The Sleep of the Gods

The Sleep of the Gods

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What would you do if you--and only you--learned the end of the world was about to occur? Unfortunately for Catherine Hayesly, she's about to find out. It had been six long years since Catherine Hayesly's last vacation. In another few weeks she and her family would finally commence their dream trip of a lifetime. But then came the call. The one her high-ranking military hus...more
Published November 2nd 2009 by James E.\Sperl

Patrick Gibson
For the first quarter of this book you don’t know what went wrong. (I can’t refer to pages any more since the Kindle denotes reading progress in percent). But, something happened. And neither you, nor the main characters are privy to this information. All we know: Catherine and her children had been planning for the end of the world for many years when her husband suddenly calls with the coded phrase telling her to get on the boat and go. She and her three children proceed to the middle of the A...more
Mari Stroud
The world-building and ultimate big bad of this book is fantastically original. Human instincts are geared towards avoiding the dark and sticking in the light as much as possible; by turning daylight into the enemy, Sperl creates an imaginative and suspenseful dilemma for our heroes. I also loved the idea of a parasitic but sentient life form being the thing that ultimately took out humanity, the parallels to our own effect on the planet were obvious. It also gave the villains some damned chilli...more
Renée
I really didn't know what to expect but decided to download this to my kindle since it was virtually free! I really enjoyed this read. I love a doomsday, end-of-the-world, sci-fi book and this story really satisfied all these. Yes, there is a little cheesiness to parts and a few cliché type characters but for the most part it is right on the mark and a good read. If you have a kindle and love books you just can't pass up this deal.
Kelly Willcoxbrackeen
Fantastic! I first read this book back when I purchased my first kindle four years ago. I still remember every detail of it. This story sticks with you. This author creates imagery so horrifying and emotional that I still imagine the main characters and their journey when I close my eyes. I predict a lot of endings to a lot of stories I read too but not this one. Good editing. Nice job Mr. Sperl.
Debra Slonek
A suburban mom who was planning the vacation of a lifetime, was suddenly thrown into a global nightmare. She and her three children had their endurance and their will to live tested and pushed to the max. Friendships and alliances were forged and enemies were identified and fought. The characters were developed in such a way that I grew to care about them. An exciting and suspenseful read!
Kallierose
The premise was intriguing - who doesn't enjoy a good apocalypse. But the writing seemed amateurish and there were some serious plot issues that were simply ignored. I found myself skimming quite a bit, skipping entire pages towards the end, because I wanted to know how the story would end, but didn't want to take the time to read through all the long, drawn-out action sequences.
Will Wesson
Not totally awful, but of course there were parts where I wondered if someone might have slipped me powerful drugs. It does that thing where the author doesn't really understand guns or tactics, so neither do any of the characters, even though they ought to. Still, a good concept, pretty tightly written, and well developed characters for the genre.
Lana
This was a good book. I like books about survival and people overcoming adversity. The family in this story and is believable if not somewhat dysfunctional. The story is ok but**** spoiler alert*** I think that the zombie thing has been done to much lately. I will read more by this author.
Beth
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I didn't want to put it down. Lots of action and good character development.
Tina Stewart bryant
Had so much fun reading this book! Action packed and riveting! Great book to take on vacation, as I had ample time to read and read!
Jason
A surprise by all means. I am a apocalypse reader this was a good one. Not to keen on the New Human thing but still a good book.
Joan
May 16, 2010 Joan added it
A mother has the tenacity to care for her three children after an apocalyptc event occurs. Lots of action and surprises.
Riley Ray
KInd of eh for an apocalypse story. Not a ton to recommend it.
Cathy
I loved this...didn't want to put it down!
John Rossi
Great read. Couldn't put it down!
Dee Joseph
Dee Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Delabe
Delabe added it
May 10, 2014
Juanita
Juanita marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
James was born near Grand Forks AFB in North Dakota, and has spent much of his life moving from place to place, eager to see what the next great experience has to offer. Currently, he enjoys "la dolce vita" with his beautiful wife and two boys in Tuscany, Italy, a dream come true if there ever was one.

A lover of stories for as long as he can remember, James began his foray into the literary world...more
More about James Sperl...
The Ring Sideland (Sideland Trilogy, #1) The Mosquito Syndrome Centrinis (Sideland Trilogy, #2) Sideland (Book One)