Start by marking “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader” as Want to Read:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  107,073 ratings  ·  2,091 reviews
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? beginning readers:

These beloved children's stories are now available in beginning reader format.
With the important pre-reading concepts of rhyme, rhythm, and repetition, these picture books have long been used as beginning readers. Now, with a 6" x 9" trim and a classic beginning reader
Published July 20th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1967)

Joan yeah. Eric Carle has such good pictures it's like the whole character of any book he illustrates is comes from his pictures.

Amanda
Jan 19, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with children
Shelves: picture-books
Many people may not like this book or think it is too simple a book, not really a story. I think this is a great book. My children love it. It is a perfect book for young children who are just starting to learn letters, their sounds, and words. It is also a great book for those children who may not be great readers. When I taught first grade, I had a few students who weren't able to read. Their confindence level was low and we had a really hard time finding good books that they were able to read ...more
Jfk
Sep 15, 2008 Jfk rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Justin Smith and chimpanzees
Recommended to Jfk by: Pilar
Terrible characterization. Blue Horse? What the heck is that!? The plot is monotonous and dull. And the ending...a montage of scenes from the book, and not even a good one! The only thing I can say in its favor is that you can probably get through it in a couple of days.
Anittah
Bold move to not order the animals according to the ROY G BIV spectrum. Makes it slightly more challenging to memorize. I'm almost there, though.

My eleven week old daughter giggles like a maniac whenever I start reading this book to her, and she is particularly fascinated by the final page. Hence -- because of the maniacal gurgling and concurrent kicking -- five stars, although personally I found the narrative arc a bit flat.
midnightfaerie
Definitely one our favorite books. Great illustrations and fun to say out loud. All my kids pretty much have the book memorized so much so that we recite it in the car. Easy reading, but a good book for an older sibling to read to their younger siblings and a great way to learn colors. A book the whole family loves.
Shoeb Narot
‘Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?’ By Eric Carle.

This is another great picture book by Eric Carle. You could happily read it aloud and enjoy it with a young audience. The children have lots of opportunities to join in, as the book focuses on using rhythmic and repetitive texts throughout. The illustrations are fantastic, a combination of bright eye-catchy colours with lovely examples of tissue paper collages used to represent the animals in the story.

The book begins with the reader askin
Angie **loves angst**
My Kindergarteners made me read this to them five times on Friday at work. Five times!!!!! By the time I was done, I could tell every word to the story without looking at the pages. Some one please save me from pushy five year olds with a penchant for rhyming books.

description
Miranda
I wasn't really into this book when I was little, but this is my daughter's favorite book- so I have to give it 5 star props. Whenever we get to the black sheep, she yells out "BAAAAAA!"

Many mornings she wakes up and demands, "BOOK!" and if I don't pick this one, she yells, "Noooooooo! BOOOOK!" until I read her Brown Bear...
Beth F.
I've been eyeing this in the book store and thought it looked neat but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $13 on a brand new book that would just be drooled on and sat on and gnawed on and have the spine cracked while testing the physical limits on how far one can turn a page backwards.

And then great grandma sent it to us in a birthday package. Problem solved!

The first time we read this book my daughter had a reaction to every single turn of the page. She gasped, pointed and said things like, "OH!
Igolder
Subtexts: perspective, surveillance, paranoia!

I had to read this aloud maybe a hundred nights in a row before I noticed what the text was plainly saying: everyone thinks they are being watched! And ironically, they are the ones doing the watching! From the titular brown bear who is certain that the red bird is watching him/her, each animal is watching an animal and projecting that the very animal they watch, is watching them!

In reality, none of the projected watching is happening. Each animal is
Rossy
Colors, animals, rhymes, this is so lovely I want to sing!
Robin Mcilroy
This book is a child's fiction book that follows a rhythmic pattern throughout the story. It introduces colours and potentially new animals to children in a simple yet imaginative way. The story asks certain animals what they can see, to which they answer what they see looking at them. E.g. 'Brown Bear, brown Bear, what do you see?' ... 'I see a red bird looking at me'. This creative rhyming nature continues until the book finishes with a summary of all the animals and things that the 'children' ...more
Leslie
I love the slide and find edition of this book! It is a great way to get kids involved in the book and make it more interesting to them. The interactive feature of the book makes it that much more educational because the kids are learning more than just educational ideas, but also their motor skills. What I like most about this book is that it teaches children their colors and animals and is an easy read. The pictures in this book are much more than just pictures. The pictures are the exact colo ...more
Michele Stalmer
This book is a fantastic book for teaching children about colors and animals. It would be great to do as a story basket or as a flannel. Children will love the vivid colors and simple text of the book. By two my daughter was "reading" it own her own. It is also a great book to use if you are doing a unit on the five senses for seeing.
Chris
Jan 15, 2008 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 18 mos - 5
Shelves: children-s-books
I have read this story with my kids (now ages 4 and 3) for many months. The book progresses along in a question/response fashion. The words are simple and repetitive and the colors are plain but vibrant. I like the fact that I can deviate from the story and the words on the page to encourage my kids to think about other senses (what does the brown bear hear?), other animals (what would you call a white bear?), etc.

