Start by marking “Otomen, Vol. 8 (Otomen, #8)” as Want to Read:
Otomen, Vol. 8 (Otomen, #8)

Otomen, Vol. 8 (Otomen #8)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  691 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Reads R to L (Japanese Style), for T audiences. Ryo's grandfather becomes ill, so she decides to move to Fukuoka to take care of him. With Ryo transferring schools, does this mean that Asuka will have to bid farewell to his love…forever?
Poche, 192 pages
Published January 13th 2010 by Delcourt (first published July 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Otomen, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otomen, Vol. 8

Michael (Tattoogirl Reads)
I loved this volume. There are a few twists in this installment that keep the manga fresh. As always, super cute.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Something about this series, that's cute, adorable, fun to read and just...don't know what else to say really. This is becoming my new favorite series.
Ryo’s abrupt departure to help her ailing grandfather is met with dismay from her friends. Asuka is particularly hurt but tries not to show it as he and his friends try to make her last few days with them memorable. Each character tries to give Ryo something of himself. Their efforts run from the risible to the beautiful with Juta striving to give Asuka and Ryo some time alone. As always, his efforts don’t quite go as planned.

(On a side note, this reader wonders why Ryo doesn’t have any girlfrie
Amy Keeley
Not much time, but I wanted to note that I really loved how Ryo and Asuka's relationship handled its small crisis. I'm also looking forward to seeing how things go between Shiruba's granddaughter and Tonomine. (Wish there was more Juta, though.)
I love the story, but Asuka's mom is so freaking annoying. But I love the other characters so 5 stars :D
Finally some progress, but sometimes it feels as if there are too many Otomen in this series. And they alwats seem to pop up around Asuka.

Asuka's mother is concerned about the deteroriation of the morals in Japan and the Otomen phenomenon. As she is chairman of Ginyuri High School, attended by most of our favourite Otomen, she decides to introduce some new rules and direct the youth into more traditional gender roles. Any unmanly behaviour will lead to immediate suspension of the involved stude
Otomen continues to bring me great enjoyment :) One thing I really like is how fleshed out the secondary characters are - even though they're not main characters they have distinct personalities. I'm glad we get their storylines as well. I'm also a fan of the fact that Aya Kanno isn't afraid to add new characters who bring merit to the story as well.

Looks like it's taking a serious turn in this volume though; I'm interested to see where this goes!
Paranormal Suspense
Tonomine had a part and I really hope he gets together with that girl from the shop. Ryo's really tough, old, arrogant grandfather is allegedly ill, and she goes away to take care of him. Then Asuka comes to visit and finds out the grandfather has a secret.

Then Asuka's mom shows up and starts terrorizing the high school. So many people are involved in the school's restructuring. Asuka's mom is very scary and terrifying!

Shimin Li
The book is about how a girl is transferring schools after having a love relationship with a boy in her school.
It's difficult to have long-distance relationships, no matter what kind of relationship it is.
This reminds me of the summer I had, one of my friend moved out of state and go to another school. All of my friends and I knew he was going away, so we all tried to at least have some great memories together.
This series continues to keep my attention because it is FUNNY! This vol. goes more into Ryo, Hajime, and Mrs. Masamune. I really enjoy how Kanno sets up the "problems" and then solves them satisfyingly. Of course, the shojo-ness comes thru on every page, and that's part of the charm.
pretty entertaining, especially if one can turn one's feminist switch off, which i mostly can (why thank you japan), and the relationship between Ryo and Asuka is slowly making progress. it needed more beauty samurai though. there should always be more beauty samurai.
Rebecca Ann
I really liked how Asuka and Ryo are seperated and reunited in this volume, and Auka makes another Otomen friend! The final chapter where the school is being reformed by Asuka's mother to eliminate Otomen is a little dystopian, which I love.
Resolves the "Ryo moved away!" storyline and introduces a new one. Asuka's mother, who has a position of authority at his school, decides in the last few pages to make the main goal of the school to churn out manly men and feminine women.
So many fun things happen in this book! Ryo returns, her grandfather (giggle) comes to live with her, and Asuka's mom goes overboard nutso....
This was a great volume filled with surprises that keep you reading to find out what will happen next.

Also crazy cra-cra mom is nuts.

Yes, that is all!

I think at this point, I'm just going to wait and see how it ends before I read any more.
Oct 20, 2012 Cathy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Favorite new character: Ryo's grandpa
Павел Попов
Павел Попов marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Pam marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
  • Love Mode Vol. 9 (Love Mode #9)
  • Crazy Girl Shin Bia Volume 2
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 4
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 12
  • 19 Days,Volume #1
  • The One, Volume #8
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 12: Sai's Day Out (Hikaru no Go, #12)
  • Future Lovers Vol. 2
Aya Kanno (菅野 文; Kanno Aya) is a Japanese shōjo manga artist. She is the former assistant of mangaka Masashi Asaki of Psychometrer Eiji fame. Her debut was in the January 2001 issue of Hana to Yume with Soul Rescue. Thus far, her work has only been serialized in Hakusensha's shōjo manga anthologies: Hana to Yume, The Hana to Yume, Hana to Yume Plus, and now primarily in Bessatsu Hana to Yume, in w ...more
More about Aya Kanno...

Otomen (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Otomen, Vol. 1 (Otomen, #1)
  • Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)
  • Otomen, Vol. 3 (Otomen, #3)
  • Otomen, Vol. 4 (Otomen, #4)
  • Otomen, Vol. 5 (Otomen, #5)
  • Otomen, Vol. 6 (Otomen, #6)
  • Otomen, Volume 7 (Otomen #7)
  • Otomen, Vol. 9 (Otomen, #9)
  • Otomen, Vol. 10 (Otomen, #10)
  • Otomen, Vol. 11 (Otomen, #11)