it again. These two stories were great. The characters were fun and easy to love. It made me sad when they ended, I wanted them to go on for at least the next 50 years so I could watch them all grow and thrive.
Darlene Roy
Really liked both of the stories Jackie and Nathan was a hoot the way she worked Nathan and Cody and Abra I liked the way the story had a little twist at the end. I recommend this book with two stories as a good read.
Traci
I think I've just read too many of Robert's books at one time because these two just bothered me. I hate to say I didn't finish either of them! Maybe one day I'll revisit them once I've had a break.
Megan
Jan 15, 2009 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Not her best work, and even her best work isn't my favorite. The novels are read because they're cute, funny, and formulaic. Not good literature by any means, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Emily
This was a nice romance novel with 2 stories. Though I like a little more action most times, this book was nice after hours with 2 little boys bouncing off the walls! =D
Lauri
Okay, I admit. Nora Roberts romance novels are my guilty pleasure. Especially if they are set in Ireland... ahhhh. Been to busy to read one for a long time though :)
Janelle Russell harris
This book had alot of funny quirks, I loved the scenarios of both stories and treasured how the writer made me fall in love with all of the characters
Maggie
I really liked this book. Probably one of my favorite NR story line. This is probably due to my interest in both architecture and engineering.
Ally
I really fell for Jack which makes a change I think she's a wonderful character within this book and makes you laugh your way through it.
Esme
I always enjoy Nora Roberts, but this isn't her best work.
Elita
I did not enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed some of her more recent ones. I believe Nora Roberts has improved over time.
Wertung erstmal nur für "Geheimrezept zum Glücklichsein".
Längere Besprechung folgt. (Irgendwann...)
Joana M.
LOVING JACK 3.5

BEST LAID PLANS 2
  • Too Hot to Handle
  • Born in Death (In Death, #23)
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • Charming Lily
  • Blame It on Chocolate
  • Sooner or Later
  • Almost Innocent
  • The Dawn Stag (Dalriada Trilogy, #2)
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • Luck Be a Lady (West Investigations, #2)
  • Riley
  • After Midnight
  • Simply Sensual (Simply, #3)
  • The Stepmother
  • All About Evie (Chameleon Chronicles, #1)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...