Much like Eric Carle's other books, the simplicity appeals to my kids and it perm
Halah
i want this in German language !
Asalyn Holliday
This book is great for teaching about rhymes and colors. It reminded me of Bill Martin Jr.'s other similar books such as Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? I think that these two books might work well in talking about the five senses as well.
Brad
I read this waaaaaaay too much, but it is a pretty groovy book to read aloud to the kids. The colours and animals are groovy. The art is amazing painted collage (I love collage, but that is the medium my beautiful artist wife works in, so I am biased), and the rhyme and rhythm really work. Give it a whirl for your girl and/or boy. They'll dig it, even if you get bored.
Efrain Guzman-Rosario
May 02, 2007 Efrain Guzman-Rosario rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents to read to children
Man!!! This is my all time favorite (Next to the Bible, of course)! Before this was a book, it was a hand out, that I received in Ft. Clayton, Panama in the Curundu Elementary School, where I learned English and refined it with Sesame Street/Plaza Sesamo.

I got this book to pass down an experience I once had.
Elizabeth
Readings held nightly anywhere from 7pm to 8pm... GBS,jr. invites you to his crib for the "mommy special".
Great book... my son turns the pages himself now and I often find him reading it himself in the mornings.
What a brilliant children's author!
Kristi
this was a baby shower gift, and now it's one of baby girls favorite books. she loves looking at the bright colors on the animals!
Ashlee Telschow

I love love love kid books! Now that I have a son and daughter of my own, it is awesome to be able to re-read stories like this with them. Brings back great memories. I bought this book for my son about two weeks ago at our local Walmart. Most of the books he has at home were given to me by my sister, that had belonged to my nephew (who is now 14.) And most of the books are longer books that don't keep a two year old s attention. After realizing he had very few short picture books to get started
Samia (Sam)
I've rated this book with 5 stars as it has been a favourite with my reception class.The colourful illustrations are eye-catching and the rhyming narrative provides opportunity for children to join in with reading the story about the brown bear who is looking at another animal.That animal is then asked who it is looking at and so on.
After reading the story once, I say to the children 'I see a -------- (children's response) looking at me.'
This method encourages many learning skills as children ar
Krista Lineweaver
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is a poetry book written by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle. This book is intended for the nursery aged audience because it is just an introduction of poetry. It is a great book that includes poetic techniques such as repetition and rhyme. The repetition in the book is the repeating of the phrases, "what do you see" and "looking at me." The children will be able to catch on to what the next line of the story is going to be and could eventually begin readin ...more
Brandi Smith
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" is a picturebook written by Bill Martin Jr. and illustrated by Eric Carle. It is intended for children from birth to age 5(N).
I did not detect a plot in this story. It sort of reminded me of a game that I had played in elementary school where each student was asked to name an object and at the end of the game the last student had to try and recall all of the objects that had been named.
Because I think that this book is a great learning tool, I have
Hayley Swanson
I know this is a classic, but for some reason I just can’t bring myself to enjoy it very much. The illustrations are clearly Eric Carle style, which many kids who are fans of his will be attracted to, and the repetitive nature of the story is a great method of helping early readers to identify similar words, as well as to understand the concept of rhyme. The book also provides lessons about colors and different animals, things kids tend to love very much.

I do question the blue horse, though. It’
Maria Katrina
Many may see this book as overly simplistic but I think it is ideal for young children that are just starting to learn phonics and words to struggling readers to take ownership of their reading by feeling more confident. The words are repetitive and easy insuring that young and struggling readers can get through the book with much ease and have a feeling of accomplishment at finishing reading a book.

It is a book that chains one character to another. It starts with a question of what Brown Bear
Chiix Moses
MY REVIEW

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is a book that most children have read to them, or read themselves growing up. This is because it truly is a good read. I like this story so much because it teaches many things using a very simple context. The book teaches colours, animals, observation, and even can help children with ordering. The book also features a large amount of repetition, something that is essential to children's books, and children's learning. I think that this book is a
Kristen Scelonge
Grade level/interest level: Primary (1st-3rd grade)
Reading Level: Lexile level, 440 LAD
Genre: Modern Fantasy/Science Fiction

Main characters: the animals and teacher in the story
Setting:where the animals are and a classroom
POV: story is told by a narrator

This book repeatedly asks children who are being read the story the simple question of "What do you see?" In doing so the children are more closely examining each page, learning colors, animals, and how words rhyme. Each rhyme leads effortlessly
Orla Dennehy
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See??

The story is simple and clear, it educates the reader using rhythmic sentences regarding various colours and animals. As the story comes to an end, the natural progression of the story leads to an assessment of what the reader can remember from listening to/reading the book. The book has large definite illustrations that revolve explicitly to the story.
Although this book uses basic sentence structure, this allows for it to be used for children with SEN.
Kat
There's no real plot here, just colorful pictures of animals and a repetitive pattern designed to get kids interacting with the book. My son LOVES these books. This is the third one that Carle and Martin teamed up on that we've gotten from the library, and the little man participates eagerly in the reading.

Personally, I don't think this one is quite as good as Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? or Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? as the pictures are less "realistic" and the animal
2015 Reading Chal...: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle 2 15 Apr 26, 2015 02:16PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 4 1 4 Sep 02, 2014 04:23AM
Picture book by Bill Martin, Jr. 9 31 Sep 01, 2013 06:34PM
  • From Head to Toe
  • Pajama Time!
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Where is the Green Sheep?
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • The Napping House
  • Mouse Paint
  • Bear Wants More
  • Hooray For Fish!
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka ABC Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3