Start by marking “Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You” as Want to Read:
Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You

Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You

Does your life feel out of balance? Peter Walsh can help you tackle everything in your busy life.

Most of us are so overwhelmed by work, bills, and school and family commitments that we rush from person to person and place to place without ever feeling satisfied—sometimes giving one area of our lives too much attention and other areas not enough. It’s always too little or t
Published March 3rd 2009 by Free Press (first published February 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Enough Already!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enough Already!

Tiffany
Feb 17, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancysruleof50
So, the subtitle of the book is "Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You" and some of the descriptions I've read were about "clearing your mind" and "freeing your mind" and the like. I got the impression, then, that this book would be about getting rid of negativity in your mind so that you could become a better you and find a happy relationship, good family life, good job, etc. Instead, it starts from the assumption that you already have the relationship, family life, and job, but you wa ...more
Maggie
Mar 03, 2011 Maggie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, a moment of madness lead me to borrow this book from the local library. I was looking at their audio books thinking how good it would be to listen to a variety of things whilst I drive around. NOT this book though. Although I appreciate what the author was trying to get across it didn't work for me. Probably because he specialises in clearing out clutter and isn't a psychologist. Will definitely be more selective in future with my audio book choices.
Kris
Sep 04, 2016 Kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seems like an interesting book, but I didn't pay enough attention to the tagline - I was looking for clutter help, not relationship and money help. I'm not in the space for this.
Deb
Feb 18, 2017 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't about what the topic suggested so I stopped listening half way through, just after being told that he was going to help me get rid of the passive aggression in my (non-existent) relationship. And of course, the reader may not say they're not passive aggressive, because as he says, a passive aggressive person will "deny, deny, deny" it. The tone of the book is quite negative.
It was a novel start to the book to be told that I had to have my house clutter cleared before listening further.
Edith
Jun 30, 2015 Edith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some people complained that this book didn't go into as much detail as they would have liked, but to be fair, Walsh mentions in this book that he wrote about organization and decluttering and body issues in his previous books, "It's All Too Much!," "The It's All Too Much Workbook" and "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" I haven't read the last one, but after reading this book, I might add it to the TBR pile. You might want to read those three books first, if you aren't familiar with Walsh ...more
Amy
Feb 27, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Enough Already," organizing expert Peter Walsh takes de-cluttering principles and applies them to many areas of life: relationships, work, family, money, health, and our sense of well-being.

I embraced the idea promised by the subtitle, "Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You," but I was disappointed that Walsh separated this topic so thoroughly from his advice about physical clutter. He writes, "Getting rid of the physical clutter is, as they say, another story, and it's one I've alr
Ron
Basically, Walsh takes the same principles he's applied in previous books to the physical clutter that accumulates around your home and the weight that accumulates around our eating habits and brings to bear on every other aspect of our lives: home, work, money, health, etc. For Walsh, it all boils down to a simple question; okay, two simple questions: What is your vision for the life you want to live, and do your choices and actions actively reinforce that vision?

If they don't, he says, you ne
Brandon
Jun 21, 2016 Brandon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Remember in high school when you had an agonizing essay due and in order to meet the page limit you recycled parts of your argument just to get it done with? That what Peter Walsh does in his book "Enough Already!", and it's far worse than whatever you handed your 10th grade English teacher. I picked up this audiobook from the library on a whim hoping for some practical advice, but instead all I got was a berating tone and Walsh beating the same three or four subjects to unholy death. His favori ...more
Jay
Mar 03, 2009 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skills, nonfiction
"While the clutter you see around you might seem bad, even overwhelming and paralyzing, the physical clutter that fills our homes is nothing compared to the invisible clutter that fillws our heads."

In this book, organization expert Peter Walsh says we buy stuff for the promise it offers and the world doesn't work like that. Enough Already is intended to take you from a vision of the life you want in several key areas so we can deal with underlying feelings to become our best selves.

The book foc
Adrienne
There were some good ideas and thoughts in this book about how we can clear clutter from other aspects of our lives, similar to how we would clear physical clutter. However, I found the book was cluttered (yes, cluttered) with a lot of worksheets and activity sheets -- some were helpful, but most were not. Also, I felt that many times the author was treading into territory he did not have much knowledge or expertise about and should have consulted or referenced other sources in those areas to ma ...more
Alexandra Chauran
This book was about on par with Zen Habits - Handbook for Life in that it was a lot of pretty obvious advice. Walsh even admits that people already know what is good for them, it's just a matter of motivation and establishing good habits to get there. Walsh walks through a wide variety of topics pertaining to mental clutter, which was helpful. However, there was nothing mind-blowing and the book grew tired and repetitive with some advice seeming completely impractical and condescending towards p ...more
Jensa
Apr 12, 2011 Jensa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a champion of the anti-clutter movement, which drew me to this book. I didn't like that within the first few pages the author told you to read his previous book (about decluttering your home) before continuing. Almost made me want to stop! Luckily I kept on because there were several good points made throughout the book that inspired me to cut out the unnecessary. I especially liked the sections on relationships, homes, and children. There were chapters that didn't apply to me so I skimmed t ...more
Molly
Jan 21, 2014 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this all made sense, he makes some good points about how physical clutter affects you mentally. I wanted to throw the book across the room by the time I was done with his chapter on parenting. As far as I could tell from his wikipedia entry, the man doesn't have kids. He had some lovely and unrealistic advice on how to parent. Whatever. In a perfect universe. And I got sick of how he kept talking about what "your partner" should be doing to help. Obviously geared to an upperclass lifestyle, ...more
David Peters
Jan 07, 2011 David Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why I read It
I love everything about decluttering and simple living so I read all the books I can about the subject. Don Aslett is another good source for this topic.

