The Survivors

The Survivors

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When a passenger plane goes down in the Appalachians, rescue teams start looking for survivors and discover that a five-year-old boy and a woman are missing. Twenty miles from the crash site, Deborah Sanborn has a vision of two survivors, cold, hurting and scared. Over the years she has learned to trust her gift, and she senses these strangers are in terrible danger. She s...more
Paperback, Large Print, 461 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by Wheeler Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivors

Buggy
I always struggle with Sharon Sala/Dinah McCall. Some of her books I've enjoyed others I've not even finished, -all have a high cheese factor. This one had a great premise, a follow through that I wasn't expecting (and not in a good way) with main characters becoming secondary and an over the top maniacal bad guy. Some of the dialogue in this was also laughably old fashioned and or just plain ridiculous with love scenes the same. The following being almost unreadable.

"When they began the dance...more
Isis FG
Jaime
I had a hard time putting this down! This was the first Dinah McCall (or Sharon Sala) I’ve read, and I wouldn’t hesitate to read more. The rescue happens rather early in the story, so I wondered what else was going to happen. The weather didn’t disappoint.

My one complaint is that I found it hard to believe that the bad guy would survive as long as he did in the wilderness in bad weather, injured, with very little food and/or water. But I rarely read anything that doesn’t require at least a littl...more
Gail
An amazing book. Never a dull moment. Full of excitement and wondering what will happen next. Thanks to Linda for suggesting I read this book!
Pinkgreen
First I started slowly, didn't really get into it and set it aside. Then it was time for the Bout of Books Readathon, so I picked it up again and read the entire thing in one day. Which I believe is the right way to read this book.

I really liked it. It was full of endearing characters. There was also a bit of suspense, and two cute romances.
I also appreciated the characterization of the main antagonist, who wasn't a cartoonish villain but a character motivated by desperation.
(Although I did ha...more
Lyndi
So I gave this one another shot and I'm kinda on the shelf about it. The plot was interesting, though entirely unrealistic. The characters were fine... none of them had a lot of back story or development, probably due to the fact that there were seven main characters. Everything was just kinda average, even the psychic slant was a non-event. But what kills me is the way it was written. Jumping back and forth, sometimes for just a paragraph, to focus on the various characters was exhausting. Than...more
Jennie Leigh
I enjoyed the book in general, though I found myself struggling to suspend my disbelief more than once. First off, it seemed highly contrived for everyone else to die in the plan crash. It just didn't make much sense to me, especially considering the real life crashes that have been much more violent, yet have seen survivors walk away. (IE the 1989 crash in Sioux City, Iowa) And are we just supposed to be amazed that not only did the two senators wind up on the same flight, but it just happened...more
Nath
Mf-s
Mar 12, 2008 Mf-s rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Mf-s by: Terry
Wanda
A great book, couldn't put it down!

Summary:
When a passenger plane goes down in the Appalacians, rescue teams start looking for the survivors and discover that a five-year-old boy and a woman are missing. Twenty miles from the crash site, Deborah Sanborn has a vision of two survivors, cold, hurting and scared. Over the years she has learned to trust her gift, and she senses these strangers are in terrible danger. She sees a hunter, moving in for the kill.

Four generations of O'Ryan men have gather...more
Cindy
This is the first time I've anything by this author but it won't be the last. I really liked this story - it had plenty of action and the characters were well-drawn and compelling.

A plane has crashed in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky and there are 3 people missing - a senator, a young woman, and a 5 year old boy. A woman of the mountains has the gift of sight and goes to help the rescuers. The boy, Johnny, is the youngest of the O'Ryan men and they rally to search for him. I liked the relatio...more
Miss Kim
My first Dinah McCall book and I thought it was pretty good. A young woman and a child witness a murder after their plane crashes in the snowy mountains of Kentucky. They fear the murderer will want to kill them too, if he knew they witnessed his crime. They are forced to run on foot through a blizzard in search of rescue. With the help of a lonely psychic woman who lives on the mountain, the boy's family is desperately trying to reach them in time. There are to romances going on in the story. T...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
I was surprised by how much I loved this book. I picked it up for under 20cents at a second-hand book fair, and only chose to read it now for a monthly reading challenge.
What a great surprise. A whole family of military men rallying together to save one of their own. I liked how these men worked together and truly cared for each other. They were all wonderful characters, from 85 year old Thorn to 5 year old Johnny.
There was two romances in the story, but I enjoyed Mike and Deborah more than Evan...more
Gina
Awesome book! Once again, McCall delivers. You swear you can feel the cold, the fear of the victims; the anger, fear and desperation of the 'hunter'; the fear, anticipation and hope of the searchers. When Deborah's 'gift' appears, you can feel it happening, and with words, McCall uses them wisely, making you feel like you're there, along for the ride, running with Johnny and Molly, feel the O'Ryan's desperation, and the pull that leads Deborah to them. For some of the characters to find love at...more
Sarah A.
A suspensful book with some romance mixed in.

