Murmel, Murmel, Murmel

Murmel, Murmel, Murmel

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  976 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Robin discovers a baby in her backyard sandbox (it can only say "Murmel, murmel...") and sets out on a series of hilarious adventures, trying to find it a home.
Published November 1st 1982 by Annick Press

Amberly
My favorite part of this whole book is the very last illustration with the girl in the truck.
Emily
Munschworks collection
David
Murmel, Murmel, Murmel by Robert N. Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko, is a hilarious story about a girl, Robin, who finds a baby in a sandbox. After a series of attempts ro find the baby a home, Robin finally succeeds, & receives a special present.

Great illustrations carry this story along. The conclusion reminds me a bit of Fire Station. This can be a good read-aloud.

For ages 4 to 7, humor and baby themes, and fans of Robert N. Munsch & Michael Martchenko..
Shannon
I chose this for my 3-5 year old creative drama class. I chose this because I adore The Paper Bag Princess and was looking for another interesting female protagonist, Robin is a pretty interesting character. Love the cadence of this book and the premise is fancicul and sweet. The girls chose their own character and then had one line concerning why they could not care for a baby. Perfect to revisit in the cirriculum later!
Nathan Trevor
I've been going back and forth on this rating from 2 stars to 3. In the end I've decided on 2 stars, because this just doesn't live up to the better Munsch books, in my opinion. I like the idea, but I think there was something missing. It was certainly a little silly, and the ending even made me laugh a bit. The illustrations are up to par too. I can't put my finger on what I felt was missing.
Kate
Jan 16, 2014 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Recommended by Teacher Tom
Edwina Hall Callan
Not surprised to see this on the banned books list.
Creepy little story about a 5 year old girl who finds a baby buried in her sandbox and then walks all over town with the baby trying to give it away to complete strangers. *shudders*
Not something I would have read to my children when they were small.
Kirstin Kemppainen
This is a story about a young girl who finds a baby in her sandbox! All the baby says is "murmel, murmel, murmel". After many attempts to get rid of the baby she finally comes across a truck driver who says he needs the baby! And trades the baby for a truck! Very amusing cute book :)
C-chan
This is among my favourite of Robert Munsch's books!

I love the baby, I love the use of seventeen (why seventeen, I don't know, but the repetition is great).

Also, I love that the baby says yes. It's kind of a deus ex machina but it's so perfect and I love it.
Kate
Classic Munsch but not the best of his classics. A hilarious read-aloud for storytime. The words/picture ratio is high though so this book would not be appropriate for children who are too young (more elementary school than preschool).
Ryan
I've started reading books to my son (he's due to be born in around six weeks). What better way to start than with a classic? If I'm planning on reading more Munsch, though, I need to work more on my voices.
Shannon
My class did a unit on readers' theatre once, and one group did the book "Murmel, Murmel, Murmel". They did such a great job, and the end makes this such a great story.
TheMcafeeKids
I like this book because the baby says murmel murmel murmel and comes out of the sandbox. The man had the baby and he gave her his truck. - C, age 4
Cindy Torres
a cute story about a girl who finds a baby in the sand box and go through alot of adventures together.

a very silly read.
Barb
if you have not read these to your children or to yourself, you are missing out on childrens literature at its finest
Sara Ansted
Um... a lot more random than I expected. Like in a weird way. I kinda still liked it, and kinda was like "Dude, what??"
Gillian
I really loved this one. It is a little odd but wonderful - the ending is the best!
Amanda Pfeifer
This is my son's favortie book right now! He can tell the story himself!
Alicia
Ha, love this one. Great commentary and such a cute ending.
Tara Hailer
My favorite Munsch book. I needed a baby too. :o)
Nadine
This is one of my very favorite Robert Munsch books!
Marlee
Very sweet, and very funny! Great book.
Heather
32 months - silly as Munsch always is.
Stacy Vance
Funny story. My students loved it.
Mark Nenadov
An amazing Munsch classic.
Liz
This one was sweet.
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Amanda Dozier
Amanda Dozier marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Jillian Jiggs
  • Red Is Best
  • Come Over to My House
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the In-Crowd
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • The Witch Next Door
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • Prince Cinders
  • The Hockey Sweater
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil...more
More about Robert Munsch...
Love You Forever The Paper Bag Princess Stephanie's Ponytail Thomas' Snowsuit Purple, Green and Yellow