Start by marking “Fool Me Once” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,926 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
With a spark of romance and a bevy of chaotic canines (Romantic Times), #1 New York Times bestselling author Fern Michaels delivers a wonderfully entertaining novel about the things we do to protect the ones we love and the happiness life can bring when we least expect it. . .

Published July 1st 2007 by Zebra (first published August 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fool Me Once, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool Me Once

Lynn Townsend
Dec 11, 2009 Lynn Townsend rated it liked it
I was sort of astonished by this book.

I still can't really decide if I actually liked it or not. The author spends a lot of time TELLING you a thing without showing you ANYTHING. Our heroine, Ollie, cries a lot, but I never once actually felt a pang of emotional sympathy for her. The story itself was interesting enough to keep me going, but in the end, when everyone gets their happy ending, I really never thought they wouldn't.

And I do mean, everyone. gets. their. happy. ending.

Wow, seriously,
Ella
Oct 05, 2015 Ella rated it it was ok
Shelves: realistic
I can summarize the book with one word - pathetic.
-The main character, Olivia. The main thing she did was whine like a five-year-old and cause inconvenience to others in order to achieve a goal she didn't really want achieve to in the first place. Plus, she was a hypocrite - she said she hated her mother because she was cruel and only loved money, but in the end she didn't have any problem spending her mother's money.
-The romance - God. They knew each other for two days before they started to pl
Catch22*
Oct 04, 2007 Catch22* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit
Olivia is a self employeed animal photographer who lives a pretty normal life. Everything is good. She has a great career, a father whom she is very close with, a home that she adores and ofcourse her lovable yorkie.

Then one day Olivia gets a knock on the door from a lawyer who turns her life upside down. Suddenly she learns that the mom she thought passed away at her birth has been alive all these years and just recently died. In her mothers will she leaves her a huge estate, along with a mail
Jul 02, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it
This book had an interesting plot line in reference to a Mother, who chose not to have a relationship with her daughter but then left her a mess to clean up -- the left over mess of a long ago robbed bank -- robbed by her estranged Mother and two of her other friends right after graduation. I would have liked to see how this mess resolved itself. However, the pathetically developing relationship with the lawyer of a DOG who inherited his owners estate became too much to stomach. I was listening ...more
Renee
Aug 08, 2010 Renee added it
Shelves: romance
I found this book at the Salvation Army several months ago (I can't resist looking at the book table when we drop off donations) and finally got around to reading it. I now understand why I see Michaels' name on bookshelves so often! This book was a delight to read, light while full of enough plot to be fully engaging. It didn't feel like a romance, even though I know Michaels is most well known as a romance writer. I also get the feeling that most of her books are far more serious that this one ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Dec 06, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it did not like it
.5 STARS

"Olivia Lowell always believed her father's claim that her mother died in childbirth, until the shocking day a lawyer informs her that her mother has just passed away, leaving her a fortune. The money comes with a caveat - and a confession. In her will, Olivia's mother reveals that she and two college friends committed a crime long ago, and now she wants Olivia to track down her accomplices and convince them to come clean.

Feeling betrayed by her father, and unsure that she even wants her
Gail Amendt
Mar 24, 2015 Gail Amendt rated it it was ok
I read this for a book club. Otherwise I would probably never have read a mass market paperback romance. I have nothing against a well written light romance. They have their place for times when one doesn't really want to think, or when one is feeling the need for a happy ending. I do, however, still expect the plot to be somewhat plausible and consistent, and for characters to behave in a realistic way. This book failed to meet those expectations. There were holes in the plot large enough to dr ...more
Tracey
Oct 10, 2009 Tracey rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. Its light on the romance and heavy on the character coming to terms with a mother she never knew existed. Olivia learns of her mother's existence at age 34 and a week after she died. Her mother asks her for one favor, right the wrongs she and 3 firends committed when they were in college. So now Olivia has to decide does she return the money her mom stole from a bank and do a favor to a dead woman who abandoned her at birth or ignore mother's final wishes.
Emily
Sep 07, 2009 Emily rated it did not like it
This was quite possibly the dumbest book I have ever read. The characters were one dimensional, at best, and I've never read so many cliches in my life! I'm actually ashamed that I finished the whole book. I should have put it down at the beginning when I knew it was going to be stupid. Don't wast your time with it. Not worth it!
Katrina Perolino
Apr 13, 2012 Katrina Perolino rated it really liked it
This was the first Fern Michaels book I bought and read, and it did not fail to make me happy. I liked the simple, realistic flow of the story, and the chemistry between Jeff and Olivia. It was cute, to say the most.
Dolores
Don't bother to read. Found it painful at times, and was just willing the plot to take a more interesting turn. It felt like the author got sick of writing and just made up a feel good ending to finish the book.
Sandie
May 19, 2012 Sandie rated it it was amazing
This was a great read especially for folks who have dogs.. especially Yorkies.. It was a romance, mystery, dog lover book. It really keeps you moving along. It is a book I had trouble putting down. I so enjoyed it..
Tina
Oct 01, 2009 Tina rated it liked it
I found this to be a fun story to read and that the dogs added a unique touch to the story. This was a nice and easy read that was enjoyable - I do like reading books by this author. Nothing too heavy, just right.
Guidinglight72hotmail.com
This was the best book that I have ever read, bar none!!! I couldn't wait to finish it and then lend it to my sisters. It was great!!!!!!! :) Bravo to Fern Michaels for this wonderful book!!! :)
Kathi
May 01, 2015 Kathi rated it liked it
Very smooth read, I was eager to get back to the story. But, it is obviously fiction. Ms. Michaels demonstrates that she knows nothing about dog rescues, the process involved in getting a license in Va, or about life with multiple foster dogs, even if they are tiny. Foundations aren't generally set up to fund every humanitarian need under the sun, they specialize. Multi-billion dollar companies are not headed by just anyone that needs a job. All of this, and the number of un-neutered pets with p ...more
Erica
Nov 12, 2010 Erica rated it it was ok
Predictable. Forgettable. -e
Monkeyface
Aug 17, 2014 Monkeyface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to Fool Me Once by Fern Michaels. No other author plumbs the depths of the human heart - or portrays the joys of human redemption - quite like Fern Michaels. In Fool Me Once, she captures the fraught, yet richly satisfying story of one woman's search for the mother she never knew?and her discovery of the woman she's yet to become. Olivia Lowell always believed her father's claim that her mother died in childbirth, until the shocking day a lawyer informs her that her mother has just pass ...more
Dale Safford
Feb 03, 2013 Dale Safford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to believe that a man exists such as the one in this book - handsome, talented, totally committed, perfect! The romance is a little too fast and too predictable. The story however is totally fun with doggies running all around and even being judges of people's character.

