Start by marking “The Life of St. Francis of Assisi” as Want to Read:
The Life of St. Francis of Assisi

The Life of St. Francis of Assisi

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Francis, go and build up My house, which as thou seest, is falling into ruin." To fulfill this command of Our Lord, St. Francis of Assisi (c. 1181-1226) began by restoring physical churches and continued by building up the spiritual Church. Francis' humility, purity, and true joy inspired many men and women to conversion and a deeper faith. Others joined with him in servi...more
Published April 1st 2010 by TAN Books (first published 1260)

To ask other readers questions about The Life of St. Francis of Assisi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of St. Francis of Assisi

K.D. Absolutely
Nov 29, 2013 K.D. Absolutely rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to K.D. by: Robertson Poblete
A book about a saint written by another saint. How can I dislike this book?

I have always been fascinated by St. Francis of Assisi. Well, prior to this book, the little that I knew about him are due to his images in the Church like the one feeding pigeons and the beautiful song "Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi" that pleads about making oneself an instrument of Thy peace. So, when I saw this book at Totus Bookstore, I bought this book over the others that talk about more serious subjects such as h...more
David Joseph
Super-mysterious?

Hagiographical effort continues to strike me as an exceedingly odd activity.

It's an impression more strongly reinforced now by the queer and childish forward prepared for this particular printing.

Bonaventure provides something like a serviceable snapshot of whatever century he was living in. So, I guess I should look up which century that was and write it down or something. Weird.

Somebody handed me a copy of this. She pushed it into my hand like we were sitting in a movie theate...more
Mckinley
I enjoyed this very readable religious biography of the life of St. Francis written by a contemporary- St. Bonaventure. It is an example of what it means to die and be reborn to a life in relationship with God.

like the foreword by Donna Tartt. While she's written award winning books, her connection to this volume is not explained. She read about St. Francis and liked him. So perhaps it was an attempt to broaden the apple of the book?
Jared Longoria
St. Francis sang and preached in the vernacular before it was cool ;) A great biography of Francis, though quite romanticized. Francis is one of my greatest role models and should be known be Catholics and Protestants alike ...however, his occasional taste for asceticism is something I try not to emulate.
Jason
Excellent read. Great description of this beloved saint. A lot of facts about the way he lived his life, his miracles and his works. I had previously spent a good deal of time studying St Francis and I still learned much from this book. I will continue to keep and and refer back to reading it as there were many great sections.
Rachel
I read it for one of my college courses. I'm not Catholic so going in I new virtually nothing about Francis of Assisi. Post read I think he's pretty sweet. He was super dedicated to Christ and his calling. Sometimes you buy a book for a course and can't wait to be rid of it. This one though, I think I'll keep.
Abraham
Found a remaindered copy at the CHPL book sale... I read a chapter many evenings in Lent. The introduction is vacuous, but the text remains as frightening as I remembered. Bonaventure somehow renders Francis as an ordinary miracle, as if this was the life we all could live.
Catherine
Happy are they who will persevere in what they have begun.

-Last words of St. Francis of Assisi
Daniel Jaindl
Excellent read!
First marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Joshua Duffy
Joshua Duffy is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Jul 17, 2014
Enid
Enid marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Lena Binnington
Lena Binnington marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Elias Hämäläinen
Elias Hämäläinen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Chiara
Chiara marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Bryan Burke
Bryan Burke marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Kevin Freeland
Kevin Freeland is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bonaventure (b. 1221 as John of Fidanza) was an Italian medieval scholastic theologian and philosopher, the eighth Minister General of the Order of Friars Minor. He was a Cardinal Bishop of Albano. He was canonized on 14 April 1482 by Pope Sixtus IV and declared a Doctor of the Church in the year 1588 by Pope Sixtus V. He is known as the "Seraphic Doctor" (Latin: "Doctor Seraphicus"). Many writing...more
More about Bonaventure...
Bonaventure The Journey of the Mind to God Breviloquium St. Bonaventure's on the Reduction of the Arts to Theology Bonaventure: Mystic of God's Word