I read this multiples times and enjoyed it a lot. There are some gross parts but if you want you can just skip over them.

A story about a young boy, and woman, and a man who survived a plane crash. There was once a fourth but he was killed by another suvivor. The 2 witnesses fled and are being followed by the third. The third wants to silence the only witnesses.

Deborah Sanborn has visions and sees two survivors wandering on the snowy mountain. Now sh...more
Jacqueline
Jan 28, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic suspence lovers.
I really liked this book. The only thing that kept it from being 5 stars is that the 2 romances or at least the main romance could have been a bit richer. I'm happy they fell in love, I just wish I could have read more and experienced more about it. I like all the generations of the men being together and supporting each other. I loved the pyschic aspect. I did wonder how the bad guy stayed alive while injured in the weather etc. After all, Molly and Johnny nearly died after only 2 nights. How d...more
Pauline
Simple, predictable and way too perfect of an ending.
April
I really liked this book. It was really good.
Kristin
The beginning of the book was a little confusing as you met each character, but I couldn't stop reading until the end so I would know if Molly and Johnny were safe from Senator Darren Wilson and what his fate would be. The suspense just about killed me. As a warning,there is a bit of swearing through out the book and there is a love scene(I skipped to the end).
Monica
I loved this book. Once I had a chance to sit down and read uninterrupted, I never put the book down until it was finished. I cried and laughed while reading. I felt every emotion Dinah McCall/Sharon Sala wanted the reader to feel. My only wish is that the book didn't end!!! I've read several books by DM/SS, and I've never been disappointed.
Amber Jones
A person who can see the future helps to find an airplane crash. There are 3 survivors, a woman, a child, and a Senator that kills one of his counterparts when the plane crashes. The woman and child witness the murder and the Senator tries to find them to silence them.

A little different, but good story overall. Pretty quick read.
Maria
Good read! Has a good strong female heroine :)
Pamela(AllHoney)
Something a little different. Who knows what will work for me or not. This one did work and I loved it. In this story a plane crashes and almost everyone is killed, except for a little boy and a woman, and the man who wants to kill them. Edge of your seat excitment!
Lacey
This novel is a mix between romance and action adventure. The story was a quick and enjoyable read until the end. It lost its consistency and it seemed as if she was just adding random events to add pages instead of using key events to support the plot.
Cindy
Probably a 3 1/2. I really like it and wish it would have been longer, then it would have gotten 4 stars. My only complaint was that the romantic parts in the book were a little far fetched. I needed a light read so it fit the bill for me.
Amy
Interesting book. Written really good. Not my style of book but surprisingly good. I loved the characters although some aspects were not something that would take place in the real world. It was a good story though!
Gillian
On starting this book i didn't think i was going to get into it, i was wrong and once it had me i was gripped. i wasn't overly impressed with one of the romances, but it didn't spoil the story and is well worth a read.
Elaine
A very enjoyable read. All strong characters, thank goodness no ditzy females needing saving everyone
All members of O'Ryan clan have survived crisis in their lives and become stronger for it
Juuli
Well, another one with a very good beginning but a cheesy end. There were so amazingly good moments I couldn't stop reading. But there were also parts where I just had to roll my eyes.
Maggie Rivers
Nov 11, 2008 Maggie Rivers rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Maggie by: Myself
Sharon writes a note to her readers in this book that is worth the price of the book alone. It will certainly send chills down your spine. Absolutely inspiring!
  • The Chosen
Dinah McCall is a pseudonym for author Sharon Sala.

It was a job she hated that drove Sharon Sala to put the first page of paper in an old typewriter, but it was the love of the craft that kept her writing. Her first efforts at writing came in 1980 when she began a book that wound up under her bed. A second book followed in 1981 and suffered a similar fate, but she claims the writing bug had bitten...more
More about Dinah McCall...
Jackson Rule Mimosa Grove Storm Warning Bloodlines Tallchief