Olivia has been raised by her father, knowing that her mother died when she was born. It has been a good life, and they went into business together as pet photographers, but now her father has retired to a tropical clim
Mary Wyman
Aug 12, 2015 Mary Wyman rated it liked it
The book was good. One thing I wish was different was how the plot written. Don't get me wrong, the storyline was good. It was 'how' it was executed that I wish was different. The book altogether is like Hallmark movie in the form of a book. And or have the potential of being a Hallmark movie or TV show (if Hallmark has a TV show).
I believe this is the first book I've read where the main character hasn't had any romantic complications whatsoever.
Overall, the book was good. Enjoy :)
Mayda
This chick-let romance is entertaining even if it is predictable. Olivia is shocked and dismayed when the truth about her family history is disclosed to her. How she deals with the problems that were foisted upon her make for an interesting tale. With a bit humor thrown in this light romance, this story has a likable protagonist and believable characters, some not so nice. While Olivia was loathe to accept her mother’s legacy, many of us would have welcomed it!
Shauna
Jul 07, 2013 Shauna rated it did not like it
I tried so hard to like this book. I just couldn't. It's as though the author took three different story ideas and combined them in a not so idyllic way. The conversations were stilted and non-believable and some of the happenings were downright unrealistic.

The "love" story is extremely unbelievable and the fact that she takes dogs from clients is even more so. I take animal portraits and each pet that I do is loved beyond means.

The main character, Olivia, is extremely painful to read about an
Zahra
May 08, 2011 Zahra rated it really liked it
I read the book 'Fool Me Once' because my language teacher told me to find a book with the title that had some April words. I could've chosen another kind of book, but i picked this book because the cover looked very interesting. I really wasn't sure about the book, but when I read the inside of the book that told me what I was reading, i liked what it said!
My opinon of the book was it was really odd in the beginning but when i kept reading it I liked what I read. I enjoyed how the book had a
Charlie
Feb 21, 2014 Charlie rated it really liked it
As far as predictability it is all over the place and not predictable. This book had me cracking up at some of the lines.

There seemed to be several plots going on at once and sometimes I had to sit and think at which character was which to get what was happening.

Janey
Jan 11, 2012 Janey rated it liked it
it was ok. I liked some parts, and then some parts just felt like "fillers". Everything worked out for everyone, with no problems left to solve. I found it a little boring and would have preferred it if Jeff and Olivia's relationship would have developed a little slower and deeper. It seemed a little quick and then next thing you know they are sleeping together and two weeks later, engaged. Not what I would call romantic or even realistic.
The part about the bank robbery and the friends was prob
April
Mar 11, 2015 April rated it liked it
It was alright, but not as good as some other Fern Michaels books I read. Not sure why but it took me a long time to read, I kept putting it down.
Sue Mosher
Mar 06, 2015 Sue Mosher rated it liked it
I really didn't like Olivia at first and I found the story less than plausible. I did get hooked eventually and wanted to find out what happened.
Bernette Beals
Nov 20, 2015 Bernette Beals rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fool Me Once review

Fool Me Once is an entertaining romance book written by author Fern Michaels. Ms. Michaels always writes a great story.
Janie  R. Freeman
Oct 26, 2013 Janie R. Freeman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fernmichaels

Fool Me Once by Fern Michaels
Fool Me Once
by Fern Michaels (Goodreads Author)

Read
My rating:
1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars[ 5 of 5 stars ]
This was an awesome book, I loved it! I loved the main characters and the dogs! I would chuckle so many times with the antics the dogs would pull sometimes,and I just wanted to hug them when they showed such unconditional love. It was a sweet romance,sometimes comical between the two main characters-Olivia and Jeff.The story had mystery to it,
Luann
Sep 21, 2014 Luann rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Storyline was ok, but I can't remember how many times I wanted to slap some sense into the main character.
Cyndi Berve
Complicated & not very well written but entertaining. A good summer beach read.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 14, 2015 10:49AM
  • Ready for Love (Ready for Romance & Ready for Marriage)
  • Trixie Belden Boxed Set #1-#3
  • Across China
  • Secret of the Stone
  • Outlander 8-Book Bundle
  • Spanish Fly
  • Summer's Child & Summer of Roses
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • A Dangerous Man
  • The Ghost of Opalina
  • Female Intelligence
  • Tales of the North
  • A Christmas Star (Cape Light #9)
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I w ...more
More about Fern Michaels...