The Good
Great advice, that in my experience, we all need. I have yet to meet a truly decluttered person.

The Bad
More about the psychology behind the mental clutter in our lives rather than the nitty gritty details..

The Ugly (my opinion)
An informative read which I can pretty much guarantee will have something to help you within its pa
Amy
Nov 20, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book so far is very different than what I anticipated from the title, it is very helpful for developing purposeful thinking in all aspects of life. So far the focus is on managing your time, space, and your emotional investments. Mental clutter? Well, just maybe the lack of time management, poor space planning, and immature emotional investment decision-making is what generates mental clutter. I could be on to something here! :-)
Vanessa
Oct 04, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Peter Walsh's books. He makes the subject of de-clutting your house approachable and breaks it into easy and logical steps. In this book, he talks about mental clutter regarding relationships, work, money, and your home, and ties those topics in to physical clutter. I am amazed at the effect that physical clutter can have on your entire life. Peter's book is inspirational and I highly recommend it to anyone facing any clutter, be it physical, mental, or both.
Erin
May 27, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I admit to skimming this book a bit after discovering that it is definitely targeted at an older audience. I could use a similar booked targeted at the twenty-something recent college graduates (who are currently living at home).
That said, I found the chapters on relationships and health pretty universal and quite helpful.
A good read. I recommend it and look forward to picking it up again in a few years when it has more relevance for me.
Liz Michaels
I don't have problem with clutter, mental or physical, so I just read the book to see if I could learn anything new, or recommend it to friends.
Sorry but I won't. There're much better books about decluttering your mind and life.
I agree with the notion that a cluttered mind produces a cluttered environment, Clutter can also be a sign of some health problem) and cluttered environments make it hard to think clearly.
Diane
Jul 07, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not so great! Couldn't wait for it to be done. I really like Peter Walsh's TV show, but this was very repetitive and didn't really offer much new or ground breaking. Lots of reference to the questionnaires, which if you're listening to the book as I was, is disruptive, because you don't carry the pdf print out around with you.
Kari
Jan 07, 2012 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I picked up this book at Monica's recommendation - thanks Monica!
I don't feel like my life is terribly cluttered, but the focus on taking care of yourself first is one I try to embrace. Walsh discusses how to declutter relationships, work, family, money, and health. Underlying it all is, of course, cleaning out the physical clutter.
Ashley
Jun 12, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If the life you live doesn't make you feel centered and something has got to change."

This was a random impulse pick up at the library (I do those every so often for variety). It was a great overview/pep talk, but only a few of the areas were helpful for me. The overall gist is living in line with your ideal vision of your life, which I'm fully behind.
Lauri
Mar 11, 2010 Lauri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. More a self-help/motivational books for improving different areas of your life. I did use some of the practical applications from the chapter on finances. I really just scanned the headings throughout the book and read some of the letters from readers.
Alison
Sep 28, 2013 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about clearing mental clutter to be the best you. I liked it and it had great ideas and suggestions on how to “de-clutter” relationships, money, work, health and family. Make small changes, live in the present, face fears, and celebrate successes. I know I feel so much better when my spaces are clutter free - and even better when I take care of my mental clutter. Good read.
Book Him Danno
Love the clutter buster and his appearances on Oprah. I try to keep things from filling my house, but with five kids, and dog the house is full of things. This is a great book to get you motivated to give, throw and recycle things you really don't need and really don't need to keep around gathering dust. If you need a boost to get your house in order read this book.
Daniel Garza
Oct 26, 2010 Daniel Garza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of common sense chapters. But the read is light and keeps your attention.

There are testimonials from folks Peter Walsh has helped. Some activities to do on your owns.

Overall I would recommend it to someone who is looking for a way out of the clutter, be it physical or mental.
Mary
Dec 07, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All adults
Shelves: 2015
Wow! Everything from relationships,family,work,home,play,diet, and Spiritual Life is affected by your way of thinking or being cluttered. I suggest reading rather than listening as you can highlight. Peter covers A LOT of very useful information.
Maria
Jun 17, 2009 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. I need to stop reading about organizing and just do it. I did like the layout of the chapters and dividing it up into sections of my life and relationships rather than just the "stuff" in my house.
Wendy
I had high hopes of this book, but was disappointed to find that there was nothing particularly new in it, apart from the examples Peter cited about how he approached particular challenges. Everything else, I'd already gleaned from seeing him on Clean Sweep, and his previous book.
Sarah Combs
Sep 27, 2009 Sarah Combs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I can't finish it. Mr. Walsh should stick to home decluttering in - I don't think minds are his thing. This book feels like he took his book It's All Too Much and just added a few thoughts mental clutter. Or maybe I just have so much mental clutter I don't get it.
Helen
Nov 09, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and got some ideas for my own life. I won't say that there was anything in this book that I hadn't heard/read before, but sometimes just the way someone phrases something can provide the motivational push you need.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • One Year to an Organized Work Life
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • DailyOM: Inspirational Thoughts for a Happy, Healthy, and Fulfilling Day
  • Absolutely Organize Your Family
  • Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back
  • Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide to Caring for Everything in Your Home
19313
Born and raised in Australia, Peter moved to Los Angeles in 1994 to launch a corporation to help organizations improve employee’s job satisfaction and effectiveness. He considers himself to be part-contractor, part-therapist in his approach to helping individuals attain their goals.

When not wading through clutter and large-scale disorganization, Peter divides his time between his work in Los Angel
More about Peter Walsh...